Baby chewing on a HDMI cable...

krisb

A lot of Class-2 AV kit seems to float its metalwork at 1/2 mains and will give a tickle, it's not supposed to, but that's not the issue.

So yes, your young lady may well have gotten a mouthful of something unpleasant if she'd got through the insulation to the metallic cable screen. As to whether it would be harmful, who knows, there are many variables but a wet mouth is going to make good contact and young children are more susceptible to electric shock..

Pretty much the same with a phone charger.

Best to keep anything like that out of reach, you wouldn't be asking the same question if she'd been munching on the flex of your table lamp!

• Like 1

as a parent albeit children much older now we all learn by our mistakes and experience the main thing to remember is to risk assess every last item that your child has access to so as to MINIMIZE THE RISK OF ACCIDENTS as-to your main question the baby i take it has suffered no more than a light advisory scolding also i believe that there is a small charge in all these ancillary cables caution to all

Today she managed to rip out the hdmi from a foxtel type box and had a little snack on it. No shock but I assumed since it's plugged into an electrical type point, a shock is certainly possible. She has previously chomped on the phone charger before so figured since I am asking 1 question, may as well throw another in with it. wai.gif

and yes we have a circuit breaker setup.thumbsup.gif

Even with a 30mA RCD you really need to stop the little mite on munching on these things, one day she'll try it with an IEC (kettle) plug sad.png

The 30-30-30 rule (30V-30mA-30ms) as permissible shock levels were chosen as non-lethal to healthy adults, the very young, elderly or infirm may be seriously affected.

• Like 1

HDMI cable provides 5v DC and not likely to harm even a baby (and won't trip an RCD b/c there is no fault in the AC supply). A phone charger is plugged into 220v AC and likely fatal to a baby bite breaking the insulation. In any case, babies should not even have the opportunity to get anywhere close to electrics of any kind!!

• Like 2

HDMI cable provides 5v DC and not likely to harm even a baby (and won't trip an RCD b/c there is no fault in the AC supply). A phone charger is plugged into 220v AC and likely fatal to a baby bite breaking the insulation. In any case, babies should not even have the opportunity to get anywhere close to electrics of any kind!!

Thanks and yes I am aware of baby proofing the house and we are vigilant but there is always something new she manages to find.

The issue is not the signal level of the HDMI or other AV cables which are all very low (less than 5V), but, as I noted in my first post, the fact that an awful lot of AV, even that which is supposedly Class-2, floats the chassis at around 1/2 mains. It's enough to give me an alarming shock, in the mouth of a young child who really knows.

A single point ground on your AV system would be a really good idea, but watch for hummmmmmm.

I appreciate all the helpful answers.

Those here that know us would tell you we are very good parents, but no matter how much baby proofing you do they manage to find something you didn't think about. The phone charger was plugged into a socket at kitchen bench height, but the cable was knocked and hanging down. The hdmi cable she dragged the cable tv box out of the cabinet and somehow unplugged it.

Here's a good tip and my do it now not tomorrow project, bolt the 60kg big screen down to the tv cabinet so that doesn't squish her. Not that uncommon so I hear.

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate all the helpful answers.

Those here that know us would tell you we are very good parents, but no matter how much baby proofing you do they manage to find something you didn't think about. The phone charger was plugged into a socket at kitchen bench height, but the cable was knocked and hanging down. The hdmi cable she dragged the cable tv box out of the cabinet and somehow unplugged it.

Here's a good tip and my do it now not tomorrow project, bolt the 60kg big screen down to the tv cabinet so that doesn't squish her. Not that uncommon so I hear.

Most big TV installation manuals I've looked at show a tether from the top of the TV back to the wall / back of cabinet for that very purpose. Or as you say if wall / cabinet not an option - screw it down to the table / stand.

• 3 months later...

OP,

Those who never had young kids, could never understand....

Just make sure any device is earthed...

The HDMI cable will not harm her, if it shocks her then she might be wiser after.. same goes for the charger...

But if she grows teeth... then all cables in the house are putting you in danger....

Kids are smarter then we can imagine... whatever trick you try, they'll outsmart you ;-)

Thats what makes them so lovable...

If you have and earth trip switch, preferable an adjustable, lower the trip-level as low that if you look at the cable it will trip ;-)

Isn't it the "amperage" you worry about more than the "voltage"? Both the HMDI and phone charger have very low amps.

Tip for baby proofing. Get down on your knees at the babies level. Any thing you see at your eye level is fair game for a baby. So raise everything up above that level you don't want the kid to get into. Gotta do that up until the time they learn what not to touch. And that could be until adulthood!

You do not want your cables destroyed. A little firm slap on the back of the hand hand and a severe NO may scare her off this habit. She may cry a little but it is because you scared her. More importantly, it will tell her you mean business and in the future he/she will mind your verbal directions. After a few slaps of the hand without actually injuring the child will eventually be supplanted with, " NO DO NOT TOUCH THAT", for any dangers or possessions.

This is very effective and worked well with my children.

Thanks and yes I am aware of baby proofing the house and we are vigilant but there is always something new she manages to find.

cant be all that vigilant its not an issue i had when my child was baby, clean up your cords, get a play pen, watch your child. perhaps be more than "aware" of child proofing. this isnt a one off it is happening daily.

Perhaps put her in a cot with a plastic teething ring?

Of course you generally need to keep her away from electric cables..... the examples you cite are not the most dangerous, HDMI does not carry any high levels and normally a phone charger the high voltage is only near the mains plug end in the block and the cable carries low levels...BUT... there are going to be other electrical cables that carry mains up to the device and she may start to gnaw on those! Quite dangerous.....if she has teeth.

Try to find something safe for her to chew......have a run around checking all the cables she can get to and see if you can wrap them in that plastic coiled stuff or move them out of the way, and keep one eye cocked.

Edited by jacko45k

...as a parent....you are supposed to be watching your children.....let her chomp into the wire....she'll understand real quick....

It's the school of hard knocks.....sometimes the best education for children