Leaving @ Suvanaburibum with + 5 Years overstay. Success.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a good side business for Thai Immigration. 20000 Baht is equal to 22 tourist visas issued or about 6 tourist single entries using the whole 90 days. Especially for land border customs quite a nice catch. There are always 20-30 guys paying overstay in any given tourist visa run. 200000-300000 Baht easily per border, 6000-10000 dollars for 2 hour job.

It is a good side business for Thai Immigration. 20000 Baht is equal to 22 tourist visas issued or about 6 tourist single entries using the whole 90 days. Especially for land border customs quite a nice catch. There are always 20-30 guys paying overstay in any given tourist visa run. 200000-300000 Baht easily per border, 6000-10000 dollars for 2 hour job.

Not sure where you get the figures "There are always 20-30 guys paying overstay in any given tourist visa run", but yes, it is a good side business.

I think, there are a couple of things should be added to the post.

The things contributed to my overstay are really not nice, nor this should encourage anyone to follow the example i have set. Anyhow, I am truly happy that i was given the courtesy to leave.

As most discouraging fact in the entire process i found the assistance of my own embassy ! I have no idea what kind of guidelines or rules they (have to) follow. There is one thing for sure - if you are in a ditch, dire straights or whatever you like to call it - don't count on support from them.

yeah, in 4 years, the only time I have been asked to see my passport is when I leave or enter the country - so I dont think overstaying would be a problem - however, i'd be pretty bored if I didn't leave thailand once in a while, so i'll keep on doing the visa runs / going home to see my friends/family once a year as I prefer it that way.

Same here....short visits out of the country twice a year. That gives me 30 days on arrival each time. About 2 months spent to see family and friends in my homeland, and a month in the Philippines to see my son. I get a double entry visa as well. With extensions, I am completely flexible for travel, should emegencies arrive. No need for a Retirement Extension either.

Love being a tourist. Also use it as a good excuse to get some free time away from my gal.

• Like 1

Well done OP, great to see yet another foreigner playing by the rules and maintaining the sterling reputation Thai's have of us. Keep up the good work when you come back.

Well, afraid to say so - and i am trying to be humble here. But do you think, that i messed up that kind of expression thousands of revellers on Phang Gahn, Pattaya, Samui and so on have created? I think i don't deserve so much credit. But thanks, anyway.

The things contributed to my overstay are really not nice, nor this should encourage anyone to follow the example i have set. Anyhow, I am truly happy that i was given the courtesy to leave.

As most discouraging fact in the entire process i found the assistance of my own embassy ! I have no idea what kind of guidelines or rules they (have to) follow. There is one thing for sure - if you are in a ditch, dire straights or whatever you like to call it - don't count on support from them.

Thanks for the post - very informative. As you send greetings from the UK (though use the American date format), it's a fair assumption you are talking about the British Embassy ? It occurs to me that one obvious reason they might have been relatively unhelpful, is that they are not idiots and know from long experience that the "I've lost my passport please issue a new one urgently" tactic, is used to avoid possible visa problems pretty regularly. Glad you got away unscathed !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Thanks for the post - very informative. As you send greetings from the UK (though use the American date format), it's a fair assumption you are talking about the British Embassy ? It occurs to me that one obvious reason they might have been relatively unhelpful, is that they are not idiots and know from long experience that the "I've lost my passport please issue a new one urgently" tactic, is used to avoid possible visa problems pretty regularly. Glad you got away unscathed !

Thanks. IMHO, what embassy you are heading to should not make a difference. I talked to a bunch of people,coming from different nations. If they categorize you not as a tourist (maximum 3 month stay ??) Don't expect help if you life here for a while. That is what they did to me. Anyone made different experiences?

The visa problem is not really one. Cause you have to transfer the visa from your old into you new passport. It really does not matter if you have overstay or no visa inside you passport, you'll find your self inside the next immigration office in both cases, if stopped by the coppers.

Edited by MattSiam

Always nice to hear the advice on resolving a lengthy overstay here in Thailand is accurate from someone who has left for home,

after a lengthy overstay. Glad you got home safely and all is well. thumbsup.gif

very brave of you in posting this and very good information i have been there myself and fully understand some of the difficult reasons that peope are inable to extend visas and do the visa runs unfortunately it can happen and theb spirals out of control to too may years and thats when people start kicking theirselves im glad you god home safe and shared your story

• Like 1

I sure hope no immigration's officials are monitoring TV website, otherwise they get the wrong impressions

that people actually gloats about how easy is to circumvent the rules and will put a stop to it....

I would have thought the UK Foreign Office might also be a bit miffed. Let's hope the OP was not accurate re his flight details otherwise I would have thought there would not be passengers with emergency UK passports travelling on an Emirates flight to the UK on 4 January.

If the Thai government was serious about overstay they simply could blacklist any person overstay for let say one year or more - never allowed to come to Thailand again.

The way they handle it now, just looks for me as they don't care at all, pay your fine and that it's.

Strange because when the police will catch you BEFORE you go to the airport you are in deep shit!!

I sure hope no immigration's officials are monitoring TV website, otherwise they get the wrong impressions

that people actually gloats about how easy is to circumvent the rules and will put a stop to it....

They have seen it all over the years at border checkpoints. They do not need to check this website about somebody gloating about an overstay. Thousands of farangs every day passing, many of them overstaying, some arrogant, some drunk, some ignorant et cetera.

What is much more serious is if you try to fake the stamp dates to avoid paying the overstay. That is a sure way to jail. One very unfortunate American millionaire learned the hard way not so long ago. Faked the date to the next day, get caught, ended up jail and died the next day. I think it was a heart attack. Died because of mere 500 Baht!

If Thailand was that concerned about overstayers, why don't they just change the penalty to 3 months detention, rather than a fine?

It's obviously not that much of an issue for them, more of an earner for them.

Personally, I stay within the rules but I don't judge others who don't, up to them!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1