Anybody leaving Bangkok to avoid the protests?

CMTourist

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, at work as usual.

Feels like south east England with 3" of snow - people forecasting armageddon, stockpiling food and trotting out their Rambo stories, when the only difference I noticed was that the traffic was a dream - even less than over the new year break.

I live and work near Asoke and have the day off tomorrow because of the forecasts and unknowns. Normally, I'd be heading off for some R&R away from BKK for a 3 day weekend.

I'm not leaving simply because I'm afraid I'd get stuck OUT OF town if the city actually gets jammed up. Better for me, as a single working stiff, to get stuck between home and office. Got lots of food, water, cash and movies in case I get homebound. Office is on a very high floor with excellent security on the outside chance things get truly out of hand.

If I had a family with me, we'd already be on a beach somewhere, or at the river. Very different thought process if I were deciding for more than just me.

I hope all goes well for you. Make your decision based on what's right for you. Don't let anyone talk you into staying or leaving because they're a Rambo wannabe.

"Don't let anyone talk you into staying or leaving because they're a Rambo wannabe."

Isn't TV the hub of Rambo-wannabes?

at_night_i_dress_up_like_a_ninja_sweatsh

Guess what, if you miss the tremendous traffic jams of Asoke then come to Pattaya. Park in Central Festivals parking on beach road and it takes you guaranteed two hours+ to leave the parking.
So Pattaya offers everything you need - including nice traffic jams.
I for one got out of Pattaya for the time being ;-)

I live in Asoke.

No way I'm leaving.

I'm not a wannabe "tough guy"; I just don't believe that, as a foreigner, there's anything to be afraid of.

These morons blocked Asoke on 22nd December - Terminal 21 was still open and I bought dinner there.

This time I agree with your use of the word 'morons'.

Leaving Bangkok would require entering the most dangerous place in all of Thailand: the minibus.

I have been using the minibus service between Nakhon Sawan and Bangkok a few times recently, and I never had any issue with the drivers. In my experience, it was the majority of other drivers who were the problem ie sticking to outside lanes and driving too slowly, thus forcing the minibus driver to keep switching lanes, which by the way, they always did safely. Sorry about being off topic a bit.

I have seen numerous protests over the years. I do not think you should have any concerns if you are sensible and stay away from protest areas and large crowds. You will not be targetted unless you go looking for confrontational situations. This is for the Thai people to sort out for themselves. Just grab some beers, put your feet up and watch the TV. I have a wife and family here and I am cool. If I thought our lives were in jeopardy we would have gone elsewhere.

I sensible post! leave it up to the Thai's we are here because they allow us to be here.

Mainly because of what we contribute to the Thai economy.

Not leaving, but left already. Will be back again after 5 weeks of work.

Me too. 6 years in Thailand and I have been at work for every event. Protests. Airport thing. Floods.

Some type of odd karma luck. Though I did fly my Dad his wife and my GF to Koh Chang for the next 10 days to relax and get out of the hub of problems!

I have seen numerous protests over the years. I do not think you should have any concerns if you are sensible and stay away from protest areas and large crowds. You will not be targetted unless you go looking for confrontational situations. This is for the Thai people to sort out for themselves. Just grab some beers, put your feet up and watch the TV. I have a wife and family here and I am cool. If I thought our lives were in jeopardy we would have gone elsewhere.

I sensible post! leave it up to the Thai's we are here because they allow us to be here.

Mainly because of what we contribute to the Thai economy.

we contribute to the thai economy??? pfft, what did u produce and exchage for thai production?

most expats come over here sell their foreign reserves to the CB then attribute to inflation

like it or not farang r part of the thai poverty problem

After 9 years, I'm finished with Thailand. I leave tonight not to return, am leaving

wife, house etc worth about 100.000 US, no regrets, just want to run.

Because of the protests? I mean I get that they're the straw that broke the back, but it seems a slightly extreme reaction.

Has anyone had any experience of supermarket shopping today? I'm stocked up, for about a week, but after that I will need to get some foodstuffs, or leave the country until things settle down. Normally I shop at Central Food Hall, (in Ploenchit), but alas that road is now closed.

If people can share their experiences of getting around the city today and in the coming days, it would be helpful. Like most, I have not ventured out today at all. I live in Sathorn. My maid lives in Lad Prao and turned up for work today as usual. She said it took a long time to get here. I have left it up to her own discretion whether she comes to work or not; (she is very loyal and trustworthy.)

Edited by samtam

Has anyone had any experience of supermarket shopping today? I'm stocked up, for about a week, but after that I will need to get some foodstuffs, or leave the country until things settle down. Normally I shop at Central Food Hall, (in Ploenchit), but alas that road is now closed.

If people can share their experiences of getting around the city today and in the coming days, it would be helpful. Like most, I have not ventured out today at all. I live in Sathorn. My maid lives in Lad Prao and turned up for work today as usual. She said it took a long time to get here. I have left it up to her own discretion whether she comes to work or not; (she is very loyal and trustworthy.)

Indeed, the road is closed. I ordered my maid to proceed to Central Food Hall ON FOOT and, in a troubling turn of affairs, she phoned me to report that the store is completely out of quail's eggs, lollo rosso lettuce AND cilantro. Quite worrisome, as she always makes me a quail egg salad on Mondays. Alas, should this most distressing situation of food shortages continue then I fear I may have no option but to make a dash for Pattaya where I'm sure Central shall not be experiencing such deprivations, unless of course they shut down the airport AGAIN, in which case all imported foodstuffs are out and then it's either drive to Hat Yai and fly to Singapore or make do with the dreadfully spicy local Thai rubbish! Just when I thought this country was starting to become civilised!

Indeed, the road is closed. I ordered my maid to proceed to Central Food Hall ON FOOT and, in a troubling turn of affairs, she phoned me to report that the store is completely out of quail's eggs, lollo rosso lettuce AND cilantro. Quite worrisome, as she always makes me a quail egg salad on Mondays. Alas, should this most distressing situation of food shortages continue then I fear I may have no option but to make a dash for Pattaya where I'm sure Central shall not be experiencing such deprivations, unless of course they shut down the airport AGAIN, in which case all imported foodstuffs are out and then it's either drive to Hat Yai and fly to Singapore or make do with the dreadfully spicy local Thai rubbish! Just when I thought this country was starting to become civilised!

Get in the Rolls and drive to the St Regis....the Japanese place is acceptable.....particularly the soft shell crab and sashimi. smile.png

Actually perhaps you should call first in case the protesters have booked it up.

Thanks guys. Beyond helpful.

55555, you are loving this whole state of affairs aren't you...just keep coming out with zingers day after day - our own Tim Conway