Thaksin Returns As Pm

John K

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oldmanriver, do you seriously belive that Thamarak talked about WC with the guys or you are just playing devils advocate?

Plus, yes I was playing devils advocate. My point is in Thailand it is very, very difficult to convict powerful people with circumstantial evidence, no matter how damning it may seem to us. Even some times with actual proof, it gets explained away with some of the most off the wall comments. I will never forget when the Saudi government provided the Thai authorities with a videotape on the jewel heist the videotape actually sat in a desk drawer for years. When discovered the excuse was that they couldn't play the videotape because it was based on the NTSC system and Thailand was based on PAL. This is several years after I had bought a VCR at Central Chidlom that could play both NTSC and PAL tapes. I just don't think putting very powerful people in jail and disbanding a powerful political party is going to happen, unless the proof is overwhelmingly valid with no room for doubt whatsoever. A videotape without audio leaves room for doubt.

It always worries me when some reasonably intelligent people can't seem to see what is happening.

Forget about TS and the TRT for a moment, pretend the don't exist, think like a Democrat organizer for a second.

The Democrats know they don't have a hope of forming the government in the next election, if something very drastic does not happen soon. Their alliance with the PAD did not see a huge downturn in TRT votes, the TRT did not implode, they have not made any inroads in the rural north and the King nixed their Article 7 bid. Politically they are not in good shape. The Democrats are now bringing suit against any and everyone hoping that the courts will find someone, anyone, guilty of something to strengthen their position for the next election. For them the "Hail Marry Pass" is the dissolution of the TRT just like Article 7 was during the boycott, but they will settle for any crumb the courts would give them and run with it for all it is worth. This is all political posturing for the next election and anyone that thinks that the Democrats, or any other party, would never sink to that low level. has been in the sun too long.

lukamar is exactly right in describing the 'existential angst' the dems are expriencing at the moment.

i'd like to add that many democrats are increasingly questioning the leadership of their party, including some amongst the old democrat establishment.

while the talk is focused on Thaksin as usual, i wonder of Abhisit will last the year?

Thamarak will explain allegation at 2pm

Defence Minister Gen Thamarak Isarangura will give a press briefing this afternoon after Democrat Party accused him in a court of hiring small parties to contest in the April 2 election.

He moved up the briefing from Friday to today for unknown reason.

Democrat Secretary General Suthep Thaugsuban presented to the Court on Monday a closed circuit video footage from Defence Ministry on March 3. Suthep claims to be a shady deal struck between a small party and the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party.

Full story from The Nation here.

Oldmanriver, the lawlessness in Thailand has another side - if the powers that be decided on something, nothing can stop them.

Here's a quote from a note to investors from Phatra Securities:

"Powerful sources in Bangkok have aligned themselves against TRT. Recent developments suggest a movement commited to ejecting TRT out of Thailand's political system."

Seems like TRT has got himself in real trouble.

I just don't think putting very powerful people in jail and disbanding a powerful political party is going to happen, unless the proof is overwhelmingly valid with no room for doubt whatsoever

The proof and evidence that mean a lot to us are just tools in Thai political games where courts and parties are just projections of power behind them.

I don't know what made the difference in the past few months. Probably not the Shin sell off itself but rather mass rallies that followed.

lukamar is exactly right in describing the 'existential angst' the dems are expriencing at the moment.

i'd like to add that many democrats are increasingly questioning the leadership of their party, including some amongst the old democrat establishment.

The same could be said about TRT - they just filed another batch of lawsuits against Sondhi, The Manager, Pudjakarn. Suits against PAD rally speakers and their dogs are pending - TRT party Xerox run out of paper and ink.

Hopefully something good comes out of this - I mean existential soul searching.

Older Democrats might want to return the party to Southerners but last time they tried (with Bandtan for 2005 elections) it ended in disaster. Abhisit is easily the best they've got, which is not very much, sadly.

It always worries me when some reasonably intelligent people can't seem to see what is happening.

Forget about TS and the TRT for a moment, pretend the don't exist, think like a Democrat organizer for a second.

The Democrats know they don't have a hope of forming the government in the next election, if something very drastic does not happen soon. Their alliance with the PAD did not see a huge downturn in TRT votes, the TRT did not implode, they have not made any inroads in the rural north and the King nixed their Article 7 bid. Politically they are not in good shape. The Democrats are now bringing suit against any and everyone hoping that the courts will find someone, anyone, guilty of something to strengthen their position for the next election. For them the "Hail Marry Pass" is the dissolution of the TRT just like Article 7 was during the boycott, but they will settle for any crumb the courts would give them and run with it for all it is worth. This is all political posturing for the next election and anyone that thinks that the Democrats, or any other party, would never sink to that low level. has been in the sun too long.

while the talk is focused on Thaksin as usual, i wonder of Abhisit will last the year?

TD, it is going to be interesting. Just for the record, there has been discord from many of the old establishment within the Democratic party since Khun Abhisit was first named to head the party. While publicly supporting him to show party unity, privately it has been a wait and see attitude, with miracles expected.

Since I doubt miracles will happen (i.e. TRT will win majority again), he could be replaced. However, I think it will be a big mistake unless it is with Khun Korn. The political arena has changed. It is now a chess game of legal moves and counter moves. The only way the Demos will be able to counter possible corruption on the upcoming mega contracts +++, is to have a leader (and team) who can operate at this level. They have one now and replacing him would be a mistake.

I am surprised you didn't take it one step further:

If the courts do dissolve the TRT party, there would in effect be no (interim) government, and therefore the courts would have no option than to invoke Article 7 asking the King to appoint an interim government until an election took place..

Same if the courts rule that Thaksin's leave of absense was illegal. Some lawyers argue that his April 5 letter equals his resignation. In that case the whole cabinet needs to resign until the new PM is chosen...

Same if the courts rule that Thaksin's leave of absense was illegal. Some lawyers argue that his April 5 letter equals his resignation. In that case the whole cabinet needs to resign until the new PM is chosen...

I have talked to some of those lawyers. Their position is that since Dr. Thaksin specifically quoted a law (forget which one) for his "leave of absence," in actuality it is not a leave of absence, but a straight letter of resignation with no going back. However, since nobody has a copy of the actual resignation and it cannot be located, nothing will come to pass on this.

The same could be said about TRT - they just filed another batch of lawsuits against Sondhi, The Manager, Pudjakarn. Suits against PAD rally speakers and their dogs are pending - TRT party Xerox run out of paper and ink.

Hopefully something good comes out of this - I mean existential soul searching.

Exactly. TRT is doing the same. It's all posturing and scrambling for a better position for the upcoming election.

It would also be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the discussions concerning members moving from one party to another. I'll hazard a guess that the first thing out of the defectors mouth, in every case, is "What's in it for me?". You bet there is something, money, power, higher ranking on the party list, something. It's all politics, Thai Style.

If the courts do dissolve the TRT party, there would in effect be no (interim) government, and therefore the courts would have no option than to invoke Article 7 asking the King to appoint an interim government until an election took place..

And then.... Thailand would be back to the one party (the coalition opposition parties) election that the King was so adamant was not right with the last election and the courts would defiantly NOT have fixed the mess. Maybe the new election could ultimately be annulled due to unconstitutionality issues as well, like the government is not representative of the majority of Thai citizens or the rural poor could protest in mass and call for the resignation of the new government. It's a very sticky issue and a ruling not to be taken lightly.

Thamarak will explain allegation at 2pm

Defence Minister Gen Thamarak Isarangura will give a press briefing this afternoon after Democrat Party accused him in a court of hiring small parties to contest in the April 2 election.

and his explanation... is... well... uhmm.... weak? :

2712362270.jpg

Thammarak denies bribing officials

Embattled caretaker Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya categorically denied yesterday allegations that he paid small parties to contest the April 2 general election boycotted by the main opposition parties.

A tense-looking Thammarak, visited the Election Commission yesterday morning before holding a press conference at the Defense Ministry in the afternoon, during which he protested his innocence and condemned the Democrats for making false charges against him.

“I want to insist that I did not meet with any small party leaders, nor did I pay them money to field candidates to contest the April 2 general election,” Thammarak said.

He added that he was the victim of “political mudslinging” because of his influence in the key northeastern region. He also claimed the Democrat party had fabricated evidence against him to discredit the TRT party.

Thammarak also denied he was the man in the picture that Suthep Thaugsuban, the Democrat secretary-general, presented to the Criminal Court as evidence of the defence minister’s misconduct.

Suthep is accusing the TRT party of hiring small parties to get around the regulation that unopposed candidates must win at least 20 percent of the constituency votes. If the allegations of serious election fraud by the Thai Rak Thai party are found to be true, the party could be dissolved.

After recording Thammarak’s testimony, Virachai Naewboonnien, one of the three remaining EC commissioners, who is himself under pressure to resign, said Thammarak had denied all the charges against him.

“Thammarak said that he was not the man in the picture that Suthep Thaugsuban had produced and claimed was him.” Virachai said. “Thammarak also denied that he knew the person in the picture.”

Furthermore, Virachai said the EC investigation would be concluded quickly and that the EC would not summon any more witnesses.

The TRT party came out in a show of support for Thammarak yesterday.

“The party does not care about the accusations being brought against a top party executive because we do not have a policy of hiring small parties,” said Phimuk Simarot, the TRT deputy spokesman.

“We do not believe that Gen Thammarak would act in such a manner,” he said. “But a distinction should be made between the person and the party.”

Surachai Baochanya, Thammarak’s lawyer, questioned the authenticity of the CCTV footage. “We think that the pictures have been edited or tampered with,” he said.

He also condemned Suthep for not going straight to the EC with his allegations.

“Suthep should have filed the complaint with the EC and allowed the accused to defend himself before going to other courts,” he said.

- TD

TRT shuns Thammarak

Spokesman: Party did not do any bankrolling

Thai Rak Thai yesterday distanced itself from Thammarak Isarangkura na Ayudhaya, implicated in the alleged bankrolling of small parties to contest the April 2 polls, saying it was unaware of what the embattled deputy party leader had done.

Party spokesman Phimuk Simaroj said since Thai Rak Thai had never hired small parties, the allegations thus only targeted Gen Thammarak as an individual.

Thai Rak Thai deputy leader Pokin Polakul echoed Mr Phimuk's comments, saying it would be unfair to hold the whole party responsible for an individual's act which was seen as benefiting Thai Rak Thai. :o why not? that's the whole point of the law...and and it's a justifiable conclusion Since there were over a hundred party executives and millions of members across the country, there was no way to keep track of what everyone did. :D how about just the handful few at the very top of TRT? there aren't many further up the whole TRT food chain than Thammarak.

Gen Thammarak said he was not the man in the footage shown in court on Monday. Instead, the minister introduced "Uan", or Col Cherdpong Boonyakiat, his long-time personal photographer, to about 50 newsmen who gathered at the Defence Ministry for his press conference. Gen Thammarak claimed the officer was the man in the footage and that the whole scene had been a set-up. :D getting laughable now... "it was my photographic twin"

Gen Thammarak suspected the footage was leaked to outsiders by either Vision and Security System, the company that installed the surveillance equipment, or defence officials who might have been upset by the recent mid-year reshuffle. "If I find out who they are, I'll give them a good kick," he said. :D:D uh oh.... not sure if that's a euphemism or not... and this level-headed, humble speaker is the high-ranking TRT, TRT Cabinet holding Defence Minister?? :D ...

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/01Jun2006_news01.php

Edited by sriracha john

Kingdom in grip of destruction

Privy Counsellor Dr Kasem Wattanachai warned yesterday that the declining value of honesty and integrity among young people indicated that Thailand is in the grip of a destructive form of capitalism.

Kasem, an advocate of educational reform, said this form of destructive capitalism had four main characteristics - "corruption, cronyism, multiple standards and populism without any rule."

He cited a recent opinion poll which asked 3,000 high school students in Bangkok if they believed corruption in politics was acceptable if politicians ultimately honoured their promises. Fifty-one per cent said "yes".

"These students will go to college, graduate and become the future of our society. I find it hard to imagine what will become of our country if it is full of people thinking this way," Kasem said.

"In fact, ideas like it's acceptable to cheat to get rich and money can buy everything have already spread throughout the country to grassroots people living on flood plains and in the mountains," he added.

Kasem yesterday delivered the keynote speech at the public forum "Thailand in Crisis: chased by capitalism". The forum, organised by the biweekly business publication Prachachart Turakij, addressed the crisis from three angles: social, economic and political.

Kasem said he would focus on social issues and skip politics, but another speaker - Thirayuth Boonmi - remarked that Kasem's address had pinpointed the heart of the county's political problems.

"It is terrible that people feel they can lie without believing that they have done something wrong. Distortion becomes a habit," Kasem said.

The privy counsellor said he was afraid that such negative values would become even more deeply rooted in society and called for families and schools to start restoring religious teaching in order to bring back "truth, integrity and loving kindness for other people".

"The Venerable Buddhadasa Bhikku taught us to get rid of ignorance, greed, defilement and selfishness, but people today don't heed the essence of Buddhist teaching. They run around nine temples a day worshipping Buddha images but fail to learn what is at the heart of our religion."

Kasem also cautioned against the dangers of financial and economic liberalisation, saying the 1997 economic crisis was a sign that Thailand might not be strong enough to compete in a market ruled by economic superpowers.

"We have to look at why some countries open their economy with caution," he said. "And why some open their markets only to face problems."

Nantiya Tangwisutijit

The Nation

more pearls of simplicity from Thammarak... with more distancing by TRT's Big Dog of the man he handpicked:

"Thammarak will have to explain that himself," Thaksin told reporters, referring to Defense Minister Thammarak Israngura of whom the Democrats have published still pictures taken from closed circuit television film of him with fringe party leaders at the ministry in March.

"That wasn't me," Thammarak told reporters. "If any of them do say they have received the money from me, you can come and shoot me in the head," Thammarak said.

Reuters

I can't find the exact quote right now but in the EC bribery panel report they argued simply that since Thamarak had no personal benefit whatsoever his actions must be tied to the party, not himself as an idividual.

and on another front...

Thai court turns up heat on election body to quit

BANGKOK - Thailand's Supreme Court rejected on Wednesday a bid to nominate candidates for two empty seats on the Election Commission, raising pressure on its members, accused of favoring the government, to resign.

A rare sitting of all Supreme Court judges voted 72 to 4 to turn down the outgoing Senate's call following an inconclusive April 2 snap general election later declared unlawful, court spokesman Wirat Chinwinigkul told reporters.

Wirat did not say why most judges rejected the request, but analysts said the decision reinforced calls by the top courts, told by revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej to solve the political mess the election left, for the commissioners to go.

"It is obvious that the court is stepping up its call for the stubborn Election Commission to quit," political commentator Sukhum Nualskul said of a body which has become the main immediate hurdle to resolving a constitutional crisis.

"Many people were relieved to see His Majesty the King telling the top courts to end the political crisis, but so far the EC seems to be the only group that isn't heeding His Majesty's remarks."

- Reuters

Here's a quote from a note to investors from Phatra Securities:

"Powerful sources in Bangkok have aligned themselves against TRT. Recent developments suggest a movement commited to ejecting TRT out of Thailand's political system."

Seems like TRT has got himself in real trouble.

Since my info is sketchy at best, all I know is that there is concern over a draft bill written prior to the PM's leave of absence. Perhaps you or our reporter from the Bangkok Herald Examiner would have more info on this.

Administrative Court rejects case on PM's status

The Central Administrative Court Thursday rejected a suit filed by a caretaker senator and the People's Network for Election (Pnet) seeking to disqualify Thaksin Shinawatra as caretaker prime minister.

The court reasoned that it had no power to try the case as the case would involve interpretation of legality of the Constitution, and thus it should be sent to the Constitution Court.

Full story at The Nation.

Bangkok Herald Examiner

a perspicacious publication it is ..... :D:D

yeah... what he said... also, it has the best society page section in Thailand.

I have been trying in vain for some time to get home delivery of the Herald-Examiner in Chiang Mai. :o

This is better to watch than the O.J. trial. There are more players and higher stakes.

It seems the TRT is doing some major amputating trying to save itself. I wonder when they will amputate the body to save the head.

Gen Thammarak suspected the footage was leaked to outsiders by either Vision and Security System, the company that installed the surveillance equipment, or defence officials who might have been upset by the recent mid-year reshuffle. "If I find out who they are, I'll give them a good kick," he said.
The give someone a kick comment could be ominous for the leaker. High ranking officials with very high opinions of themselves do not take lightly to having their face publically broken.

Having just seen the Tak Bai footage last night, I don't think the General's statement was a metaphor.

Of course that was the police at Tak Bai.

(And some helpful citizens in blue jeans with automatic weapons.)

Apples and - - ?

Rigghhhht.

Bad applesauce anyone?

jb

Bangkok Herald Examiner

a perspicacious publication it is ..... :D:D

yeah... what he said... also, it has the best society page section in Thailand.

I have been trying in vain for some time to get home delivery of the Herald-Examiner in Chiang Mai. :o

We tried providing that, but the delivery man never made it past Nakhon Sawan... He came back from there without the papers and said he had been over-powered and the papers taken away by three very beautiful local women there inside a massage parlor. As he described it, he just barely escaped himself...

So, for anyone living in that area.... somewhere in Nakhon Sawan is a large stack of Bangkok Herald-Examiner papers (I believe it was March 3, 2006 issue) for which a generous reward will be paid for their return.

is it possible to make it any clearer to the EC?????

Court deals blow to EC

Remaining members 'have lost legitimacy'

The Supreme Court yesterday drove the final nail into the Election Commission's coffin, saying the remaining commissioners had lost the legitimacy to continue working. The message appeared in a letter sent to caretaker Senate Speaker Suchon Chaleekrua by Supreme Court president Charnchai Likhitjittha, after the court rejected his call for it to name candidates to fill two vacancies on the EC.

The 82-member assembly of judges attached to the Supreme Court turned down Mr Suchon's plea by a margin of 72 to four. Six judges abstained.

In the letter, the Supreme Court said its decision was based on the Constitution Court's ruling that nullified the April 2 poll on the grounds it was unconstitutional.

The assembly of Supreme Court judges took that to mean the current poll commission has lost the independence needed to be the poll regulator under article 136 of the constitution.

''If the three commissioners continue to work, they will cause endless problems of legality. And nominating two commissioners cannot solve such problems,'' read the letter.

The court also noted that the three remaining commissioners are facing a number of lawsuits for alleged mishandling of the April 2 general election. Several of the suits have been accepted for hearings.

''This shows the three commissioners do not deserve to be trusted to carry on with their work. The assembly of the judges is not in a position to lend them support,'' read the letter.

The court also said it would name the candidates only after the three commissioners resigned to pave the way for a new selection.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/02Jun2006_news01.php