Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

clap2.gif Nice report but I just want to make it clear that your non O visa was based on marriage to a Thai.

That's fine but it is very unlikely that anyone will get a non O visa multi entry or otherwise visa based on retirement anywhere in Asia. including Savannakhet.

I only say this because I don't want over 50's going to Savannaket and assuming they will easily get a visa for retirement.

Almost all the non O visa (maybe all of them) are for those married to a Thai.

Right now, Savannakhet is the place to get a non O visa for those married to a Thai. That's fine, but no one should assume it will be like that forever.

In 2010 when I first got a non O retirement visa from Hull it was easy and one of the easiest places in the world to get such a visa.

Today, as evidenced by many posts on this forum, Hull is not so easy. The rules have been changed.

All I want those who look for visas in Savannakhet is that TODAY it is easy to get a visa there for someone married to a Thai.

But, just like Hull in 2010, things can change.

So always have a backup "plan B" if required.

Hi All

Just to add my two penarth. I agree you always need a plan B and what’s more be aware that the requirements to obtain a visa can and do change. I have so far managed to stay in Thailand for the last 10 years by obtaining a non immigration multiple entry visa.

I realised from the outset that the requirements were likely to change. In the beginning you did not need to be married to a Thai merely be visiting one and you did not need to provide any evidence of money deposited in a bank, merely sign a form to declare you had sufficient money to finance your trip or repatriation should the need arise.

Whilst I am of the retirement age I chose not to tie up the required funds in a Thai bank account and go through the more highly regulated procedure of obtaining a retirement visa.

There are certain advantages to the non immigration visa as it allows in affect a 15 month stay in Thailand and provides a degree of flexibility.

My guess is that some people obtaining their non immigration visas from Hull were running into financial trouble which made the Thai authorities question how they were obtaining their visas. Hull, I understand, now has its applications vetted by the London Thai embassy as well as requiring evidence of 800,000 baht being in a bank account.

Therefore all things may change and it pays to keep an eye on developments. It may come to pass that all Thai consulates and embassies require evidence of a 800.000 baht deposit in a bank account held for at least 3 months before granting a visa.

• Like 1

Great report but t does bring a question that I am hoping you can answer

With this "Multiple Non-O-Visa for 1 year"

Does this mean you can stay in Thailand now for 12 months without leaving or reporting to immigration office?

If not what do you have to do? border run every 90 days?

Thanks in advance

LL

Nice post gzu88bv...

I've been married to a Thai lass for a while now, but so far have continued to enter the Kingdom on the visa exempt stamp, as I work a "one month on - one month off" rotation. It was never the best, but it was the easiest, but I hear they're tightening up on that now. I had always intended to get myself a proper non 'O' visa based on marriage but I never go back to the UK, so I always kept putting it off, however; in light of your excellent post, next time I come back (off to work tomorrow sad.png ) I'll nip across to Savannakhet with the missus for a wee break and do the right thing with my visa while I'm there, so thanks for the info

cheers...thumbsup.gif

Dod

• 2 weeks later...

@jonmarleesco in Vientiane they only accepted Baht for the visa fee when I went there so I'm assuming Savannakhet is the same. Generally, consulates and embassies only accept one currency for payment of visa fees which is either the local currency or another currency of their choice. In Phnom Penh and Yangon (both places I have applied for Thai visas before) USD are required. In China it's Yuan, in Malaysia Ringgit etc.

Got back yesterday from getting a non O immigrant based on marry to thai, i was on the 30 day voa, so needed to get a non imm visa.

I received a 1 year multi entry as stated above, very easy to do it is the 2nd one i have received from there.

I will at the end of this visa put the funds in the bank so not have to leave again.

Can recommend Leena GH, staff are very friendly only 360bt air con room 200bt fan.

tuk tuk should be 60bt to the border and back, or if in a van 100bt, just ask for share with someone.

You mention the Leena GH.
Do you have a contact number for the place so as to book ahead?
Any other Guest House recommendation in Savannakhet anyone?

@sceptict11

No need for a supermarket, go to French-biased Vientiane for instance and see what is available there in the shops. I love the Issan, but I also love Lao for its Farang restaurants/food and its very friendly people indeed.

@ubonjoe

I was in my last 15 permitted days to stay of my already expired previous Non-O-Visa and I secured those til their very end by a re-entry permit (done just after the Non-O had expired) in order to return to Thailand and extend that previous Non-O-Visa by a further 60 days based on my wife and in company of her to be done at any immigration office in Thailand.

If Savannakhet would not have worked, my plan was to extend as above, then switch to an extension based on retirement by an income letter that I had to get first.

I prefer however my present situation with the Non-O-Visa for reasons already mentioned.

My head is spinning.

You have to go through all this grief every year for the rest of your life?

No,but the other option is WORST: tell all your life, be victim of a police interview and show the photos of your room, bed and dirty sheets after crazy night.

Which option do you prefer ?

For me I will enjoy a trip abroad until the rest of my life if necessary instead of giving any private information to people who should be grateful that I stay and spend millions in their country every year !

So you spend millions in their country every year, but cannot afford the 400,000 BHT in the Thai Bank ? It's like some poster here quote, my mind boggles at the concept. And the "farang food" to be found in Savannakhet, there are no supermarkets, just restaurants, so you enjoy the baguettes day in day out while you are there, but when you leave that's all that there was to it. Haven't you learned to bake your own bread ( flour & yeast is readily available in Eesan towns) or a potato salad going with a nice pork loin, pancakes with honey, etc ??

• Like 1

Just back from Savannaketh/Laos for my new Non-O-Visa. Same as usual nothing changed. Passport, 2 Photos of myself, Copy from the marriage certificate, Copy my wifes ID, Copy my wifes tabian ban. 5000 Baht fee. New Visum next day 2 pm. Easy. And the best is I found a gooood place to stay Leena Guesthouse. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Leena...11912572202152 .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

i just returned from Savannaketh, was doing the same as the OP. ( my journey 17-03-2014 )

Still same place as decribed in the OP

Handed in the required papers for the Non Immigrant O visa, Married, 90 days with Multiple entry's

No hassle, the clerk checked if all documents present, i was asked to pay 5000 bath and was handed a ticket to pick up next day.

Next day pick up at 14.00 hr, no problem, a quick glance at my face to see if the passport matches and of you go...

Visa valid until 16-03-2015

Max 90 days per entry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's the approx time it takes from arriving Thai side to getting in a tuk tuk for the consulate.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That dependents upon the time of day when you arrive. The biggest delay will be getting the Lao visa on arrival. If there are a lot of people there is can take up to an hour.

Thanks a lot for telling your Story about your Visatrip,as i have done the same and just came back with my1 Year Non Immigrant O Visa,multiple entries.

Its really very easy,to go to the consulate and get the Visa.It took meabout 15 minutes on Tuesday morning at 9 AM - monday was a Holiday - to fall in line and got to the counter and give my papers,took just 1 minute to look at them and today i picked my passport up at 2 pm and was done in 2 minutes.

They just wanted to see your Marriage paper,original and one Copy,your Passport with copy and copy of your wifes ID-Card and homepaper,signed by her and 5.000 Baht

I stayed 2 nights in Savan Vegas Hotel and if you want to stay there too,they offer a free transport service from the Thai Border to the Hotel and back,before the Tai Border on the left hand side,they have a office and you can park your car there too,as i did.

• Like 1

Oliver what's the Savan Vegas like want to get a hotel with a swimming pool for the wife and the only other hotel seems to be Daosavanh at 2,500 baht per night.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So if I do this run, To make a marriage visa I DO NOT need 400k savings or 40k a month of income proof?

There is no marriage visa done anywhere.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage with no financial proof at the consulate in Savannakhet that will require border runs every 90 days.

You can get a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage by showing financial proof. Then just make 90 reports to them with no need to leave the country.

• Like 2

5000 baht plus travel expenses seems a lot. There are better ways to get a year visa IMO.

Please expand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not sure if it's allowed to give names but there are many places offering 1 year visas without leaving the country every 3 months.

The legality is questionable but never heard of anyone getting into trouble in 20 years of living here.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

5000 baht plus travel expenses seems a lot. There are better ways to get a year visa IMO.

Please expand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not sure if it's allowed to give names but there are many places offering 1 year visas without leaving the country every 3 months.

The legality is questionable but never heard of anyone getting into trouble in 20 years of living here.

The legality of what is being suggested is illegal, no question !

gzu88bv, thank you for the map data about the new location. I have taken note of it, ready to move the marker on my map the moment I read about it getting opened at the new place:

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214923170432669428134.00046d314d9711f49a389&msa=0&ll=16.568498,104.75687&spn=0.057587,0.099134&iwloc=0004bbef0f3c0bfcaff92

People using this consulate regularly can already start scouting for hotels near the new location.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We were married in UK and have UK certificate now translated into Thai, is this sufficient for Savannakhet or will it require the full Ministry of Foreign affairs treatment.

Any advice or previous experience greatfully received,

We were married in UK and have UK certificate now translated into Thai, is this sufficient for Savannakhet or will it require the full Ministry of Foreign affairs treatment.

Any advice or previous experience greatfully received,

Savannakhet will accept the marriage certificate in English so your translation will certainly be accepted.

• Like 1