I got red stamped

Obtaining a new passport is not that easy if a passport is current and has adequate blank pages.

Actually, it isnt that difficult neither...

A damaged passport would get you a reason for replacement. Easy enough.

I wouldnt go with the lost/stolen passport, but that would get a new one too.

Many "things" could render a passport unfit for use ! 

It is illegal to deliberately deface a passport .

As I said a straight choice --------lies or criminality 

...I forgot to take my passport out of the trousers, It ended up in the washing machine.Criminal?

"Forgot" or a deliberate action ?

There is a difference smile.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What utter rubish,  to obtain a new passort just appy, does not matter if current or not or have blank pages

Differet countries have different policies and procedures. Rubbish?

Edited by ubonjoe
Inflamatory comment removed and removed excessive quoted text

Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport

Just go to the US embassy and apply They are very happy to help.

New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas

In fact if they ask why you want a new passport you can tell them because you have too many Thai visas they understand about that

Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport

New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas

If you apply for the new visa here in Thailand at the embassy you have to go finally with both passports to immigration and they will transfer the stamp. Or you have to inform that you lost your passport and report to the police. Get your passport outside Thailand if you want to go that way.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Incorrect               VISA's can not be tranferd     only extension can be tranferd

The embassy will stamp your old passport as invalid and you have to show the old and new passport if you leave. If the officer will put the remarks ( red stamp) in your passport is up to him. Ok tourist visa will not be transferred but all others will and you have to go to immigration.

I am afraid you do not know what you are talking about      ALL VISA's Can not be tranferd      Only Extensions are tranferd

the red stamp  is not tranferd,  the stamp is from a consulate meaning you can not go back to that consulate for another visa, no big deal,  if you go to imm to get a extension tranferd they will not care about a red stamp from a cosulate  

Getting a new US passport is not that difficult.  If you happen to "forget" and include your current passport in a load of laundry it will invalidate the anti-counterfeit parts of the passport.  If you attempt to renter the US with said passport you will get pulled aside and have to undergo an interview to explain what happened.  Going to the embassy in BKK or the consulate in CM with a damaged passport will be sufficient for them to issue you another one if you have the $140 to pay for it.

[quote name="blabth" post="7313909" timestamp="1390121710"] [quote name="MikeandDow" post="7313888" timestamp="1390121417"] [quote name="blabth" post="7313858" timestamp="1390121113"] [quote name="realenglish1" post="7313672" timestamp="1390118888"]Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport

New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas[/quote]If you apply for the new visa here in Thailand at the embassy you have to go finally with both passports to immigration and they will transfer the stamp. Or you have to inform that you lost your passport and report to the police. Get your passport outside Thailand if you want to go that way.

[/quote]Incorrect               VISA's can not be tranferd     only extension can be tranferd
 [/quote]The embassy will stamp your old passport as invalid and you have to show the old and new passport if you leave. If the officer will put the remarks ( red stamp) in your passport is up to him. Ok tourist visa will not be transferred but all others will and you have to go to immigration.

[/quote]
I am afraid you do not know what you are talking about      ALL VISA's Can not be tranferd      Only Extensions are tranferd
the red stamp  is not tranferd,  the stamp is from a consulate meaning you can not go back to that consulate for another visa, no big deal,  if you go to imm to get a extension tranferd they will not care about a red stamp from a cosulate  

No need to argue on that issue. If you have non immigrant visa marriage vise or dependent visa your Visa will be transferred if your passport expired and a new passport is issued. But that is not relevant for the issue.

[quote name="blabth" post="7313909" timestamp="1390121710"] [quote name="MikeandDow" post="7313888" timestamp="1390121417"] [quote name="blabth" post="7313858" timestamp="1390121113"] [quote name="realenglish1" post="7313672" timestamp="1390118888"]Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport

New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas[/quote]If you apply for the new visa here in Thailand at the embassy you have to go finally with both passports to immigration and they will transfer the stamp. Or you have to inform that you lost your passport and report to the police. Get your passport outside Thailand if you want to go that way.

[/quote]Incorrect               VISA's can not be tranferd     only extension can be tranferd
 [/quote]The embassy will stamp your old passport as invalid and you have to show the old and new passport if you leave. If the officer will put the remarks ( red stamp) in your passport is up to him. Ok tourist visa will not be transferred but all others will and you have to go to immigration.

[/quote]

No need to argue on that issue. If you have non immigrant visa marriage vise or dependent visa your Visa will be transferred if your passport expired and a new passport is issued. But that is not relevant for the issue.

for the final time VISA's ARE NOT TRANFERD  non o married dependent ect  even if your passport is expired NOT tranferd

Valid visas from an embassy or consulate are not transfered you must use old passport until visa expires.

Extensions of stay from immigration (they are not visas) will be transfered with a annotation made of last visa entry.

• Like 1

Get a new passport. With the laughable state of Thai immigration's "computer records," it will be like you're entering the country for the first time.

Oh you are so wrong.

They know exactly when you entered and left (if by legal means), thanks to a system paid for by Uncle Sam and installed by Edward Snowdens previous employer. Seriously.

But this does not cover previous visa history, that is still TIT :)

Get a new passport. With the laughable state of Thai immigration's "computer records," it will be like you're entering the country for the first time.

But what I know is that the all what are stamped in the old passport  need to be transferred to the new one?

Anyway, maybe  the stamp from Vientiane will not be among the things to be transferred.

last i heard, which was several years ago, on a tourist visa(s) you were allowed only

90 days out of the last 180 days.  this is a "running" 180 days.. ie, from today back

for 180 days. if your next tourist visa will be more than those 90 days of the last

180 days, you will have to leave the kingdom until your eligibility (more than 180

days) returns.

this means that out of the last 180 days you can only be in the kingdom on a tourist

visa no more than 90 days.  half of the time must be spent outside the kingdom.

perhaps the dreaded red stamp is to alert you and/or the consulate the next time

you apply that your 90 day of 180 days is in question and deserves a closer look.

if this is the case, when you get more days you can return the kingdom again, no

fault... however, you won't be allowed to run over 90 days in a 180 day period.

that is what it used to be. i haven't heard of any change but there might have been.

bubba

It hasn't changed. I was under the impression it was not strictly enforced. In the USA that I'm from, we hire lawyers. 

last i heard, which was several years ago, on a tourist visa(s) you were allowed only

90 days out of the last 180 days.  this is a "running" 180 days.. ie, from today back

for 180 days. if your next tourist visa will be more than those 90 days of the last

180 days, you will have to leave the kingdom until your eligibility (more than 180

days) returns.

this means that out of the last 180 days you can only be in the kingdom on a tourist

perhaps the dreaded red stamp is to alert you and/or the consulate the next time

you apply that your 90 day of 180 days is in question and deserves a closer look.

if this is the case, when you get more days you can return the kingdom again, no

that is what it used to be. i haven't heard of any change but there might have been.

bubba

It hasn't changed. I was under the impression it was not strictly enforced. In the USA that I'm from, we hire lawyers. 

No such rules exists.

There used to be a rule about visa exempt entries, but that no longer exists.

But what I know is that the all what are stamped in the old passport  need to be transferred to the new one?

Anyway, maybe  the stamp from Vientiane will not be among the things to be transferred.

If you have a visa entry or visa exempt entry immigration at the airport will just transfer the info for the last entry into the country and then your departure stamp in your new passport.

days) returns.

bubba

Yes it has been changed! about 4-5 years ago. I know two guys the have been getting back to back tourist visas for the last 3 years going to Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. I also know another guy that just does a boarder run no visa, just visa exempt stamp. He only lives about 50km from the boarder so it's easy for him to just run to the boarder instead of going to Laos or anywhere else to get a visa. Dont need a lawyer.

Aside from a wonderful excuse to do a little childish Thai bashing, your comment may create a false sense of security for the serial visa abusers and others who seek to circumvent the rules.

But have there actually been incidents where people entering Thailand on tourist visas who obtained new passports after being red stamped on their old ones were then red stamped on the new ones? 

Obtaining a new passport is not that easy if a passport is current and has adequate blank pages. 

To secure a new passport in such circumstances involves at  least  the  telling of  lies and at the worst criminality !

Not if it accidentally got put into the laundry. I once did this to my wife's passport - which was by accident (it was a new passport too and she wasn't too pleased)... but who's to say if it was accidentally or accidentally on purpose.smile.png

I noticed a sign on the wall at the Australian consulate. They have different renewal fees for 1st, 2nd and 3rd time, going up in price as the number of renewals increase. I'm not sure what happens after the 3rd try, but a lot of people must be accidentally losing their passports.

Edited by tropo

In my experience over the last 25 years or so, the Royal Thai Consulate in Hong Kong has been, at different times, either very cooperative or rather difficult with my applications for both tourist and non-B multiple reentry visas. The attitude there can be volatile, changing rapidly, though, so perhaps a reader with experience in the last month or so could weigh in.

Kudos (or a tasty kynd bud) to BudRight for calling out the pedantic conformist. The very concept of criminality and "avoidance of rules" in all of mainland SE Asia bears little resemblance to that in North America and Europe. So try to use that to your advantage. A red stamp, or even a deportation for overstaying a visa is extremely unlikely as long as you make reasonable efforts to vary your destinations. (by the way, there are plenty of Thai birds and other, more exotic genders in elegant plumage in the SAR, so you need not fear going without).

I can't comment about the local law firm and letters because I've always had those provided by a friend and previous employer, but iI've not once been even slightly inconvenienced by immigration (at any kind of crossing) because of those letters. Go on lad! Broaden your horizons, just don't forget where your heart is. Choke dee Edited by BanTamo

...Damn ..I left my PP in my trouser pocket and it went thru the laundry machine.....oh dear

...dam_n ..I left my PP in my trouser pocket and it went thru the laundry machine.....oh dear

Exactly. Or you can drop it in a muddy puddle OR LOST IN THE MAIL or whatever. Getting very tired of all the " I am an expert visa advise" on here. I think I'm an expert now by second guessing most posts on TVF. just a couple days ago there were several people just spuuuuuuuing BS about loas being okay for back to back tourist visas. I commented that it was NOT a perfect science and then told I was wrong. Any American can get a new passport. It is your right, don't listen to the BS.

...dam_n ..I left my PP in my trouser pocket and it went thru the laundry machine.....oh dear

Exactly. Or you can drop it in a muddy puddle OR LOST IN THE MAIL or whatever. Getting very tired of all the " I am an expert visa advise" on here. I think I'm an expert now by second guessing most posts on TVF. just a couple days ago there were several people just spuuuuuuuing BS about loas being okay for back to back tourist visas. I commented that it was NOT a perfect science and then told I was wrong. Any American can get a new passport. It is your right, don't listen to the BS.

You are correct!

They will always give you a one way "return" home travel document whilst fraudulent and possibly criminal behavior is investigated.

You are correct!

They will always give you a one way "return" home travel document whilst fraudulent and possibly criminal behavior is investigated.

By using the word "whilst" I'm sure you are an expert on getting a new USA passport. LOL. I guess you and maybe Jesus are the only the non sinners left.

I got a red stamp from Vientiane few years ago but luckily my passport ran out of pages and I got new one. The old one was filled with all kinds of stamps. No problems with Vientiane of getting another tourist visa with the new passport.

You should always go to visa run companies and ask around for the latest info. They do runs twice a week and know in 99 percent of cases beforehand whether you can get a visa or not. 

Edited by Timwin

[quote name="MikeandDow" post="7314601" timestamp="1390130520"][quote name="blabth" post="7314489" timestamp="1390129165"][quote name="MikeandDow" post="7314046" timestamp="1390123642"][quote name="blabth" post="7313909" timestamp="1390121710"] [quote name="MikeandDow" post="7313888" timestamp="1390121417"] [quote name="blabth" post="7313858" timestamp="1390121113"] [quote name="realenglish1" post="7313672" timestamp="1390118888"]Just to let everyone know. You do not need an excuse for a new Passport   Just go to the US embassy and apply They are very happy to help.   New passport you will not have any problem getting  tourist visas[/quote]If you apply for the new visa here in Thailand at the embassy you have to go finally with both passports to immigration and they will transfer the stamp. Or you have to inform that you lost your passport and report to the police. Get your passport outside Thailand if you want to go that way. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand    [/quote]Incorrect              [b] VISA's[/b] can not be tranferd     only extension can be tranferd  [/quote]The embassy will stamp your old passport as invalid and you have to show the old and new passport if you leave. If the officer will put the remarks ( red stamp) in your passport is up to him. Ok tourist visa will not be transferred but all others will and you have to go to immigration. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand  [/quote] I am afraid you do not know what you are talking about      ALL VISA's Can not be tranferd      Only Extensions are tranferd the red stamp  is not tranferd,  the stamp is from a consulate meaning you can not go back to that consulate for another visa, no big deal,  if you go to imm to get a extension tranferd they will not care about a red stamp from a cosulate  [/quote] No need to argue on that issue. If you have non immigrant visa marriage vise or dependent visa your Visa will be transferred if your passport expired and a new passport is issued. But that is not relevant for the issue. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand[/quote] for the final time VISA's ARE NOT TRANFERD  non o married dependent ect  even if your passport is expired NOT tranferd[/quote I am not sure what ur problem is but my visa has been transferred two times during my stay here. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I got a red stamp from Vientiane few years ago but luckily my passport ran out of pages and I got new one. The old one was filled with all kinds of stamps. No problems with Vientiane of getting another tourist visa with the new passport.

You should always go to visa run companies and ask around for the latest info. They do runs twice a week and know in 99 percent of cases beforehand whether you can get a visa or not. 

Most people are lazy. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff at the Vientiane consulate do a quick flick through applicant passports looking for the one page tourist visa stickers and just count them up. I don't reckon they pay attention to dates entered and exited. That can be a very difficult job in a passport full of stickers and stamps.

At the end of the day, their decision is final, fair or not.

Aside from a wonderful excuse to do a little childish Thai bashing, your comment may create a false sense of security for the serial visa abusers and others who seek to circumvent the rules.

But have there actually been incidents where people entering Thailand on tourist visas who obtained new passports after being red stamped on their old ones were then red stamped on the new ones?

To secure a new passport in such circumstances involves at  least  the  telling of  lies and at the worst criminality !

At least with a UK passport that is totally untrue. You can get a new UK passport within the validity date and with blank pages, no questions asked. It's good to know what you're talking about before you post so righteously, no?
  • Like 1

At least with a UK passport that is totally untrue. You can get a new UK passport within the validity date and with blank pages, no questions asked. It's good to know what you're talking about before you post so righteously, no?

Shhh! If you face the serial book throwers and constant judgeful characters of this forum with simple plain facts like this, that could cause a counter flux of livid assumptions, further polluting any hope of plain and calm discussion.