This strange walk i see in Thailand...

catweazle08

When i walk around in Thailand i sometimes witness a strange walk, mostly by woman.

Both feet are "bend" to the sites and it reminds me a bit of charlie chaplins walk.

i read somewhere, that this is common in isaan and it´s caused by working on the rice fields, but this explenation seems a bit far out for me.

Why would your feet change positions like this by working on a field?

Has anyone an explenation about this?

thx in advance!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that walk before, many many times. Instead of their feet facing straight in front of them when they walk, they point out to the sides about30 degrees. I refer to it as "The Buriram Shuffle", as I've foiund that many of these girls are from that area. That doesn't mean they don't have cute bottoms, and in fact, that walk can really accentuate a nice ass!

it is very common in my experience. but it is much more accentuated when a girl is visiting a cold climate western country - and they may have opted to wear a strong built winter type shoe. they stand out like a scouser in a suit smile.png

* scouser. Inhabitiant of liverpool

Edited by jonesthebaker

I think the OP is referring to the Chinese waddle, i.e. the way that women in East Asia typically do not walk in a way that swings their hips, which is what you see in the rest of the world, but in a much "straighter" way resulting from putting their feet down at an angle as they walk.

In Thailand, the only "women" who swing their hips from side to side are ladyboys, making it a sure way to recognise them. Real Thai women don't do it.

• Like 1

I have been here now for 7 years and I believe that it is indeed the easiest way to pick a "real" woman from a Katoey, 99.99% of all Thai women are splay footed, IE: the feet point out, even if only slighty.

On the other hand, in an effort to develop the walk I shall refer to as, the extremely unnatural gait of models, IE: one foot in front of the other, the Katoeys have a tendency to be pidgeon toed, pointing inwards.

Some people just never take notice of anything going on around them I guess.

Bam Bam

Edited by Pungdo
  • Like 1

Nothing to do with Isaan, in fact I don't see it here at al other than grads in the own. It's more hi so girls in the city and is much more prevalent in Singapore than Thailand, although common here also. Don't know why they do it, but who understands why women do anything?

• Like 1

From my understanding it is related to a vitamin D deficiency. It affects the density of the bones and can cause the splayed foot already noted by other posters.It is particularly prevalent in North Eastern Thailand as the sunshine related to natural creation of this vitamin is reduced because of the mountains and the long shadows that are the result of the increasing trend towards growing rubber plantations which produce an abundance of shade. The effect of this is that the legs, particularly of younger women are naturally spread wider. This was a source of shame for villagers who unfortunately shunned them for this supposed defect. Faced with dismal prospects and little chance of a normal life, sufferers were traditionally repatriated to Pattaya and Phuket where the sun is much stronger.

Thanks, but is this serious?

is there a source, where you found the informations?

sorry, but didn´t expect something like this. just wondering

i have observed this often.

If you want to walk quickly, you point your feet in the direction in which you are going. You need to however tense your core muscles as parallel feet is the least stable way to keep your body balanced. This will make you hotter more quickly.

If you want to be least tense and are not concerned with speed, turn your feet outwards and amble along. This will keep you cooler for longer.

I have found this preferred walk of a Thai to have a loose relation with social standing. Bangkok Chinese middle class, the former style, rural uneducated, particularly from Isaan, the latter style. Does not always hold though.

• Like 1

From my understanding it is related to a vitamin D deficiency. It affects the density of the bones and can cause the splayed foot already noted by other posters.It is particularly prevalent in North Eastern Thailand as the sunshine related to natural creation of this vitamin is reduced because of the mountains and the long shadows that are the result of the increasing trend towards growing rubber plantations which produce an abundance of shade. The effect of this is that the legs, particularly of younger women are naturally spread wider. This was a source of shame for villagers who unfortunately shunned them for this supposed defect. Faced with dismal prospects and little chance of a normal life, sufferers were traditionally repatriated to Pattaya and Phuket where the sun is much stronger. The surprising corollary to this was the added benefit to the family who began receiving a regular, unexpected income. Girls returned home cured of their vitamin deficiency, however the longer term result of this was that they aged very quickly and then they died, abused by aged, wealthy expatriate westerners who transmitted to them something much worse.

So next time you funny guys see a Thai woman walking with a gait that doesn't look quite right, and you think about what sort of sleazy disgusting sexual innuendos might make people on TV laugh, you might like to consider the humanitarian perspective.

Really funny huh?

To begin with I was thinking this guy is quite funny and then came to his last paragraph. Are you for real?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I've been wondering about this same topic, ever since I arrived here!

It looks like they waddle, it's so unfeminine! Actually, it looks like how a guy would walk after a kick to the nuts.

I notice it is mostly the more "rustic" women, the lower class girls who do it. Go to a poor part BKK and you see plenty of women doing it, from teens up to middle-aged. But nobody in my office does it, nor do I see Thai women walking that way in paragon for example.

Maybe a nutritional deficiency during childhood?

I imagine there is some social learning too.... I rarely see it in the central zones of Bangkok, even from minimum wage workers.

Edited by celso

I have been here now for 7 years and I believe that it is indeed the easiest way to pick a "real" woman from a Katoey, 99.99% of all Thai women are splay footed, IE: the feet point out, even if only slighty.

On the other hand, in an effort to develop the walk I shall refer to as, the extremely unnatural gait of models, IE: one foot in front of the other, the Katoeys have a tendency to be pidgeon toed, pointing inwards.

Some people just never take notice of anything going on around them I guess.

Bam Bam

I was going to say they were walking like John Wayne, but there is not many horses in Thailand.