You Don't Understand - Finally Understood!

Curt1591

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Iam a westerner and I do not understand what the hell you are dribbling about.

TL;DR - "you don't understand Thai culture" actually means "our way is the only right way"

But this same attitude is most often exactly the cause of the farang criticizing the Thai way.

I think what it really means is "you are a foreigner so shut up about how you think things could be improved here"

And I think that's a perfectly valid POV

TL;DR - "you don't understand Thai culture" actually means "our way is the only right way"

But this same attitude is most often exactly the cause of the farang criticizing the Thai way.

I think what it really means is "you are a foreigner so shut up about how you think things could be improved here"

Depends what u mean by the thai way?

Does the OP remember the first time he asked one of his parents about sex? I thought not, but they probably said "your not old enough to know about that, yet" this answer, I hope gives a western slant, to the another popular quote,, 'same, same but different'. Now some may argue against my translation, but when I use the first response I heard from my parents, I get a blank look and a slight shake of the head from those within earshot, so it has the desired affect.

The OP remembers quite well. I never asked; my mother brought it up while I was still in grade school.

At the time, I was thinking a grade school equivalent of <deleted>; what's this got to do with me? But, in time, it allowed me the confidence that I could and would discuss it with her (Dad died when I was very young; step dad was a dolt).

Later in life, Mom even gave me tips on getting laid, and always offered great ideas.

There was never anything we couldn't, and wouldn't, discuss, openly and honestly.

• Like 1

That bit about Thai education is a joke, right?

Anyway, it seems like you're overthinking this matter a bit. You're not Thai, so there's naturally going to be things you don't understand about Thais and Thailand. I'm American, and off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen things non-Americans just won't get. Heck, even within my own country there's things we don't connect on. Pretty sure a person from LA will never understand certain ways someone from NYC thinks or acts.

• Like 2

Depends what u mean by the thai way?

Nearly everything people complain about here isn't "wrong" in the sense of some hypothetical "universal human" morality, but the result of different cultural programming.

Murder, true assault & rape, cannibalism are certainly valid claims for being universal, but certainly not transparent pricing same for all, the importance of punctuality and honesty, keeping transportation means clear for those who want to get from A to B quickly, forms of government, whether or not interrupting people or picking or blowing your nose is rude, what consenting adults want to do with their bodies, safety standards, the true value of human life etc etc

Are all arbitrary adn specific to a given (sub)culture.

I did say "often".

Although much of science has concepts held as "truths", these truths were often reached through the questioning of the accepted knowledge of the time. And, in time, some of today's accepted truths may be proven wrong.

What Thailand needs is plumbers and electricians, engineers and doctors.

When poop rolls up hill and electricity does not need to be grounded and the basics of infection and sickness change let me know.

Right now nothing Thailand needs, asks for creativity of thought. Rote learning will solve all of the problems Thailand has.

Instead we have plumbers that think poop runs up hill and shower heaters don't need to be grounded. What Thailand needs is a big guy with a stick saying, "repeat after me, poop runs downhill, poop runs down hill, poop runs downhill...............

A guy from Guinness can come and teach them to make beer (repeat after me .... and don't muck about and change anything or try and be creative) . Look what creativity has done for Beer in Thailand - Chang my gosh!

• Like 1

That bit about Thai education is a joke, right?

Anyway, it seems like you're overthinking this matter a bit. You're not Thai, so there's naturally going to be things you don't understand about Thais and Thailand. I'm American, and off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen things non-Americans just won't get. Heck, even within my own country there's things we don't connect on. Pretty sure a person from LA will never understand certain ways someone from NYC thinks or acts.

Ah but the things that we don't get, Thais also know are nuts but they have been conditioned not to question.

That's where the "you don't understand" comes from. They don't understand either.

• Like 2

Ah but the things that we don't get, Thais also know are nuts but they have been conditioned not to question.

That's where the "you don't understand" comes from. They don't understand either.

Fair point. There's definitely something to be said for that. But at the same time, just like you and I might wonder "Why is it Thais are so vague and can't be direct about things?", there's very likely a few Thais out there wondering "Why is it foreigners have to be direct and to-the-point about everything?"

Fair point. There's definitely something to be said for that. But at the same time, just like you and I might wonder "Why is it Thais are so vague and can't be direct about things?", there's very likely a few Thais out there wondering "Why is it foreigners have to be direct and to-the-point about everything?"

Because they don't want to explain because the only explanation is that it is the way it is.

Of course if you are talking about women. Well. Enough said. Lol

part of the problem is the english language ability of the person doing the explaining, and/or the thai language ability of the recipient.

my GF is a lawyer and speaks excellent english, she can explain clearly and we have open and constructive discussions.

she is also open minded, as am i, and able to understand and accept the negatives and positives of our respective countries and cultures.

I'm not a Thai so I don't understand. After 12 years I don't understand and to be honest, I don't want to waste energy arguing about the rights or wrongs with a Thai because one thing I DO understand - there is not right and there is no wrong. Both are views of different belief systems and upbring. I think it's wrong to lie but a Thai would rather lie than lose face. That's what they beleive so them, it's right. If I ever get "you not Thai, you not understand" or even better "shaddup, you not understand" I translate that to mean; sigh....

I'm not a Thai so I don't understand. After 12 years I don't understand and to be honest, I don't want to waste energy arguing about the rights or wrongs with a Thai because one thing I DO understand - there is not right and there is no wrong. Both are views of different belief systems and upbring. I think it's wrong to lie but a Thai would rather lie than lose face. That's what they beleive so them, it's right. If I ever get "you not Thai, you not understand" or even better "shaddup, you not understand" I translate that to mean; sigh....

When I write "understand" you know I mean "under-sar-tand" right?

So if the Asian in a western countries try to voice out our concerns and thoughts, we are told we are un-Asian and we should just staying silently without resentment BUT when a westerners comes to Asia and think that they understand Asia well enough are encouraged to voice out their concern and thoughts freely. Aha.... Since I am an Asian in Asia, Can I only say "we should all just keep our mouth shut and keeping our faces down and continue to suck up to many westerners with superior complex?" Well, just when I thought westerns are civilized and value equality, I probably need to rethink this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So if the Asian in a western countries try to voice out our concerns and thoughts, we are told we are un-Asian and we should just staying silently without resentment BUT when a westerners comes to Asia and think that they understand Asia well enough are encouraged to voice out their concern and thoughts freely. Aha.... Since I am an Asian in Asia, Can I only say "we should all just keep our mouth shut and keeping our faces down and continue to suck up to many westerners with superior complex?" Well, just when I thought westerns are civilized and value equality, I probably need to rethink this. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What what? You make about as much sense as the OP.. ZERO

• Like 1