webfact

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/SEA-01-130114.html

History shows way out of Thai conflict

By Jeffrey Race

Deposed former prime minister police lieutenant colonel Thaksin Shinawatra brought something new to Thailand. It is what is preventing a peaceful settlement of the conflict now raging in Bangkok's streets, and it is not his political opening to the rural underclass as the press and public commentary superficially explain.

That was a very good link and it has made it a bit easier for me to understand the current conflict. Thank you very much.

+ 1, thank you, a real eye opener for me trying to get a "handle" on it all...

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

Thailand is not an international laughing stock. That is your own assertion. It does nothing but make you a laughing stock. Frankly I do not believe that I am well qualified to say what is best for this country but your projection of results if the PM steps down is absurd, whimsical. Dismiss people who honestly believe that they are demonstrating for the better as "anti-democratic street thugs" and you are spouting generic authoritarian rhetoric. You impress me as someone who is living comfortably and that is all that matters- Divining right and wrong is not your concern. You are willing to spin any convenient condemnation of something that might rock your cage. If a person seeking direction were to read your capricious blather and believe that you are a typical supporter of the current government they would jump in the other camp bien pronto.

Interesting how The Nation appears to be able to quote from a private Skype conversation between siblings?

I can't see why so many people are so hung up on Thaksin's continued involvement in Thai politics through his sister. Of course he gives her brotherly advice. Beyond him dying that is likely to continue, and,of course, Yingluck will continue to insist that she is her own person and makes her own decisions.

So, unless Yingluck is given pentathol and placed on a 'rack' and tortured,that has to be the accepted situation

If Thaksin did suggest to her that she stayed in post until the elections, very sound advice indeed.

Interesting to find this and next follow the link to the ATO article with

"Thaksin fled abroad in 2008 to avoid imprisonment and from various refuges has financed and directed the reconstruction of policies and political vehicles to continue his rule over Thailand, most recently installing his younger sister, Yingluck, as his proxy prime minister after Puea Thai won mid-2011 elections."

This story should be plastered on every television station around the world, every billboard, every blog, every newspaper. There shouldn't be a single space on the planet that doesn't carry this story. Thaksin - alternating between the role of Iago and Lady Macbeth - is now whispering ( shouting ) in his sister's ear, telling her that the protesters' call for her resignation is really just a ruse - once she resigns they will prosecute her for abandoning her country ( unlike him ) and throw her in prison ! This is the very height of infamy.This could have been peaceful resolved - yesterday ! But Thaksin - as ever the most selfish being on the planet, and dangerous to boot - is telling a prime minister over that blasted skype connection to hang tough ! ( presumably like he would, if he were only a man, and were actually here, where a prison sentence wouldn't be a just mere ruse ). Yingluck, trust your better instincts. Trust your heart and your feelings. Don't seek guidance from this man. He is only out for himself. He is out to deceive you and the country.

One shouldn't get too worked up about an obvious publicity stunt, Thaksin in a sourced news article openly advising his sister to hang tough or the law will come after her. Governments and investors globally know what the law is and means in Thailand - laws in the endemically corrupt Thailand mean nothing unless the elites put an X on you because you're not admitted to the club or because you kiss-off joining it.

\

Yingluck's call to the army chief was a consciously done stark reminder to the world that the army runs Thailand and that legitimately elected democratic government rejected by the elites is a sham. How many times has the Mussolini clone Suthep met openly and brazenly with the army chief and the tarnished top brass?

This is the story that's been presented repeatedly throughout the world and everyone paying even remote attention knows Thailand remains a feudal estate.

laugh.png For a while I thought Thailand was a country so thanks for reminding us that it's an estate.

Yingluck asked the army chief for his recommendation and Prayuth demurred and advised her that she may be responsible for anything untoward happening. This is 100% proof that the army is in charge? total crap.

Where is the evidence that Suthep met openly with Prayuth and other 'top brass'? More made up BS.

You have the typical half-cocked knowledge of the faux democracy in Thailand and using the Mussolini name only shows your hatred of the person, similar to those who use Hitler to describe Thaksin.

There have recently been quite a few countries (no, not estates) where people have been on the streets protesting against corrupt and/or authoritarian governments: Cambodia, Hong Kong, Ukraine, Turkey and not so long ago Egypt. I suppose they were all fascists.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

"and talked via Skype with Thaksin, who said the Constitution did not allow her to resign"... "She would face a jail term, he warned."

It also wrote that YL is about to resign right but after having a skype talk with Thaksin, she change her mind and stay on as a caretaker.

Is it ok for a convicted criminal on the run to manipulate a prime minister to do things as he wishes? I really can't see how does this really help contribute the nation?

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

Thailand is not an international laughing stock. That is your own assertion. It does nothing but make you a laughing stock. Frankly I do not believe that I am well qualified to say what is best for this country but your projection of results if the PM steps down is absurd, whimsical. Dismiss people who honestly believe that they are demonstrating for the better as "anti-democratic street thugs" and you are spouting generic authoritarian rhetoric. You impress me as someone who is living comfortably and that is all that matters- Divining right and wrong is not your concern. You are willing to spin any convenient condemnation of something that might rock your cage. If a person seeking direction were to read your capricious blather and believe that you are a typical supporter of the current government they would jump in the other camp bien pronto.

I notice a new pattern of attacking the poster, incessantly.

I support her. The charges are lame. Why don't we hear specific? That would make us shutter with rage? They haven't come up with anything substantial except she's too good to the poor and her cronies. Well of course the cronies on the other side, being the spoil rich people, aren't going to like it, Where's my violin!!!

I think she does have a responsibility alright, to let people earn a living and disperse the crowds. They can't elect another leader because they are too stingy to work with the poor. The poor which is the majority of thailand wont vote for those thugs <deleted> THEM!

• Like 2

And she claimed many times that she acts on her own and thinks for herself, yet once again big brother fugitive is telling her what to do....Let her quit, no jail term, just leave with all our blessings....Next, Surapong.

Why would she get a jail term? Or are you referring to her brother? She was voted in democratically. There is nothing in the constitution that says if someone in your family is a criminal that you can't be a PM. The current shutdown, however, is illegal, and should a leader be elected from the organisers, he or she would no doubt be taken to court by future opposition.

And what do you think you're going to get "next"? Who would you like to see as PM?

"Why would she get a jail term?"

Do you think allowing your fugitive criminal brother access to cabinet meetings is legal?

Do you think allowing him to suborn your MPs to promote his policies is legal?

Do you think promoting his policies despite clear conflicts of interest is legal?

I don't know, I am not a Thai lawyer. But then why has she not been indicted by the courts? I would think that the opposition has been trying to prove such things over the last 2 years and have seemingly failed - thus the desperate attempt at a shutdown of Bangkok.

All said and done, I don't support any of these self-serving individuals. But the point is, do you think these protests/shutdown will change anything in Thailand, even if a new government emerges?

DOH! Before you get indicted by the courts you have to be investigated by the DSI or other police, who present their findings to the AG, who decides if their is sufficient evidence to take it before a court. Do you not see the politicising of both these bodies; the total lack of charges brought against ANY PTP members? If not, you should ask Tarit his new definition of perjury, specifically changed to exclude Yingluk.

Reform is needed, I'm willing to give it a chance because anything will be better than the current pigsty.

<< the source said..................according to the sources.>>

laughable excuse for journalism

and if the sources actually exist.

Yeah, a "source" named Yoon. Goes hand in hand with the bogus Surin letter yesterday Why doesn't the paper just get it over with and change its name to the Nationalist. What a rag !!

no gumment can allow themselves to be forced out by a terrorist group of thugs can they , and replace it with a dictator ship with suthep at the helm ,perish the thought

Why do Farlang get their noses into Thailand business, you have no vote, you are just guests in my countwry

if you not like how we do things, get out and go home, Thailand will be a better place without you

Answer: Better off without help? No country is an expert in everything. We all consult outsiders, there are plenty of foreign experts in most countries. and 2) Thais can't even run a bus service, you crash buses every other day almost.

3) because you are attacking someone without having laid out the charges In fact farm price supports are not fraud. its fraud to say that they are when all governments do that.

4) someone said the rich are paying people to protest. 600 baht per day that's fraud.

5) this is a democratically elected government which has already called for an election,

Finally, if you don't like farungs opinion you don't have to read the forum! go crash a bus instead.

I have noticed more than a few posts in this thread that are insulting, baiting and inflammatory. If you cannot post in a polite manner respectful of others and the fact that they are allowed to have opinions different than your own then I would highly recommend that you do not post. Further such posts will result in more than a simple formal warning and you may find your posting rights restricted until you can be polite.

Insulting, baiting and inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.

Looks like the middle and middle upper class of Bangkok are not so in love with the Yellows.

Yes, they do not like the Reds but they do not like the Yellows either as we can see by them simply watching the yellows fold into nothing in the planned march of the millions which turned into the march of a few thousand here or there.

How do you do a coup when no one backs you?

AND--if no one backs you and you do the coup anyway, how do you control a place like Thailand which is fairly uncontrollable to begin with?

If the election is held in Feb as planned, the pressure from the internationsal community of nations to except the election results will be very very strong. The argument that we yellows and Dems boycotted so the election is no good will not be very strong when it is apparent that the Yellows and the Dems did not even want any election. We can all be sure that if they thought they would win that the Dems would not be boycotting.

Like a little child who quits the game when losing, the Dem party ran home to mother crying.

Please do a coup mama. Do a coup WAH WAH WAH. Nobody like us.

Just do it papa and mama. I promise I will be a good boy this time and not steal too much or kill too many.

But son---the world is watching and we are not in the mood to look stupid.

I will hold my breath mama.

Bad boy--go to your room and no more drugs and whisky for you.

• Like 2

waza

So that means Thaksin is manipulating his sister with unsubstantiated threats of imprisonment if she doesn't do what he says and remains in the caretaker PM position, even though it is against her will. What a great and thoughtful brother he is.

The reality is Thaksin doesn't want Yingluck to resign because he will loose control of the government and that leaves them open to a uncontrolled investigation of their corrupt practices. This would obviously lead to charges for most of the PTP members and maybe prison sentences. No wonder the blanket amnesty bill is so important for this administration, Yingluck must stay in her role, win the election and push through the blanket amnesty bill then she is free to resign.

Yes.

Very shrewd and accurate analysis! I think you're spot on. Needs her in power on the day the amnesty bill comes back to parliament so she can push it through and any form of independent forensic audit would be a disaster for PTP.

If he ever gets back here, physically in control, watch her being dumped, along with a few others who will also be past their 'sell by date". Hope he's not being learning new tricks from the NK dictator on removing unwanted family members!

Too far out to be sarkasm?

Looks like the middle and middle upper class of Bangkok are not so in love with the Yellows.

Yes, they do not like the Reds but they do not like the Yellows either as we can see by them simply watching the yellows fold into nothing in the planned march of the millions which turned into the march of a few thousand here or there.

How do you do a coup when no one backs you?

AND--if no one backs you and you do the coup anyway, how do you control a place like Thailand which is fairly uncontrollable to begin with?

If the election is held in Feb as planned, the pressure from the internationsal community of nations to except the election results will be very very strong. The argument that we yellows and Dems boycotted so the election is no good will not be very strong when it is apparent that the Yellows and the Dems did not even want any election. We can all be sure that if they thought they would win that the Dems would not be boycotting.

Like a little child who quits the game when losing, the Dem party ran home to mother crying.

Please do a coup mama. Do a coup WAH WAH WAH. Nobody like us.

Just do it papa and mama. I promise I will be a good boy this time and not steal too much or kill too many.

But son---the world is watching and we are not in the mood to look stupid.

I will hold my breath mama.

Bad boy--go to your room and no more drugs and whisky for you.

They're still blocking a few major intersections. And the government don't seem to want to do anything about it.

I personally don't see a whole lot wrong about Yingluck talking to her brother for advice. I'm sure George W Bush sought advice from his dad (not to mention other family members), that Hilary Clinton seeks advice from Bill, that Singapore PM Lee Hsieng Loon seeks advice from Lee Kwan Yew, etc etc etc. I just don't understand why they 'advertise' it like this, as it just feeds the perception that Yingluck is a puppet/mouthpiece for Thaksin [which she very well may be]. Total lack of political savvy. Or is it that PTP supporters find comfort in Thaksin's involvement?

Except for the fact he's a convicted criminal on the run?

I thought he'd been convicted in absentia, without a defence being mounted, within a highly politicised legal system, during the tenure of an unelected government that seized power through illegal means. Thanks for clearing that up....

Sounds like someone got the Redshirt Guide to Politics in their Christmas stocking this year!

Isn't Thaksin so lucky to have such a sensitive little flower as Yingluck on whom to exercise his bull$hit. The masses are in desperate need of the emergence of an inspirational non-venal saviour to rescue them from their mortal addiction to this despicable character.

Isn't Thaksin so lucky to have such a sensitive little flower as Yingluck on whom to exercise his bull$hit. The masses are in desperate need of the emergence of an inspirational non-venal saviour to rescue them from their mortal addiction to this despicable character.

True, but as the Thai masses look high and low for their "non-venal savior" all they can see are other Thais.

I personally don't see a whole lot wrong about Yingluck talking to her brother for advice. I'm sure George W Bush sought advice from his dad (not to mention other family members), that Hilary Clinton seeks advice from Bill, that Singapore PM Lee Hsieng Loon seeks advice from Lee Kwan Yew, etc etc etc. I just don't understand why they 'advertise' it like this, as it just feeds the perception that Yingluck is a puppet/mouthpiece for Thaksin [which she very well may be]. Total lack of political savvy. Or is it that PTP supporters find comfort in Thaksin's involvement?

I thought he'd been convicted in absentia, without a defence being mounted, within a highly politicised legal system, during the tenure of an unelected government that seized power through illegal means. Thanks for clearing that up....

No defense being mounted? Would that include the bribery box for the judges to swing the decision?

No defense being mounted? Would that include the bribery box for the judges to swing the decision?

You mean the alleged bribery box, right?

• Like 1

Sounds like someone got the Redshirt Guide to Politics in their Christmas stocking this year!

Sure, because the whole world isn't yellow.

Now I've never said here or in other threads that Thaksin is was 'clean'... I don't think he was. But I doubt that any of the other 'boys in the game' are clean either. Except this court went after Thaksin following on a coup and one has to wonder about the political dynamics involved. Even so, it was a split 5-4 decision, which raises questions about the real strength of the case.

OMG are you serious, it is not a crime for the PM to talk to her brother, it is not a crime for Thaksin to encourage his sister to resist the fascist who want to turn this country into a dictatorship, it is not a crime for her to call her brother and ask for advise, on any issue, he doesn't have any authority but he can be influential. I love they way you say the law should be 'modernized' you call that modern? It's modern to abolish freedom of speech, the PM cannot talk to her brother and all her communications should be monitored in case she commits this crime.

What authority does this man have from a legal standpoint on this situation?

Could this article (if taken from statements directly from her and also possibly from the brawler himself) be an admission of associating with and acting on behalf for the benefit of a known fugitive?

If Thai law does not cover this kind of activity then perhaps it is time Thai law was modernised into the digital era to reflect this type of crime. This goes not only for dialogue between PTP and Thaksin but all other fugitives of the Kingdom - he is not the first and will not be the last unless the law is changed.

Strangely most civilized democratic countries do have laws that prohibit aiding and abetting known criminal fugitives. For someone in a position of authority to openly cavort with, and admit to taking advice from, a convicted criminal who faces additional charges should he return without a whitewash, is very lamentable,

The fact he is her brother is immaterial. He his a convicted criminal fugitive and she is supposedly the caretaker PM/DM. Can you not see the conflict of interests and the issues here?

Maybe that's why she illegally issued a new passport to him to, via her cousin the Foreign Minister. PTP don't respect the letter or spirit of the law.

• Like 1

You mean the alleged bribery box, right?

After the subsequent court case and conviction for attempted bribery, it is no longer alleged.

That would the charged convicted and punished attempted bribery. You really need to do some research sirineou, your knowledge of Thai history is very perverted...........

The three lawyers of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra were released from the Bangkok Special Prison after having served six-month jail term for contempt of court over the controversial Bt2 million bribery pastry box..........On June 10, the three found guilty of contempt of court for trying to bribe ML Thitipong Chompoonuch, a legal officer at the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions, and his colleagues by handing the paper bag containing the snack box stuffed with some Bt2 million in cash.

The lawyers represented Thaksin and then his wife Pojaman Shinawatra in the trial, in which the ex-premier is accused of abusing power while in office for a sweetheart deal with the government involving the purchase of the 33-rai of land on Ratchadapisek Road. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/22/politics/politics_30091584.php

Sure, because the whole world isn't yellow.

Now I've never said here or in other threads that Thaksin is was 'clean'... I don't think he was. But I doubt that any of the other 'boys in the game' are clean either. Except this court went after Thaksin following on a coup and one has to wonder about the political dynamics involved. Even so, it was a split 5-4 decision, which raises questions about the real strength of the case.

Let's not forget Thaksin's manipulation of and refusal to follow the laws were the main reasons for the coup that ousted him. Same thing is happening today.

• Like 1