EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: People's revolution 'will win'

Lite Beer

How is that an interview???

Again: not a single question about the "what" and "how"!

"Exclusive" to the Nation.

IMO a planted PR piece and as such one should not have expected difficult or probing questions.

Why don't you write to him and ask if you can interview him on behalf of TV?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thait Spot is not a troll.

A troll would make the same comment, but a troll would do it on purpose.

I prefer trolls though.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Mr Suthep, please answer me 1 question:

- If you want reforms so badly, why did you not implement them while you were PM and Vice-PM with Abhisit for 3 years?

Yours sincerely.

They did make some reforms. They couldn't rewrite the constitution, as the red shirts wouldn't allow it or accept it.

Also, they were in power for 2 years and many months were taken up dealing with protests. They also had to didn't have full control, as they had to deal with their coalition partners.

Sent from my phone ...

Oh I don't know, they managed to make changes to the constitution, changes to the constiuencies and increasing the number of Party List MPs come to mind (and all without a referendum whistling.gif ) and they would have made a change to Section 190 regarding parliamentary approval for "treaties" with other nations had it not been for the pressure from the Ultra Nationalistic PAD and trouble with their coalition partners - I don't think the red shirts had a lot to do with it. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/11/16/politics/Democrats-battle-over-charter-30142325.html

So basically the only reform they made was one that was supposed to benefit them when it came to the election in 2011. (not that it did them much good)

(You see back in the 2007 elections the dems "won" the party list "vote" but not the constituency "vote", hence the change to the constitution "for the good of the people" whistling.gif )

Many foreigners which I know talk about how corrupt Thailand is and that things need to change. Now, that change is about to happen, in the form of an exorcism, they're now complaining about the change.

Please, stop whining.

Corruption is nothing more than unregulated capitalism, Thailand will not change in the forseeable future, democracy in Thailand is currently a poorly constructed mirage, Suthep is just another part of the maintenance team, this is why he garners support

Edited by 473geo

- If you want reforms so badly, why did you not implement them while you were PM and Vice-PM with Abhisit for 3 years?

Yours sincerely.

They did make some reforms. They couldn't rewrite the constitution, as the red shirts wouldn't allow it or accept it.

Also, they were in power for 2 years and many months were taken up dealing with protests. They also had to didn't have full control, as they had to deal with their coalition partners.

Sent from my phone ...

"They couldn't rewrite the constitution"

Would that be this constitution?

'The military junta-appointed Constitution Drafting Assembly unanimously approved the draft in July 2007, despite a lot of public controversy about several clauses. The junta passed a law making it illegal to publicly criticize the draft. The junta also ran a successful promotion campaign leading up to the referendum, and threatened to not step down if the constitution is not accepted.'

That is before Abhisit and Suthep came to power, which occurred in December 2008 by virtue of the PPP (PTP precursor) being disbanded for electoral fraud. The army was in charge at the point you reference.

For Farangs and journalists new to the current Thaksin crisis, before you jump to conclusion, please watch this video first.

Not 100% accurate, but IMHO very close, very neutral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQVjUsKSKUE

The narrator couldn't even pronounce Thaksin's name correctly let alone deliver a fair, balanced, and unbiased, view, showing protestors giving flowers to police, but it didn't show protestors shooting at police, throwing bombs, or slingshots loaded with bolts at police, nor the destruction of public property, and police cars bashing taxi drivers, ect,ect,ect,,, the list go's on...

GET A GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait was this sponsored by Nation?, or maybe Fox??? w00t.gif

It is not a crime to have an oversea educated Democracy loving Thai to read the script. Sorry for the imperfect pronunciation.

How is that an interview???

Again: not a single question about the "what" and "how"!

"Exclusive" to the Nation.

IMO a planted PR piece and as such one should not have expected difficult or probing questions.

Why don't you write to him and ask if you can interview him on behalf of TV?

Thait Spot is not a troll.

A troll would make the same comment, but a troll would do it on purpose.

I prefer trolls though.

Each to his own

Why so much hatred for Suthep? Don't you see that he is a NOBODY( except in his southern provinces) compared to Dr.T. The only reason he is even relevant is because he was chosen to lead the movement against the dear leader. Get that caddy problem sorted and Suthep will disappear as if by magic.

If violence happens it is he who is to blame and he should be charged with nitpicking hatred this lung is determined to split the wealthy from the poor he only wants the wealthy and corrupt to rule the country he may claim to be a democratic but alas he is a million miles from the truth Tomorrow will be a very sad day for Thailand and all down to one man and his hatred for tone particular family he is as corrupt as they are you only have to see what he was involved in on the island of Phuket. He is a very nasty fellow after his own self importance.

''The people should decide...'' -Suthep

He says the people should decide, but he blocks elections and instead he will choose the "people's council" for the people.

Hah!

He is seriously afraid that elections will show everyone that the great majority of Thais is AGAINST him.

• Like 2

revolution , a good thing imo , we could do with one in the UK too come to think of it, ..........start from scratch and stop the greed of the " elite"...... worldwide!

And led by a man who, in the 1980s, gave away Phuket land earmarked for the poor to 11 of its richest families, then later used his political influence to ensure palm oil shares were valued artifically high so that his family could sell theirs at a massive profit.

Really, do people not bother to investigate Suthep's shady political past and think it odd that he is shouting so loud about the need to clean up politics?

• Like 1

Yours sincerely.

Perhaps at that point they didn't foresee Thaksins sister @ the helm, his cronies in key positions and Thailand on the verge of bankruptcy and the rice industry decimated.

Or perhaps he was too busy artificially inflating the value of palm oil shares so he and his family could make a killing on the stock market.

Oh, you didn't know about Suthep's dubious past? You might want to investigate it and decide how sincere he is about cleaning up politics before you post again.

• Like 1

''He refused any compromise or negotiation. Once the government could no longer function, people would become sovereign holders of power and their orders would become law.''

Somebody has already said on this forum, why, with arrest warrants issued for him, is he still free, inciting riots and civil disobedience? What message does this send to the rest of the world? Further, the quote (above) says it all, really - No negotiations or compromise (fascist?). If the people become sovereign holders, as he stated, their rule would NOT be law and most certainly not Democratic! This could only be as a result of negligence (on the part of the current powers that be), or civil war!

I wonderwhat else was in those noodles, that he ate for lunch!

• Like 1

''He refused any compromise or negotiation. Once the government could no longer function, people would become sovereign holders of power and their orders would become law.''

Somebody has already said on this forum, why, with arrest warrants issued for him, is he still free, inciting riots and civil disobedience? What message does this send to the rest of the world? Further, the quote (above) says it all, really - No negotiations or compromise (fascist?). If the people become sovereign holders, as he stated, their rule would NOT be law and most certainly not Democratic! This could only be as a result of negligence (on the part of the current powers that be), or civil war!

I wonderwhat else was in those noodles, that he ate for lunch!

Yours sincerely.

Sent from my phone ...

"They couldn't rewrite the constitution"

Would that be this constitution?

'The military junta-appointed Constitution Drafting Assembly unanimously approved the draft in July 2007, despite a lot of public controversy about several clauses. The junta passed a law making it illegal to publicly criticize the draft. The junta also ran a successful promotion campaign leading up to the referendum, and threatened to not step down if the constitution is not accepted.'

Yes, that constitution. The one that is 90% the same as the 1997 "people's constitution".

Sent from my phone ...

It is not Bangkok that should be shut down it is Suthep.

Talk about stirring up a hornets nest.

Most countries wouldn't allow him to get away with this sort of rabble raising and closing down of a

capital city.

He just represents a bunch of spoilt brats who had years to implement reform and never did and when Thaksin came along and used the institutionalised corrupted system to benefit his cronies and left out all the old money cronies well that just wouldn't do would it.

Old money old elite did nothing to change the system for years but when they lost control suddenly start prattling on about a peoples revolution.

Only the truly naïve could swallow that codswallop.

Do you realise the Democrats have only been in power for 9 years since 1932?

Sent from my phone ...

Yours sincerely.

It was a coalition government and they didn't have the numbers to make many reforms outside the ministries they controlled.

Don't you read ?

revolution , a good thing imo , we could do with one in the UK too come to think of it, ..........start from scratch and stop the greed of the " elite"...... worldwide!

And led by a man who, in the 1980s, gave away Phuket land earmarked for the poor to 11 of its richest families, then later used his political influence to ensure palm oil shares were valued artifically high so that his family could sell theirs at a massive profit.

Really, do people not bother to investigate Suthep's shady political past and think it odd that he is shouting so loud about the need to clean up politics?

Unfortunately, I suspect that most Thai politicians have secrets that they do not want to be brought into the spotlight. And each leading politician has the dirt on other leading pols.

Hence PTP and others like Chuwit dare not highlight Suthep's past too vigorously - Suthep probably has files on most of the PTP leaders, to be used in retaliation if required.

There are a few clean politicians who could call out Suthep without reprisal - but most of them are Dems, and their loyalty to Suthep is currently steadfast.

How about the media doing the exposing (a common occurrence in the West)? Not likely with the Thai media - they are toothless. And foreign media are ignored (if not worse) by Thai politicians of all sides when it suits them.

It is not Bangkok that should be shut down it is Suthep.

Talk about stirring up a hornets nest.

Most countries wouldn't allow him to get away with this sort of rabble raising and closing down of a

capital city.

He just represents a bunch of spoilt brats who had years to implement reform and never did and when Thaksin came along and used the institutionalised corrupted system to benefit his cronies and left out all the old money cronies well that just wouldn't do would it.

Old money old elite did nothing to change the system for years but when they lost control suddenly start prattling on about a peoples revolution.

Only the truly naïve could swallow that codswallop.

Do you realise the Democrats have only been in power for 9 years since 1932?

Sent from my phone ...

That has nought to do with anything.

He just happens to be representative of those who have profited from a corrupt system in the past and did nothing to try and change it until someone else was taking the booty.

What political parties were or weren't in power is really irrelevant.

These Thai politicians really have no shame. Now he is acting like the 2nd coming of Buddha for the poor Thai people! 'No no, don't do as I did for my family, getting filthy rich in the 80's by robbing land from the local poor people, do as I say! My monies are DIFFERENT!'

How about doing what is right for these poor people families first? How about that?

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 2

A people's revolution. Mao, Castro, Ho Chi Min, Suthep?

How astute you are except you forgot to mention Thaksin; but there again that may be due to the fact that unlike the others on your list , who led their revolution from the front, Thaksin was safely hidden in his Vila in Dubai whilst urging his followers to burn Bangkok. Thaksin is without doubt an unethical despot and a coward. Suthep is no angel but he is not a coward.

• Like 1

I guess if people cannot absorb the historical fact Thaksin decreased the level of poverty in Thailand, which may be a rather significant element of his popularity, then they are dim enough to support anybody else rolls up in opposition.

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- PROTEST LEADER SUTHEP SEES VICTORY, SAYS HE DOESN'T WANT A COUP AND THE PEOPLE, NOT HIM, MUST DECIDE FUTURE

"I am pretty sure today that we won't lose the fight - I just don't know how we will win," he said.

I am more concerned with who manages the situation if he does win. Yes I hope he does win. I am of the opinion that Thailand deserves better.

However, he vowed to retreat if there is serious violence.
"If it becomes a civil war, I will give up. People's life is precious for me," he said. "If someone instigates a civil war, I will tell the people to go home."

But will the red shirts stop. Let's face it they are the ones wiith a history of violence.

He revealed that fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra had sent some people to talk, but he refused to elaborate saying he would not negotiate and he could not do so as only the people - not him - could decide.

Although he did not rule out the possibility of a coup, Suthep said he did not want it.
"I want to see a people's revolution, a peaceful one," he said.

As it should be in many countries. Thailand is not alone in having a government for the ones doing it.

Suthep denied close links or support by the military. He said no soldier took part in strategic planning.

I was under the understanding they would not even give him a private meeting.

He said the protesters had lost patience with the "Thaksin regime". They had stopped asking him when the fight would end and insisted on fighting until they win. But no matter if the PDRC wins or loses this battle, Suthep sees it as a victory as the people have gained a sense of political responsibility in their minds. People, including children, are no longer ignorant, he feels.

"The people have realized that they, all together, have to be responsible for the country. That thought has been on their minds already and it will remain on their minds," he said.

Totally agree with him. I am under no misconceptions that it will be a full blown garden of Eden just like that. There will always be people with intentions that benefit only them. It will be a long road but a worthwhile one.

He refused any compromise or negotiation.

Any compromise or negotiation now would just be like saying OK we will not try to set up as honest a government as we can. Yingluck/Thaksin have made it very clear that any changes they would entertain must come after the election that they stand a good chance of winning. All electoral changes before the election would just make the playing field more level. All the money in Thailand would not be enough to buy it.

I don't believe for one minute that this mysterious group of amarat with all the money is behind this movement. If they wanted to buy the election they would be able to brush Thaksin off like as if he was a fly on a rotten piece of fruit. They would never back such a movement as the one Suthep is proposing if it was there intention to run Thailand. They do all rite for them selves all ready and no matter who is in Government they continue to prosper. Mainly through good business sense.m Or they inherited it.

"The people's assembly will exclude politicians. Otherwise, you won't be able to change laws on elections, political parties and corruption," Suthep said, noting that people who take part in the assembly must be banned from politics for five years.

That is a real help to screening out potential members of the council. It will still leave a problem of who is to be on the council and who is to be doing the choosing. I would suggest that some foreigners be on it also. What will be needed is people with open minds as well as a desire to help Thailand out of the current system it is in that allopws the corruption corruption includes people like the red bull heir getting sick and having to go to Hong Kong.

"The standard of Thai politics would be higher. Politicians will no longer dare to do things without caring for the people," he said.
According to the reform plan, anyone will be able to petition a corruption case in court and such cases would have no statute of limitations. Elections must be free and fair, and people want power decentralized and would not accept corrupt policies. The national police would have to be restructured. These were priorities that must be finished within a year or 18 months, he said.

Well I agree that any case of corruption must be allowed to be taken to court. The no time limit would need a starting point. Other wise there would not be enough courts or people qualified to sit on them to hear all the cases going back 50 or so years. I did have to laugh at the national police would have to be restructured line. Wouldn't be much left with out the Shinawatra clan and their for hire flunkies controlling it.

All of the above I agreed on I just deleted a lot that was more filler. I am a strong believer that Thailand deserves better than it has been getting. That includes all past governments even the one a few years ago that managed to stop the corruption rate from rising. Much needs to be changed that has long been ignored. Especially education.wai.gif

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

I don't know how many of the posters on here have actually read the OP or even taken the time to look up Sutheps past, by the look of the posts, not very many.

There is one thing that to me stands out and makes perfect sense :

"The people's assembly will exclude politicians. Otherwise, you won't be able to change laws on elections, political parties and corruption," Suthep said, noting that people who take part in the assembly must be banned from politics for five years.

Keep politicians out of the reform process, that would include him .

• Like 1