Speed Camera

MichaelJohn

Wife's just had a call from her mother saying there's a photo arrived in the post of our car doing 129Km/hr on Sirat expressway ........ well yes, that would be me!

Even thought the speed limit is apparently 80 Km/hr they only prosecute above 120 Km/hr?!

So, we're about to go away and even though the mother-in-law's posted the document to us it won't arrive in time; does any one know if there's a time limit for paying the fine.

By the way, for those used to paying the B100 direct to the policemen, the fine from a camera is a fixed penalty of B1,000. Ouch!

I was caught by a camera last October, near Meuang Saraburi en route to Isaan, either Highway 1 or 2 or the connecting relief road round the Eastern edges of the town (I was never quite clear exactly where I committed the sin from the diagramatic map in Thai that was enclosed. Just over 120 kph from memory.

1,000 baht fine and my wife, on enquiry, told me that the only incentive to pay, rather than ignore, was the fact that you could not get your annual tax sticker if you had not paid your fine. Implication was that there was no reason to hurry the payment otherwise. I paid about 6 weeks later, because my tax fell due at that time. Best to pay no later than a couple of weeks before your tax is due as the payment has to be posted off and you need to leave time for the police to record the fine having been cleared on the system.

I was caught by a camera last October, near Meuang Saraburi en route to Isaan, either Highway 1 or 2 or the connecting relief road round the Eastern edges of the town (I was never quite clear exactly where I committed the sin from the diagramatic map in Thai that was enclosed. Just over 120 kph from memory.

1,000 baht fine and my wife, on enquiry, told me that the only incentive to pay, rather than ignore, was the fact that you could not get your annual tax sticker if you had not paid your fine. Implication was that there was no reason to hurry the payment otherwise. I paid about 6 weeks later, because my tax fell due at that time. Best to pay no later than a couple of weeks before your tax is due as the payment has to be posted off and you need to leave time for the police to record the fine having been cleared on the system.

I believe that your vehicle is also considered untaxed until paid. You also have penalty points on the licence.

Maybe the authorities are beginning to do something serious about the death-toll , altho i should add speeding is not the worse crime on the roads when compared with some of the other idiotic behaviour on Thai roads . Now if they could get the drunks and the yaa baa drivers and the other idiots off the road . To educate drivers how to be responsible , sometimes it is necessary to speak in the only language they understand and that is money.

• Like 1

I believe that your vehicle is also considered untaxed until paid. You also have penalty points on the licence.

NO penalty points. 18 months ago I was caught by camera at 135 in 120 zone. Then the ticket was 500 baht. just posted it off and got a receipt back.

Not sure about the licence penalty points but some misdemeanors result in some extra training at license renewal.

I believe the speeding penalty increases with how far above the limit you are. That is probably why 129km/h in an 80 zone is 1,000 baht and 135km/h in a 120 zone was 500 baht.

A friend was stopped by the BiB for speeding and she paid in the customary way only to later receive a penalty notice in the mail. Could be time for drivers in LOS to start paying speeding tickets by mail, wonder what the BiB would do for pocket money then?

If you got a photo of your car speeding and not actually got caught in real time,

I would send them a photo of Baht. 1,000 to cover the fine, photo for photo....

Someone did that a while ago, not in Thailand though. I think it was in the UK. He received a photo of handcuffs in return. He paid the fine the same day.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Apart from fixed cameras, has anyone seen mobile ones and what do they look like?

A couple of years ago I saw what looked like an SLR camera on a tripod set up on the Ubon ring road. I've seen the same type in use in Bahrain.

NO penalty points. 18 months ago I was caught by camera at 135 in 120 zone. Then the ticket was 500 baht. just posted it off and got a receipt back.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/traffic_offense_points_system

among other references

On January 16, 2002, the Traffic Offense Points System was implemented.

It is yet to be seen how strictly this law will be enforced in the rather unsystematic trafficlaw enforcement situation in Thailand, or the extent of inconvenience one endures in its legal procedure, or whether it affects holders of an International Driving Permit or a driver's license from a foreign country.

One thing is clear. To keep away from hassles, one needs to understand its target offenses. This page aims to introduce the outline of the Traffic Offense Points System.

The Traffic Offense Points Recording
(A) 10 Points
  • Driving a vehicle in a manner obstructing traffic.
  • Driving on a walkway without justifiable reason.
(B) 20 Points
  • Recklessly passing on the shoulder of a road which is not considered a traffic-flow lane
  • Passing another vehicle where signs prohibit passing, to include recklessly passing in a congested area, passing whilst going up a hill, approaching a bridge or curve in the road and within 30-metres of an intersection, roundabout or similar junction. Also included is passing another vehicle when visibility is impaired by heavy rain, fog, blowing sand or smoke, etc., limiting forward vision to less than 60-meters.
  • Parking on the side of the road or on the edge of the road traveled by other vehicles without using emergency flasher or turning on signal lights during hours of limited visibility.
  • Taxi drivers refusing to accept passengers.
  • Taxi drivers depositing passengers on the road after refusing to complete the fare going to the destination agreed upon.
© 30 Points
  • Driving indecisively resulting in a traffic violation.
  • Driving dangerously.
  • Driving a vehicle in an abnormal manner or contrary to usual driving habits.
  • Driving a vehicle without concern for the safety of others or endangering the lives of others.
  • Driving over the lawful speed limit.
(D) 40 Points
  • Failure to stop behind the line at a red light signal or a stop sign (running red light signal or stop sign).
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substance.
  • Causing an accident injuring an individual or damaging personal property, not stopping to provide suitable assistance, not reporting the accident to police and fleeing the scene of the accident.
  • Vehicles racing on the road.

Drivers who amass more than 60 demerit points in a year will have their licenses suspended for 90 days and face a fine or a jail term if caught driving during that time. Those caught driving while their licences have been suspended face a maximum fine of 2,000 Baht.

Under a new points system, drivers who commit traffic violations laid out in the Land Traffic Act of 1979 will be “awarded” between 10 and 40 penalty points for each offense. Those who accumulate more than 60 points will be fined and banned from driving for 90 days.

In another post I remarked at how lax enforcement of road rules is here, including for speeding, which is why I, like some of the other posters on here don't take speed limit signs in Thailand seriously (besides, they are barely posted most of the time). However, I have also received a 1000 Baht fine in the mail for doing something like 133km/h and since I was driving a rental car at the time, I was charged 1500 Baht (500 Baht was the "administrative fee" charged by the rental company). I think the application of penalties for non-payment of fines should be strengthened to include other penalties other than just not being able to renew tax. I'm not sure who pays or who doesn't pay penalty notices in Thailand or the percentage of defaulters, but I know that back home and in most developed countries there are serious consequences for non-payment, though a couple of reminder notices and a number of weeks (even months) without a response have to go by first before more serious actions are taken including debt collectors coming after the money.

The cameras are not really visible, but the one I know of only covers the right lane. Those near Chiangmai can find it on the 11 to Lampang, after the TOT centre half way to Lamphun approximately at the location of the Fora Honey Bee Museum. It is elevated above the southbound highway, light grey in colour. Recently seen some signs put up as you approach advertising a 400B fine for people caught speeding, maybe the fine also depends on the province? I've not been caught as I fly past in the left lane.

On the road to Chanthaburi the limit is 90km officially, seen cameras many times, local BIB told us they only activate above 120km/hr and you can not go back and bribe the operator as it is out of his control.

I had the feeling that cops dislike speed cameras as it is loosing them corrupt extortion and bribes.

I rearly exceed 100, but the white vans must sit on 140

Edited by Chao Lao Beach