Where to get some wood sheets cut in Jomtien/Pattaya.

Steiner

I want to get some melamine chipwood sheets cut, looking for somewhere that will run them through a circular saw at the correct size without chipping the life out of them.

Assuming some of the local expats can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks to all in advance.

I know of a good wood workshop on the darkside. If all else fails.

Darkside?

He is from the Electrical forum and just cut the power on the East side of Pattaya. biggrin.png

Seriously though, circular saws generally have very course tooth blades which will rip and chip your formica to shreds. I would buy a power saw for a thousand baht and fit it with a very fine blade and do it myself.

• Like 2

If you do wind up doing it yourself, run a length of strong masking tape down the line you want to cut, and mark the cutting line on the tape.

Depending on the quality of the laminate, this may prevent chipping.

Done a lot of construction in my time, never found the tape thing to work on cheaper quality laminate and I don't think there is any other kind in Thailand!

More about the direction of the cut, whatever face the cut enters should be ok, other face will be chipped to pieces.

Only way to stop that is to secure a strip of wood to the other face and clamp it tight, should stop the chipping or minimalise it.

Again all depends on the cut being laser straight, any movement or wobble of the saw or blade will cause chipping on both sides.

Re buying a cheap (and definitely poor quality) circular saw, that would be 1,000 to 1,500 for a saw, fine blade 600? Straight edge, clamps, be stuff I probably wouldn't use again for years and have to store.

Factor in that a cheaper saw might not cut as straight as required and the whole thing would be a waste of time.

A lumber yard should have a large high speed saw with an accurate guide that could do the job in seconds, just don't know my way around the local places yet..

If you do wind up doing it yourself, run a length of strong masking tape down the line you want to cut, and mark the cutting line on the tape.

Depending on the quality of the laminate, this may prevent chipping.

Done a lot of construction in my time, never found the tape thing to work on cheaper quality laminate and I don't think there is any other kind in Thailand!

More about the direction of the cut, whatever face the cut enters should be ok, other face will be chipped to pieces.

Only way to stop that is to secure a strip of wood to the other face and clamp it tight, should stop the chipping or minimalise it.

Again all depends on the cut being laser straight, any movement or wobble of the saw or blade will cause chipping on both sides.

Re buying a cheap (and definitely poor quality) circular saw, that would be 1,000 to 1,500 for a saw, fine blade 600? Straight edge, clamps, be stuff I probably wouldn't use again for years and have to store.

Factor in that a cheaper saw might not cut as straight as required and the whole thing would be a waste of time.

A lumber yard should have a large high speed saw with an accurate guide that could do the job in seconds, just don't know my way around the local places yet..

Agreed. I have no idea of the quality of the material that OP will be working with, but unless it is really good stuff and well bonded, he is far better off having it done at a shop. I also don't know the quality of the blades available here.

Perhaps a test cut on what would wind up as scrap will tell the tale before the final cuts are made.

I know of a good wood workshop on the darkside. If all else fails.

Be grateful if you could let me know this as well. I want to put in some staggered shelves, but they will need to be specially made. My daughter and I have looked at prefab staggered shelves, but nothing suits and I don't want chipboard. I have no idea which wood to use, and I don't trust my skills to do it myself. Be grateful for any advice.

On soi Tepprasit there are a few places, other option would be going to one of the boat builders almost all of whom have circular saws and workmen, and give them some cash to do for you. The places in Soi Tepprasit would probably want you to buy the wood from them.

I know that Andaman Boatyard for instance in Na Jomtien has the equipment for instance, as would serenity but whether they would do it or not depends on the owner I guess.

Many thanks. I know where that is, but had forgotten about it. Cheers.