Thaksin Returns As Pm

John K

Prinya says he wants to remain until next Govt formed

Election Commission member Prinya Nakchudtree said Wednesday that he would like to remain in office until the next government is formed.

Prinya was responding to a question during a TV talk show on Channel 5 Wednesday morning.

Asked whether the EC would stay until the next government is formed, Prinya said: "I hope so but I can't predict what will happen."

He said the EC would like the country to return to normal situation before it would step down.

Earlier, it had speculation that EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp would resign shortly before October 15, the tentative election date.

Source: The Nation - 28 June 2006

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PAD leader says Thai Rak Thai dissolution not affect Thaksin regime

Nakhonratchasima - Somkiat Pongpaiboon, a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said Wednesday that the Thaksin regime would not be affected by the likely dissolution of the Thai Rak Thai Party.

He said although the Constitution Court might order the party to be dissolved, Thai Rak Thai politicians would not be banned from politics but they could remain in politics by joining other parties.

Somkiat said the Thai Rak Thai politicians would join "nominal parties" or surrogate-mother parties.

He said the Chat Thai would become the most popular surrogate-mother party.

Somkiat said since the Thai Rak Thai politicians would remain in politics, the Thaksin regime would stay to cause damages to the country.

Source: The Nation - 28 June 2006

I am impressed that the PAD have their finger on the pulse of what may happen here. They are working as watchdog now.

Mr. Chuan requested independent organizations to work transparently

The Chairman of the Advisory Council of the Democrat Party, Mr. Chuan Leekpai (ชวน หลีกภัย), has requested independent organizations to work transparently and be evenhanded in considering the dissolution of political parties

In response to the Office of the Attorney-General’s resolution to dissolve the Democrat Party, Mr. Chuan said that the party has to respect the consideration of the Attorney-General. He believes that the process of judgment will bring the best solution on this matter.

At the same time, Interim Senate Speaker Suchon Chaleekrua (สุชน ชาลีเครือ) would like different parties to reconcile and follow His Majesty the King’s royal speech.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 June 2006

PAD's core members today hear their 13 allegation at Suppression Division

One of the core members of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), Mr. Sondhi Limthongkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), heard the 13 allegations made against him today. However, he insisted that he will not stop his movement to oust Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Mr. Sondhi, Interim Senator Chirmsak Pinthong (เจิมศักดิ์ ปิ่นทอง), and Mr. Somkiart Pongphaiboon (สมเกียรติ พงษ์ไพบูลย์) met with the investigating officers at the Suppression Division to hear their 13 allegations.

However, Mr. Sondhi insisted that these allegations cannot discontinue the PAD´s movement to drive out Dr. Thaksin from his political role. He has also demanded the officers to investigate the case impartially.

Thinking about the scenario if both TRT and The Democrats are dissolved, if a dissolved TRT's members joined a small party and won the election as the majority party, the executives could elect Thaksin etc as The Cabinet.

But if they weren't the majority party, if they were in The Opposition, then Thaksin could not be leader as the leader of The Opposition must be the leader of the majority Opposition Party, an executive member.

Thaksin may be in no doubt he can win with a majority so a return as PM is not so difficult, but for Abhisit, if destined to be in The Opposition, his role could only be as an MP, not Opposition Leader.

TDRI: political issues slow down mega-projects

The Director of Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), Mr.Somkiart Tangkitvanich, stated that the current political situation in Thailand is affecting the government’s mega-projects and investors’ confident.

Mr. Somkiart said people have to wait for the court’s deliberation to dissolve five political parties. He asserted that no mega-projects will be initiated this year, especially the ones that are essential for the general public. Nevertheless, he said this is the good time for the government to revise its role in developing the mega-projects.

He said however that the political conflicts have to be resolved soon. Otherwise, investors would not be poised to invest in Thailand due to the country’s high risk factors.

Mr. Sondhi today visited Crime Suppression Division to acknowledge charges aginst him

The main leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy has acknowledged charges in 13 cases against him, in the meantime insisting that the PAD's movement to oust the prime minister will not be halted by the legal proceedings.

PAD core figure Sonthi Limthong (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), Acting Bangkok Senator Jermsak Pinthong (เจิมศักดิ์ ปิ่นทอง) and Mr. Somkiart Phongphaiboon (สมเกียรติ พงศ์ไพบูลย์) today reported to the Crime Suppression Division in accordance with the summoning letter earlier issued to them for the 13 cases comprising varying charges, which came in result of filings by Thai Rak Thai legal personnel who were assigned by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to press the charges.

Mr. Sonthi today said the multiple legal cases will not be able to stop the PAD's movement to oust the prime minister. He also called for justice in the case proceeding and police inambiguity for both cases on the prime minister and thos on the PAD.

Mr. Sondhi today visited Crime Suppression Division to acknowledge charges aginst him

The main leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy has acknowledged charges in 13 cases against him, in the meantime insisting that the PAD's movement to oust the prime minister will not be halted by the legal proceedings.

PAD core figure Sonthi Limthong (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล), Acting Bangkok Senator Jermsak Pinthong (เจิมศักดิ์ ปิ่นทอง) and Mr. Somkiart Phongphaiboon (สมเกียรติ พงศ์ไพบูลย์) today reported to the Crime Suppression Division in accordance with the summoning letter earlier issued to them for the 13 cases comprising varying charges, which came in result of filings by Thai Rak Thai legal personnel who were assigned by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to press the charges.

Mr. Sonthi today said the multiple legal cases will not be able to stop the PAD's movement to oust the prime minister. He also called for justice in the case proceeding and police inambiguity for both cases on the prime minister and thos on the PAD.

I am sorry to pick nits here but the last time I looked, Dr.,Pol.Lt. Gen.,Emperor Of All That He Surveys, Thaksin Shinawatra was "Caretaker Prime Minister" of a lame-duck "government" comsisting of a motley crowd,half of whom should be dining at Khlong Prem Country Club.

Now that it seems the political parties may face dissolution, what to call him after that? Where is Michael Moore? This whole epic could be made into a motion picture "A FEW BAD MEN" comes to mind. maybe sharper wits can think of a title.

"I am not a crook."

"The TRT has never done anything illegal or made a decision that is immoral ".

:o:D:D:D:D

Edited by ratcatcher

Been sitting this one out for a while since there hasn't been much intelligent discussion of late.

But have to chuckle a little bit to myself when I see all the political experts here coming up with various conspiracy theories and predictions at the most recent turn of events.

Sort of like a pack of baying hounds chasing a fox.

One thing I would add though is that Sondhi/PAD needs to be a bit careful about threatening the court with mass protests if they don't get their own way.

I'm not a crook? Nixon said the same thing.

And,--

I didnt have sex with Monica.

and;

Iraq possesses WMD.

Thailand has a lot to learn from the west when it comes to honesty in politics. :-)

Been sitting this one out for a while since there hasn't been much intelligent discussion of late.

People in this forum don't really need you to tell them how stupid they are.

One thing I would add though is that Sondhi/PAD needs to be a bit careful about threatening the court with mass protests if they don't get their own way.

If the court rules against common sense and tries to cover its collective ass with "we are acting on HM's orders" while secretly doing Thaksin's bidding, it won't get away with this. If there's no sense of justice and mass protests follow, that would be exactly the situation "if you can't sort out the mess, you have to resign, not the government".

Court says no favouritism for PM

From correspondents in Bangkok

June 28, 2006

A TOP Thai court defended its independence Wednesday amid concern over its handling of cases against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's party and the main opposition.

"No one can tell us what to do. People should be confident that justice still exists in this country," Constitutional Court judge Parn Juntraparn told reporters.

The judge made his comments amid growing scepticism that the court would rule in favour of Mr Thaksin over election irregularities charged against his ruling Thai Rak Thai and the opposition Democrat Party.

The court has twice sided with Mr Thaksin in previous cases.

Months after Mr Thaksin was elected in 2001, the court threw out charges that the billionaire politician illegally concealed his assets. A conviction would have forced him out of office and barred him from politics.

In February this year, the court refused to look into conflict of interest charges over his family's 1.9-billion-dollar sale of their stake in telecoms empire Shin Corp.

full story here

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...28-1702,00.html

I'm not a crook? Nixon said the same thing.

John, anyone who was around in 1973 knows you didn't need to see Nixon's face to know it was him in the money sackm he had his own body language.

How can you tell when Thaksin's lying? "His mouth is open!" :o

But have to chuckle a little bit to myself when I see all the political experts here coming up with various conspiracy theories and predictions at the most recent turn of events.

Sort of like a pack of baying hounds chasing a fox.

You know you are right, and I myself have been out of form and much less than professional. But I guess when someone like a PM lies to everyone, disrespects virtually everyone and is totally self serving, I feel obliged to return the favor. I guess it was time to vent a little, ongoing self therapy perhaps until he is out for good.

So the we have time to form a TV.C party before the next election? I think we would have a good platform.

I would not threaten the court with a protest, but more of a reminder. Call it a good visual cue. Just a bunch of people looking for justice no more no less.

I would not threaten the court with a protest, but more of a reminder. Call it a good visual cue. Just a bunch of people looking for justice no more no less.

A protest, a reminder, a bunch of people or a visual clue to the courts could well be looked at in a totally different light with the current situation in Thailand. While a lot of groups stood by and watched during the last protests you may now see them step in if is deemed an attempt to subvert democracy or social order in the light of HM speech to the courts.

What about the calendar issue ?

If you read the last paper of Nation about the process (dissolution or not), it appears that it's going to take some time... loooooooong time.

On another side, we have the 3 months rule (for a candidate to sign up for one party).

So :

-3 july : AOG forward its file to Constitution Court

first trap : we don't know if CC will take care of the 5 cases (5 parties face dissolution) in the same time or separatly.

-10 days after : the CC will rule "whether to launch the judicial review"

-if the CC do so, then hearing

-then 15 days for the parties to present defence arguments

-then another hearing... and rulling.

So minimum, 28 JULY.

28 august, 28 september, 28 october : 3 months.

So i would like someone to explain me how the EC can continue its process about "elections on october 15" when there is such an amazing action that could lead to a total implosion of thai politics (elections with.... NO ONE, because all members of 5 parties [TRT, Demo] couldn't be candidate under the banner of another party because the 3 months rule).

Amazing country, amazing time. Hip hip hurrah.

So i would like someone to explain me how the EC can continue its process about "elections on october 15" when there is such an amazing action that could lead to a total implosion of thai politics

Yes it truly is Amazing Thailand.

The EC has made it's recommendations to the OAG, who forwarded the Dissolution cases to the CC, they are now out of the loop. The EC is still in charge of conducting the election process and the caretaker government has said it will ask the HM for a decree on Aug 15 for an election on Oct 15 so the EC is continuing on those grounds.

Now if the TRT is dissolved prior to Aug 15, Thailand has another quandary as there is no caretaker government to ask for the decree and if the 5 are dissolved after the call but before the election, Thailand would again be in a deep problem. If that would be the case you may well see the military step in to get the country on track, even though they have said otherwise. This is Thailand and what is stated is not always what is meant but rather what the party thinks you may want to hear at that point in time.

Now the funny part, if you can have a funny part in all of this. If the Courts had not ruled the April 2 election invalid then the changes that everyone wanted would probably have been made ( estimated 6-9 months) and there would have been an election between October and January anyway. Fixing the problem has dragged on so long with no end in sight that there may well not be an election for many many months and I have heard, from contacts, that well into 2007 is not out of the question.

So i would like someone to explain me how the EC can continue its process about "elections on october 15" when there is such an amazing action that could lead to a total implosion of thai politics

Yes it truly is Amazing Thailand.

The EC has made it's recommendations to the OAG, who forwarded the Dissolution cases to the CC, they are now out of the loop. The EC is still in charge of conducting the election process and the caretaker government has said it will ask the HM for a decree on Aug 15 for an election on Oct 15 so the EC is continuing on those grounds.

Now if the TRT is dissolved prior to Aug 15, Thailand has another quandary as there is no caretaker government to ask for the decree and if the 5 are dissolved after the call but before the election, Thailand would again be in a deep problem. If that would be the case you may well see the military step in to get the country on track, even though they have said otherwise. This is Thailand and what is stated is not always what is meant but rather what the party thinks you may want to hear at that point in time.

Now the funny part, if you can have a funny part in all of this. If the Courts had not ruled the April 2 election invalid then the changes that everyone wanted would probably have been made ( estimated 6-9 months) and there would have been an election between October and January anyway. Fixing the problem has dragged on so long with no end in sight that there may well not be an election for many many months and I have heard, from contacts, that well into 2007 is not out of the question.

Yet again a harbinger of DOOOM !! It is far more likely that this will NOT take place! The military has stayed out... Has said they WILL stay out. and have been impartial so far in all of their dealings surrounding this.

Everyone wanted Luk? I remember <ahem> some people not wanting any kind of change. Simply ignoring TRT/Thaksin's behaviour and saying "If the poor farmers voted for him then no matter what it is Democracy!" This whole thing is about abuse of power and the systemic destruction of the checks and balances systems.

I for one think that if the courts prove in the long run to have been subbourned by TRT/Thaksin we will yet again see the PAD in the streets protesting. Yes using that RIGHT which is promised to them in the constitution! I'd rather seee the courts do what is right ... but with Thaksin's last minute meeting with the AG followed by this new round of mess .... who knows!

I doubt the courts would drag their feet too much because the King said fix. Remember Thaksin is doing his best to screw with things so he will try to slow it down. I suspect the King may get fed up and end Thaksin, but Thaksin may refuse to listen as he has already done.

Edited by john Krukowski

Ayutthaya businessmen predict economic difficulties if two big parties dissolve

Leading businessmen in Ayutthaya predict economic turmoil if the Thai Rak Thai TRT) and Democrat parties are dissolved by the Constitution Court.

Sitthisak Wong-on (สิทธิศักดิ์ วงษ์อ่อน), chairman of the Ayutthaya chapter of the Federation of Thai Industries, said the dissolution will erode confidence of investors and about 10% of those preparing to invest in Ayutthaya may postpone their projects or move their businesses to other countries.

Mr. Sitthisak said the country will lose about 10 billion baht of income from the industrial sector if the two big parties are dissolved.

Suwanlop Puwapunditsin (สุวรรณลภ ภูวบัณฑิตสิน), chairman of the Ayutthaya Chamber of Commerce, said he hoped the court will find another exit rather than dissolving those two parties or the country’s economy can come to a standstill.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 June 2006

If the Courts had not ruled the April 2 election invalid then the changes that everyone wanted would probably have been made

Why are you so certain? Most probably by-elections would still be going on now in the South.

If you want to roll back times - how about Thaksin stepping down quietly without needless House dissolution. That's what started all this mess.

Don't forget that when this current mess is sorted out it will be turn of Shin sale mess that.

Good trick by Thaksin - when facing personal problems create a huge one on the national scale, hoping people will forget about you.

The Constitution Court guarantees fairness for 5 parties charged with ruining democracy

Acting Constitution Court president Pan Chantarapan (ผัน จันทรปาน) guarantees fairness for five political parties facing threats of being disbanded for allegedly undermining democracy.

Mr. Pan said the court is now waiting for prosecution reports from the Office of the Attorney-General. He said he can not set the timeframe for the trials but said the court will work as fast and as best as it can.

The five parties charged with committing crime against democracy under the Political Parties Act are Thai Rak Thai, Democrat, Pattana Chart Thai (พัฒนาชาติไทย), Progressive Democracy and Paendin Thai (แผ่นดินไทย).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 June 2006

I guess there is a big political problem going on and I guess that this has made a big problem for Thailand and I guess this is really a mess and I guess it is important that it all be straightened out as soon as possible and I guess that having to put off an election until after October is really bad and will make things really alot worse.....but.....most of the people who voted Toxin into office are not really being effected by these matters in any appreciable way....at least I don't see any effect in my village and I doubt that villagers in Isaan are much affected. The weather has a bigger effect on us than this political situation.

Just exactly what is the big problem with what's going on? Is it that fact that big business will suffer somewhat? My guess is that this will effect Bangkok a lot more than the villages.....I really don't see how what is going on constitutes a big problem (at least so far) for MOST Thais.

As an aside: The rise in oil prices has not really had an appreciable effect on the people in my village either other than prices going up. Prices going up generally while not a cause for rejoicing is on the other hand not a cause for dispair and moaning either...at least this is how I interpret its impact here locally. No one thinks twice about the cost of fuel for their motorcycle or tractor or bicycle. People take fewer frivolous trips in their four wheeled vehicles though.....overall not a heartbreaker.

Edited by chownah

'chownah' finished post #989 with:

"People take fewer frivolous trips in their four wheeled vehicles though.....overall not a heartbreaker."

Exactly.

The villages have a fundamental stability, and 'hard times' means cutting back a bit on inessentials, but there is still food on the table and somewhere to live.

But the city-slickers are much more vulnerable.

At best, the rising oil price puts up the cost of going to work, but that can be compensated for by cutting out some luxury like the UBC subscription.

But, at worst, 'hard times' there can mean loss of one's job, at a time when the credit card is near its maximum and there is still a lot to pay off on the mortgage.

What to do then?

Lucky will be those who can leave the credit card to just be the Bank's worry as an NPL, give the keys to the mortgage holder, and go to the grandparents in the village and learn peasantry.

They'll be a lot better off than those, elsewhere in the world, who are trapped in non-performing exurbias.