Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

If I left (me driving a car) Khon Kaen early in the morning, what is the latest recommended time I would need to be at the border in mukdahan ready to cross in order to get the visa same day? Is it possible do you think?

Can you park a car near where you would need to catch the bus across the border? Is it safe? Pay?

Would like to leave Khon Kaen early AM in order to assure getting across border in time to get visa same day, apply for visa, pick up visa that afternoon and then drive back to Khon Kaen same day. Google says it's almost 3.5 hours so it's not back and as for me I know that is okay.

Thoughts?

I would say you should not arrive any later than 9 am at the bridge. They would give you 2 hours until the 11 am cutoff time.

There is secure parking on the left side just before you get to the bridge. If I recall correctly from a report it 150 baht a day.

From there is is a short walk to where you can buy the bus ticket and clear Thai immigration.

awesome, thanks! will probably be doing that then.

my wife (thai) and son(thai/US) will probably be joining, what will they need at the border in order to cross, do you know?

awesome, thanks! will probably be doing that then.

my wife (thai) and son(thai/US) will probably be joining, what will they need at the border in order to cross, do you know?

If they have Thai passports they would get 30 day visa exempt entries.

If they don't have Thai passports they could normally get border passes by your wife showing her ID card and your child's birth certificate. But there have been reports that due to martial law that are not allowing crossings at Mukdahan with border passes.

They could try to get border passes. If not they could wait for you Mukdahan.

• Like 1

Quite a lot of invalid tips on this thread sinse new location of consulate.

It is not opposite side of road of old one but on the road going past the bus station heading towards bridge, if you walk out the bus station & turn left & keep walking on that road you will get to embassy (on left) in 15 minutes at the most, you will pass Li Kang hotel (on right & about a half way point)

Bus station tuk-tuk's charge 40baht a head & tend drop you at agents opposite the consulate who charge quite high fees for docs/ photos etc ( although if you gone unprepared then it could be handy !), they dress quite thai ! & I heard other peoples tales that they saying it part of consulate service & old consulate location hence tales of new consulsate opposite the old one.

You would be wise have photos, passport, doc copies all in advance & also download Lao visa form & consulate forms in advance making progress on the day simple.

Lao visa on arrival form (add to pdf for easier printing)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EIuXQSe0Ilw/TLaO0KCZeNI/AAAAAAAAAEE/pU4ROzUknmw/s1600/LaoVisaForm.jpg

Consulate visa application form

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=250297

I've only been once & caught 7am bus & walked to consulate just a little past 8:30am. consulate gate opens 8:30am but kiosk window for applications does not get opened till 9am (don't be pushy as saw couple people get bad service after rushing for prompt service) applications finish at 11am but it not busy at moment due to lack of real or working tourists etc :-)

Indeed visas in most cases are ready same day for collection between 3:30pm to 4:30pm.

No real need stay a night but would save rushing & you get see bit more or try local beer etc. Old comments on HoongThip hotel should be forgotten, was good due to being near consulates old location but besides that point it waste of time & money & better can be had for around 400Bt

Most decent VIP bus runs to Bangkok go from Mukadan 19:30 & 20:00 at earliest - Roi Et Tour (622Bt)

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 2

Just got back from Savanaket. Here are a few tips

Most comfotable way in from BKK (although not the cheapest or quickest) is to fly to Nakon Panom with Nok Air or Air Asia and get their shuttle bus service to Mukahan.

Stay in Muk 1st night. Get up early and leave central Muk before 8 (tuk tuk 150 to bridge 20mins or so) then get the bus (ticket counter on the left before passport control - you can't buy a ticket on the bus) 50b. I think it left the bridge at 830.

Bus takes just a few mins to cross the bridge. 10 mins or so to fill in paperwork for Lao visa (don't forget a pen) and pay in USD.

You can get on the bus again and head to the bus station (station is only 10-15 min walk or a short taxi ride to the consulate and I would probably do that if I ever went again by myself) or take a taxi for 200b straight to the consulate (which is what I did as I had never been there before I just wanted to be sure I was going to get there on time).

After you hand in your PP head to Chez Boon as there really is very little to do or see in Savanaket - it makes Mukdahan seem like New York or London. Chez Boon is a comfortable place with wifi and somewhere to charge your phone/Tablet etc. As another poster mentioned there is a nice masage place next door.

Get back to the consulate for 330pm, pick up the visa and 200b to the border by taxi. I think there is a bus at 4pm leaving to Thailand so if you are quick you could make it.

2nd night Stay in Muk again and then fly out the next day the same way you came in.

Mukdahan is a pleasant little town. There is a nice little steak restaurant with aircon on Samut Sakdarak 200 m or so north of Ban Rim Suan hotel. The name is 'Steak and Milk', desn't sound great but it was pretty good.

Edited by teatree
  • Like 1

@sceptict11

No need for a supermarket, go to French-biased Vientiane for instance and see what is available there in the shops. I love the Issan, but I also love Lao for its Farang restaurants/food and its very friendly people indeed.

@ubonjoe

I was in my last 15 permitted days to stay of my already expired previous Non-O-Visa and I secured those til their very end by a re-entry permit (done just after the Non-O had expired) in order to return to Thailand and extend that previous Non-O-Visa by a further 60 days based on my wife and in company of her to be done at any immigration office in Thailand.

If Savannakhet would not have worked, my plan was to extend as above, then switch to an extension based on retirement by an income letter that I had to get first.

I prefer however my present situation with the Non-O-Visa for reasons already mentioned.

My head is spinning.

You have to go through all this grief every year for the rest of your life?

No,but the other option is WORST: tell all your life, be victim of a police interview and show the photos of your room, bed and dirty sheets after crazy night.

Which option do you prefer ?

For me I will enjoy a trip abroad until the rest of my life if necessary instead of giving any private information to people who should be grateful that I stay and spend millions in their country every year !

Spends Millions EVERY year ! ...........smile.png BUT --------------------

Runs to Savannakhet for a "no show money " visa which requires an exit from country every 90 days ?

Makes sense !

Yes this does make sense. The OP is in the same situation as me, where he leaves the Kingdom often and the 90 day reporting is not suitable for us. If Im at work in the Gulf of Mexico how can I report to immigration if my 90 day reporting is needed. Also the Americans dont like you to fly to a none home country without a valid visa and an exit flight, out of Thailand. So the best way is to have the Non O visa, instead of an extension to stay.

• Like 1

Hi Joe:

Need your advice. Just in between jobs and cancelled old WP at One Stop service.

Now they give me until 28th to leave. My new WP (BOI) application is not finished yet no will be before 28th I imagine. So I am thinking of heading to Savannakhet Thursday and do the visa thing on Friday.

My question is I suppose I should be applying for a Non - B. Do you know what docs will be required - company stuff won't be a problem but what about something from BOI (letter?) to support my application? Will this be needed?

Thanks
James

Hi Joe:

Need your advice. Just in between jobs and cancelled old WP at One Stop service.

Now they give me until 28th to leave. My new WP (BOI) application is not finished yet no will be before 28th I imagine. So I am thinking of heading to Savannakhet Thursday and do the visa thing on Friday.

My question is I suppose I should be applying for a Non - B. Do you know what docs will be required - company stuff won't be a problem but what about something from BOI (letter?) to support my application? Will this be needed?

Thanks

James

In order to get the non-b you need a work permit application approval letter from the Labor Ministry (one stop office).

You should not need a BOI letter.

This from Vientiane website which is the same as is needed in Savannakhet.

"Non–Immigrant "B"

This type of visa is issued to applicant who wishes to enter the Kingdom for business purposes

Documents required are :

1. Recommendation letter from the employer addressed to the Embassy (stating about the employment and visa

application) and be accompanied with the certified copy of the ID of the endorser(s)

2. Employment contract

3. Form of the Employment Certification (Download Here)

4. Approval Letter from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare of Thailand or Copy of the current work permit

5. Copy of corporate documents, namely;

- company registration certificate

- list of company shareholders

- memorandum of company’s regulation

- latest income tax statement

- latest registration of value added tax

- the name list of current foreign employees "

Hi Joe:

Thanks

James

In order to get the non-b you need a work permit application approval letter from the Labor Ministry (one stop office).

You should not need a BOI letter.

This from Vientiane website which is the same as is needed in Savannakhet.

"Non–Immigrant "B"

This type of visa is issued to applicant who wishes to enter the Kingdom for business purposes

Documents required are :

1. Recommendation letter from the employer addressed to the Embassy (stating about the employment and visa

application) and be accompanied with the certified copy of the ID of the endorser(s)

2. Employment contract

3. Form of the Employment Certification (Download Here)

4. Approval Letter from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare of Thailand or Copy of the current work permit

5. Copy of corporate documents, namely;

- company registration certificate

- list of company shareholders

- memorandum of company’s regulation

- latest income tax statement

- latest registration of value added tax

- the name list of current foreign employees "

Hi Joe :

Thanks for that. I see one fly in the oinment so to speak. Work Permit Application approval letter - at this point in time the admin team is dealing with BOI on the position details etc - and no feedback on the approval yet. I understand this can take some time. So it's a no go with out the letter?

Failing this, could I get a non 0 based on marriage / children W/O financial seasoning stuff requirements that I currently cannot meet?

Guess what I am looking for is your best advice. If I can't get a letter from labor depart / BOI etc in time cause the approval hasn't come through by Thursday, would you suggest going for the non-o route instead.

Thanks again

James

You could get a single entry non-o visa based on marriage or having a Thai child. You can get the work permit and work with it. You could do the same with a multiple entry non-o. Or an extension of stay based upon marriage.

You could also get a 60 day extension to visit your wife or child.

Thanks Joe

Looks like the first option is the most simple... I need to review doc requirements (which) to take along.

AA flight booked for Thursday afternoon to Np.. Guess I need to figure out accom in Mud for two nights and so on.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, I am old and getting senile, but for the life of me I cannot find the new address of the Savannakhet Consulate.

Don't feel bad I have not been able to find it yet. All I have seen is a map and directions posted by members.

They have not updated the website.

Yes, I am old and getting senile, but for the life of me I cannot find the new address of the Savannakhet Consulate.

Don't feel bad I have not been able to find it yet. All I have seen is a map and directions posted by members.

They have not updated the website.

Could you link to the map please

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Yes this does make sense. The OP is in the same situation as me, where he leaves the Kingdom often and the 90 day reporting is not suitable for us. If Im at work in the Gulf of Mexico how can I report to immigration if my 90 day reporting is needed. Also the Americans dont like you to fly to a none home country without a valid visa and an exit flight, out of Thailand. So the best way is to have the Non O visa, instead of an extension to stay.

You only have to do a 90 day report if you are in Thailand for 90 days.

If you have an extension of stay and a rentry permit, no exit flight out of Thailand is needed, and in that case no visa is needed to enter Thailand.

If you have an extension of stay and a rentry permit, no exit flight out of Thailand is needed, and in that case no visa is needed to enter Thailand.

If my Non O expires in October, but I already have 90 days from when I entered 2 weeks ago, and valid till mid december, can I apply for extension to stay in November when I return from work? I will get a re-entry permit when I leave next week.

If my Non O expires in October, but I already have 90 days from when I entered 2 weeks ago, and valid till mid december, can I apply for extension to stay in November when I return from work? I will get a re-entry permit when I leave next week.

You can apply for your extension of stay after you return using the re-entry permit.

Your visa expiration date means nothing when applying for an extension of your permit to stay.

Is the new consulate open now? So no map?? Can anyone provide info from bus station pls?? Where, cost for samlor, time...

I had heard it is much closer into town, walking distance?

Anything new required?

Do I need update the kor ror 2?! Jeez, I hope not.

Working my way back on this thread now.

Is the new consulate open now? So no map?? Can anyone provide info from bus station pls?? Where, cost for samlor, time...

I had heard it is much closer into town, walking distance?

Anything new required?

Do I need update the kor ror 2?! Jeez, I hope not.

Working my way back on this thread now.

From earlier reports the consulate is about a 15 minute walk from the bus station. If you walk out of the bus station and turn left you will find the consulate.

Go to Google maps and search for 16°34'56.0"N 104°45'31.0"E .

A Kor Ror 2 is not required.

You can apply for your extension of stay after you return using the re-entry permit.

Your visa expiration date means nothing when applying for an extension of your permit to stay.

Ubonjoe, thanks for the info, I will apply for an extension to stay when I get back from work mid November.

Phil

can I apply for extension to stay in November when I return from work? Yes

I will get a re-entry permit when I leave next week. No you will not. If you leave without one your extension of stay will be canceled.

You can buy a rentry permit before you leave. A single rentry permit costs ฿1,000 at immigration offices. I think it is more at main airports ฿2,000?. Not every international airport has an office for you to buy the re-entry permit.

I will get a re-entry permit when I leave next week. No you will not. If you leave without one your extension of stay will be canceled.

You can buy a rentry permit before you leave. A single rentry permit costs ฿1,000 at immigration offices. I think it is more at main airports ฿2,000?. Not every international airport has an office for you to buy the re-entry permit.

I dont understand what you mean here. "No you will not. If you leave without one your extension of stay will be canceled". I dont have an extension of stay to cancel.

I dont understand what you mean here. "No you will not. If you leave without one your extension of stay will be canceled". I dont have an extension of stay to cancel.

You have a permission to stay until mid December. That will be canceled when you leave unless you buy a re-entry permit.

If you enter after your visa expires you can't use the visa.

When you enter Thailand you use one entry of your visa then you get a permission to stay. If you have a single entry visa then it is finished.

When you leave Thailand any permission to stay or extension of stay is canceled. Unless you have a single or multi re-entry permit.

Thai visas are different from those of almost every other country, as they only give you permission to enter.

At the time you enter you are given permission to stay.

So with a Thai visa you can stay after it expires. The best being an Non O-A which can give you almost 24 months for a 1 year visa.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed one quote to fix broken quote (4 is maximum number of quotes allowed)
  • Like 1

From earlier reports the consulate is about a 15 minute walk from the bus station. If you walk out of the bus station and turn left you will find the consulate.

Go to Google maps and search for 16°34'56.0"N 104°45'31.0"E .

Absolutely correct and for those who still do not know where to go here I attach a file with some local Google coordinates

Savannakhet Coordinates.txt

• Like 2