Blacklane Limousine Meeting Point at Suvarnabhumi

DogNo1

I have reserved a Blacklane Mercedes E-Class for my arrival on the night of January 20th. My instructions are to meet the driver at Gate 3 on Level 2 or call a telephone number in Germany. I don't yet have a working phone for Thailand so I can't call that number. I've looked carefully at several maps of Level 2. All I can see is the two exits from customs: one smaller and one larger. I had hoped that my driver would just be standing outside one the those exits from customs holding up a card with my name on it. Does anyone have experience with Blacklane at BKK? Could anyone kindly tell me where Gate 3 or the pickup point is? I've written two messages to Blacklane but have yet to receive a reply. Any help will be much appreciated.

You driver will likely be right by the exit from customs (make sure you turn right), there's a sort of corral for reps and drivers.

If he's not there the meeting point which is (IIRC) by gate 3 is well signposted. Do not go up or down and walk with the road to your left (but stay inside the building) and you cannot miss it, it has the international 'meeting point' sign.

It is possible he may not have your name on a board, especially as they have told you to go to door 3. The one's within the corral that you'll pass on the way there are "official" taxis and hotel shuttle pick-ups. Door 3 is the only place the public can get to to meet arriving passengers and that's where the unofficial drivers will be found. A driver told me recently that "they" were clamping down on the unofficial taxis to and from the airport, he now drops me in the car park and waits for me at the car park entrance.

That would be disappointing because one of the reasons I am using Blacklane is so that I don't have to wrestle my suitcases down the escalator and to the taxi queue. If I have to carry my own luggage a long way that would make it not worth my while to use a limousine service in the future. Many years past I used to use the cars touted near the customs exit to Don Muang and later Suvarnabhumi only to find that the tout wasn't a driver at all and wasn't willing to help me with my bags but just lead me to a distant location where the car was parked. I simply wasn't interested in paying much more for a better-looking car without the service that should have gone with it, so I started just going to the taxi queue. If Blacklane isn't an official service and if they aren't reasonably near the exit to customs to help me with my bags, I'll report back on this forum. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure how many bags you are travelling with, but luggage trolleys are available by the baggage carousels. They are the fairly standard airport ones, and will easily take 2-3 large cases.

From the exit after Thai Customs it's a 2-3 hundred yards/metres walk to the meeting point at Door 3, IIRC there is a distance countdown every 50 metres or so on the ceiling-mounted signs. Shortly before you get to the actual Meeting Point at Door 3 you will start to see hordes of limo and taxi drivers standing to both sides of the walkway holding up names. I use a limo service regularly without any issues. If all of the "unofficial" taxis and limos had been excluded from picking up in the terminal, the ensuing chaos would have made the world news, not to mention hundreds of forum posts on TV!

Edited to add: Assuming that you are carrying a mobile and do not want to pay roaming charges, there are plenty of mobile service provider companies willing to sel you a Thai SIM card with stands between the exit into the terminal and Door 3, in the event that you cannot find your driver.

Edited by LincsLad

LincsLad: In the chart that yermanee sent me, the meeting point seemed to be very close to the exit from customs. When I have come out of customs in the past, the people with signs have been within 25 yards of the exit on both sides. As you say, I'll have my three bags on a trolley so I'll be able to push them 300 meters if necessary but I'm surprised that it is that far. Thanks for the info.

LincsLad: I had been thinking of buying a SIM card for my new Nexus 4 but wouldn't the prices at the airport be more expensive than MBK? Also, I'm not sure what kind of SIM card I would need to call that number in Germany.

LincsLad: I had been thinking of buying a SIM card for my new Nexus 4 but wouldn't the prices at the airport be more expensive than MBK? Also, I'm not sure what kind of SIM card I would need to call that number in Germany.

Ask Blacklane to give you a Thai telephone number that you can call if need be.

Don't be discouraged by alarmist members. I have been picked up by my limousine service numerous times including just 3 weeks ago.

Yermanee wai.gif

I am finally in Bangkok after a very pleasant flight on Thai's A380. The service in first class was impeccable and the in-flight entertainment was high quality. I was able to see two films that I enjoyed: Riddick and The Butler. When we got to the gate, it took the ground crew some time to line the portal up with the door so we didn't step off the plane until 11:00. The golf cart whisked us to immigration and it only took five minutes to get through. A ground hostess and a porter accompanied me to carousel 7 and my bags were among the first ten on the belt. The porter loaded up my bags and we hurried through customs and got to Meeting Point 3 twenty minutes late for my 11:00 appointment with Blacklane. Nobody was there holding up a sign with my name on it. We searched out each and every sign there. Nothing. We then retraced our steps to the exit from immigration, carefully looking at each sign. Nothing. We then slowly worked our way back to Meeting Point 3, carefully looking at each sign along the way. Nothing. The porter then asked me if I had a phone number but all I had was the one in Germany since no number had reached me before I left Tokyo. It was now 11:40 and I was wondering whether I should just give up and go to the meter-taxi stand. The porter stopped to consult with a man at the tourist information booth. After a few minutes, I decided to make one more pass through the sign-holders and discovered a slim young woman holding a sign with my name on it. She looked irritated and said that she had been waiting for me. I guess that she thought that she could get away with her lie since I came from the direction of the exit from customs. She said that she had been waiting for a long time. She hadn't. I called the porter who had now spent 30 minutes with me and had taken calls to pick up other passengers' luggage. She then lead us out of the terminal to an oldish Mercedes in the far lane of traffic passing the terminal. As I had expected, there was no help with my luggage and if I hadn't had the help of the Thai Airways porter, I would have been struggling with the three large bags and my carry-on myself. There was nary a word of apology from the young woman or the driver. At least I got to my hotel without delay. The protestors kindly opened the barriers to let us through. So once again I paid three to four times the cost of a meter-taxi for a slightly better looking car but much worse service. In my opinion, Blacklane is HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL. I recommend that TVers not give even a passing thought to using a Blacklane car. If you must have a limousine, then take one of the cars at the airport that is ready to go. Better yet, take a meter taxi. Avoid Blacklane at all costs. Save yourself the higher cost and greater aggravation.

I was about to post on why the OP hadn't considered using one of AoT's own fleet of clean cars instead of some dodgy 'Blacklane' service that doesn't even have a local contact number. I just knew this would end in tears.

When not self-driving, I use AoT limo's and they ALWAYS offer to take your bags or trolley and ALWAYS load the bags into the car for you. Drivers are mostly polite, courteous and efficient. They have a service desk in the baggage claim area so I usually book the car while waiting for the bags. Present the ticket to their desk on the other side of Customs and they walk you to the cars around Door 5 so not so far to walk either.

Have a nice holiday!

Thanks, Nanlaew. I think I'll try that next time. I assume that their cars are already on location near door 5 and if they will take over my trolley for me, that will be great. What are their charges like?

Today I received an invoice from Blacklane for the charge to my credit card of 0,00. Apparently they did not charge me for the ride. I'll have to confirm this with Chase but it seems that the ride was free. If so, it was the right thing for them to do. I have not yet received any reply to my complaint. If I do, I'll post the results.

I received a message from Blacklane today saying that there was no explanation for the late pickup from the airport. They said that they realize that this is unacceptable so they would not charge me for the ride and sent a voucher for $15 off from my next booking with them. In a separate message they offered 30% off of bookings made by a certain date. My understanding of "no explanation" means "no change," hence no improvement in their service.

Indeed, a driver not being on time to pick up a passenger is unacceptable.

I used Blacklane twice this January:

First arriving Don Mueang, meet driver at gate 2, which is far out to the right.

We both were right on time, the unfortunate thing was the driver took 10 minutes to get his Toyota Camry from some parking lot.

Otherwise a fine ride.

I decided to book Blacklane on the way back (my hotel asking 2200THB for a Benz E)

Appointment at 11am and driver walked in at 11.00 precisely.

Again a nice ride, no complaints, price 30usd for airport pick-up and 25usd hotel pick-up.

Now if an AOT limo is not much more expensive (say 40usd) I might use them, although flying out/in on Etihad business class next trip has limo thrown in biggrin.png

Edit: arriving at hotel and connecting my ipad I got mail confirming driver's arrival (1.5h after airport arrival), nothing on my phone.

Departing found gsm message confirming driver's arrival at destination, seems these messages took 90 minutes to get to me....

Edited by tartempion

Please read my comments as well as tartemption's. Besides my ride being quite late at the airport there seem to be problems with Blacklane drivers accessing their cars and the company messaging the arrival of their drivers. As with tartemption, the message sent to my email announcing the driver's arrival was about 90 minutes late. Of course I couldn't have received it at the airport anyway as there is no WiFi on the second floor. I did not have a cell phone that would work at the time since Japanese phones don't work in Thailand. I do have a working phone now with an AIS SIM but I wonder if that would even have helped me on Monday evening since their messages appear to be quite delayed and vitally, in my case, I didn't receive the number of the driver's cell phone until after I had already left Japan. It all seems quite dodgy to me. If some TVers are happy with the price and resultant level of service they may want to use Blacklane. For me, AOT or even a meter-taxi would be preferable. Why pay for extra for convenience that you don't get? Late arrival times, late messages and remotely parked cars don't result in convenience in my opinion.

Never tried these guys myself, but got this link from some previous TV threads, which highly recommended the service:

http://www.bangkokflightservices.com/PremiumAirportServices.php

If anyone can comment on their experiences, I'd appreciate it. Thinking of using them whenever I have visitors from abroad.

Have used them several times for arriving friends. I am more than happy with the level of service they provide.

I have booked them already for friends arriving next month, and also for their departure including lounge.

Can thoroughly recommend.

Yermanee wai.gif

BFS and Blacklane appear to be different companies. After looking at the website, it seems that BFS is affiliated with the AOT Limousine Service.

What intrigues me about BFS is that they meet you at the gate and walk you all the way through immigration, to your ride. Hard to get lost or confused...

They also hold out a "special pre-arranged channel" through immigration. And they will arrange an AOT limo for you if that's what you want. Once again, hard to get turned around or go to the wrong door if there's someone guiding you.

I do wonder how they'd handle things if you have already arranged a Merc limo through Blacklane..

Edited by impulse

I am finally in Bangkok after a very pleasant flight on Thai's A380. The service in first class was impeccable and the in-flight entertainment was high quality. I was able to see two films that I enjoyed: Riddick and The Butler. When we got to the gate, it took the ground crew some time to line the portal up with the door so we didn't step off the plane until 11:00. The golf cart whisked us to immigration and it only took five minutes to get through. A ground hostess and a porter accompanied me to carousel 7 and my bags were among the first ten on the belt. The porter loaded up my bags and we hurried through customs and got to Meeting Point 3 twenty minutes late for my 11:00 appointment with Blacklane. Nobody was there holding up a sign with my name on it. We searched out each and every sign there. Nothing. We then retraced our steps to the exit from immigration, carefully looking at each sign. Nothing. We then slowly worked our way back to Meeting Point 3, carefully looking at each sign along the way. Nothing. The porter then asked me if I had a phone number but all I had was the one in Germany since no number had reached me before I left Tokyo. It was now 11:40 and I was wondering whether I should just give up and go to the meter-taxi stand. The porter stopped to consult with a man at the tourist information booth. After a few minutes, I decided to make one more pass through the sign-holders and discovered a slim young woman holding a sign with my name on it. She looked irritated and said that she had been waiting for me. I guess that she thought that she could get away with her lie since I came from the direction of the exit from customs. She said that she had been waiting for a long time. She hadn't. I called the porter who had now spent 30 minutes with me and had taken calls to pick up other passengers' luggage. She then lead us out of the terminal to an oldish Mercedes in the far lane of traffic passing the terminal. As I had expected, there was no help with my luggage and if I hadn't had the help of the Thai Airways porter, I would have been struggling with the three large bags and my carry-on myself. There was nary a word of apology from the young woman or the driver. At least I got to my hotel without delay. The protestors kindly opened the barriers to let us through. So once again I paid three to four times the cost of a meter-taxi for a slightly better looking car but much worse service. In my opinion, Blacklane is HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL. I recommend that TVers not give even a passing thought to using a Blacklane car. If you must have a limousine, then take one of the cars at the airport that is ready to go. Better yet, take a meter taxi. Avoid Blacklane at all costs. Save yourself the higher cost and greater aggravation.

Well you came out top dog in one respect..dullest and most self absorbed posting for 2014..

BFS and Blacklane appear to be different companies. After looking at the website, it seems that BFS is affiliated with the AOT Limousine Service.

What intrigues me about BFS is that they meet you at the gate and walk you all the way through immigration, to your ride. Hard to get lost or confused...

They also hold out a "special pre-arranged channel" through immigration. And they will arrange an AOT limo for you if that's what you want. Once again, hard to get turned around or go to the wrong door if there's someone guiding you.

I do wonder how they'd handle things if you have already arranged a Merc limo through Blacklane..

If you give them the phone number of the company you rented from they'll contact them for a smoother meet-up, and guide you to the driver.Couldn't be more simple.

Top notch service.

Yermanee wai.gif

I agree that the post was long and perhaps uninteresting for some readers. I had wanted to make a full report of my experience with Blacklane as I had promised some posters who had offered me tips. Cheers!

yermanee: Is there a local number for Blacklane? I never received it and the tourist information booth couldn't find it. I only received the number of the driver 90 minutes late. I think that if members are to make BFS work with the Blacklane Limousine Service, they will need to have the local number of the Blacklane office or the driver's number a sufficient time in advance. Passengers who do have a local cell phone or maybe give Blacklane's BFS' number would, I assume, be contacted by Blacklane's driver in a timely manner. Then Blacklane would need to show up on time. If not, BFS would be stuck waiting around with the passenger as the Thai Airlines porter was with me. BFS would seem to make a lot of sense for passengers who are not traveling First Class. The golf cart and assistance with luggage is a real energy saver after a long flight. BFS does seem to be set up to articulate with AOT best.

I agree that the post was long and perhaps uninteresting for some readers. I had wanted to make a full report of my experience with Blacklane as I had promised some posters who had offered me tips. Cheers!

I'm sure some posters found it interesting (as I did). Can't please them all thumbsup.gif

Yermanee wai.gif

There isn't a local number for Blacklane, only the German one.

The way Blacklane works (as I understand it): they quote you a price and send a message out to their Bangkok affiliates and wait for one of these to take the offer, then they confirm the ride to you.

I used the Etihad limo many times and I only got the drivers mobile number after landing on my mobile, wished Blacklane could do the same, not 90 minutes after the driver should be at the pick-up point.

yermanee: Is there a local number for Blacklane? I never received it and the tourist information booth couldn't find it. I only received the number of the driver 90 minutes late. I think that if members are to make BFS work with the Blacklane Limousine Service, they will need to have the local number of the Blacklane office or the driver's number a sufficient time in advance. Passengers who do have a local cell phone or maybe give Blacklane's BFS' number would, I assume, be contacted by Blacklane's driver in a timely manner. Then Blacklane would need to show up on time. If not, BFS would be stuck waiting around with the passenger as the Thai Airlines porter was with me. BFS would seem to make a lot of sense for passengers who are not traveling First Class. The golf cart and assistance with luggage is a real energy saver after a long flight. BFS does seem to be set up to articulate with AOT best.

I don't know if blacklane even has a number in Thailand.

BFS promotes AOT limousine but that doesn't mean that you have to use AOT.

I always send a limousine of my own choosing to pick-up my friends and so far it worked every time.

Yermanee wai.gif