drivers licence in isaan?

davetrout

I got stopped by bib on the way from Sisaket to Ubon ,had a checkpoint outside of home solutions ,new car no plates normally no problem showed him my IDP and Australian licence wasn't interested in them just kept on asking why no licence plates. Wife reached across me and slipped 100 baht into his hand and he handed back my licences and waved us on,thieving b.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I got stopped by bib on the way from Sisaket to Ubon ,had a checkpoint outside of home solutions ,new car no plates normally no problem showed him my IDP and Australian licence wasn't interested in them just kept on asking why no licence plates. Wife reached across me and slipped 100 baht into his hand and he handed back my licences and waved us on,thieving b. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just like voting. whistling.gif

I got stopped by bib on the way from Sisaket to Ubon ,had a checkpoint outside of home solutions ,new car no plates normally no problem showed him my IDP and Australian licence wasn't interested in them just kept on asking why no licence plates. Wife reached across me and slipped 100 baht into his hand and he handed back my licences and waved us on,thieving b. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your wife is wasting your money coffee1.gif

it's been my experience that the only thing the police in Sakon want is a thai license. Before I tried showing USA license - sometimes they would chuckle and wave me on and other times they would have me pay the 200 baht fine. Having the International License makes it easier to obtain Thai license - no need for written exam portion. Having a Thai license makes life that much easier. I have a license for car but not motorbike. Could never pass the written test for motorbike.

Last year, I had to take all testing. And don't think you could never pass the M/C test. There are only 2 or 3 questions that apply to motorcycles. The rest are the same.

I recently obtained my motorcycle license. I had no problem with the written/computer based test. If you fail you can immediately review all your missed questions and retake the test.

I had my challenges in the road test which is also very easy. I, however, had difficulty riding in a straight line on the approx one foot by thirty feet or so raised concrete plank test. Two tries and and two fails on the first day. I went home and practiced and came back a couple of days later for a retry. Passed on the second time through.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

welcome to the real world
  • Like 1

welcome to the real world

My lady went for a 5 year renewal for a car lisence and because I was there with her getting car AND motorbike, they gave her the same without any test or riding!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your wife is wasting your money coffee1.gif

yes and no, I could have kiss he's backside and told him what a great job the highway patrol boys are doing but that was not going to happen, also have been with my wife for 34 years and never seen her waste money, well maybe a little bitsmile.png also this copper spoke English.

• Like 1

The guys coming to Sisaket and that is my first hand experience in Sisaket.

The 2 times I've been stopped by traffic police recently, once on 221 just to the south of Sisaket and the other in Yasothon they accepted my IDP no questions asked. They didn't ask for my original licence.

Once was an imaginary speeding offence which i quickly talked myself out of, and the other a night time road block.

Just to add. No donations were required either.

So many experts! and many are actual more stupid than the Thai Police! facepalm.gif

I think a lot of the misunderstandings are due to the Thai Police don't speak English smile.png

I have been driving in Thailand, car and motorsai, for more than 10 years and never been asked for a donation! biggrin.png

If you follow the rules there are no problems laugh.png

If you don't you have to pay clap2.gif

Dude, I'm truly happen that you seem to have had zero incidents with the local constabulary, but honestly you seem to be inhabiting a somewhat different version of the Thailand familiar to most of us that live here.

• Like 2

The guys coming to Sisaket and that is my first hand experience in Sisaket.

The 2 times I've been stopped by traffic police recently, once on 221 just to the south of Sisaket and the other in Yasothon they accepted my IDP no questions asked. They didn't ask for my original licence.

Once was an imaginary speeding offence which i quickly talked myself out of, and the other a night time road block.

Just to add. No donations were required either.

So many experts! and many are actual more stupid than the Thai Police! facepalm.gif

I think a lot of the misunderstandings are due to the Thai Police don't speak English smile.png

I have been driving in Thailand, car and motorsai, for more than 10 years and never been asked for a donation! biggrin.png

If you follow the rules there are no problems laugh.png

If you don't you have to pay clap2.gif

Dude, I'm truly happen that you seem to have had zero incidents with the local constabulary, but honestly you seem to be inhabiting a somewhat different version of the Thailand familiar to most of us that live here.

Yes and I know it smile.png

But when I read about most of the problems, I think most farangs are looking down on all laws and everything in Thailand facepalm.gif

If you don't like it, go back to your nice country laugh.png Of course I understand you think, YOU are the most intelligent in Thailand! cheesy.gif

Let us be positive and happy to live in a country like this and try to understand it!!! thumbsup.gif

My 5 cent! coffee1.gif

it's been my experience that the only thing the police in Sakon want is a thai license. Before I tried showing USA license - sometimes they would chuckle and wave me on and other times they would have me pay the 200 baht fine. Having the International License makes it easier to obtain Thai license - no need for written exam portion. Having a Thai license makes life that much easier. I have a license for car but not motorbike. Could never pass the written test for motorbike.

Not any more, even with an IDP the Land Transportation Department (LTD) are now starting to make all foreigners with their home licences and idp take the written and driving test. Be per paired.. I personally know of individuals over the past 2 weeks that this has happen to.

Must be something new. I got my 1 year licence in March 2013 and didn't need to do the written or driving. I did have to do the colour blindness and reaction though. The colour blindness wasn't a real one just giving the colour of traffic lights so no great problem.

This was in Mahasarakham by the way.

Edited by kimamey

Hi i just get my Thai driving license in isaan few months ago and i will renew it after 1 year... and they give you next 5 years of it

my req:

i just have tourist visa

resident certificate from embassy

and also prof letter from the owner of the house or apartment if u just rent

Note: you must go early morning and make your doc. complete

Not any more, even with an IDP the Land Transportation Department (LTD) are now starting to make all foreigners with their home licences and idp take the written and driving test. Be per paired.. I personally know of individuals over the past 2 weeks that this has happen to.

Must be something new. I got my 1 year licence in March 2013 and didn't need to do the written or driving. I did have to do the colour blindness and reaction though. The colour blindness wasn't a real one just giving the colour of traffic lights so no great problem.

This was in Mahasarakham by the way.

Started December 2013.

There are only 2 ways to drive legally in Thailand to my knowledge.

1) is by having a Thai driving licence and for that you need to sit the test and produce your passport, yellow Thai house book whicj contains your name and the address you live at in Thailand and driving licence from your home country.

2) International Driving Permit issued in your own country, usually valid for 1 year.

Thai police, especially in the the bush will very often just wave you through on production of your licence from your home country but they have the right to fine you.

Just ask all the tourists who get stopped in Pattaya without either of the above and have to pay a fine, usually riding motorcycles they've rented. Easy money for the the police.

Oh, and you need a another Thai licence for motorcycles so if you want to cover both car and bikes then you need 2 separate licences.

1) is by having a Thai driving licence and for that you need to sit the test and produce your passport, yellow Thai house book whicj contains your name and the address you live at in Thailand and driving licence from your home country.

2) International Driving Permit issued in your own country, usually valid for 1 year.

Thai police, especially in the the bush will very often just wave you through on production of your licence from your home country but they have the right to fine you.

Just ask all the tourists who get stopped in Pattaya without either of the above and have to pay a fine, usually riding motorcycles they've rented. Easy money for the the police.

Oh, and you need a another Thai licence for motorcycles so if you want to cover both car and bikes then you need 2 separate licences.

Scratch number 1 as some LTD's do not accept a yellow house book.

Then ask to sort it out at the counter or to call for their boss.

The yellow house book is nothing else than proof of residency and an official Thai document which has to be accepted.

Bye,

Derk

The yellow house book is nothing else than proof of residency and an official Thai document which has to be accepted.

Bye,

Derk

No it does not. This is common threw out Thailand.

Edited by khwaibah

Bye,

Derk

Although an official Thai document (The yellow HB) it is only confirming that you reside at that address, I don't believe it has any value legally.

Forgot to mention that you also need a medical certificate, 30 THB at the local pharmacy, at least where I live.

As mentioned already, everything in Thailand is subject to interpretation or should I say dependent on the (lack) of knowledge of the official you are dealing with as nobody will admit they don't know the rules due to the prospect of "losing face'.

Although an official Thai document (The yellow HB) it is only confirming that you reside at that address, I don't believe it has any value legally.

Forgot to mention that you also need a medical certificate, 30 THB at the local pharmacy, at least where I live.

As mentioned already, everything in Thailand is subject to interpretation or should I say dependent on the (lack) of knowledge of the official you are dealing with as nobody will admit they don't know the rules due to the prospect of "losing face'.

Yes, it's only confirming your residence and as such replacing proof of residence by immigration.

Just try calmly asking for the boss if the officer is not willing, and if the boss is the same way just tell then you would have to go to main office in Bangkok to do this and also leave a complaint there...

They will do.

Bye,

Derk

It seems to be inevitable for many foreigners, who live in Thailand, not to understand Thai practice regarding the law. And the practice is very simple. They do whatever they want. And because of this discussions among foreigners run high. We have all our story to tell.

This is from my previous link. And this is, so far as I know, what Thai law requires.

What you will need when applying for your thai drivers license:

• If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.
  • Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
  • Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
  • A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).

Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.

If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!

• A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
  • 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).
  • Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
  • Note that 1 set of these documents is required per licence applications. However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.
Edited by Norlund

It seems to be inevitable for many foreigners, who live in Thailand, not to understand Thai practice regarding the law. And the practice is very simple. They do whatever they want. And because of this discussions among foreigners run high. We have all our story to tell.

This is from my previous link. And this is, so far as I know, what Thai law requires.

• If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.
  • Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
  • A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).

Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.

If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!

• A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
  • 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).
  • Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
  • Note that 1 set of these documents is required per licence applications. However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.

I had a different experience in obtaining the documentation from the local immigration office. We went there in the morning with our official paperwork showing were we lived. I paid the nice lady for necessary copies, and also had photos taken there as well. In that I would be wanting both an automobile license and a motorcycle license, I asked for two copies of their certification.

In less than an hour, I had the documentation and was on my way to pick up the medical certificate - again in two copies.

The next stop was to pick up my drivers license. I took the necessary tests including the computer test for the motorcycle license. - I did to previously have one.

By he end of the day I had my automobile drivers license and would have had the motorcycle license as well if I had passed the driving test. I failed and had to come back in two days, when I passed and picked up that license.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can show your Oz one which will be fine. Just mention that you are on holidays. Make sure you have your passport with you. You can also go to NRMA, RACV etc in Oz and get a 12 month international drivers licence. Im pretty sure you wont be able to get a thai drivers licence unless you are actually living here. Maybe wrong on that but when I get my licence renewed in the past I have always had to get a letter from immigration to prove that I live here.

Yup! When I applied for my international license before going to Thailand I went to RACV and paid $40 for a small book which stated in both Thai/English I have legal rights by the co-operation of Thai/Oz law I'm legally allowed to drive. The license is long expired but every time I get pulled over, I show it, and police don't even bother to check the expiry date ehehehe.

All well and good till you have or are involved in an accident and find you are not insured.

You can show your Oz one which will be fine. Just mention that you are on holidays. Make sure you have your passport with you. You can also go to NRMA, RACV etc in Oz and get a 12 month international drivers licence. Im pretty sure you wont be able to get a thai drivers licence unless you are actually living here. Maybe wrong on that but when I get my licence renewed in the past I have always had to get a letter from immigration to prove that I live here.

Yup! When I applied for my international license before going to Thailand I went to RACV and paid $40 for a small book which stated in both Thai/English I have legal rights by the co-operation of Thai/Oz law I'm legally allowed to drive. The license is long expired but every time I get pulled over, I show it, and police don't even bother to check the expiry date ehehehe.

Its referred to as an international driving permit and must be carried in addition to your home countries driving licence.

I have held a few issued from the RACV and none have had any Thai script printed on them, just the 9 listed as per RACV web site.if you drive on an Australian licence only you are deemed as not being licensed by your insurance company if you were to be involved in an accident. you must have both to be legal.

If you wanted to ride a motor bike on an IDP you must be licensed to ride a bike in your home country, more chance of having your accident / travel insurance void if you were left limbless too.

How does an IDP work?

International Driving Permits (IDPs) entitle the holder to drive motor vehicles specified in the IDP and in all counteracting countries without further examination.

Your IDP carries your identification details in nine languages (plus Arabic upon request), in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities:

• English
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Greek
  • German
  • Italian
  • Russian
  • Chinese
  • French
  • Arabic (insert) - available upon request

The fastest IMHO option is to obtain your own yellow house book, (if you have the visa to get one, in my case Non O, 1 year extn, X5 now based on marriage) no visit to an Embassy several hundred Kms away, no waiting or driving to your nearest Imm' office in my case another 200 Kms round trip.

The yellow house book only takes a couple of hours to obtain depending on how busy your local government office is on that day, at least that was my experience, provided you've lined up all your ducks, e.g headman or other local official to vouch you live at that address etc.

I now have my yellow house book ID on my driving licence, instead of my passport number and now use this when checking into hotels and for other activities and it seems to provide a better option to the Thai's when dealing with my transaction as it's a Thai issued ID.