Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

Great report, very informative. Thanks for posting

Yes, but don't you get your visa the same day if you hand in the criteria before 10am and pick it up around 3pm?

The same day visas did not start until couple of months ago. That post is from January.

If you get your application (or at least have a number) done by 11 am you get your passport back at 3:30 pm.

Thanks Joe, I did not notice the date, I will be there on Mon 15th Dec.

Hi All,

I just read throught this thread and have a question.

1.Can one get a single or multiple entry visa at Savannakhet if they are NOT married to a Thai?

2.If so, will financial requirements have to be shown?

Here's my situation.

I arrived in BKK August 11 on a 30 VOA. I went to the US Embassy to apply for a new passport.

I then entered Bumrungrad Hospital for major surgery. I stayed at the hospital for 27 days. While there, the hospital extended my visa for medical reasons until Nov.4.

I am out of the hospital and living in Ubon. (love it here!) My lady friend and I went to Ubon immigration 6 Oct. and applied for change of passport (got that) and for a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa.

They took a look at my old passport and first told us that we had to go to Bangkok to change to the new passport. I told them that Bangkok said we could do it here because this is where we live.

Another, more senior officer, came over and said they could take care of everything there. After 6 hours of running around getting stamps on certificates and multiple copies taken, they told us that everything had to be sent to Korat to be looked at there. They stated that this was new policy and there was nothing they could do. (They made us make so many of the same copies over and over again because they would lose the copies moving them from one desk to another!)

Well, Immigration called us yesterday to tell us that Korat needed my bank statements. I reminded them that they sent my original signed US Embassy letter affirming that I was getting $3250 every month. And that I didn't have a Thai bank account yet so how could I show them?

Then the woman immigration officer said on the phone to just go to Savannkhet and get a Non-O visa there. She said it would be easy.

Hence, my original question. Can I easily get a Non-O visa there without my original copy of the embassy letter? I do have a copy of it, but I don't want to have to tell the folks at the consulate my whole convoluted story.

It seems to me that with all of the changes being made to policy and that possibly certain immigration offices who don't know or don't care to know what to do, that things are way up in the air as to what one really needs to do.

I have doctors appointments scheduled for follow ups Nov 7, 17, and Dec. 26. So I need to get something to be able to stay here.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi All,

1.Can one get a single or multiple entry visa at Savannakhet if they are NOT married to a Thai?

Here's my situation.

I arrived in BKK August 11 on a 30 VOA. I went to the US Embassy to apply for a new passport.

I then entered Bumrungrad Hospital for major surgery. I stayed at the hospital for 27 days. While there, the hospital extended my visa for medical reasons until Nov.4.

I am out of the hospital and living in Ubon. (love it here!) My lady friend and I went to Ubon immigration 6 Oct. and applied for change of passport (got that) and for a Non-Quota Immigrant Visa.

They took a look at my old passport and first told us that we had to go to Bangkok to change to the new passport. I told them that Bangkok said we could do it here because this is where we live.

Another, more senior officer, came over and said they could take care of everything there. After 6 hours of running around getting stamps on certificates and multiple copies taken, they told us that everything had to be sent to Korat to be looked at there. They stated that this was new policy and there was nothing they could do. (They made us make so many of the same copies over and over again because they would lose the copies moving them from one desk to another!)

Well, Immigration called us yesterday to tell us that Korat needed my bank statements. I reminded them that they sent my original signed US Embassy letter affirming that I was getting $3250 every month. And that I didn't have a Thai bank account yet so how could I show them?

Then the woman immigration officer said on the phone to just go to Savannkhet and get a Non-O visa there. She said it would be easy.

Hence, my original question. Can I easily get a Non-O visa there without my original copy of the embassy letter? I do have a copy of it, but I don't want to have to tell the folks at the consulate my whole convoluted story.

It seems to me that with all of the changes being made to policy and that possibly certain immigration offices who don't know or don't care to know what to do, that things are way up in the air as to what one really needs to do.

I have doctors appointments scheduled for follow ups Nov 7, 17, and Dec. 26. So I need to get something to be able to stay here.

Thanks,

Doug

I am surprised they allowed you to apply for non immigrant visa (not a non quota immigrant visa) normally they tell people to go to Bangkok or Savannakhet. They sent it to Korat for approval and sign off because they have no officer in Phibun that can do it.

You can get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over in Savannakhet. They will want to see the original of your income affidavit. But will accept a copy attached to the application.

I suggest you ask the office to send the original back from Korat.

Hi All,

Here's my situation.

Thanks,

Doug

I am surprised they allowed you to apply for non immigrant visa (not a non quota immigrant visa) normally they tell people to go to Bangkok or Savannakhet. They sent it to Korat for approval and sign off because they have no officer in Phibun that can do it.

You can get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over in Savannakhet. They will want to see the original of your income affidavit. But will accept a copy attached to the application.

I suggest you ask the office to send the original back from Korat.

Ubonjoe,

Thanks for your reply. I misstated above. I did apply for a non quota immigrant visa.

I wonder how long it will take them to send me the original income affidavit back from Korat? I am getting a little bit pressed for time. I'd prefer not to fly to BKK just to get another affidavit.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I know many here on TV fully appreciate it.

About the overtime fee, I suspect that it is similar to what is done at the first Friendship bridge in Vientiane. You are charged an US$ 1 overtime fee (maybe it's 40 baht too there for people who cannot pay this fee in US dollars) if you are entering Laos before 8 am or after 4 pm, or anytime on saturdays, sundays, and during public holidays.

I recently did a 'visa run' at Savannakhet and didn't pay any overtime fee. I paid my visa on arrival for Laos in US dollars (that was US$ 30 in my case as I am a French national) and didn't have to argue nor bargain with anyone.

The only 'overtime fee' that I had to pay was an additional 5 baht for my return 'international bus' ticket (55 baht instead of 50) when I came back from Laos at about 4:30 pm, but it's the normal practice (it's clearly stated at the 'international bus' cashier desk on the Laos side that the standard fare is 13000 kip, but 14000 kip during overtime periods).

I would just add another point for those who are going to take a 'samlor' (or 'tuk-tuk' if you prefer) in Savannakhet from the bus station to the Royal Thai Consulate (at its new location), it's a very short fare and you should not pay more than 20 baht (or 5000 kip) per person (you might have to share the vehicle with one or two other passengers though). At the bus station, most 'samlor' drivers will try to get much more than this (starting from 100 baht for this fare!), but it's not too difficult to get a much more reasonable price.

By the way, the new location of the Royal Thai Consulate is at about 15 or 20 mn by walk from the bus station (it's on the main road on the left when you are exiting the bus station).

I have crossed so many times now it is kinda a blur, but I do remember crossing into Vientianne at night I paid the fee and was given a receipt. I really have no problem with this at all. People are working overtime or after hours, it seems perhaps even more than reasonable. Hell, I'd pay more.

But, when they charge the same fee in the middle of the day, and dont give you a receipt, I have a problem with that. It is more of a legitimacy issue for them. Why scam people and get a single dollar? It makes them look bad and they dont get much. I just think we should all attempt to not pay these fees when they are not legit, which is when no receipt is given.

Last time I was crossing back into Mukdahan was where I was charged the 40 baht with no receipt by the way. Next time I do this I will not pay it.

Thanks for telling us, just let them dare ask me for any money.

I just renewed a non O marriage with all paperwork and here's some general thoughts/tips.

I went via Airasia from BKK to Nakon Phamom, then transferred to airasia bus to Muk It's a 2 hour van ride from Nakon Phanom to Mukdahan over a road that is sometimes OK, and sometimes really bumpy. To catch the van, merely walk outside the Nakon Phanom terminal and you can clearly see the van with the Airasia logo.

The Airasia van will drop you off wherever you want in Mukdahan.

The actual pickup and dropoff location for the Airasia bus is the Riverfront hotel. On Airasia ticketing, they don't give you this information, merely that you are transferring to Mukdahan.

The bus over the bridge from Muk to Savanaket leaves from the bus station which is about 5-7 K away from the bridge. It also leaves once an hour on the half hour. I caught the 8:30 and was at the Thai "consulate" at 9:30 with only two or three people in the queue. Took maybe 5 minutes to hand in paperwork and pay.

As others have said, head to Cafe Bourne for some food, then get a two hour massage next door to kill some time. After this, head down to the River which is 600 metres away from the Cafe. Here you can find a lot of riverside restaurants serving up food along with nice big cold tasty bottles of Beer Lao. I ended up paying 40 baht for a large bottle while watching the River pass by.

Went back to the consulate at 3 and that's when the doors opened up. By 3:05 I had my new visa and was back at the border by 3:15.

There is a minimart next to Cafe Bourne and in it they stock a nice nectar called Beer Lao Gold. A small bottle is 10K kip, or about 40 baht and it is highly recommended beverage. Wish I would have purchased a couple more!

post-46196-0-40957400-1413526597_thumb.j

• Like 1

Is there any hotel/guesthouse to stay for few hours near to Thai Consulate?

I saw a few (looking cheap) ones (at least two) between the bus station in Savannakhet and the new Royal Thai Consulate (on the same side of the road), but they are far from being luxurious, to say the least. It might be convenient enough though for a few hours stay, but I haven't checked them yet.

I took that van last month and it was just over an hour.

Yeah me too .. Mine was spot on 1 hour 30 mins, by the time he ran around Mukdahan picking up/dropping off from the other designated spots.

The departure from the Riverside hotel was bang on time .. I got to hand it to AirAsia for once, this is a top service .. Van was nice, never more than half full on both legs, the driver polite and well turned out. Yeah the road was bumpy at times, but the driver was safe.

Probably the best van service I have had the pleasure of in all my time here.

Looks like the Thai Consulate Savannahket Laos has moved into their new location.

http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/contact/

lao-address-en.gif

Address:

No.9 Road Ban Huameuang N, Kaysone Phomvihane District, Savannakhet Province, Lao PDR,

Contact Address: P.O.Box 513 Kaysone Phomvihane District, Savannakhet Province, Lao PDR.
Royal Thai Consulate-General P.O.Box 22 Muang District, Mukdahan, Thailand 49000 Telephone (Lao): (856-41) 212-373, (856-41) 252-080 Facsimile: (856-41) 252-078, (856-41) 212-370 E-mail: [email protected] Office Hours: 8.30 – 16.30 hours Monday-Friday (except Thai & Lao Official Holidays) Visa Application Hours: 09.00 – 11.00 hours Monday-Friday Visa Collection Hours: 15.30-16.00 hours on the same day (From 30 June 2014)

map-pop%20up%20New.jpg

Edited by khwaibah

Hi,

I plan to go to Savannakhet, but I have a doubt about my passeport, in my passeport,

I used a lot of extension 60 days visiting thai wife, and 1 month extension, in cambodia border,

so I would like to know, if it is possible for me, to get the visa marriage no immigrant 0 multiple entry, in Savannakhet

without visa in my passeport.?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I plan to go to Savannakhet, but I have a doubt about my passeport, in my passeport,

I used a lot of extension 60 days visiting thai wife, and 1 month extension, in cambodia border,

so I would like to know, if it is possible for me, to get the visa marriage no immigrant 0 multiple entry, in Savannakhet

without visa in my passeport.?

Yes, You don't need a Thai visa to apply for a Thai visa.

I asked you this, because, I heard that it was necessary to come in at first in Thailand with a 1 year visa obtained in its birth country,

for to be able to ask for a 1 year visa marriage nom immigrant o multiple entry, to a Thai embassy around the Thailand as Savannakhet in Laos for example.

Hi,

so I would like to know, if it is possible for me, to get the visa marriage non immigrant 0 multiple entry, in Savannakhet

Without any old Thai visa in my passport

I asked you this, because, I heard that it was necessary to come in at first in Thailand with a 1 year visa obtained in its birth country,

for to be able to ask for a 1 year visa marriage non immigrant o multiple entry, to a Thai embassy around the Thailand as Savannakhet in Laos for example.

Thanks in advance.

HI,

If I am married with a Thai wife With all the proofs of the marriage , but I have less than 50 years old, and I don't have 400000 Baht at the bank,

can I obtain the Non immigrant Marriage o Visa in Savannakhet ?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

HI,

If I am married with a Thai wife With all the proofs of the marriage , but I have less than 50 years old, and I don't have 400000 Baht at the bank,

can I obtain the Non immigrant Marriage o Visa in Savannakhet ?

As answered above already.

Hi,

so I would like to know, if it is possible for me, to get the visa marriage non immigrant 0 multiple entry, in Savannakhet

for to be able to ask for a 1 year visa marriage non immigrant o multiple entry, to a Thai embassy around the Thailand as Savannakhet in Laos for example.

Thanks in advance.

No, you don't need to already have a 1 year non-immigrant O visa prior to request another 1 year non-immigrant O visa at the Thai Royal Consulate in Savannakhet.

I got one very recently (end of September 2014) and I am in my mid-forties. I didn't have to show any proof of finances.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

You visa and extension history will have no effect on you getting a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage,

There is no requirement that you get your visa from you home country unless you are from a country that has to get all visas from there,

The Savannakhet consulate does n't seem to have an English language page, but the Vientianne embassy website lists the requirements for a non-O visa as :

For the purpose of long-stay retirement (an eligible person must be over 50 years of age), documents required are;
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate certifying the monthly income of at least 65,000 Baht
or Official letter from the Bank in Thailand certifying a valid account of at least 800,000 Baht, and is being held
not less than 3 months
3. Recent Police clearance or equivalent reference of no criminal conviction
4. Medical certificate

But are n't 1,3,4 only for O-A from your home country ? Surely you do not need them for an ordinary non-O which you will later use for a retirement extension ? You only need #2, right ?

The Savannakhet consulate does n't seem to have an English language page, but the Vientianne embassy website lists the requirements for a non-O visa as :

For the purpose of long-stay retirement (an eligible person must be over 50 years of age), documents required are;

1. Curriculum Vitae

2. Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate certifying the monthly income of at least 65,000 Baht

or Official letter from the Bank in Thailand certifying a valid account of at least 800,000 Baht, and is being held

not less than 3 months

3. Recent Police clearance or equivalent reference of no criminal conviction

4. Medical certificate

But are n't 1,3,4 only for O-A from your home country ? Surely you do not need them for an ordinary non-O which you will later use for a retirement extension ? You only need #2, right ?

That is for Laotians to get a OA visa.

A recent report stated that Savannakhet wanted a bank statement to prove the income along with the income letter. A bank book showing 800k baht will satisfy them also.

• Like 1

Now, this is perplexing:

post-33251-0-80930900-1414307552_thumb.p

If the 2130 bus from Pattaya leaves Yasothon at 0900 and Umnatcharoen (Amnat Charoen?) at 0955, what time does it really arrive Mukdahan? Does it go to Mukdahan first?

As a follow-up, I just did the Pattaya-Mukdahan-Savannahket round-trip on 22-25October. That online schedule for the Yellow Bus is mainly a work of fiction: There are not two daily buses, only one, at 1900. We arrived at Mukdahan at 1010, which is clearly too late to make it to the consulate in Savannakhet the same day before 1100. There did not seem to be enroute delays -- the bus trundled along at a healthy speed the entire way, except for two stops for gas and the short stops at a few bus stations near the beginning and end of the route.

I had downloaded the Lao Visa-on-Arrival application form linked earlier in this thread, and it was accepted. However, there is a second form, very similar to the Thai TM.6 form, that also needs to be completed. Like the TM.6 you must keep the departure half of the form with you and submit it when you depart Laos.

In case your passport is getting full, be aware that the Lao Visa-on-Arrival takes a full passport page, as does the visa issued by the Thai Consulate in Savannahket.

The Thai-Lao "International Bus" which takes you across the bridge for B45, did not wait for the non-Thai/non-Lao travelers. We shared a taxi into Savannakhet. It was either that, or wait an hour for the next bus. I estimate it took us about 15 minutes to complete Lao Immigrations formalities. It wasn't *that* long to wait, was it? ermm.gif

At least as of 23-October-2014, the first "International Bus" from the Mukdahan bus station is now 0700, and the next one is at 0745:

post-33251-0-43035800-1414307314_thumb.j

Now, this is perplexing:

attachicon.gifPattaya-Mukdahan-bus-skj.01.png

If the 2130 bus from Pattaya leaves Yasothon at 0900 and Umnatcharoen (Amnat Charoen?) at 0955, what time does it really arrive Mukdahan? Does it go to Mukdahan first?

As a follow-up, I just did the Pattaya-Mukdahan-Savannahket round-trip on 22-25October. That online schedule for the Yellow Bus is mainly a work of fiction: There are not two daily buses, only one, at 1900. We arrived at Mukdahan at 1010, which is clearly too late to make it to the consulate in Savannakhet the same day before 1100. There did not seem to be enroute delays -- the bus trundled along at a healthy speed the entire way, except for two stops for gas and the short stops at a few bus stations near the beginning and end of the route.

I had downloaded the Lao Visa-on-Arrival application form linked earlier in this thread, and it was accepted. However, there is a second form, very similar to the Thai TM.6 form, that also needs to be completed. Like the TM.6 you must keep the departure half of the form with you and submit it when you depart Laos.

In case your passport is getting full, be aware that the Lao Visa-on-Arrival takes a full passport page, as does the visa issued by the Thai Consulate in Savannahket.

The Thai-Lao "International Bus" which takes you across the bridge for B45, did not wait for the non-Thai/non-Lao travelers. We shared a taxi into Savannakhet. It was either that, or wait an hour for the next bus. I estimate it took us about 15 minutes to complete Lao Immigrations formalities. It wasn't *that* long to wait, was it? ermm.gif

At least as of 23-October-2014, the first "International Bus" from the Mukdahan bus station is now 0700, and the next one is at 0745:

attachicon.gifintl_bus.jpg

Did the trip from Pattaya to Mukdahan last week - there are 8 buses daily.

There are 2 routes from Pattaya to Mukdahan - over Yasothon and over Roi-Et

According to the staff at the counter the standard bus needs about 14 hours via both routes. The VIP-bus is faster, but starts too late to get to the Consulate before 11 am.

Departures to Mukdahan from North-Pattaya station (Yellow bus) - only the last bus is a VIP:

Pattaya-Yasotorn-Mukdahan: 8:00 / 18:15 / 20:15 / 21:30 (VIP)

Pattaya-Roiet-Mukdahan: 9:00 / 18:00 / 20:00 / 21:00 (VIP)

I took the 18:00 bus and arrived in Mukdahan at 9:30 - 2 minutes later the border-bus to Savannakhet started. If I would have missed this one, it would have been to late for the consulate (next bus at 10:30).

post-142706-0-33796700-1414463072_thumb.

Edited by noni99

Good thing you departed Pattaya earlier. I took the 2100 VIP bus from Pattaya via Buriram & Roiet and didn't get to Mukdahan until after 1000, which makes it impossible to get to the Thai consulate in Savannakhet before 1100.

(If only the last bus is a VIP, why is "(VIP)" included on both the 21:00 and 21:30 schedule lines?) Never mind, you meant the last bus on each routing, right?

Edited by wpcoe

Just looking over the downloaded Visa Application Form .....

#5 " Name and address and Telephone no of a Guarantor in Thailand "

Can anyone confirm if this Is really required please ? Also, if doing the day return trip I assume #2 "Present/Permanent address in Lao PDR " should be left blank ?

Thanks