Y R U here?

willyumiii

It has occurred to me that there are many different reasons for an expat to relocate to Thailand.

For real 'expats' its usually because of work in so far as we get sent here to work at the regional or Thai office. If people are here for the reasons in your list, I'd not really consider them as 'expats' more long-term visitors/tourists...

Arrogance personified!

why ?

It has occurred to me that there are many different reasons for an expat to relocate to Thailand.

For real 'expats' its usually because of work in so far as we get sent here to work at the regional or Thai office. If people are here for the reasons in your list, I'd not really consider them as 'expats' more long-term visitors/tourists...

I agree with most of this statement except the Money one. I am here as I don't have to pay Tax to live here. I am an expat and I work offshore rigs through out the world. I can live in Any country I want but have been happily here for 6 years and not had to pay a cent of Tax. If I stayed in Canada I would be paying +40% of my income to support lazy pricks who can't be bothered to work. So why not be come a Canadian citizen non resident. Move to Thailand and live Tax free (as my company pays my Tax in the countries I work in). I am an Ex Patriot due to the fact I live and work outside my country. Because I am not stuck working here that makes me less of an expat that another?

• 2 weeks later...