Embassy of Malaysia gives advice on 'Bangkok shutdown'

webfact

Just like what the American embassy said, which so many British angrily attacked as paranoid panic. In fact, it seems that the Malaysians and most nations considerate of their citizens are giving the same or similar notifications. About the only country that hasn't, at least as far as I have seen so far on these pages, is the UK. I'm starting to think that the UK regards its people in Thailand as mostly a lot of riffraff who the nation is better off without.

Calm down old chap. We British are a proud lot.Stiff upper lip and all that. A? Excuse me, I'm just going to join the memsaab for tea and tiffin.

i think tiffin means afternoon tea,maybe with scones or such like,unless of course tiffin has a different meaning to your good self.

I think tiffin can also mean what, north of the border, they call a wee dram in the afternoon. I was thinking scones, which my 711 lacks. But, to keep on topic, I did enjoy some delightful English crumpets imported via Malaysia on one of those bitterly cold Bangkok mornings the other week. Must go, my memsaab's just struck the gong.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So when all the stores are empty, and new supplies are not getting through, how many Bangkok residents will the protesters claim to be on their side? I can foresee some very angry people, notwithstanding the inability to earn a living, many will not be able to afford the extortionate prices the opportunists will be charging. This plays nicely for the government if they can keep a lid on the violence and prolong the shutdown. Bad move from Suthep in my opinion.

This nonsense about the Malays being safe because they are far from red area is either ignorant or they know some insider information they aren't sharing. Reds have proven themselves quite mobile, in case they haven't noticed. Not only that, but Reds are like spiders. You can't always see them, but they're always there waitiing around for the opportunity to catch an easy meal - they leave behind their cobwebs as evidence of where they've been hiding out. Some of them are so poisenous their bites can kill humans.

I think RED zone refers to a hot zone or danger zone

Not a reference to PTP/RED

• Like 1

This nonsense about the Malays being safe because they are far from red area is either ignorant or they know some insider information they aren't sharing. Reds have proven themselves quite mobile, in case they haven't noticed. Not only that, but Reds are like spiders. You can't always see them, but they're always there waitiing around for the opportunity to catch an easy meal - they leave behind their cobwebs as evidence of where they've been hiding out. Some of them are so poisenous their bites can kill humans.

Finally. Someone who understands English tongue.png

Edited by outsider

So when all the stores are empty, and new supplies are not getting through, how many Bangkok residents will the protesters claim to be on their side? I can foresee some very angry people, notwithstanding the inability to earn a living, many will not be able to afford the extortionate prices the opportunists will be charging. This plays nicely for the government if they can keep a lid on the violence and prolong the shutdown. Bad move from Suthep in my opinion.

"A hungry man is an angry man." Bob Marley. Tham dee, dai dee. Tham cheua, dai cheua. oc

We are certain they will be safe, as most housing communities are away from ‘red’ areas.

<deleted>coffee1.gif

so the ambassador sees the red shirts as the dangerous ones during the shutdown. Not the anti-government (?)

I think embassies have to give such warnings, same as the travel advisories,- this also got to do with insurance issues. Without warnings etc. the insurance might have to pay out in case of problems and might want to get it back from YOUR government. So they deny any responsibility by issuing such warnings etc.

That does however NOT mean, that things will get so ugly. It's a "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst" thing.

I expect travelling around in Bangkok on Monday without any major (!) problems. Using 2 wheels is an advantage, though.

FYI, the term Malay is usually reserved for Malaysians who constitute the Malay (Muslim) population within Malaysia. People from Malaysia should generally be referred to as Malaysians. Malaysia comprises of Malays, Chinese and Indians.

I know it very well! I used to live and work in Malaysia. We all know that that Malaysian government is primarily Malay and ONLY thinks about their Malay brothers and sisters. Tamils and Chinese are not exactly tolerated. My former boss's Thai-Chinese father was killed by the Malays over their intolerance of the Chinese presence in THEIR native land. That country is ALSO in the verge of civil war with so much ethnic polarities.

Last one to leave the building, please turn out the rights.

Just like what the American embassy said, which so many British angrily attacked as paranoid panic. In fact, it seems that the Malaysians and most nations considerate of their citizens are giving the same or similar notifications. About the only country that hasn't, at least as far as I have seen so far on these pages, is the UK. I'm starting to think that the UK regards its people in Thailand as mostly a lot of riffraff who the nation is better off without.

Or maybe it correctly realises that most British people are capable of looking after themselves in difficult circumstances.

Not. They know's y'all comes here to learn how to meditate, vegetate, or masturbate.

Or maybe it correctly realises that most British people are capable of looking after themselves in difficult circumstances.

But it doesn't trust them to report their pension income accurately without documented proof when its citizens need an embassy confirmation for an extension of stay and it can't be bothered offering much in the way of consular outreach to its citizens not staying in Bangkok.

"My embassy is better than your embassy" is probably a silly debate in any event. The raison d'etre for maintaining embassies is to facilitate relations between governments and somewhat secondarily to look after their locally resident nationals. Certainly in most matters the UK government is in nanny state mode more comprehensively than is the US ... and generally adults in need of a nanny are rather helpless when left untended.

The US embassy warning is pretty much pro forma, as is the Malaysian notice, and neither is, as some people seemed to think, alarmist, but at least it demonstrates that they can be bothered to go through the motion of keeping in contact with their citizens. If the warning induced a hysterical reaction by some of those who read it, they were probably the same sort of Thailand expats who have difficulty dealing with other aspect of life outside their comfort zone.
Edited by Suradit69

By and large, the people who seem to have trouble with the warning from the Malaysian and US Embassy are people who aren't from those countries.

Perhaps people should stick to reading their own Embassy's notices.

Kuwait, by the way, suggests their nationals leave Thailand.

• Like 1

Okay, but the article didn't make that very clear did it? I thought they were referring to the 'other' Red zones, I don't think the anti-government protesters would take too kindly of the press refering to their demonstration sites as 'Red zones' when you take into account that the Reds are their enemies who've they've been fighting against.

Edited by PhoenixRising

Not. They know's y'all comes here to learn how to meditate, vegetate, or masturbate.

Y'all don't say! Can these be 'words of wisdom' from a good ol' southern boy where your mother can be your sister and your brother is named BillyJoe-JimBob.....? cheesy.gif

The British enbassy has travel advice/warnings re Bangkok https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand The big difference is the Brits are not whining and pissing in everyone's beer about it mate. we get on with things and cope.

So let me get this straight. We slag off other weak kneed, nervous nelly countries for putting up notices. When the list grows longer and longer, not to be outdone, suddenly up comes a link showing UK notices as well. Still though, any country who has done the same as the UK, is somehow merely whining and pissing in others' pints. A real piece of work this one.

The romantic, Churchillian characterization that "we", meaning every single Brit, in the face of adversity, simply gets on with it and copes, is also not very accurate.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

The British enbassy has travel advice/warnings re Bangkok https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand The big difference is the Brits are not whining and pissing in everyone's beer about it mate. we get on with things and cope.

So let me get this straight. We slag off other weak kneed, nervous nelly countries for putting up notices. When the list grows longer and longer, not to be outdone, suddenly up comes a link showing UK notices as well. Still though, any country who has done the same as the UK, is somehow merely whining and pissing in others' pints. A real piece of work this one.

The romantic, Churchillian characterization that "we", meaning every single Brit, in the face of adversity, simply gets on with it and copes, is also not very accurate.

you might throw a tizzy when you see things like travel warnings, most Brits don't. The link showing the British travel warning was put there in response to the comment above where the poster wrote that the only country who hadn't issued travel warnings was Britain and he's thinking that the British government thinks of it people in Thailand as riff raff. The Brit government HAS issued a warning, which I was making him aware of just in case he was feeling unloved by the Brit government. And my point was and still is, that the warning has been issued and we're just getting on with life, so what?

• Like 1

Not just those in Thailand. The days when Britain looked after the interests of British Citizens are long gone. The RN is tiny, and the RAF have less planes than one US carrier! As for diplomatic skills and proactive Embassies and Consulates - cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If the shit hits the fan, don't count on the British government to do anything. Clueless and couldn't give a toss.

Malaysia is racist country, Chinese and Indian can never been PM like Thaksin, Ying Luck, Chuan are Chinese decedent but still can be PM of Thailand for Malaysia more 500 years still impossible.

Malaysia was established in 1957, so where does 500 years come into play? I do not believe any Chinese or Indian candidate has ever held a political position that could lead to being PM. The Malaysian Constituion does not exclude non Muslims to be PM.

you might throw a tizzy when you see things like travel warnings, most Brits don't. The link showing the British travel warning was put there in response to the comment above where the poster wrote that the only country who hadn't issued travel warnings was Britain and he's thinking that the British government thinks of it people in Thailand as riff raff. The Brit government HAS issued a warning, which I was making him aware of just in case he was feeling unloved by the Brit government. And my point was and still is, that the warning has been issued and we're just getting on with life, so what?

Tizzy, whining, pissing in lager. I know what you meant and so do you. At least you walked it back to "Most" Brits. Progress, however slight. bah.gif

I'm sure the Thais will welcome advice from outside sources especially other Asians.

You MUST be joking! Thais don't like to look for 'advice' from foreign sources, especially other Asians they have a 'history' with...

Um, he was joking.

Who? The Malay? Giving advise to Thai?

They better go look themselves in the Mirror.

What's next?

Afghanistan give advise I suppose.

Yup, I'd have a listen to that conversation. That's some potentially crystal-clear mirror.....

Lee Kuan Yew's desire for a Malay Malaysia, Mahatir's "no more lazy Malays", the stories of all the civil and international conflicts from the late 40's through to the 60's and 70's, their understanding of world history and their role within it, the ability to carve out a national identity while swimming in Chinese and Indian culture, those 'nasty' protectionist work policies, they may have a few tidbits that would be interesting to hear.....

And next, yes, the Afghans, that is indeed very clever, they could help you understand certain advisors, anyone in politics here stick out like a Karzai?

Advise indeed, no one needs to listen to advice. I'd advise you not to take my advice seriously.

I love you Thailand.

Well if you read the notifications they all seem to have come out of a template. Yup stock up on food and water don't support either side. Pretty common sense if you ask me. Perhaps the Uk thought its citizens would be know all about that.

Anyway on the riff raff part. I heard the UK has tons of immigrants from other countries so the citizens in thailand aka the natives aren't probably too important in the larger scheme of things so yes maybe they are riff raff.

FYI, the term Malay is usually reserved for Malaysians who constitute the Malay (Muslim) population within Malaysia. People from Malaysia should generally be referred to as Malaysians. Malaysia comprises of Malays, Chinese and Indians.

I know it very well! I used to live and work in Malaysia. We all know that that Malaysian government is primarily Malay and ONLY thinks about their Malay brothers and sisters. Tamils and Chinese are not exactly tolerated. My former boss's Thai-Chinese father was killed by the Malays over their intolerance of the Chinese presence in THEIR native land. That country is ALSO in the verge of civil war with so much ethnic polarities.

The malays are actually immigrants from indonesia sumatra to be exact. The real natives in those lands are known as the orang asli and they are also being discriminated. Anyway one of the criteria to be a bumi or a son of a soil of malaysia is that one needs to be muslim. Yup you need to be muslim and if you aren't even if you are malay you aren't considered bumi or one of them.

The british took over that place and made it a colony. Previously before the british arrived malaysia didn't exist as an entity obviously. It was just a place of various kingdoms or sultantes same as india unlike china which got united thousands of years beforehand. They brought in indians and chinese immigrants to work on the various tin mines and so on so suffice to say they need chinese and other foreigners.