Thai Health Ministry to sue over raid; CAPO summons Narong

webfact

Health Ministry to sue over raid; CAPO summons Narong
Suriyan Panyawai
The Nation

Senators question security agency's right to question senior official

BANGKOK: -- PUBLIC HEALTH Ministry deputy permanent secretary Chanvit Tharathep is seeking legal action against members of the Public Health Society (PHS) for their raid of a government office and alleged intimidation.

About 100 PHS members, all public health officials, allegedly entered the ministry's Office of the Permanent Secretary on Monday and removed Chanvit's name from the board showing the list of the ministry's executives.

The PHS is dissatisfied with Chanvit over his remarks about its latest statement, in which the PHS called for the resignation of caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra and called for political reform before a poll is held.

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Narong Sahametapat has endorsed the PHS statement. But he was not among the crowd raiding the government office on Monday.

"I've already lodged a complaint [against the PHS members involved] with the Muang Nonthaburi Police Station," Chanvit said yesterday.

He claimed the PHS members attacked his secretary and driver.

"I don't hold any personal grudges. But they should not have attacked my subordinates. If they are unhappy with me, they can come directly to me."

Narong is now facing a probe for his role in the PHS statement. The Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) has also summoned him for questioning.

Senator Kamnoon Sidhisamarn believed the CAPO did not have the right to summon Narong.

"I believe Narong should raise the issue with the Election Commission to see if the CAPO summons is legitimate," he said.

Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said CAPO's scope of work was limited to security-related issues.

"Narong has not committed any security-related offence," he said.

Narong thanked his supporters and said he was considering whether he should appeal to the EC. He said he did not regret his role in the statement and that a number of doctors, medical workers, and his family stood by him.

The PHS statement has boosted the the pressure People's Democratic Reform Committee has been heaping on the government. PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban also offered praise for Narong on stage.

Meanwhile, Hat Yai Hospital's director Dr Kuldej Techanaparukse is shrugging off the legal threat initiated by Chanvit.

Kuldej was among the PHS members who allegedly intimidated and scolded Chanvit in front of his office on Monday.

Chanvit has identified Kuldej as the alleged offenders.

"I am not worried," Kuldej said, "I didn't try to harm him or anything. I was there to ensure that things wouldn't spill out of control. And I thought it would be good if I could persuade Chanvit to correct the wrong thing".

Kuldej said he did not agree with an order issued by Chanvit, which instructed all officials under the Public Health Ministry to refrain from showing their political stance or from taking leave except sick leave. Apparently, the order aims to prevent the officials from taking part in political demonstration during a leave.

"A government official is also a Thai. So, all officials have the freedom of expression too," Kuldej said.

Asked about the Monday's incident, Kuldej said he did not lead the PHS to confront Chanvit.

"He's like a younger bro. I was there just to talk to him. But perhaps with whistle blowing and shouts from other people too, he might have not understood what I was saying," Kuldej said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-15

"The PHS statement has boosted the the pressure People's Democratic Reform Committee has been heaping on the government".........It hasn't boosted pressure on the Govt. At its' core, this is not against the Govt, but against those who elected this Govt....This type of articulation implies some sort of singular entity without roots and self-contained. The coup-mongers are thereby more easily focused on an identifiable object rather than the amorphous, larger reality of the millions who selected this Govt. originally...This coup-intentioned electoral minority honestly don't perceive that they are protesting against millions...But those millions are watching, and incensed every day by these aggressive attempts to nullify their votes. On Feb. 2nd., they will have an opportunity to act on that exasperation. Or they will be sidelined by a coup. At this point, they expect a Feb. 2nd. election, and are convinced anything short of that is effectively a coup......The other issue raised in this report simply verifies that not only is the Medical Establishment as a whole, in league with these coup-mongers, resulting from previous collisions with policies of the Thaksin Govt., but that sentiment is present throughout the bureaucracy that serves them.....

Edited by Fryslan boppe
  • Like 1

Civil servants taking sides. The organs of the state clearly shown to be dysfunctional. We all knew this but this incident shows how Ministry of Public Health officials have placed their work at a lower priority than party politics.

I don't expect they will be subject to disciplinary action or dismissal from their posts. wink.png

they have every right to have an opinion and the government has no right to threaten and intimidate

It would be good for Thailand if a lot more of these top Civil Servants came forward and spilled the beans on this corrupt government but I suspect that even now they are afraid to do so or have been part of the corruption, we have seen a few incidents last year were senior civil servants have given accurate financial figures on the rice scheme - where are they now ? either threatened - removed or both

• Like 2

Civil servants taking sides. The organs of the state clearly shown to be dysfunctional. We all knew this but this incident shows how Ministry of Public Health officials have placed their work at a lower priority than party politics.

I don't expect they will be subject to disciplinary action or dismissal from their posts. wink.png

they have every right to have an opinion and the government has no right to threaten and intimidate

It would be good for Thailand if a lot more of these top Civil Servants came forward and spilled the beans on this corrupt government but I suspect that even now they are afraid to do so or have been part of the corruption, we have seen a few incidents last year were senior civil servants have given accurate financial figures on the rice scheme - where are they now ? either threatened - removed or both

No. While they have every right to express an opinion, when that expression involves a call to stop working and abandon posts, it becomes a strike. Workers have a right to strike but NOT someone who is a Permanent Secretary . If he feels this way, he should resign. But he prefers to try to hang on to his sinecure in the hope of a change of govt. He should be dismissed immediately, Gross hypocrisy.

• Like 1

No. While they have every right to express an opinion, when that expression involves a call to stop working and abandon posts, it becomes a strike. Workers have a right to strike but NOT someone who is a Permanent Secretary . If he feels this way, he should resign. But he prefers to try to hang on to his sinecure in the hope of a change of govt. He should be dismissed immediately, Gross hypocrisy.

"He should be dismissed immediately"....And I expect that he will be..If Civil Service protections prevent involuntary dismissals, at the very least he will be assigned to a windowless basement cloak room counting paper clips

Edited by Fryslan boppe

What we have here is civil servants in the same govt. dept. launching raids against their colleagues in other offices. This is not voicing one's opinion but gross misconduct.

However against the backdrop of complete inaction by any authority in power to halt numerous invasions of govt. offices, there is perhaps nothing special here. When a mobile stage is set up on the lawn of the Ministry of Defence, you have to appreciate that the rules and regulations and their enforcement have pretty much totally broken down and the usually covert power of the patronage networks has emerged to show its true strength.

• Like 2

They do not have the right to demonstrate on government property and rough up people who work there. They want to express their political support, leave the workplace and go into the streets to protest. Blow their whistles or whatever.

• Like 1

Surapong now has his own kangaroo court? Astonishing A further blow to law and order as well as democracy Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As usual PTP seniors suddenly adopt whatever powers please them. Surapong is still refusing to answer questions on the illegally issued passport he delivered to his fugitive cousin.

Now he seems to think CAPO is like the Stassi was.

Raiding the government office is a serious security offense. Perpetrator should be arrested and charged.

So his cheating parliamentary procedures to push through self serving legislation.

Has the PTP spokesperson who should be in jail been arrested now?

It's seems remarkable - in light of the administration's complete about-face, to " allow " people in the health industry to exercise their right to free expression - that such Gestapo handling of Narong, who initiated the dangerous path towards free personal expression - be applied. The misdemeanor appears to be removing Chanvit's name from a board. The fact that Narong wasn't even there to witness this apparent atrocity - seems to be besides the point.

The moral of the story - when you're feelings are hurt and you want swift retribution - go after the meekest and mildest one in the room. Bullies have an instinct as to who to target.

The basis for the moral of the story : losing face.

CAPO are way overstepping the mark.

They are no a gestapo unit, but are operating like one.

They serve only the government interests and not the public's which is what they are instituted for.

They have given zero accommodation to anyone against the government, and are clearly NOT centralized, but completely 'one sided'.

They are more like a spoke in a nazi regime than any public agency.

This is clearly NOT a security issue, and therefore not their territory.

Another glaring reason why this government needs to GO!!!

"The PHS statement has boosted the the pressure People's Democratic Reform Committee has been heaping on the government".........It hasn't boosted pressure on the Govt. At its' core, this is not against the Govt, but against those who elected this Govt....This type of articulation implies some sort of singular entity without roots and self-contained. The coup-mongers are thereby more easily focused on an identifiable object rather than the amorphous, larger reality of the millions who selected this Govt. originally...This coup-intentioned electoral minority honestly don't perceive that they are protesting against millions...But those millions are watching, and incensed every day by these aggressive attempts to nullify their votes. On Feb. 2nd., they will have an opportunity to act on that exasperation. Or they will be sidelined by a coup. At this point, they expect a Feb. 2nd. election, and are convinced anything short of that is effectively a coup......The other issue raised in this report simply verifies that not only is the Medical Establishment as a whole, in league with these coup-mongers, resulting from previous collisions with policies of the Thaksin Govt., but that sentiment is present throughout the bureaucracy that serves them.....

Is it still a coup if Yingluck postpones after realising it is a pretty daft idea after all and does that make her the coup instigator!!!cheesy.gif.

Perhaps posters should distinguish more carefully between ( a ) civil servants expressing an opinion about their political affiliations, ( b ) civil servants suspending cooperation with government ministers because of their political opinions, and ( c ) civil servants entering a building to try to force out a colleague who continues working normally and does not share their politics. Anybody who doesn't live in La La Land should realise that ( b ) and ( c ) cannot exist in a conventional civil service that expects to remain in place when government alternates between two or more competing political parties. At face value the PHS's favoured setup looks like a civil service in a one party state.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1