Is it a burger, a pizza or is it ....

Valentine

Looking for good eggs benedict, preferably in the south of the island. I recently tried one at a place on the Rawai beachfront but was average at best, this after sending the first one back. It came out with the sauce split, eggs looking like they were nuked & all sitting on the tiniest bits of toasted french bread. When the 2nd one came the waitress proudly informed me they made the sauce fresh (so the first one must have been reheated), the eggs looked pretty good but they put it back on the same pieces of skimpy toasted bread which were now soggy & "Hollandaise" sauce was fairly bland.

The only place I ever had a good egg benedict was at the Karon Cafe. Perfect hollandaise sauce. Can't say if it's still good as I have not been back there for years given the difficulty with parking in Karon.

I agree with this back in the day before they started with the breakfast buffet. In recent years I have not even tried to get into the place. The ones at Fashion Cafe (Perfection Spa) were pretty good too but they are long gone.

The problem is the butter - nearly all places use local butter, which in fact is a butter compound around 70% dairy solids a tbest & has residual sweetness. Then the freshness of the eggs and the ability of the chef to cook enough acid from the reduction..... and on its goes.......

Don't know anywhere here in the south but if you can be arsed to go, Gallery Cafe in phuket town does some pretty good eggs benedict, It's about the only place I've had decent poached eggs in Thailand. Check the link, there's a menu on there too

http://www.gallerycafe-phuket.com/index.php

Thanks, If I can ever find a place to park my pickup nearby I will try it out.

First thing there is no reduction when making eggs Benedict , not with sauce or anything.

The best place to find is at a hotel w/ a western Chef, my thai family had never had it til I made it for them now they are hooked. If you need recipe PM me and I can give to you. Aloha

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First thing there is no reduction when making eggs Benedict , not with sauce or anything.The best place to find is at a hotel w/ a western Chef, my thai family had never had it til I made it for them now they are hooked. If you need recipe PM me and I can give to you. AlohaSent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, on the contrary, I'd beg to differ on there being no 'reduction' from the sauce or anything...

Good hollandaise is not just whisking in vinegar, melting down some butter and cracking in some egg yolks and beating the shit out of it whilst you watch a Jane Fonda workout video...

eezergood is dead on point about getting the acidity right...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First thing there is no reduction when making eggs Benedict , not with sauce or anything. The best place to find is at a hotel w/ a western Chef, my thai family had never had it til I made it for them now they are hooked. If you need recipe PM me and I can give to you. Aloha Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am a western chef - classically trained.

Not saying yours is no good, but it is certainly not correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to CCA and work at a top world rated restaurant. Mama's Fish House.

Sauce is egg yolks no salt butter touch lemon salt paprika for taste.

A reduction is take large liquids and reduce by half.

OK we are both some what right.

There is No Vineger in hollandaise

Classically trained wrong bernaise sauce has red wine vineger.

Good luck

I do good béarnaise.

Actually, the vinegar should be from white wine, as the wine. It's more a question of nice color than actual taste - some say red wine is fine, but I don't like the color.

I reckon the most difficult would be to obtain good butter. For béarnaise, only clarified butter should be used.

Hollandaise is much easier, the butter can be used whole, but still the taste won't forgive the use of cheap butter.

By the way, there are variants of sauce hollandaise made with vinegar and reduction.

Edited by manarak

There is No Vineger in hollandaise

Classically trained wrong bernaise sauce has red wine vineger.

Good luck

So which is it? First you say that you and eezergood are "somewhat right" then you go on to say "no vineger"

But I guess Mr Ramsay and Mr Oliver are also doing it wrong... But then again, Americans do have a tendancy to do things their own way...

Mahalo...

• Like 1

Top world rated...... ?

I used the Escoffier, Le Guide Culinaire for my training..... even our friends across the pond at the CIA use this.

Any best of luck, as you work is such an esteemed establishment I am sure you wont need it

I went to Gallery Cafe yesterday & the eggs benedict was very good, way better than my previous experience in Rawai. The place was fairly buzzing around 9.30 in the morning. Poached eggs cooked to perfection, well toasted muffins, a very tasty hollandaise sauce. Some of the other food items going out looked really good as well.

My telak makes me great eggs benny...

She adds some Frenchs mustard to the sauce is very nice..

But

hard to find proper English muffins and round Canadian bacon to complete the dish

Does the best she can with local ingredients

Also makes good bloody Marys and mermosas to

Yum

my old man was a chef and he was trained in france and around Europe(during and just after the war). He actually had a couple of ways of making most sauces(hollandaise included) and they were all brilliant, as he used to say(and many others), variety is the spice of life. There are several ways to do most things, arguing about eggs benedict is pretty silly as is arguing about various ways you each make your own sauces, if everyone did it the same it would be very boring for our taste buds.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

my old man was a chef and he was trained in france and around Europe(during and just after the war). He actually had a couple of ways of making most sauces(hollandaise included) and they were all brilliant, as he used to say(and many others), variety is the spice of life. There are several ways to do most things, arguing about eggs benedict is pretty silly as is arguing about various ways you each make your own sauces, if everyone did it the same it would be very boring for our taste buds.thumbsup.gif

up to you.........

• Like 1

up to you.........

spot on, or as they say, to each his own. Doesnt matter how everyone makes them as long as they taste great.

• Like 1