Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay' as Prayuth demurs

webfact

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Thaksin is not aware of the true picture in Thailand. Don't forget that he is being served by yes-men who tell him what he wants to hear, and reading the foreign press which for the most part is putting a different spin on what is happening to the local press. So perhaps he is not being mean to his little sister (if you can believe that you can believe anything) but really believes that an election is possible on 2 February.

Thaksin should not be in the picture, Our PM is wrong in keeping him there and will have to answer that on judgment day.

I don't disagree and have said so before. However, while he should not be in the picture at all, you cannot deny that he is pulling the strings and in this regard his possibly being out of touch with reality could have serious implications.

• Like 1

Perhaps Thaksin is not aware of the true picture in Thailand. Don't forget that he is being served by yes-men who tell him what he wants to hear, and reading the foreign press which for the most part is putting a different spin on what is happening to the local press. So perhaps he is not being mean to his little sister (if you can believe that you can believe anything) but really believes that an election is possible on 2 February.

Thaksin should not be in the picture, Our PM is wrong in keeping him there and will have to answer that on judgment day.

I wonder if 'judgment day' could be tomorrow the 15th of Jan, the day the government

has promised to pay the farmers who haven't been paid for 4 or 5 months?

• Like 1

Many a brave "Nation" fact finders today so no wonder they ever have consulted their eldest brother!

With all due respect, and I'm aware that English is not your first language and I have no Norwegian skill, but what did you mean?

What authority does this man have from a legal standpoint on this situation?

Could this article (if taken from statements directly from her and also possibly from the brawler himself) be an admission of associating with and acting on behalf for the benefit of a known fugitive?

If Thai law does not cover this kind of activity then perhaps it is time Thai law was modernised into the digital era to reflect this type of crime. This goes not only for dialogue between PTP and Thaksin but all other fugitives of the Kingdom - he is not the first and will not be the last unless the law is changed.

What man and what activity are you talking about? You appear to be saying that Thaksin should not be allowed to talk to his sister on the phone.

As far as the article goes. How do we know that this particular conversation took place? Is someone listening in on their phone conversations? Or is it just a viscious rumour being circulated to undermine her position?

By bringing Thaksin into the equation it gives Suthep more ammunition to throw at PTP.

I am very suspicious of this type of reporting. Unless Yingluck of her brother admits that this conversation took place we have no legitimate proof that any of it is true.

• Like 1

I don't disagree and have said so before. However, while he should not be in the picture at all, you cannot deny that he is pulling the strings and in this regard his possibly being out of touch with reality could have serious implications.

Yes still pulling the strings, but I believe his life is to control and he would not fall behind with reality here.

If the PM is doing everything her brother tells her to do, surely with any brain she will be aware of the sad consequences when she is summand to answer to her governments actions, he is SAFE he is not here and will not be here. She will have to face it then without him.

Sure if I was her I would do as most Thai drivers do at the scene of an accident---FLEE the scene.

... "and talked via Skype with Thaksin, who said the Constitution did not allow her to resign"... "She would face a jail term, he warned."

This is hilarious. A fugitive criminal instructing the caretaker PM not to step down. Not even Monty Python could come up with comedy like this.

Well, Thaksin is Yingluck brother, right?

Just from the beginning, Thaksin for sure was the one who convinced Yingluck to run for PM. Now Yingluck is in the trouble, it is only rational to advise her on what to do.

Could this article (if taken from statements directly from her and also possibly from the brawler himself) be an admission of associating with and acting on behalf for the benefit of a known fugitive?

If Thai law does not cover this kind of activity then perhaps it is time Thai law was modernised into the digital era to reflect this type of crime. This goes not only for dialogue between PTP and Thaksin but all other fugitives of the Kingdom - he is not the first and will not be the last unless the law is changed.

I am far from an authoritarian on political powers, but I get tired of hearing foreigners call Thaskin a “Fugitive “. They talk like if they have all the facts and we know we none of us do. In fact it's a given that you only hear what they want you to hear. So listening to either side is only 25% of the truth which means "his side" “their side" and then the otherside holding 50% that equals the truth.

I do remember listening to some of his policy changes and thinking that this will be the end of his career as a politician, that they will event something to make him an outlaw so they can remove him from office. Now I don't know for a fact that this is what happened but my best guess would be to just stay out of any discussion surrounding it. ( I know! I know! I should of listened to my own advice and not commented )

But I really get tired of self proclaimed political "anal -est" taking either side. If Thailand wants to call him a fugitive then let them, but for us to do it is purely speculating with regards to the actual facts and the procedure in which it was executed and does nothing for the truth which will eventually come out or be forgiven. None of what I said means he is not guilty either, it just means that most of us come from a country where we are or do believe that people are not guilty until they’ve had their day in court or " due process" if there is such a thing.

We know from past experience with high profile people here that one day they are convicted of something and the next day they become a government official so why join in on the band wagon. Let the Thai’s publish their opinion while we watch without prejudice. Ok, Ok, you can have all the prejudice you want, but just don't publish until you have the facts from both sides. coffee1.gif

It's all about him. Not sure how true this story is, but history will record two crucial moments in this protracted crisis where the path of peace was spurned for the path of 'stand and fight' because a phone call came in from Dubai. The blood is on his hands.

Unless Thaksin or his sister come out and substantiate this story we have absolutely no legitimate evidence that there is any substance to the story. The Nation needs to explain how it came to have this information. Phone tapping, eves dropping or did Yingluck give the editor a call and spill the beans.

You have explained why this story was concocted, to place responsibility on Yingluck and her brother.

There is no substance to this story whatsoever. Whom ever conspired or allowed it to be published risks having blood on their hands until the end of time. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

What man and what activity are you talking about? You appear to be saying that Thaksin should not be allowed to talk to his sister on the phone.

As far as the article goes. How do we know that this particular conversation took place? Is someone listening in on their phone conversations? Or is it just a viscious rumour being circulated to undermine her position?

By bringing Thaksin into the equation it gives Suthep more ammunition to throw at PTP.

I am very suspicious of this type of reporting. Unless Yingluck of her brother admits that this conversation took place we have no legitimate proof that any of it is true.

You won't accept an unknown source, but the word of a known perjurer or a convicted corrupt politician would be OK?

• Like 1

yes, amnesty for all, including Thaksin, Suteph, Abhisit That is my position...has been for weeks

Amnesty is an interesting idea. It has certainly worked well in other conflicts: South Africa, N Ireland, and others before those. But as I understand it, it might work best when a conflict has got into an even more intense phase than exists (yet) in Thailand -- i.e. actual warfare -- and total disaster looms. As it stands, the body count is still quite low and the Bangkok elite still think they can win through other means. These elites are even now quite wedded to the 'old Thailand' of patronage and deference, which has come into sharp conflict with a new world of democracy and 'one man one vote'. i.e. the problems are structural and not due to any one man or men. Thaksin and Suthep are scapegoats, but the real problems lie deeper.

Someone on the forum suggested a way forward might be the breakup of Thailand. That seems highly unlikely, but a more feasible strategy could be that suggested by David Streckfuss in the Bangkok Post a couple of weeks ago: a decrease of centralisation. A more regionally-administered Thailand might help to defuse the conflict and let the north/east have their Thaksinomics and other parts have their preferred systems. I'm no expert, just suggesting that people might like to think of other options than blind hatred - hatred that can lead to war. The Steckfuss piece is worth reading: "Devolve state powers to stave off civil war" Bangkok Post 3 Jan 2014.

• Like 1

Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay' as Prayuth demurs
Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay'

Therein the above abridged quote is the root of all the current problems and the anti government protests. 5 words that in reality completely demonstrate without a doubt who or rather what is ruining Thailand.

This current situation has been caused by one creature so as to establish a new ruling political dynasty (Dictatorship) nothing more nothing less.

A dynasty (Dictatorship fueled by corruption, nepotism, manipulation of the judiciary and the legal system along with the death of what passes for democracy here in Thailand at this moment in time.

Indeed the good General Prayuth is a wise man.

Yet again the Thaksin clan try to involve the military and yet again the military avoid the ensnaring trap.

As has been stated elsewhere tomorrow should be ''payday'' for the farmers i n the rice pledging scam scheme,

Can the promise to pay be honoured one is inclined to ask?

The Thaksin prayer to have the military step in would indeed be ''manna from heaven,'' as then there is or would be a legitimate excuse not to honour those debts to the rice producers as the Thaksin puppets would be out of the game.

The swell of the waters of deceit and corruption that Thaksin has been busily stirring up as the Thaksin Thaitanic cruised through the sea of corruption is about to overwhelm him and his puppets,

A political life belt is missing due to the military staying out of the rescue mission for the crew of the Thaksin Thaitanic

Political seppuku is the result of those devious actions

I personally don't see a whole lot wrong about Yingluck talking to her brother for advice. I'm sure George W Bush sought advice from his dad (not to mention other family members), that Hilary Clinton seeks advice from Bill, that Singapore PM Lee Hsieng Loon seeks advice from Lee Kwan Yew, etc etc etc. I just don't understand why they 'advertise' it like this, as it just feeds the perception that Yingluck is a puppet/mouthpiece for Thaksin [which she very well may be]. Total lack of political savvy. Or is it that PTP supporters find comfort in Thaksin's involvement?

Yes well normally that would be ok and par for the course, but the fact still remains that Thaksin is on the run from a Custodial Sentence and such, communicating with him on any medium could be construed as "aiding and abetting"...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

It's all about him. Not sure how true this story is, but history will record two crucial moments in this protracted crisis where the path of peace was spurned for the path of 'stand and fight' because a phone call came in from Dubai. The blood is on his hands.

Unless Thaksin or his sister come out and substantiate this story we have absolutely no legitimate evidence that there is any substance to the story. The Nation needs to explain how it came to have this information. Phone tapping, eves dropping or did Yingluck give the editor a call and spill the beans.

You have explained why this story was concocted, to place responsibility on Yingluck and her brother.

There is no substance to this story whatsoever. Whom ever conspired or allowed it to be published risks having blood on their hands until the end of time. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

The golf caddy regularly says he's advising his sister. As such this story is not unbelievable.

"... If she did resign, the protesters would ask the court to rule that she had violated the Penal Code's Article 157, which punishes officials who abandon their duty. She would face a jail term ..." Technically, an official is a civil servant, not an MP, and as caretaker PM, I doubt she counts either as a civil servant, or as liable under the Penal Code in the same way. Always assuming Thaksin's interpretation is accurate.

But then, if she were to resign, what would the country get? A 'People's Council'? An appointed caretaker PM? A free-for-all? Better she stays and sees it through.

• Like 1

I feel it is more likely that this article is pure propaganda. It reads as if it was written in crayon by a 9 year old on a rice krispies box ...... she was about to cave in but Skype told her she would go to jail .... yar, sure Nation.

She is on the way to join him in Dubai sooner than you know, and then finally she can play golf with her brother and listen to his advice what clubs to use (maybe he is a better caddy than political adviser)

• Like 1

What man and what activity are you talking about?

are you aware of who Thaksin is and what he has done to be living anywhere other than Thailand, his influence over the political situation. IF you did then you might understand that he is the root cause of the problem, and the man should have no place to be able to dictate policy.

So while it may be suspicious there is a more than 99.99999999999999999% chance that it is true.

In fact I read in the other paper that the general advised her to resign. And if I'm not mistaken this is a rehash of a story from last week.

Thaksin's own confessed view of his sister as PM, even if the description was not wholly accurate, was that she was his clone. Hardly a leap of the imagination to see who continues to pull the strings - even remotely.

Considering how awful the Thai media is, how often lies are disseminated for propaganda purposes well, one needs to look closely at the article.

Who is making the claims in the article ? What is their name ?

Or is it just "source" ?

One major reform needed worldwide with the media is reform on the un-named source articles. Most of which are total lies based around a source who is in fact someone who knows nothing or is deliberately spreading false lies.

So, let me read the article.

Aha......... no name, just a "source", which to me says the article is in my opinion, a total bunch of lies. And I am freely entitled to express that opinion.

I am far from an authoritarian on political powers, but I get tired of hearing foreigners call Thaskin a “Fugitive “. They talk like if they have all the facts and we know we none of us do. In fact it's a given that you only hear what they want you to hear. So listening to either side is only 25% of the truth which means "his side" “their side" and then the otherside holding 50% that equals the truth.

I do remember listening to some of his policy changes and thinking that this will be the end of his career as a politician, that they will event something to make him an outlaw so they can remove him from office. Now I don't know for a fact that this is what happened but my best guess would be to just stay out of any discussion surrounding it. ( I know! I know! I should of listened to my own advice and not commented )

But I really get tired of self proclaimed political "anal -est" taking either side. If Thailand wants to call him a fugitive then let them, but for us to do it is purely speculating with regards to the actual facts and the procedure in which it was executed and does nothing for the truth which will eventually come out or be forgiven. None of what I said means he is not guilty either, it just means that most of us come from a country where we are or do believe that people are not guilty until they’ve had their day in court or " due process" if there is such a thing.

We know from past experience with high profile people here that one day they are convicted of something and the next day they become a government official so why join in on the band wagon. Let the Thai’s publish their opinion while we watch without prejudice. Ok, Ok, you can have all the prejudice you want, but just don't publish until you have the facts from both sides. coffee1.gif

Fair to assume that for numerous foreign residents who have lived in Thailand for many years, they do have a reasonable grasp of the issues and, as taxpayers, are quite entitled to express their opinions. And Thaksin had his day in court, in absentia, and was found guilty. Or did you miss that?

And I think you mean authority, not authoritiarian - though perhaps that applies, too.

This is the reason the protesters are calling for reform before elections. This charade that Ms. Yingluck is the true PM and is leading the government has got to stop.

• Like 2