Anybody leaving Bangkok to avoid the protests?

CMTourist

Has anyone had any experience of supermarket shopping today? I'm stocked up, for about a week, but after that I will need to get some foodstuffs, or leave the country until things settle down. Normally I shop at Central Food Hall, (in Ploenchit), but alas that road is now closed.

If people can share their experiences of getting around the city today and in the coming days, it would be helpful. Like most, I have not ventured out today at all. I live in Sathorn. My maid lives in Lad Prao and turned up for work today as usual. She said it took a long time to get here. I have left it up to her own discretion whether she comes to work or not; (she is very loyal and trustworthy.)

Indeed, the road is closed. I ordered my maid to proceed to Central Food Hall ON FOOT and, in a troubling turn of affairs, she phoned me to report that the store is completely out of quail's eggs, lollo rosso lettuce AND cilantro. Quite worrisome, as she always makes me a quail egg salad on Mondays. Alas, should this most distressing situation of food shortages continue then I fear I may have no option but to make a dash for Pattaya where I'm sure Central shall not be experiencing such deprivations, unless of course they shut down the airport AGAIN, in which case all imported foodstuffs are out and then it's either drive to Hat Yai and fly to Singapore or make do with the dreadfully spicy local Thai rubbish! Just when I thought this country was starting to become civilised!

Ok with that out of the way, lol

So I live on Soi 22, the road here is blocked from Soi 20 to Asoke (one lane - or maybe two now) kept open for local traffic at times but at times fully closed. I went to work on Sathorn today and there were few people at the intersection, it seemed as if the steam was out of the protest. Was very surprised when I returned this evening, a large crowd had formed again and there were lots of 'security' around, which i had not seeen in the AM or the day before.

We have a couple of weeks of emergency food and water here - but have run out of frsh stuff to cook. Girl will go to Villa tommorow (all things being as they seem right now at 23:00 - quiet) and get sowm more fresh food. The seven at the top of the soi, the one at soi 20 and the family at 18 were all open at around 1930, as were many of the other shops.

I do have my things ready and if things take a nasty turn then I have no issue with driving to the motorway and heading to the alternate condo out east.

Have been here for the tsunami (in Patong), the 06 coup, the 10 seige and so on so not in the mood to be inconvenienced too much anymore. That said as far as I can see as of right now, things seem fine, but I do feel they can turn nasty quickly - so I would keep moderately prepared - as that is always a good idea, and minimze your mingling or loitering around protest areas. Common sense I figure.

Actually it was a bit relieving to see so many people this evening, so much steam seemed to have gone from the prtest this AM I was worried there were plans being made to step up big to the next level as momentum was being lost - and that step up is what I think could be nasty. Maybe the turn out will help, not confident, but maybe.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 9 years, I'm finished with Thailand. I leave tonight not to return, am leaving

wife, house etc worth about 100.000 US, no regrets, just want to run.

Do you have any photo of the wife? I might wanna consider taking over the role :)

After 9 years, I'm finished with Thailand. I leave tonight not to return, am leaving

wife, house etc worth about 100.000 US, no regrets, just want to run.

Do you have any photo of the wife? I might wanna consider taking over the role smile.png

If he is scared of a little huff and puff and he is running away from her...doubt you would want a look in.

I am heading into the zone tomorrow....

I just got back now.....whistles and candlea here.....prefer pig n whistle myself....ah well.....

Can you drive from suk soi 1 to soi 12 ?

Dats as far as I need to go....oh and as long as the highway into town not blocked anywhere.

I am heading into the zone tomorrow....

I just got back now.....whistles and candlea here.....prefer pig n whistle myself....ah well.....

Can you drive from suk soi 1 to soi 12 ?

Dats as far as I need to go....oh and as long as the highway into town not blocked anywhere.

I'm on the other side of Asok so I can't say for certain but traffic was moving slowly through yesterday afternoon but blocked off in the evening.

The taxi drivers will know so you shouldn't have any trouble.