Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

I did the mission to Savannakhet on Thursday 7th August to get the Non Immigrant O visa (marriage).

I arrived the next morning (Friday 8th) at 830am and the gates opened at 9am.

There were around 40 people, mostly from Laos.

We all lined up outside of box number 1 - and I was number 34 in line.

After around five minutes I handed in my documents to the Thai consulate officer. The documents were as follows:

1. Application form with two passport photos attached with paper clip. I ticked non immigrant visa and put down the number of entries as "5".

2. A signed and dated (myself and wife signed) copy of my marriage certificate. Front and back of cert on one piece of paper.

3. A signed (wife and I signed) and dated copy of the Kor Tor 2 form. Front and back on one piece of paper.

4. A signed and dated copy of my passport front page.

5. A copy of my wife's national ID card (front and back) signed and dated.

6. A copy of my wife's Tibian baan book signed and dated by my wife.

7. 5000 baht cash inside my passport.

The officer looked over my paperwork and gave me my ticket and said come back at 330pm.

I arrived back at the consulate at 215pm and the doors opened at 220pm. I walked in with around 20 others and lined back up at the number 2 window. I was around number 15 in line.

I gave them my ticket and I got my passport back with a one year non immigrant o visa.

I did not need proof of funds. I hope this helps everyone. Cheers

Hi Bro

Was your marriage cert in Thai or English ? I did mine a few days before you and the bloke said I was lucky because mine was only in English ,he said sometimes they make you get it translated ,wich you can do not far from the consulate he said .lucky for me ,as I wouldn't have had the time .

Anyone else had a problem with just the English only cert ?

Hi Bro

Was your marriage cert in Thai or English ? I did mine a few days before you and the bloke said I was lucky because mine was only in English ,he said sometimes they make you get it translated ,wich you can do not far from the consulate he said .lucky for me ,as I wouldn't have had the time .

Anyone else had a problem with just the English only cert ?

If you have a marriage certificate issued outside Thailand in English they will accept it. If it was not originally in English they will only accept a translation to Thai.

• Like 1

Just to inform other people thinking of doing this Visa in Savannakhet, i got mine on Thursday 14th 2014, no problems, did not even have to show funds in bank or any of my original documents, was late getting there, 10.20 5 mins to give my application in then back at 3.30 straight to counter and received my visa.

It helped the fact i paid 60 baht to the guys outside the gates with my form, i thought money well spent.

Thank you all for your comments on this subject and helping me.

Kevin

Big thanks to the OP for his detailed post and also to the many other contributors to this thread.

I see that a number of folks were able to get the various steps wrapped up in the same day – which would be my hope.

To do so (i.e. hitting the Thai Consulate before 11 AM – or, to minimise the risk of not getting your docs processed before they close, as early as possible before then) seems to involve cutting things real tight.

In that context, and in order to help planning,it would be great if perhaps somebody could kindly have a few specific logistical details ….

1. The Thai Border Control is right there before the Friendship Bridge, right?

2. What time does the Thai Border Control office open and, generally, is getting through there a pretty quick process (assuming the amount of people queuing is not too big)?

3. Do you then just walk across the bridge?

4. What time does the Laos Border Control office open and, generally, is getting through there a pretty quick process (assuming the amount of people queuing is not too big)?

5. I assume all you need have with you for the Laos Border process is your passport and a photograph?

6. When you then pick up a tuk tuk outside Laos Border Control, approx. how long does it take to travel to the Thai Consulate?

7. Assuming you get your docs processed before 11 AM at the Thai Consulate and are, after returning and queuing in the afternoon, able pick them up at say 3.30 PM, how much time do you have to get back to the Laos Border Control and Thai Border Control? [what are their closing times?]

Many thanks!

Do they also issue multi non O based on having children instead of based on marriage?

They will but you must be the legal father of your child by way of marriage to their mother or legitimization of your parenthood by way of a court order or an Amphoe.

Ok, thanks. Legitimization by my embassy and PP of my country does not count I guess?

this is acceptable in vientiane for a single entry. i want to know if it is acceptable in sk as well

Big thanks to the OP for his detailed post and also to the many other contributors to this thread.

I see that a number of folks were able to get the various steps wrapped up in the same day – which would be my hope.

To do so (i.e. hitting the Thai Consulate before 11 AM – or, to minimise the risk of not getting your docs processed before they close, as early as possible before then) seems to involve cutting things real tight.

In that context, and in order to help planning,it would be great if perhaps somebody could kindly have a few specific logistical details ….

2. What time does the Thai Border Control office open and, generally, is getting through there a pretty quick process (assuming the amount of people queuing is not too big)?

4. What time does the Laos Border Control office open and, generally, is getting through there a pretty quick process (assuming the amount of people queuing is not too big)?

5. I assume all you need have with you for the Laos Border process is your passport and a photograph?

6. When you then pick up a tuk tuk outside Laos Border Control, approx. how long does it take to travel to the Thai Consulate?

7. Assuming you get your docs processed before 11 AM at the Thai Consulate and are, after returning and queuing in the afternoon, able pick them up at say 3.30 PM, how much time do you have to get back to the Laos Border Control and Thai Border Control? [what are their closing times?]

Many thanks!

Hey Roykeanz

I know others have replied but i thought the more info you get the better, right?

1. Yes, the Thai border is right before the Friendship Bridge - takes about two minutes to get to the Laos Border Control area by bus / car.

2. I am uncertain of the hours etc of the Thai border side of things, but it took me and about 30 others around fifteen minutes to get through. No issues.

3. Yes you could walk across the bridge, no worries.

4. Not too certain on the Laos border times either sorry. I got to the Laos border on a bus from the Mukdahan bus station (took around 15 minutes to get to the border). I got to the border around 5pm. They dropped us off at Thai immigration and then we jumped back on after. Easy.

I got off the bus along with everyone else at the Laos border, except I was the only Farang and needed a "Visa on Arrival" which was issued at the office on the far left of the control area (big sign). I waited for around 20 minutes as there was no one inside the office. I walked around to find other staff, but no one was anywhere to be found. I finally walked into the adjacent office and asked a women cleaner if there is any staff around. She walked away and found an immigration officer who then got on his cell phone and called someone. After around 10 more minutes a guy in a suit and tie walked up to me and said "Visa?". He unlocked the Visa on Arrival office and walked in, and filled in the documentation for me as I gave him my passport and one photograph. He handed me a Lao arrival and departure card and said "fill it in", which I did. This process all up took around 10 minutes. I then got my passport back with my visa and walked through the immigration booth area. I went to get on the bus - but my bag was left next to a taxi and no bus in sight. Awesome. They left without me.

5. Yes passport and photograph. You can fill out an application form on the spot.

6. There are about five or six home made taxis waiting outside the immigration. They told me 300-500 baht to get to the central city I told them it was not a good deal and attempted to walk down towards town. After around 100m walking, three taxis followed me and their price reduced significantly. I couldn't get better than 200 baht, so just go with it. They are very poor and it's only a few bucks to us. The drive to the centre of town was around 12 minutes from the border. The consulate is right in town anyway, so about roughly the same distance., maybe a minute or two more.

7. The told me to pick up my documents around 3:30pm the same day but as I said earlier i arrived around 2:15 and got my documents by 2:30pm-ish. I then got a tuk-tuk to the Suvannakhet bus station for 100 baht. I arrived at the bus station around 2:50 and got my ticket back to Mukdahan. The bus left at 3:30pm and leaves every hour after that. I think the last bus was around 5:30pm if i remember right. I didn't get back to Mukdahan til around 4:30pm - so the process to get back was a lot longer as customs took their time searching the bus etc. I then got the 4:40pm bus to Udon Thani which was an exhausting 5 hours.

Hope this helps bud,

• Like 1

I don't think you can walk across the bridge actually. Maybe I am wrong, but it did not seem that way to me.

Correct, you cannot walk across the bridge, you must take the bus or your own vehicle (no motorbikes).

totster :)

• Like 1

Many thanks!

Hey Roykeanz

I know others have replied but i thought the more info you get the better, right?

1. Yes, the Thai border is right before the Friendship Bridge - takes about two minutes to get to the Laos Border Control area by bus / car.

2. I am uncertain of the hours etc of the Thai border side of things, but it took me and about 30 others around fifteen minutes to get through. No issues.

3. Yes you could walk across the bridge, no worries.

4. Not too certain on the Laos border times either sorry. I got to the Laos border on a bus from the Mukdahan bus station (took around 15 minutes to get to the border). I got to the border around 5pm. They dropped us off at Thai immigration and then we jumped back on after. Easy.

I got off the bus along with everyone else at the Laos border, except I was the only Farang and needed a "Visa on Arrival" which was issued at the office on the far left of the control area (big sign). I waited for around 20 minutes as there was no one inside the office. I walked around to find other staff, but no one was anywhere to be found. I finally walked into the adjacent office and asked a women cleaner if there is any staff around. She walked away and found an immigration officer who then got on his cell phone and called someone. After around 10 more minutes a guy in a suit and tie walked up to me and said "Visa?". He unlocked the Visa on Arrival office and walked in, and filled in the documentation for me as I gave him my passport and one photograph. He handed me a Lao arrival and departure card and said "fill it in", which I did. This process all up took around 10 minutes. I then got my passport back with my visa and walked through the immigration booth area. I went to get on the bus - but my bag was left next to a taxi and no bus in sight. Awesome. They left without me.

5. Yes passport and photograph. You can fill out an application form on the spot.

6. There are about five or six home made taxis waiting outside the immigration. They told me 300-500 baht to get to the central city I told them it was not a good deal and attempted to walk down towards town. After around 100m walking, three taxis followed me and their price reduced significantly. I couldn't get better than 200 baht, so just go with it. They are very poor and it's only a few bucks to us. The drive to the centre of town was around 12 minutes from the border. The consulate is right in town anyway, so about roughly the same distance., maybe a minute or two more.

7. The told me to pick up my documents around 3:30pm the same day but as I said earlier i arrived around 2:15 and got my documents by 2:30pm-ish. I then got a tuk-tuk to the Suvannakhet bus station for 100 baht. I arrived at the bus station around 2:50 and got my ticket back to Mukdahan. The bus left at 3:30pm and leaves every hour after that. I think the last bus was around 5:30pm if i remember right. I didn't get back to Mukdahan til around 4:30pm - so the process to get back was a lot longer as customs took their time searching the bus etc. I then got the 4:40pm bus to Udon Thani which was an exhausting 5 hours.

Hope this helps bud,

Brilliant stuff, KiwiBro!

Many thanks indeed for all that detailed info!

Everyone talks about going to Savannakhet as the best option. But can someone please help with the best (and cheapest) way to get there from Bangkok? I have been sitting here searching flights and it seems it is not cheap to fly there and by the looks of it, only one airline goes - Laos air & driving is about 633km. So please don't accuse me of not doing research on this. Any info would really be great. Thanks.

Everyone talks about going to Savannakhet as the best option. But can someone please help with the best (and cheapest) way to get there from Bangkok? I have been sitting here searching flights and it seems it is not cheap to fly there and by the looks of it, only one airline goes - Laos air & driving is about 633km. So please don't accuse me of not doing research on this. Any info would really be great. Thanks.

Check Nok Air and Air Asia for flights to Mukdahan. Both offer fly/ride service to to there via Nakhon Phanom that will drop you off at the bridge on their way there,

Then it is just it is just a matter of taking the bus across the bridge and then on into Savannakhet.

• Like 1

Hi Rinnie

Yes you are right. - it is rather expensive to travel to Suvannakhet.

The cheapest, most convenient (least draining) way I found to get there was this.

I flew Nok Air from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchatani and managed to get a one way ticket for around 1800THB. The reason why I did one way is because I live in Chiang Mai and was in Bangkok for a week prior anyway.

So once I was at the airport I caught a taxi for 60 baht to the bus station. Once at the bus station I paid 150 baht to get a mini van to Suvannakhet which took around 3 hours.

If you wanted to fly into Udon Thani it's about the same price or a little

Bit more expensive, but the bus ride is longer - around 5 hours.

Check Nok Air and Air Asia for flights to Mukdahan. Both offer fly/ride service to to there via Nakhon Phanom that will drop you off at the bridge on their way there,

Then it is just it is just a matter of taking the bus across the bridge and then on into Savannakhet.

Thanks so much Ubonjoe. Love my man, but i know that long in a car, one of us would end up walking (most likely him tongue.png) I will check into that option.

Well what an excellent read. I have had so many problems with my Visa, of which the stuffed up in Vientiene. I have just returned from Cambodia with a 15 day tourist visa. They said no "In-Out" I explained my situation and managed to speak to the boss who was very kind, as i explained my situation. I had all my doc's, marriage visa etc and sai i just needed to get a 15 day visa to sort out my problem. Which was they issued me a tourist visa in Laos last time as against a marriage visa which i wanted. So this visa trip to Savannakhet seems to be the answer. Even though i will get a 60 day extension at immigration in Chachoengsao where i live. I might add they are very helpful there.

I have one question is the visa apllication still the same as the original post.

Thanks again OP and for all the other continued comments on the post.

ALSO a big word of warning from the Boss at the Thai immigration Poipet/Sakeow border "NO in/out visa's" unless under special circumstances (mine), and it always pays well to be dressed well and be nice.

Cheers

I have one question is the visa apllication still the same as the original post.

Thanks again OP and for all the other continued comments on the post.

ALSO a big word of warning from the Boss at the Thai immigration Poipet/Sakeow border "NO in/out visa's" unless under special circumstances (mine), and it always pays well to be dressed well and be nice.

Cheers

Yes, the attached application form to be printed out back to back is still valid and up to date.

Why can I confirm this ? A good friend of mine (Brit) who followed my instructions to the point returned with a Multiple Non-O-Visa just last Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep up-to-date.

Got a non-O visa (spousal) in Savannakhet on August 28. Still no financial proof required. Still the same day (got the passport back at 15.30 without a queue).

Very good and fast work of the officials. thumbsup.gif

Just to keep up-to-date.

Got a non-O visa (spousal) in Savannakhet on August 28. Still no financial proof required. Still the same day (got the passport back at 15.30 without a queue).

Very good and fast work of the officials. thumbsup.gif

Single or multi entry ?

Don't think there is an airport at Mukdahan...

I flew into Nakhon Phanom and then you can use the fly/drive service provided by Nok and AA to get to Mukdahan, takes an hour ish.

I stayed 3 nights at Kiengpiman hotel. Not much to look at outside but good rooms and really nice owner that helps with everything. She speaks fluent English too if that is needed.

Have fun

It's a nice town...

Friendly people and some very good restaurants and bars.

Just around the corner from Kiengpiman hotel was one of the best places for Isaan food I have eaten, and across the street was a bar with live music.

If you want a bit more in the way of "takeout" then go to the Mukdahan Tower at night time, plenty of bars at the bottom with all sorts going on :)

The tower is worth a visit in the day time, 30 baht to go up and look at the view.

Indoctrinated market on the river is nice for a walk around, some good snacks.

Just go with the flow, chat with people and all will be revealed..

• Like 1

I stayed at the Riverfront 800b nice place and a good breakfast. Not much to do there good food and a few bars. One thing I did find was the lack of transport especially after 8pm. Mukdahan is a quiet country town. Catch the bus to Lao at 7am from the bus station 100b. I suggest downloading the Lao VOA form so you don't miss the bus when it stops at Thai Imm...they won't wait for you.

Where should I fly to Nakhon Phanom or Mukdahan looks like with flights I will have to overnight anyways since the flight arrives too late to get my documents in so where should I stay any suggestions welcomed