Storage to use with Tablet.{Large}

chiangrai

An external USB hard drive will not work on a Tablet. Even if you bought the microUSB adapter, the tablet will not recognize the drive.

It will if you run "Paragon NTFS" on your android device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.mounter&hl=en_GB

I have a Buffalo 2TB Drivestation connected to my tablet.

Edited by FiftyTwo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wi-fi option won't work because I am usually in a hotel in Laos with little or no wi-fi.

Ideally I need something powered by electricity.

Did you click on the previously posted Amazon link? This device is EXACTLY what you need. The HDD itself has Wi Fi built in, you don't have to connect to a Wi Fi network. You can connect it with a USB cable to your laptop or connect via Wi Fi. It is rechargable just like your tablet. You can carry it in your pocket and whatch movies ANYWHERE, the car, beach wherever.

Here is a link to a 1Tb model.....more movies.....small money....

As you can use this with up to 3 devices at a time, including your laptop it is perfect !!! I which I could take the credit for suggesting it I didn't know they existed until now.

SERIOUSLY forget everything everyone else has suggested and get this.....

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wireless-Built-In-Streaming-STCK1000100/dp/B00AQRUW4Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

It's brilliant !!!

• Like 1

An external USB hard drive will not work on a Tablet. Even if you bought the microUSB adapter, the tablet will not recognize the drive. Your only option is to get a 64GB micro SD card and move the data between the computer and the tablet. The micro SD cards usually come with an adapter so you can also plug it into your PC. You can also connect the Tablet directly to the PC via the USB cable that came with the tablet. Do a search on www.androidtabletpcsupport.com for more options and information.

If you need more than 64GB, then a wifi external drive is a good option, but both the tablet and the drive need to be connected to the same wifi router.

This can definitely be true depending on the tablet make. Do not assume you will be able to get your tablet to work with an external HDD, even with an OTG cable and/or apps which claim to enable you to do so. OTOH, I've heard of some being able to do this with no problem at all, or a simple change in android Settings. I ended up just using SD cards which can easily be moved back & forth between PC & tablet (but limited to 32/64GB).

The wi-fi option won't work because I am usually in a hotel in Laos with little or no wi-fi.

Did you click on the previously posted Amazon link? This device is EXACTLY what you need. The HDD itself has Wi Fi built in, you don't have to connect to a Wi Fi network. You can connect it with a USB cable to your laptop or connect via Wi Fi. It is rechargable just like your tablet. You can carry it in your pocket and whatch movies ANYWHERE, the car, beach wherever.

Here is a link to a 1Tb model.....more movies.....small money....

As you can use this with up to 3 devices at a time, including your laptop it is perfect !!! I which I could take the credit for suggesting it I didn't know they existed until now.

SERIOUSLY forget everything everyone else has suggested and get this.....

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wireless-Built-In-Streaming-STCK1000100/dp/B00AQRUW4Q/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

It's brilliant !!!

This one is cheaper and has a built in battery that lasts 7 hours

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Voyager-Wireless-Ethernet-CMFAIR-BLK-1000-NA/dp/B00B4OCYQY/ref=psdc12_t1_B00AQRUW4Q_B00B4OCYQY

• Like 1

invadeIT, my first choice when I look for computer accessories in Thailand, has a 1TB wireless hard drive for 6,590 Baht. Details here: http://i.nvade.it/45t

Your member name suggests that your are in Chiang Rai and if you can't find anything suitable locally and have to order online, that's whom I would recommend. Located in Hua Hin, managed by foreigners, – Scandinavians, I believe – and and highly reliable. Phone consultation available, in my experience, if you want to make sure that what you plan to order suits your needs.

• Like 1

As another poster said... the hard drive has its own wifi.. you do not need any hotel wifi to link to it.. if people are being nice enough to give you advice at least read it.

they come in different sizes and prices from 750b (sd card wifi) to 6,500 baht (1 terrabit wifi)

good choice between price and size http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-External-STBF500101/dp/B004Z0S7K6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389537328&sr=1-4&keywords=wireless+hard+drive+wifi

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Off topic

Just had a 2TB Buffalo drive station fail, 3 years old, Buffalo warranty only 1 year.

Ripped it open and inside a Seagate drive with 3 year warranty.

So I go online, put the serial into Seagate warranty and it says "in warranty"

Sent the drive to BK via EMS (120bht) on Tuesday, a replacement arrived from Singapore on Saturday.

Brilliant warranty service from Seagate!

• Like 1

Now we're getting warm,these are the devices I am looking for.

Sorry it took me a while to realize what has it's own wifi meant.

I would prefer a 500GB version and would prefer to buy from invadit than Amazon but at least I know what I'm looking for or that they even exist.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

The wireless drives mentioned above are cool and would be the way I would go, but if you want a cheaper solution you can get an externally powered generic USB case like this and put any 3.5 hard disk in it.

Combined with a OTG adapter cable, it would work fine.

post-18167-0-62672900-1389544588_thumb.j

The wireless drives mentioned above are cool and would be the way I would go, but if you want a cheaper solution you can get an externally powered generic USB case like this and put any 3.5 hard disk in it.

Combined with a OTG adapter cable, it would work fine.

attachicon.gifext-case.jpg

No. Just not true. Speaking from personal experience here. Some android tablets will simply not recognize an external hard drive, even with OTG & apps. Others - no problem; don't even need the OTG cable. Some will if rooted with custom boots, etc, etc (for those that want to go that far). The USB case is just a way to make a non-USB hdd (the SATAs & PATAs) USB-connectable. It doesn't affect a tablet's ability to recognize it.

I do want a cheaper solution to tell you the truth.

I have seen them on Ebay for less than 1000bht.

Do you have any recommendations on where to buy them and would they be sure to work on my lenova

1500 baht for a 500GB 3.5" hard disk plus 500-1500 for a DIY 3.5" external powered case to house it. DIY is used more for extending thee life of an old hard disk replaced with a larger one in a desktop computer. Most people wanting to use a 3.5" external drive want them for home use not travel because of size and weight, so buy one off the shelf from Western Digital, Seagate etc. not DIY. OTS start at around 3000 baht because no-one buys a 500GB for home any more, 2TB is the starting point these days. Pretty sure the specs I saw for your Lenovo said it supports OTG but check your manual.

Edited by kkerry

Thanks for that,

What do you mean by off the shelf,in a large shop in the city.

invadet has a 500GB HDD for 1700bht TOSHIBA.Would that be O.k.

Then where and what brand of power case do you recommend.

I'm sorry man I'm really low teck .I didn't really understand your post.

This site says your device supports usb 2.0 OTG:

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_ideatab_a1000-5352.php

If you want to but from invadeit, this is the cheapest case, 990 THB:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/enclosure-box/orico/usb-3-0-mobile-hard-drive-box-3-5inch-black-xg3517-u3-p018173/

This is cheapest 500 GB disk to put inside it, 1810 THB:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/internal-hard-drives/seagate/barracuda-7200-14-500gb-hard-drive-sata-6gb-s-7200rpm-16mb-cache-st500dm002-p007959/

Total cost for these would be 2800 THB.

Unless you are a complete kheeneow, this is better solution, 3090 THB:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/external-hard-drives/toshiba/canvio-desk-2tb-desktop-external-hard-drive-black-p016945/

For 300 THB more, no assembly required and 2 TB of space.

Both of these solutions will still require an OTG adapter to conect the drive to the tablet.

Edit to add-

If this is the Toshiba product you are referring to in your post above for 1700 THB:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/portable-hard-drives/toshiba/canvio-connect-500gb-portable-hard-drive-usb-3-0-satin-silver-p016938/

It will not work for you because it is not externally powered.

Edited by bino

Android tablet itself is an external drive, it has a display and operating system. Connecting any external hdd to a tablet using usb cable, is not gonna work. Why not buy several 64 Gb SD, if you need 500 Gb with you, everywhere you travel. But why drag along 500 Gb of storage, while using a tablet?

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Connecting any external hdd to a tablet using usb cable, is not gonna work.

Connecting an externally powered disk with an OTG adapter will work.

Why not buy several 64 Gb SD

64GB MicroSD Cards are insanely expensive- cheapest at invadeit is 2380 THB. 8 of them to get 512 GB total would cost 19040 THB.

Furthermore, most mobile devices (OP's included) will only support max 32GB cards.

This hard drive for example http://i.nvade.it/24n needs to go inside this case http://i.nvade.it/4JA to create your own 3.5" external hard drive (D.I.Y). You can find something similar and cheaper no doubt but 2,500 is the minimum total imo for something that won't fall apart after a week. I don't have a suggestion for what brand to buy as the one I have was expensive, not sold in Thailand and probably discontinued by now anyway.

By off the shelf I mean these: http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/external-hard-drives/ For only 500 baht more than DIY you can get 2TB instead of 500GB (capacity x4) and rule of thumb when buying storage is to buy the largest size you can reasonably afford as you will almost always find a way to fill it, often quicker than imagined. DIY really only makes sense now if you already have a spare hard drive handy.

The problem with a 3.5" external drive is it's not particularly portable, it's why they get categorized as a desktop back-up. Portable hard drive refers to the 2.5" laptop size drive. Combine a 3.5" external drive with your tablet and you end up with almost as much bulk and weight as the laptop you say is too heavy to carry with you. The Seagate wireless drive sounds nice, not too big, it's light but it's more than you want to spend. Maybe someone knows of a 2.5" powered portable drive that will work with a tablet.

Edited by kkerry

The problem with a 3.5" external drive is it's not particularly portable, it's why they get categorized as a desktop back-up. Portable hard drive refers to the 2.5" laptop size drive. Combine a 3.5" external drive with your tablet and you end up with almost as much bulk and weight as the laptop you say is too heavy to carry with you. The Seagate wireless drive sounds nice, not too big, it's light but it's more than you want to spend. Maybe someone knows of a 2.5" powered portable drive that will work with a tablet.

The whole point of tablet is portability - size and weight. To drag along a 3.5 HDD, that needs its own power adapter kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Why not get 11" ultrabook with 500 Gb drive and be done with it.

The whole point of tablet is portability - size and weight. To drag along a 3.5 HDD, that needs its own power adapter kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Tesco lotus were doing a special on an Asus 11.6 ultra book for 9995b. 500g hard drive . touch screen etc.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Turkleton,

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for.I can get an OTG cable.

But I don't know anything about powered HDDs.

Is this something like the 3.5 inch mains powered HDD cover.

Any more information and explanation about these would be great.

No, you don't need a bulky 3.5" hdd.

Buy a powered USB hub like this (but don't buy the cheapest one!):

USB%2BPower.jpg

Connect this hub with your OTG cable!

Buy any external 2.5 hdd you like and connect it to this powered hub (the hdd will get the power supply from the hub).

That's it.

If he had the budget to do so, he would done it. Not everybody likes to spend huge amounts of money into electronics (but I do).

If he is interested buying one Asus T100 can be a good choice once they start selling it in Thailand. 11.6" Tablet/Ultrabook hybrid for 400 usd.

To save anyone else wasting ten minutes of their life watching the Ideatab video above, here's a summary.

Guy plugs in an OTG cable to an Ideapad. Guy plugs in a SanDisk Cruzer blade flash drive into the OTG port and it works. Guy plugs in a USB mouse and it works. The End.

Guys you are killing me with kindness here.

It's going to take me a while to work out which option to go with.I am on a budget.But to put things in perspective what I would have had to spend on the Thai shop solution was 1700bht for a hard drive that I could only use on my laptop and 750bht for a card that was too small.So 2500bht total for a far less than perfect solution.That's when I opened this post looking for a good solution to my problem and I didn't mind if it was 1 or 2 grand more expensive.

That solution is in here some where I just have to figure it out.

I still have two questions though.

Turkleton-how much should pay for a powered hub and do you know where I might find one.

And to Kkerrry what does DIY mean in techno language.