52 holding retirement visa: too young to get refund of fixed deposit account interests tax?

Hi guys,

few weeks ago I read on TV that some fellows could get a refund of the tax that the bank keeps on fixed deposit accounts (15%).

Apparently it was easy and straightforward.

I'm 52, single, living in LOS since 01/2010, holding a Retirement Visa(before 50 various double entries tourist visa, extensions, visa run.......)

Every year I get money tranfers from my foreign account to my Thai bank account and open various fixed deposit accounts.

Today, along with the branch manager of the bank, I went to the tax office in Chiang Mai City Hall trying to deal with this refund.

I have been told that at my age it is impossible to get a refund of the 15% tax on my fixed deposit accounts interest withheld by the bank.

What they said was:

- you can get this refund after 60 years old

- after 65 your interest will be net( no more 15% tax on the interests withheld by the bank)

So..... I am wondering and asking all of you guys who could get this refund: are you all over 60?

Was the lady in charge at the tax office not aware of the possibility of this refund?

Is the City Hall tax office in Chiang Mai the right office? Is there maybe anotyher 1 to deal with?

Are there any other parameters which I should know to get this refund?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

PS: It is my first post, I hope it is in the right section

Looks like you've made 132 posts to date.

Have you read through this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610294-obtaining-refund-of-tax-withheld-on-thai-bank-fixed-savings-account/

or here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621380-interest-on-thai-baht-account/

Edited by Suradit69

I get the refund. I'm under 60.

As far as I know the only requirement is to have no taxable income above the threshold (whatever that is). I have no taxable income at all in Thailand, which is one of my main reasons for living here.

Thank you....

it looks I went to the wrong office and they didn't know anything about.

I suppose you don't live in Chiang Mai and don't know where the right office is....

Does anybody know where it is in Chiang Mai?

I really don't know where to go in Chiang Mai to file this bloody tax refund.

Looks like you've made 132 posts to date.

Have you read through this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610294-obtaining-refund-of-tax-withheld-on-thai-bank-fixed-savings-account/

or here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/621380-interest-on-thai-baht-account/

ooppsss..... sorry.... I meant: it is the first time I open a discussion and I wasn't sure where to open it.

Thank you for the links.... it was reading them that I thought I could do the same, but apparently I went to apply to the wrong office and they didn't know about it.

So, I am desperately looking for the right office in Chiang Mai..... if you know or may be able to know where it is, I would appreciate it very very much....

Thank you.

why did you take the bank manager with you.

She said that a very good friend of her was working at the tax office and she offered me to take me there..... I thought it would have been easier and faster. I know that sometimes in Los connections are the key for success. Well, obviously it is not always like thatsad.png

She said that a very good friend of her was working at the tax office and she offered me to take me there..... I thought it would have been easier and faster. I know that sometimes in Los connections are the key for success. Well, obviously it is not always like thatsad.png

are you married if so send your wf.mine has done the last 3yrs for me,as for bank staff they will say yes or nod if they know

f-all.

• Like 1

are you married if so send your wf.mine has done the last 3yrs for me,as for bank staff they will say yes or nod if they know

f-all.

Unfortunately....(maybe fortunately :) ) I am single, with not steady gf.

I guess you are not living in Chiang Mai....I don't know which bloody office is the right 1 to go....too many around here.

Could you tell me what's the genetal name of the office where your wife went in the city where you live?

Thank you.

The tax office you need in Chiang Mai has moved and is now located across the bridge from the Holiday Inn, head West over the bridge and turn left, the tax office is a new building set back on the right, a hundred yards or so. Main building, first floor, turn right at the top of the stairs, the lady at the desk on your left is super helpful and will walk you through the process. The information you received about age and the refund is untrue.

The tax office you need in Chiang Mai has moved and is now located across the bridge from the Holiday Inn, head West over the bridge and turn left, the tax office is a new building set back on the right, a hundred yards or so. Main building, first floor, turn right at the top of the stairs, the lady at the desk on your left is super helpful and will walk you through the process. The information you received about age and the refund is untrue.

Thank you very much.... very helpful indeed.

I know the area, I think I can find it.

I was sure the lady at the tax office in the City Hall was telling me <deleted>.

• Like 1

Age has nothing to do with getting the 15% withholding tax refund. Most likely a Thai-English communication disconnect which happens easily and often...or just a not-so-smart bank manager. Just get the tax withholding doc from the bank and go file for the refund at your local tax revenue office....you'll need your passport and copy of the passbook showing the tax withholding in addition to the mention tax doc provided by the bank.

Age has nothing to do with getting the 15% withholding tax refund. Most likely a Thai-English communication disconnect which happens easily and often...or just a not-so-smart bank manager. Just get the tax withholding doc from the bank and go file for the refund at your local tax revenue office....you'll need your passport and copy of the passbook showing the tax withholding in addition to the mention tax doc provided by the bank.

Well....mai pen rai....just wasted some time, not a big problem.

Tomorrow I'll try again in another office, it should be ok.

Thank you for info.

Thank you for info.

Please report back on how it went. I'm planning on doing this in CM too. Thanks.

Thank you for info.

Please report back on how it went. I'm planning on doing this in CM too. Thanks.

ok.... I will

So.... went this morning and, as already pointed out by Chiang Mai, everything went smooth and easy, got in and out in less than 25 minutes.

To all the info already given in this thread, I can add that I had to pay 200 Baht because I have applied also for 2012(means: 2013 was free of charge, then 200 Baht for each previous year, I think you can apply up to 3 previous years).

Staff was very helpful and actually they did everything for me.

They didn't know how long it can take to get the refund check mailed at home, their guess was about a month.

You don't need to go there with a Thai person, I don't speak Thai but everything was easy.

Thank you to all the TV members who helped me with info.

So.... went this morning and, as already pointed out by Chiang Mai, everything went smooth and easy, got in and out in less than 25 minutes.

To all the info already given in this thread, I can add that I had to pay 200 Baht because I have applied also for 2012(means: 2013 was free of charge, then 200 Baht for each previous year, I think you can apply up to 3 previous years).

They didn't know how long it can take to get the refund check mailed at home, their guess was about a month.

You don't need to go there with a Thai person, I don't speak Thai but everything was easy.

does that mean we are all invited down the DOG AND DUCKclap2.gif

Thanks for the update, especially the 200 baht fee for prior years.

I was hoping to do this every other year but now have the huge decision of whether my time is worth 200 baht for 25 minutes, or not.

;-)

Thanks for the update, especially the 200 baht fee for prior years.

I was hoping to do this every other year but now have the huge decision of whether my time is worth 200 baht for 25 minutes, or not.

;-)

I would see it in an other way, that is to say: let's get the refund as fast as possible before they change, as usual, the rule and stop giving back money to the rich falangs..... whistling.gif