Embassy of Malaysia gives advice on 'Bangkok shutdown'

webfact

Embassy gives advice on ‘Bangkok shutdown’

1-11-2014-11-24-47-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Malaysian ambassador to Bangkok Datuk Nazirah Hussain urged Malaysians in the Thai capital to stock up on food, medicine and other necessities for emergency purposes as it was not certain how long Monday's "Bangkok shutdown" rally would go on, New Straits Times reported.

“We have been assured that it will be a peaceful rally. However, we do not have a definite time frame on how long it may last and when it will end.

“There are more than 500 Malaysians registered with the embassy in Bangkok. We are certain they will be safe, as most housing communities are away from ‘red’ areas.

“Malaysians need to monitor closely the developments through local and international news reports to ensure their safety.”

Nazirah appealed to Malaysians in Thailand to avoid being involved in the demonstration and not openly show support for either the Thai government or opposition.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/embassy-gives-advice-bangkok-shutdown/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-11

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This nonsense about the Malays being safe because they are far from red area is either ignorant or they know some insider information they aren't sharing. Reds have proven themselves quite mobile, in case they haven't noticed. Not only that, but Reds are like spiders. You can't always see them, but they're always there waitiing around for the opportunity to catch an easy meal - they leave behind their cobwebs as evidence of where they've been hiding out. Some of them are so poisenous their bites can kill humans.

Edited by PhoenixRising

I'm sure the Thais will welcome advice from outside sources especially other Asians.

You MUST be joking! Thais don't like to look for 'advice' from foreign sources, especially other Asians they have a 'history' with...

Sarcasm. Tongue firmly embedded in cheek as I was typing.

• Like 1

This nonsense about the Malays being safe because they are far from red area is either ignorant or they know some insider information they aren't sharing. Reds have proven themselves quite mobile, in case they haven't noticed. Not only that, but Reds are like spiders. You can't always see them, but they're always there waitiing around for the opportunity to catch an easy meal - they leave behind their cobwebs as evidence of where they've been hiding out. Some of them are so poisenous their bites can kill humans.

FYI, the term Malay is usually reserved for Malaysians who constitute the Malay (Muslim) population within Malaysia. People from Malaysia should generally be referred to as Malaysians. Malaysia comprises of Malays, Chinese and Indians.

I know it very well! I used to live and work in Malaysia. We all know that that Malaysian government is primarily Malay and ONLY thinks about their Malay brothers and sisters. Tamils and Chinese are not exactly tolerated. My former boss's Thai-Chinese father was killed by the Malays over their intolerance of the Chinese presence in THEIR native land. That country is ALSO in the verge of civil war with so much ethnic polarities.

Well, stock up on rice, otherwise, you Thai partner, will not be a happy camper ;-)

As for me, my bar, is well stocked with beer and liquor, so I have all the carbohydrates I need. Besides, I think, the rest of the world, would have to totally fall apart, before there is a chance, that anyone would let me starve in Chiang Dao.

Just like what the American embassy said, which so many British angrily attacked as paranoid panic. In fact, it seems that the Malaysians and most nations considerate of their citizens are giving the same or similar notifications. About the only country that hasn't, at least as far as I have seen so far on these pages, is the UK. I'm starting to think that the UK regards its people in Thailand as mostly a lot of riffraff who the nation is better off without.

Agree the embassy of the UK knows what people they have in Thailand

As usual in these times of troubles, whether it be a strike, a shortage, or a dispute, the stores and unscrupulous businesses will take full advantage of the shut down and will increase prices accordingly, trying to cash in on the situation. Something like my Dad used to say; oh, what a lovely war (for some).

Be well prepared, it`s going to be a rough ride.

• Like 1

I'm sure the Thais will welcome advice from outside sources especially other Asians.

You MUST be joking! Thais don't like to look for 'advice' from foreign sources, especially other Asians they have a 'history' with...

Um, he was joking.

Who? The Malay? Giving advise to Thai?

They better go look themselves in the Mirror.

What's next?

Afghanistan give advise I suppose.

Just like what the American embassy said, which so many British angrily attacked as paranoid panic. In fact, it seems that the Malaysians and most nations considerate of their citizens are giving the same or similar notifications. About the only country that hasn't, at least as far as I have seen so far on these pages, is the UK. I'm starting to think that the UK regards its people in Thailand as mostly a lot of riffraff who the nation is better off without.

Calm down old chap. We British are a proud lot.Stiff upper lip and all that. A? Excuse me, I'm just going to join the memsaab for tea and tiffin.

They are mostly riffraff and post almost all the anti-American and anti almost every other country like France on this forum. It is so obvious. They seem to hate themselves. Pathetic

• Like 1

Calm down old chap. We British are a proud lot.Stiff upper lip and all that. A? Excuse me, I'm just going to join the memsaab for tea and tiffin.

Good man! Where did you get the tiffin?

They are mostly riffraff and post almost all the anti-American and anti almost every other country like France on this forum. It is so obvious. They seem to hate themselves. Pathetic

Rejoice when the dumb speak! smile.png

• Like 1

Rejoice when the dumb speak! smile.png

Lame

i think tiffin means afternoon tea,maybe with scones or such like,unless of course tiffin has a different meaning to your good self.

Nice bit of over generalized racism. Had visa issues in the past?

Seriously, whatever happens its hardly going to be the end of the world.

Many countries, however, are expressing concern for their citizens. Again, I think it wise to take at least minimal precaustions. Keeping food and water on hand for a couple of weeks is SOP for most people I know, anyway. At least it is for me. Minimal risk involved in making sure you have a bit of extra cash and food and water on hand. The potential is for a sensible to large reward if things turn sour. Planning for unexpected eventualities never hurts; planning for semi-expected troubles is just common sense. But you're free to ignore and advise people like you to continue their hand to mouth existence. Maybe that's why you came to Thailand in the first place.