Erwan Waterfall

DeDanan

The Erawan National Park is about 65 km's North East of Kanchanburi on Highway 3199.

More information on both the National Park and the beautiful 7-tiered waterfalls can be found here.

It'd be a great day trip, but there's so many other things to do in Kanchaburi that I'd recommend a whole weekend or more.

There's plenty of guesthouses, hotels, and resorts to stay at overnight, and you can even sleep on a barge on the River Kwai if you want.

An even more spectacular set of waterfall is the Huay Mae Khamin falls, which is about another 60 km's past the Erawan National Park. You have to catch a car ferry over the lake to get to them though... but it's worth it... they are truly spectacular.

Kanchanburi is a very beautiful and scenic province.

That would be one hel_l of a long day... you really need at least three to four hours at the waterfall to make the trip there worthwhile as there's a lot of nothing in between getting there and going to the town, as well as there being a long walk between tier of the waterfall... but it's worth it, and don't be afraid of the lil fishies that come to suck your skin as you get into the water :o

Getting to the waterfall cheap is a bit of a challenge ... but there is a non-ac bus that runs from Kan to the National Park ... used to be 26 baht

there are tours from every travel agency in town .... before we had the car we did one from Apple Guesthouse (great food there!) that did the waterfall and an elephant ride and an hour on a bamboo raft/swimming and a ride on the Train ... and the Temple with Tigers ... very full day! but FUN!

We head out to Kan about once every 2 months ... (last trip was Songkran) ... it is one of my fave places in Thailand

That would be one hel_l of a long day... you really need at least three to four hours at the waterfall to make the trip there worthwhile as there's a lot of nothing in between getting there and going to the town, as well as there being a long walk between tier of the waterfall... but it's worth it, and don't be afraid of the lil fishies that come to suck your skin as you get into the water :o

Erawan falls are a must do.Only went there this year for the first time and was well worth the trip.

As for the lil fishes some go well over a foot long.Luckily its only the relatively small ones that 'mouth' the surface of your skin.This is if I remember tier 4 or 5.Just before the closed off top tiers that have no food and drink past this point(they operate a deposit system to ensure you bring your rubbish back)Its quite a hike to the top and bring your swimming gear.Top tiers close early 3.00pm I think.

I would like to make the trip to these falls but I would have a load of kids (6 - 12 y.o.) with me plus adults. What is the road like and are there facilities along the way? Is a tour bus from Kan the best option? The prospect of 3 - 4 hours on a mountain track is not appealing.

Please advise.

Self drive is the best way ... if you don't have wheels then maybe you can hire a vehicle and driver ... did that once too ... Older Burmese guy with a songtheaw ... contacted him through the folks at Sam's river rafts (not where I would stay in town :o The roads up there are great and clearly marked ... it's about an hour from town I think .. the Dam there is a nice spot too ....

Kanchanaburi has some excellent budget accomodations ... some great food ... and so many many things to see! We've gone 7 times in the last 2 years and still have places to go see!

Edited by jdinasia

Self drive is the best way ... if you don't have wheels then maybe you can hire a vehicle and driver ... did that once too ... Older Burmese guy with a songtheaw ... contacted him through the folks at Sam's river rafts (not where I would stay in town :o The roads up there are great and clearly marked ... it's about an hour from town I think .. the Dam there is a nice spot too ....

Kanchanaburi has some excellent budget accomodations ... some great food ... and so many many things to see! We've gone 7 times in the last 2 years and still have places to go see!

yeah...we got our own wheels and would stay in Kan Town before setting out the next morning for the falls. Someone said 60km for the drive...good roads and no hassles? or do we got to take food, water and etc...?

(what's this business about sucking fish?...sounds like something children would enjoy)

not sure about the distance ... 60-90 minutes I think ... last time I stayed there we did rooms along the river for 400/night with AC and Hot Water and wifi (no TV except up in the restaurant)

Plenty of food at the national park .. tasty and cheap!

jjust fish ... tickle ... and don't bite

the chicken up at the dam is great ...

Try and hit Wat Tham Seua just before Kan ... PRETTY! they have a little rickety 10 baht incline rail/cable car and from the top is a great view of rice fields in the back and the river in the front

We travelled from Nakhom Pathom up to Kan,just over one hour, then on to Erawan falls about ninety mins or so. Roads all ok.Its a bit of a hike up to see all the tiers of the falls....not easy with loads of kids maybe,depends how young.

(what's this business about sucking fish?...sounds like something children would enjoy)

At least one tier has many fish in it. Water is very clear so youcan see them.They vary in size from tiny to about over a foot long.Lots of Thais swimming and more just dangle their legs in the water. The fish lighty suck on their legs causing lots of squealing,just sort of ticklish.The fish come right up to you looking for food so it might be fun taking some bread.

:o