I got red stamped

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain please what is a 777/2551 order and under what circumstances are they issued?  Does it only happen at borders and airports or are they issued in advance

then produced when foreigner is leaving through airport?  

Police order 777/2551 has the requirements for an extension of stay in it..

What are you asking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the OP who got red-stamped in Vientiane, and the follow-up to that story is that I just got back from Savannakhet where I got a double-entry tourist visa with no problems and no questions asked.

And the consulate was still in the same location -- on the river, in the central part of town.

Living in BKK or Chon buri or anywhere not near a Thai embassy... at the current prices for a 2-day visa run in order to get a dual entry, add in the extensions and 1 border run, it simply does not pay to go this route any more. Going every 30 days (USA citizens) it costs the same or less to do border runs for the same time frame. Sure, a double entry saves having to do anything each 30 days, but the travel is about the same too.

Get a new passport. With the laughable state of Thai immigration's "computer records," it will be like you're entering the country for the first time.

Aside from a wonderful excuse to do a little childish Thai bashing, your comment may create a false sense of security for the serial visa abusers and others who seek to circumvent the rules.

Thai bashing?!?! So, good sir, you are asserting the up-to-date, modern, 21st-Century state of the government of Thailand's immigration computer system? I'm all ears...

At any rate, criticizing a government's shortfalls does not equate to "bashing" the people of that country...when I criticize the shortcomings of my government--including their head-up-the-ass customs/immigration practices, am I "America bashing"??

Living in BKK or Chon buri or anywhere not near a Thai embassy... at the current prices for a 2-day visa run in order to get a dual entry, add in the extensions and 1 border run, it simply does not pay to go this route any more. Going every 30 days (USA citizens) it costs the same or less to do border runs for the same time frame. Sure, a double entry saves having to do anything each 30 days, but the travel is about the same too.

What would you do though when immigration at the border says no more after 3 entries.

Three border runs would cost about 6000 baht. A visa run to Laos can be done for less than that.

Doing border runs for to get the 6 months possible would be 12k more or less and several days wasted doing them.

I solved the problem by getting a new passport my old had a red stamp after 2 years of visa runs. I finally got one again 2 years later. They were also kind enough to provide the reason why they are Red stamping people. It has to do with too many teachers working illegally. Whatever you do don't report your passport stolen that is the stupidest idea ever it puts it on a watch list. The visa companies tend to be very helpful in these situations. I was not even suppose to get a double but I provided bank statements. This time I live in Kburi so its actually cheaper for me to take the 2.5 hour round trip drive once a month and save 5000+ baht over 6 months. I was also told you just travel to another consulate and its not an issue. The red stamp can be random at times I have seen people get them on their first run and people who have spent 5 years here get none. I am not a teacher and I do not work in Thailand only lucky enough to work in IT previously to my 5 year vacation in Thailand.  

What nationality are you (I'm US) & how did you get a new passport?

You're doing a visa run from Kanchanaburi to Myanmar? Where are you crossing the border? Are you using a company or going on your own?

US Citizen and I live about 1h15m away from  Ban Phu Nam Ron. I just ride my motorcycle up since its so close and easier to do it myself. Next one I am going to just pay 10$ US and the paperwork fee of 200baht. The road is getting better and better everyday and this is really about as hassle free as it gets for a border crossing. I don't even bother with the 1900baht extension saves about 1100 baht just hitting the border. The companies up here charge 1700baht that is 1000baht for a 1+ hour ride in a Thai van. That is a bike(150baht) a room(500 baht) and a nice dinner(100-300baht) that you save just doing it yourself. The road is fairly safe out here since cane season has died down. New passport just make an online appointment with our embassy on Wireless road. Really quick its around 110? Note that Chiang Watanna might tell you that they wont transfer the visa over and do it at the border(amphor office not border). This is where a visa service is an advantage.  

Edited by BigRick

• 4 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What offense is the red stamp given for?

It is a warning that further visas may not be issued to an individual from a particular Embassy/Consulate. 

Usually the the result of applying for serial back to back tourist visas which leads officials to believe the applicant is, in fact not a tourist.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Get a new passport. With the laughable state of Thai immigration's "computer records," it will be like you're entering the country for the first time.

Are you sure? Is that really true?

Yes. A fresh passport works wonders. I get a new one every 5 years, like being a virgin again.

Are you sure? Is that really true?

Yes. A fresh passport works wonders. I get a new one every 5 years, like being a virgin again.

Well if this is the case, then a dual citizen will likely be rejoicing every time, because one heavily used passport can easily be substituted for a lightly used one and then no problems will be encountered. Despite some rumors that Thai immigration can link passports used by dual nationals, with say a name search or a photograph this is not definitive and remains ambiguous as a definitive source of identification until they follow Cambodia's lead and implement fingerprinting. With fingerprinting there is no ambiguity. You can change your name, hair color, physical appearance (hell, you could even tell a plastic surgeon please make me look Thai i.e. more Asian lol) but fingerprints are not going to change, short of basically destroying them.

I can confirm that Cambodian immigration can link passports of dual nationals, or previous passports used by the same person, provided all of these passports being used have previously been used to enter Cambodia since the time that fingerprinting has been implemented there (a few years now). I have seen evidence of this at the Bavet border coming in from Vietnam. That was the only time I was able to see an immigration computer screen displayed right in front of me and could see my other passport details coming up. However, as far as Cambodia is concerned that's irrelevant because Cambodia doesn't require visa running and even if you chose to do so, they would turn a blind eye to it or even welcome it (as it provides extra revenue for the government).

So far, Thai immigration does NOT have this capability simply because fingerprinting is not yet being done. Once it is though, then similar links will be able to be made. In the meantime though, getting a new passport, including using a different passport if you are a dual national should work. So if you were a border runner using say an Italian passport, but then returned (by air as it doesn't work if coming by land) on a French passport, you could wipe the slate clean.

I have not heard any evidence to the contrary, including any cases of border running dual nationals being refused entry into Thailand when attempting to enter on a "clean" passport. The closest scenario to this is this one thread, which talks about a guy who tried to use a heavily used passport but then pulled out another one which he gave to immigration at Krabi airport. He was allowed to enter on that less used one. However, he probably shouldn't have tried to present the heavily used one in the first place.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

• 2 weeks later...