Best diesel fuel?

Makai128

Most oil companies in Thailand all have the same diesel fuel.

Coming from the same tanker trains, taker trucks or pipeline.

Shell, up till some time ago, had their own supply chain, if that is still the case?

That said, newer diesel engines all have a chip to control the engine.

And that also means the engine is manupilated by said schip to finetune for the diesel fuel in the tank.

If you believe their ads, its always Shell having the best fuels with best additives.

No idea whether anything real is behind it.

Generally all Diesel fuel contains a percentage of palm oil.

Last number was 5%.

There was an intention to move up to 7%, which may be delayed because of (yet another) palm oil shortage.

All modern diesel cars should be fit for B5 and B7 according to this article:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Palm-oil-shortages-could-hurt-B7-bio-diesel-Bangch-30212388.html

Somewhere I read they would instead move temporarily to B4, so that people have enough for their frying pans biggrin.png

(can't find the source)

Edited by KhunBENQ

When I am near a Shell station I always tank up. From my experience my ride is smoother and happier. Whether other companies have produced similar fuel I don't know, but I do know that my engine likes V-power. But, up to you, as they say.......smile.png

• Like 1

If you believe their ads, its always Shell having the best fuels with best additives.

Last number was 5%.

There was an intention to move up to 7%, which may be delayed because of (yet another) palm oil shortage.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Palm-oil-shortages-could-hurt-B7-bio-diesel-Bangch-30212388.html

Somewhere I read they would instead move temporarily to B4, so that people have enough for their frying pans biggrin.png

(can't find the source)

You say generally all diesel fuel's contain a % of palm oil how is this the case unless it's added and then it would be bio diesel.

I buy diesel from Shell and Ptt which does not contain palm oil. So are you referring to bio diesel?

When I am near a Shell station I always tank up. From my experience my ride is smoother and happier. Whether other companies have produced similar fuel I don't know, but I do know that my engine likes V-power. But, up to you, as they say.......smile.png

I have had my engine sorted more power. I always use any Diesel that's available most of the time but if I'm going on a run I always fill up with Shell V power as I have noticed that it does run smoother after 500km trip, then it's back to any old stuff. V power make's it smoke more due to the extra thing's I have had done to it. Haven't noticed any improvement in speed.

Last number was 5%.

(can't find the source)

You say generally all diesel fuel's contain a % of palm oil how is this the case unless it's added and then it would be bio diesel.

I buy diesel from Shell and Ptt which does not contain palm oil. So are you referring to bio diesel?

The mention of B4/B5/B7 diesel would suggest that it is bio diesel.

Last number was 5%.

(can't find the source)

The mention of B4/B5/B7 diesel would suggest that it is bio diesel.

B5 has not been available for sometime.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/547389-b5-diesel/

I use PTT,

I can not remember a single pump station with a choice of normal diesel and bio diesel.

Had about 100 (?) tank stops in about 3 years.

So I doubt that there is any "non bio" diesel in my region.

Maybe different in other parts of Thailand

PTT shows "HyForcePremiumDiesel" for 32.99 on its website:

http://www.pttplc.com/EN/Pages/home.aspx

Never seen in 3 years.

I can not remember a single pump station with a choice of normal diesel and bio diesel.

Never seen in 3 years.

32.38 in Prasat.

Never seen in 3 years.

You must live in the bush, it's normal at a reputable service station like Ptt, Caltex or Shell to have normal diesel or bio diesel give your truck a run and go to the big city.

Never seen in 3 years.

You must live in the bush, it's normal at a reputable service station like Ptt, Caltex or Shell to have normal diesel or bio diesel give your truck a run and go to the big city.

Bio diesel ( B5 - B2 ) hasn't been available for at least 2 years, outside of the bushes .

I usually go with PTT because I know they take a credit card, but I filled up with Shell today.

Made absolutely no difference yet, but I've only done about 80kms with it.

Perhaps I notice the difference because my truck has a performance chip. thumbsup.gif

Shell claim their diesel has cleaning agents added to keep the fuel system clean, especially the injectors. It will also over a period clean a system that has been used with other brand fuels.

Diesel sold in Thailand contains up to 5% biofuel. This was mandated in 2010 (or thereabouts). It's not quoted on the pumps as such. See KhunBENQ's quote above re temporarily reducing the amount of biofuel.

Caltex and shell claim to have 'special' additives to keep engines clean. Does it work, I don't know for sure.

as said above, Caltex diesel seems to give me a better mileage.

• Like 1

Ever since Euro4 became standard, most diesels have been pretty similar. Caltex Techron and Shell V-power do seem to have better cleaning additives, but there's not the massive gap there used to be between them and the others back in the Euro3 days. Instead of using them exclusively, you might just want to pay the extra every few tanks for a bit of a clean out :)

Some PTT's also sell Euro5 diesel, but no major benefit to that unless you have an Euro import that needs it.

• Like 1

Diesel sold in Thailand contains up to 5% biofuel. This was mandated in 2010 (or thereabouts). It's not quoted on the pumps as such. See KhunBENQ's quote above re temporarily reducing the amount of biofuel.

Caltex and shell claim to have 'special' additives to keep engines clean. Does it work, I don't know for sure.

No one else has confirmed diesel sold by the major players contains up to 5% bio fuel the quote from Benq prove's nothing. Anyone with any proof what's the word from IMHO?

One thing that people like to forget is, that the Diesel also needs to lubricate the fuel pump and the better or the more cleaning additives you have in it the more earlier problems you'll get with the pump. Nowadays nothing is made to last for a long time anymore.

Ever since Euro4 became standard, most diesels have been pretty similar. Caltex Techron and Shell V-power do seem to have better cleaning additives, but there's not the massive gap there used to be between them and the others back in the Euro3 days. Instead of using them exclusively, you might just want to pay the extra every few tanks for a bit of a clean out smile.png

Some PTT's also sell Euro5 diesel, but no major benefit to that unless you have an Euro import that needs it.

Caltex Techron comes at ther regular price of 29.96 Baht, where Shell V-power carries a premium.

No one else has confirmed diesel sold by the major players contains up to 5% bio fuel the quote from Benq prove's nothing. Anyone with any proof what's the word from IMHO?

Until about 2 years ago 5 % and 2% biodiesel was sold by the major brands, and it was clearly labeled B5 and B2 on the pump, and it was also cheaper than regular diesel.

It was discontinued because the cooking oil manufacturers sold their oil to the petroleum companies resulting in empty shelves in the supermarkets and if you could find a few bottles of palm oil they were double price from normally.

Ever since Euro4 became standard, most diesels have been pretty similar. Caltex Techron and Shell V-power do seem to have better cleaning additives, but there's not the massive gap there used to be between them and the others back in the Euro3 days. Instead of using them exclusively, you might just want to pay the extra every few tanks for a bit of a clean out smile.png

Caltex Techron comes at ther regular price of 29.96 Baht, where Shell V-power carries a premium.

According to the Bureau of Petroleum and Petrochemical Policy all High Speed Diesel is priced the same (29.99) today.

The Thai Energy Ministry still says we must use Biodiesel. The B2 and B5 branding and discounts have just been dropped. The % also keeps getting adjusted for the availability/ cost of palm oil. The latest target reported recently was B4.

• Like 2

According to the Bureau of Petroleum and Petrochemical Policy all High Speed Diesel is priced the same (29.99) today.

http://www.shell.co.th/en/products-services/on-the-road/fuels/shell-fuel-prices.html

One thing that people like to forget is, that the Diesel also needs to lubricate the fuel pump and the better or the more cleaning additives you have in it the more earlier problems you'll get with the pump. Nowadays nothing is made to last for a long time anymore.

I don't know about all that. I do know that I can expect to easily get 300,000Km out of new pickup with virtually no maintenance beyond scheduled.

I have been driving diesel off and on for close to forty years and have experienced one premature injector-pump failure, and I believe that was due to incorrect assembly.

http://www.shell.co.th/en/products-services/on-the-road/fuels/shell-fuel-prices.html

Then I have no idea which one I used :)