1-2 years Thailand stay

Hello.

I am a 31 year old U.S. citizen. Recently my girlfriend of 4 years accepted a teaching position at a private school in Bangkok. She (also a citizen of the U.S.) intends to stay there for 2 years. We would like to continue to live together while she does this. I currently work here in the states as a computer\network technician and would like to continue working or perhaps return to school while in Thailand. :D

My questions are: What's the easiest way for me to stay for this length of time in Thailand? Should I forget about working? The 2 month visa runs sound really awful to me and I would like to avoid them if at all possible.

Any advice from people who have "been there, done that" would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to sell my furniture, car, house, etc and have to come back after 2 months!

:o

Okay, so I saw this post which answers my questions to a degree.

"A retirement visa is only available to applicants 50 years or older, Applicants must meet requirements, eg 65000 Th Bht OR have 800000 Th Bht in a Thai bankThe age criteria was recently reduced to 50 from 55 year age as a minimum. The age is not a negotiable thing. Your options are to marry, or become a businessman, study at an approved Institution, or border hop each 90 days, assuming you obtain a multi entry Non-Immigrant visa. When you make application for a visa it has to made for a specific activity such as those outlined above. And the classification is not changeable, thus semi is not valid for any class of visa. You either have a wife, do some study at a valid institution, do some business, or retire at 50 years of age. I hope that this clarifies the situation for you" -posted by dr_Pat_Pong

It looks like my options are to start a business or visa runs. As far as the business solution goes, I don't think I have the $100,000 needed, or really even a business plan! :o Although I had considered freelance computer work? I've also worked as graphic designer? Any avenues there perhaps?

Maybe I should resign yself to visa runs and be done with it. :D

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm new to this whole living abroad idea. In fact my first visit to thailand a month ago was my first time out of the Americas. I'm very excited to do it, but want to make sure I do it correctly.

c72,

I'm a 28 year old American man (from FL originally) living here in Thailand with my Thai wife. We've been here for a year and a half and I've been teaching English Conversation to junior high/high school students at a government school. I have a Non-Immigrant Class "O" visa since I'm legally married to my wife in both Florida and Thailand. I would suggest coming to Thailand with your girlfriend first and working it out from there. With your background I suppose you could look for a computer or teaching job. If you land such a job the company who hires you should get you a Class "B" Non-Immigrant working visa which will be good for I believe 90 days. After this, you will have to get it extended up to a year from the date you received the visa (they will add on the additional 9 months). You will also need a work permit which will be good for one year (the company should take care of this as well). Before these expire you will need to either get rehired by your company in which case they'll simply restamp your visa/work permit or you will need to take another job before the expiration date and the new company will take care of you. The "B" visa/work permit will be extended for another year. Many folks like you would find it easiest to simply come here on a tourist visa and look for a job once you're here. Trying to land one from abroad can be a bit of a hassle from what I understand, but then again, many folks have landed jobs before coming here too. Make sure that you have a Thai assistant (somebody connected to your prospective employer) to help you obtain the necessary visas/work permits as trying to do it on your own is a nightmare! The amount of red tape involved would stretch around the globe 100 times over. Chok dee (good luck) in all your endeavors!

Hi Thaiboxer,

Is it possible to get a job and then apply for a work permit and extension of visa while on a tourist visa ? I heard a lot of them saying that visas need to be applied outside of Thailand before it can be extended. Is this true ?

I have another question.

If I were to apply for a 'O' visa at a Thai consulate outside Thailand, (I am legally married to my Thai wife), can I change the category after I get a job in Thailand ?

Thanks

Hi Thaiboxer,

Is it possible to get a job and then apply for a work permit and extension of visa while on a tourist visa ? I heard a lot of them saying that visas need to be applied outside of Thailand before it can be extended. Is this true ?

I have another question.

If I were to apply for a 'O' visa at a Thai consulate outside Thailand, (I am legally married to my Thai wife), can I change the category after I get a job in Thailand ?

Thanks

A person married to and caring for a Thai can apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa outside Thailand, and extend it year by year in Thailand. After July you need to have an income and/or funds in a bank in Thailand amounting to 400,000 baht to be eligible for that extension. Once you have that, in your situation, a work permit can be obtained, so there is no need to change category. You positively cannot work on a tourist visa.

Thanks for the reply.

My current situation is this.

I would like to work in Thailand. The question is , should I apply for 'O' visa in my consulate and then proceed to Thailand to look for a job or should I just look for a job in Thailand using a normal tourist visa ?

If I go on a tourist visa, once I get an offer from a company, I then return to my country to apply for non B visa and then go back to Thailand to apply for work permit.

Or if I use cat O, I can apply for Work Permit without going back and forth.

Which is the best ?

Sorry, I am very confused.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Apply for a multi entry class O visa now on the basis of your marriage. You can then receive a work permit when/if you find a job with no change in visa status required.

Even if you were not married and had only a tourist visa you would not normally have to return to your home country to obtain a class B visa as most people just go to Penang in Malaysia for this.

Thanks for the reply.

My current situation is this.

I would like to work in Thailand. The question is , should I apply for 'O' visa in my consulate and then proceed to Thailand to look for a job or should I just look for a job in Thailand using a normal tourist visa ?

If I go on a tourist visa, once I get an offer from a company, I then return to my country to apply for non B visa and then go back to Thailand to apply for work permit.

Or if I use cat O, I can apply for Work Permit without going back and forth.

Which is the best ?

Sorry, I am very confused.

Hope you can help

Thanks

The easiest is to apply for a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O visa in your home country, and get a work permit once you get a job. What country are you in now ?

Hi lopburi3,

Thank you for your reply.

I just received a reply from a company in Bangkok asking me to come over for an interview.

Should I apply for a NON 'O' visa and then fly over for the interview ? If I cannot get any jobs, will it be a problem if I were to apply for anther 'O' after it expires ?

If I get the job , how do I go about applying for the work permit and visa extension ? I heard there are lots of complicated documents to be filled up ? Do I need a lawyer to do it or can I do it myself ?

Thanks a lot

Should I apply for a NON 'O' visa and then fly over for the interview ?
Yes. And make it a multi entry type valid for a year in case this does not work out and you want to make another trip later.

Have never worked here so can't give specific info on paperwork but believe the company that hires you will probably take care of most of the work and if they have ever done before probably know what is required. If not you should still be quite able to DIY if you can fill out your own income tax forms. If you are not hot tempered/easily confused believe it best to do yourself.