Cant eat chili, not a fan of rice, anyone else?

lmfao

I'm not a great fan of rice either although I do eat it sometimes. I have also been advised recently by doctor to avoid eating spicey foods (stomach ulcer). And I don't have a kitchen.

My answer was to buy an electric frypan (Tesco under B500). I can do all sorts of things with it from fryups to casseroles. Just had a delicious pork 'n' liver hotpot and of course the pork here is so much better than at home. On top of that there are plenty of food outlets that have non-spicey on the menu as well as Irish bars that do excellent full English breakfast's.

But unfortunately I know nowhere and my frypan can't make a lovely spotted dick with melted butter and loads of sugar, or a sticky toffee pud, or an apple dumpling...aahhh

990bht in most supermarkets.attachicon.gif0000000007_1.jpgYou can cook your spotted Dick, bread, cakes, roasts.

I bought a Zanussi (think that's how it's spelled) oven about 4 years ago. It's only got 3 gas rings on top but is definitely my top buy here in Thailand. Nice to have a bake or roast when the rice or noodles start to bore.

• Like 1

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a great fan of rice either although I do eat it sometimes. I have also been advised recently by doctor to avoid eating spicey foods (stomach ulcer). And I don't have a kitchen.

My answer was to buy an electric frypan (Tesco under B500). I can do all sorts of things with it from fryups to casseroles. Just had a delicious pork 'n' liver hotpot and of course the pork here is so much better than at home. On top of that there are plenty of food outlets that have non-spicey on the menu as well as Irish bars that do excellent full English breakfast's.

But unfortunately I know nowhere and my frypan can't make a lovely spotted dick with melted butter and loads of sugar, or a sticky toffee pud, or an apple dumpling...aahhh

990bht in most supermarkets.attachicon.gif0000000007_1.jpgYou can cook your spotted Dick, bread, cakes, roasts.

looks like a good buy, nothing like a good roast, now that's something I can work with cheers... haha spotted dick lol

All the suggestions about getting a couple of electric cooking things are spot on. In my tiny kitchen, I use my toaster oven for lots of stuff, grilled fish and chicken, baked potatoes, enchiladas and burritos, tuna melts etc. Use the steamer on a rice cooker for steamed veggies of all sorts. Another food idea is to buy the grilled chicken on a stick and make chicken Caesar salads. Add a hot plate and skies the limit. Also another excuse to increase fruit and raw veggie consumption as a lot of us could use the boost.

Khai jiew (thai style omelet) you can order at many diff places - check in some food courts, sometimes you can pick what you want in the omelet

paht (pad, pat, whatever) means stir fried --(like pad thai)

so some noodle dishes that aren't spicy: ( i just try to spell them how i feel they're pronounced)

paht thai = you should know by now - thai noodle with tamarind sauce + peanuts etc

paht see ew = typically broad flat noodle(sen yai) sometimes made with sen mee with green veg/egg/double black soy sauce

laht na= gravy noodle (mee gkrob laht na is my fav)

hoi tod = fried mussels (i usually refer to this as mussel pancake)

mee gkrob= crispy noodle

bahmee=egg noodle

woon sen= glass noodle

sen lek= the noodle like they use in pad thai

sen yai= the big flat noodle

sen mee=the smallest rice noodle that is around the same size as woonsen

you can also try ordering the thai macaroni (7/11 has a version in their freezer section meals so i'm sure u have probably tried it by now) - tastes much better when you get it from somewhere else

helpful words

pukk= veggies

gai= chicken

moo= pork which u must know already

nuea= beef (also means something like using the word meat)

goong= shrimp

pla=fish

tod=fried

gkrob=crispy

mai sai = without

I have to admit I do like the pad - Thai dish without chilies lol cheers going to Thai language school next week so ill be top of the class with Thai words for Thai food lol Isn't it Ironic lol

• Like 1

rather a baffling conundrum. in my extensive travels i have rarely found myself in a location where the kitchen staff were unable to obtain the makings of a satisfying meal based on my cultural tastes. perhaps you need a more imaginative chef who can work within the constraints of local availability to provide suitable regalement

Exactly, there are plenty of good veggies, fruit, fish, chicken, and pork at all local markets and the Western foods stores offer many Western foods, why are you in such "a baffling cunundrum'?

Are you really that helpless and unimaginative? There are many Thai dishes made without chilies and rice. Learn them ... and learn how to request dishes without chilies. There are many great suggestions here on how you can cook without a kitchen per se (i.e., electric fry pan and other type cookers).

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

I remember my Bachelor days back in the old country, There have been many good suggestions, A fry pan, Toaster, Crock pot, All kinds of little ovens and cookers Small micro-wave, a refrigerator or an ice-hest in which to keep cold cuts, for sandwiches. My favorite was my crock pot, throw something in at morning time, dinner ready at days end.

As stated earlier McDonald's food will lead you to an early grave, my brother did not like to cook so he paid a Thai lady to cook all of his meals for him.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Good Luck

Dude you are in the wrong place. I love rice and chilies. Eat lots in Canada and Thailand. I hope you can

find a solution. Chicken with cashew nut is a not so spicy local dish that I recommend to my friends that visit

and don't like the heat. Chicken/shrimp Pad Thai as well. Best of luck sorting out a menu. thumbsup.gif

They can always google translate spotted dick into something more palatable to them.wink.png

or you could just show them what a spotted dick is...rolleyes.gif

Sticky toffee pudding better than spotted dick anyday. My mouth waters at the thought of that brown sticky gunge coating my tongue.

It's a close call indeed, but I'd probably have a spotted dick, after my toad in the hole.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

I'm very sorry for you but if you are going to live in this country you have to at learn to eat rice. I have almost stopped eating chili for the same reason as you. However there are many foods especially Muslim that are just great, please try sometime.

It's a ridiculous thread. Grow up and learn to take care of yourself <deleted>. With the internet I'm sure you can find all kinds of recipes and options. 3-4k baht will get you a grill, hot top, toaster and maybe even a small oven. I'm pretty damn sure you can make whatever you like with those. Personally I like Thai food, but not all the time. Just like I don't like Indian, Japanese, Korean, American, British, Vietnamese, Mexican or any other type of cuisine all the time. Variety is the spice of life and with the 3-4k to buy the above cooking tools and Google you can eat like a king anytime. You don't nee McD's, Pizza Company or any other fast food crap once you learn to cook for yourself. It isn't rocket science dude. Is the aforementioned Anthony Bourdain a genius? No he isn't. He's a former heroin addict and he learned to cook. You can do so as well.

• Like 1

A small induction cooker and a small oven, some pot and pans, are cheap and easy to operate. The local market provides all you need to make healthy foreign food.

If you can't do it ask your wife or girlfriend to watch foodtravel.tv and you all set!

If this doesn't work you better go home!

I'm very sorry for you but if you are going to live in this country you have to at learn to eat rice. I have almost stopped eating chili for the same reason as you. However there are many foods especially Muslim that are just great, please try sometime.

Why is it mandatory?

I'm just amazed. Posters here for long periods of time and knowing so little about Thai food. Not liking rice? My god how many kinds of rice are there. I eat 5 different kinds every week. I can name 20 and I buy 5 or 6 different ones and have one shipped EMS from another part of Thailand. There are good Thai restaurants and cheap Thai restaurants. There is spicy Thai food and not spicy Thai food. Saying you don't like Thai food is like saying you don't like food.

• Like 1

Dude you are in the wrong place. I love rice and chilies. Eat lots in Canada and Thailand. I hope you can

find a solution. Chicken with cashew nut is a not so spicy local dish that I recommend to my friends that visit

and don't like the heat. Chicken/shrimp Pad Thai as well. Best of luck sorting out a menu. thumbsup.gif

"Dude you are in the wrong place" lol

Maybe your right, sometimes I also think that, Anyways I going to give Thailand another year and take it from there, Seen as the economy in my country is starting to pick up.. who knows I have also been thinking of Canada as a good destination, How long have you been in Thailand and Do you go back to Canada much? How is Canada as a place to live?

Sorry I know I have gone off Topic people.....

If you really cannot stand eating rice then you need some decent bread. The usual stuff sold here is not really filling. Buy yourself a breadmaker a and even without a kitchen you can easily produce really tasty and healthy bread. Just add water salt sugar yeast flour and either butter or cooking oil...... 4 hours later you are ready to eat.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

chillies can't make you ill. this is just quasi thai doctor talk.

"you work too hard"

"you head get wet in rain"

"you no brush you teeth"

"you worry too much"

"farang no can in thai sun hot very hot"

"thai food spicy and salt no can you blood farang"

That maybe true, but really after I stopped eating chilies my health returned.

How was your health affected?

How were you eating them? Who was preparing the food?

Eating chillies has been show to be very beneficial to health so you might want to gradually try getting used to them

http://www.sundaynews.co.zw/index.php?option=com_content&id=28605:health-benefits-of-eating-chillies&Itemid=140#.UtUiEJAW0X4

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/eat-well/healthy-eating/why-spicy-food-is-good-for-you

and many many more articles if you care to look

the role of cooking is normally assigned to the female, so if at all possible you should require a female to perform this task. if a female is unavailable it would be acceptable to cook for yourself

<deleted>? You do realize that the role of advanced cooking is mostly a male role right? How many female chefs are there?

it is important to eat local foods if possible when staying in a foreign land. this provides support for the local farmers. for example if visitors to thailand eat western food instead of rice, the rice farmers will lose income. this may result in less planting of rice trees and loss of the other benefits they provide to the environment (shade etc)

• Like 1