interesting rock found: geologic or biologic?

boomerangutang

Who knows much about rocks? First a little background:

I got inspired by reading a book about the pre-Cambrian explosion as it relates to the Burgess Shale fossils. Today I went to an abandoned quarry and looked closely at rocks. I found one that looks interesting. Am not sure whether the lines on it are made from geological actions of are remnants of something biological. I don't yet have a photo. The interesting parts are minute ridges (1 mm wide and 1 mm apart), all perfectly parallel, and gently curving - between 2 and 7 inches long. I brought the 50 lb. rock to Boomerang Park. I have no idea how old the strata is - it came from.

Sedimentary? Layered rocks often are.

It looks to be an odd place. Am not even sure what was being quarried there (rare earth?). It's a jumble of rocks mixed with clay. The clays comprise several colors; yellows, crimson reds, coal blacks, several shades of blue, purple. The layering is often so tenuous, that they can be undone by fingers (rather than steel tools). A real mish-mash, to use an unscientific term. So, there is small layering within individual rocks, amid greater layering as you would expect under the ground.

It would be interesting to get some idea of the assumed ages of the rocks. It may be possible that the quarries (yes, there's more than one location) may be for sale, and the owners may not appreciate the specialness of the sites. Anyone interested? let me know. We can ask around.

Found a few more interesting rocks. Anyone want to see 'em?

Do you know of any interesting rocks or fossils found in the Chiang Rai region? I'm friends with American 'John' who has an impressive collection of stone tools from this region. He keeps them at his small house and is willing to show them to anyone who's interested. I've also seen a few old clay bowls on display on a dark shelf at Wat Prakaow (in the newer wooden building on its south side, ground floor).

Generally though, it appears Thais don't care about pre-history in their area. I'll be glad if anyone can prove my assumption wrong. Example: at my Boomerang property, I've shown remnants of ancient kilns to farang and to Thai. Guess who expresses the most interest? Yup, the farang. Perhaps Thais think that anything which predates Buddhism or royal lineages is unimportant.

BTW, the kilns are guesstimated at around 500 years old. Is there anywhere in Thailand to get something carbon-dated? The kilns were used for brick-making (probably for shrines, etc) and possibly also for smelting iron. Slag has been found alongside. There are remnants of at least 2 dozen at the Boomerang property. How many Thai 'experts' or regular folks have shown interest? Zero.

How is it marketing? Because I mention I put a rock at Boomerang? If I had someone marketing like that, I'd fire him/her in a Chiang Rai minute. Give a guy a break. I've tried getting projects going here in Chiang Rai for 16 years. I get a little bit of support here and there, but rip-offs have set me back - approx $90,000 (dollar value, not baht) altogether, when all the tools and stuff are tallied. Any reasonable person would have pulled up stakes long ago and said 'Adios, Chiang Rai'

What's 'marketing' about asking about interesting rocks in Chiang Rai area?

Having witnessed your numerous name changes, I was trying to congratulate you on discovering the “soft sell”, which I find much more agreeable overall. Now if you could just soften your Thai rhetoric a bit, it might be a little easier to hear what you are saying and people might end up being more sympathetic to your cause.smile.png

Found a few more interesting rocks. Anyone want to see 'em?

Do you know of any interesting rocks or fossils found in the Chiang Rai region? I'm friends with American 'John' who has an impressive collection of stone tools from this region. He keeps them at his small house and is willing to show them to anyone who's interested. I've also seen a few old clay bowls on display on a dark shelf at Wat Prakaow (in the newer wooden building on its south side, ground floor).

Generally though, it appears Thais don't care about pre-history in their area. I'll be glad if anyone can prove my assumption wrong. Example: at my Boomerang property, I've shown remnants of ancient kilns to farang and to Thai. Guess who expresses the most interest? Yup, the farang. Perhaps Thais think that anything which predates Buddhism or royal lineages is unimportant.

BTW, the kilns are guesstimated at around 500 years old. Is there anywhere in Thailand to get something carbon-dated? The kilns were used for brick-making (probably for shrines, etc) and possibly also for smelting iron. Slag has been found alongside. There are remnants of at least 2 dozen at the Boomerang property. How many Thai 'experts' or regular folks have shown interest? Zero.

I had friends come to Australia and I showed them some old cave paintings and they were fascinated , to me they were just old paintings. some people do not care what is in their backyard.smile.png

Once, while driving south to Lampang, I stopped at a Nat'l park which is on the top of a rise on the main hwy, which goes down to the city. There were cave-like paintings there. They were all brown-red in color. Several hand prints, about 3 to 6 meters high up a rock wall. The hands weren't the outline (like you might see in Australia, in white), but instead were filled in with color. The most impressive figure was a peacock type bird - stick-drawing. I had thought the paintings were fake or at least embellished (reworked) since originally made, because the colors were strong. Does anyone know about that collection, and can shed some light on whether they're fake or real or restored?