Bangkok Police warns motorcycle taxis against overcharging

webfact

Motorcycle taxis warned against overcharging
The Nation

30224321-01_big.jpg?1389744858163

BANGKOK: -- Police warned taxi motorcyclists yesterday against overcharging passengers at this time, as protesters need their service if they want to visit other rally sites or switch venues.

Two senior policemen called a meeting of 4,165 teams of Bangkok taxi motorcyclists yesterday at which they said the standard fees set in 2005 should be strictly followed.

According to the 2005 regulations, motorcyclists are allowed to charge Bt25 for the first 2 kilometres and Bt5 for every kilometre thereafter or a fee mutually agreed upon.

Those overcharging will be subject to a Bt5,000 fine and/or a six-month suspension of their public-transport driving licence, assistant national police chief Pol Lt-General Ruengsak Jarit-ek said.

The Taxi Motorcyclists' Association, which represents about 300,000 of the taxi motorcyclists, signed an agreement yesterday to not overcharge passengers.

The association's chairman Chalerm Changthongmadan, however, said the body had no authority to regulate those operating without permission at protest sites, who mostly overcharge protesters.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-15

I was asked for 50 baht for about 1km from MBK to Chamchuri yesterday.These cheats know there are no buses so they scam.Ohh and I walked the trip,not too hot anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kingalfred

I was asked for 50 baht for about 1km from MBK to Chamchuri yesterday.These cheats know there are no buses so they scam.Ohh and I walked the trip,not too hot anyway. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No it is according to the regulation: "According to the 2005 regulations, motorcyclists are allowed to charge Bt25 for the first 2 kilometres and Bt5 for every kilometre thereafter or a fee mutually agreed upon."

What a crazy regulation......

• Like 2

How amusing that the biggest bunch of organised robbers Thailand has was warning about overcharging. More like they were issuing a warning that the "licensee" of that particuler motor cycle taxi area had not made his/her regular "Tea" money payment to them ( the police ) yet !

• Like 1

they should be able to charge what they want

they are taking risks by working in a possible dangerous area

Democracy ... free market ... supply demand ....

Fair enough. When one of them comes in after falling off his bike after one too many Leos, can the doctor say, screw the posted fee schedule, it's an extra 2000 baht because you have B.O? How about the cell phone providers? Can they surcharge everyone now because of the additional costs for having to boost facilities to support the increased traffic in the BMA? How about the gas stations still open? Can they impose a surcharge on fuel?

Democracy.... free market... supply/demand.....

• Like 1

"Police warned taxi motorcyclists yesterday against overcharging passengers at this time, as protesters need their service if they want to visit other rally sites or switch venues"

very concerned about rights of protesters, but not of the general public.

do protesters really need now to inflate their numbers by constantly travelling between rally sites, as they did in the past - to the effect of 5.8mln on the bkk streets?

Edited by londonthai

Fair enough. When one of them comes in after falling off his bike after one too many Leos, can the doctor say, screw the posted fee schedule, it's an extra 2000 baht because you have B.O? How about the cell phone providers? Can they surcharge everyone now because of the additional costs for having to boost facilities to support the increased traffic in the BMA? How about the gas stations still open? Can they impose a surcharge on fuel?

Not the same thing. They should be able to charge more with demand. If you don't like it cheapskate walk or like I do bicycle. One post is complaining about 50 baht. It's ONE POUND,! How is that a scam! If that leaves you bahtless get a job ( and a work visa)

Then the passenger is taking the same risk, no doubt without a helmet, and should get a discount.

• Like 1

I was asked for 50 baht for about 1km from MBK to Chamchuri yesterday.These cheats know there are no buses so they scam.Ohh and I walked the trip,not too hot anyway. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is not much more than 1k from the Amari Hotel in Don Muang to the Don Muang Mansions hotel. These cheating motorbike taxis quoted me 70 Baht, I walked it in 15 mins.

• Like 2

Last night around 8PM I took a non-regular motorcy from Victory Monument to near Ratchawat. Normally I pay 70 Baht with Thai 50 - 60. No problem with that. My fault probably for not checking before, but the non-regular (who smelled of alcohol) demanded 100 Baht. My Thai is good enough to explain to him that giving 70 Baht I already gave a tip and that was all he would get. He refused the money a few times, but he didn't get any response from people standing there. In the end I put the money in his basket and walked away.

I guess I have to be more careful tonight

Taxis are cheaper and safer.

Well sometimes, if they have seat belts installed and drive sensibly.

I rode in a taxi last Sunday week, I try to put the seat belt on and the driver smirked and indicated that I could not.

He then proceeded along Ratchadaphisek rd doing 100 kph, (very light traffic, usually it is chocers) I tapped him on the shoulder and said "bad zip".

He slowed but then took off again... idiot .. he didn't get a tip.

Not the same thing. They should be able to charge more with demand. If you don't like it cheapskate walk or like I do bicycle. One post is complaining about 50 baht. It's ONE POUND,! How is that a scam! If that leaves you bahtless get a job ( and a work visa)

First, for this motobike driver, 50 baht is his lunch.

Second, you probably pay 250 baht (hey it's only 5 pounds) for your beer and think you got a good deal.

Third, any idea how you're viewed by the locals? rolleyes.gif

Second, you probably pay 250 baht (hey it's only 5 pounds) for your beer and think you got a good deal.

I paid 40 baht for lunch today, pay 90 baht for beer when out, Bangkok locals get along quite well with me. There are protests etc going on now. You can not take a taxi everywhere therefore they are charging a little more now. They might have to pay 70 baht for their lunch today. The actual SCAM the poster wrote about was the driver asking 50 when it should be about 25. So my mistake the HUGE rip off was 1/2 pound only. Do you really think the locals are all watching you anyways? I doubt it.

another idiot who thinks cheating is ok because its only a small amount , who's taking care of you then?

• Like 1

there are rates and those are what they.I know how you are viewed by me,hope I avoid you in Bkk

Me and the wife went from Thewet 3 to the other side of Phra Ram 8 gate. The first driver was about to ask for a regular price, while the second quickly interupted and said he wanted 100 baht. And for those who know the area that's not really a far distance..

After much arguing we ended up on 60 baht/person.

But let's say I would refuse and instantly write up his bike plate number or suit number? What would happen to me then??

I have thought of this more than once, not to mention all the times I asked Tuktuk's who hang around the end of Rambuttri Road (near the Wat Bowonniwet Vihara stupa/chedi)

The normal fee from there to Thewet should be about 30 baht. Which we usually pay from around Banglamphu, however, since Rambuttri has become a true part of Khao San the transport hub there has become just as mafia as Hualampong, Nana/Asok, Asiatique or Jatujak market...) and the prices usually starts at 60 baht. Which is rediculous and leave us saying "ok, let's take a cab instead", since it will land us on less than 40 bt...

But taxis hanging around are just as bad, non going by the meter.. Need to be lucky and find a taxi coming in from another area with some passengers coming for a visit that will happily drive for the metered price.

I have many times thought of writing up their number plates and registrations each time they refuse me. But after some reconsideration, would it be worth it? In the best case scenario, they would have to pay a fine, in the worst case scenario, they would see that I'm the culprit and things could go quite ugly.

So, should we just accept it the way it is? Cause I will not buy a bike and get out on those streets. My driving skills are hardly good enough for Chiang Mai, so I would die instantly in Bkk...

All these farang who think we are "bad" for not paying the "overcharged" 2 or 3 times prices,.see the multiple messages about the cheats.And you think it's about money "for their meal" more probably more Chang or Leo. How pathetic you are . I was living north of Bangkok when the flooding came 2 years ago and taxi services were cheating their own who were suffering , so they are unscrupulous and deserve no business.What's the title of the thread, remind me?

Edited by kingalfred

This is true Thainess, when the chips are down screw over your fellow citizens. During the floods, they wouldn't let the firemen use boats to help the displaced. Instead the scum charged outrageous prices to the locals for a boat ride out of the flooded sois. Thainess! I don't think the Thais know the meaning of the word Noble.

I gather it's more of a "mutual agreed fare"

Anything else, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Touts don't force me to allow them to take me.

Just got back from vung tao vietnam & the moment you get on the ferry, without asking "boys" just carry your luggage into the vessel and await a tip! Simply amazing!

I fear if I didn't pay, I might be floating down the chao praya by now :)

I always, always take the "bull by the horns" and negotiate.

If you do know the route, then you should also know the approximate fare.

Agree to agree and everything will work out well.

(Same goes for any "uniform group" in thailand)

Best regards

keyboard warrior

"Police warned taxi motorcyclists yesterday against overcharging passengers at this time, as protesters need their service if they want to visit other rally sites or switch venues"

but for other types of passengers and at other times it is perfectly OK to overcharge.....