Best diesel fuel?

Makai128

I went to shell and filled my vcross up with v power, the car runs better IMO Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mine always runs better after a good wash and wax. ;)

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have been alternating between vpower and fuel save diesel, and checking the mileage. I have not seen any difference in driveability, smoke, or mileage between the two in my Nissan Navara. I think vpower is a waste of money.

• Like 2

I have been alternating between vpower and fuel save diesel, and checking the mileage. I have not seen any difference in driveability, smoke, or mileage between the two in my Nissan Navara. I think vpower is a waste of money.

Hmmm, but you have a Nissan...................whistling.gif

Ever since Euro4 became standard, most diesels have been pretty similar. Caltex Techron and Shell V-power do seem to have better cleaning additives, but there's not the massive gap there used to be between them and the others back in the Euro3 days. Instead of using them exclusively, you might just want to pay the extra every few tanks for a bit of a clean out smile.png

Some PTT's also sell Euro5 diesel, but no major benefit to that unless you have an Euro import that needs it.

Caltex Techron comes at ther regular price of 29.96 Baht, where Shell V-power carries a premium.

According to the Bureau of Petroleum and Petrochemical Policy all High Speed Diesel is priced the same (29.99) today.

http://www.shell.co.th/en/products-services/on-the-road/fuels/shell-fuel-prices.html

If it's the same price for other diesel fuel and V-Power Diesel, then why isn't that ratified at the Shell gas stations.

Same as gasohol 95, V-Power is more expensive.

Whether it's better or not is a different matter. Personally I use Caltex and Shell (V-Power) for diesel and gasoline. In emergencies I use others, in increments of 50THB by volume. PTT and Bangchack are bottom of my preferred list.

Jerry

[quote name="Jerry Cornelius" post="7390041" tsoline. In emergencies I use others, in increments of 50THB by volume. PTT and Bangchack are bottom of my preferred list.

Jerry

Why are they at the bottom?

[quote name="Jerry Cornelius" post="7390041" tsoline. In emergencies I use others, in increments of 50THB by volume. PTT and Bangchack are bottom of my preferred list.

Jerry

Why are they at the bottom?

From my experience running bikes here.

When used in a Honda Wave the throttle respnse is noticeably slow, particularly when first setting off. It's as it's being over-choked. It's the same on both carburator and fuel injected bikes.

On a bigger bike, it's harder to start and doesn't run smoothly for a while. Again signs of over-choking. Checking the spark plugs suggests this is the case also. Lots of black deposits.

Never had these problems using; Shell, Caltex or Esso, the engines start more easily and 'feel' better when riding. So these fuels are what I use for car, bikes and truck..

All brands have to meet specification but there are upper and lower tolerances set in the fuel specifications. I suspect that PTT and Bangchack fuels are at the lower end of the permitted tolerances but without the necessary equipment and facilities to check this, it's only a suspicion.

With the exception of V-Power the fuels are the same price so there's no cost benefit in using fuels that I have reservations about. I'm happy with my brand choice and will stay with it.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

as an update, I just put in 1000 baht of diesel from the station with the green leaf on the sign - not sure what its called. Either I am driving much heavier on the foot or this fuel sucks.

Like many people I imagine, we fill up with what's close by. Not sure if this makes any difference, chopping and changing but probably cant help.

I did use the vpower a few times here and there and it seemed ok (placebo effect?)

I am gonna do my next few fills with Caltex to see if there is any difference in power/economy with this techron in there. I figure it will take 3 fill ups to see any benefits of this cleaning agent it supposed to have.