If You Don't Like Thailand, Why Stay Here ?

10Yen

Care to give me a list of things that are cheaper here ?

I didn't think so.

massage ("legitimate" and otherwise)*

taxis

Thai food*

Lao food*

Chinese food

Middle Eastern food

mall food courts with quality food*

produce, etc., bought in a fresh market

shoe repair, clothing alteration, and a host of other basic services

drugs (of the legal/medicinal variety)

basic gyms (such as the one in Lumpini Park)

girlie bars (of all variety)*

boy bars (of all variety)*

sex for pay*

Asian-style nightclubs/discos*

karaoke bars/restaurants*

transportation in general*

beer in 7-11 and other convenience stores

housing

hotels (especially when "star level"/quality is taken into account)

* = not only cheap in Thailand, but virtually impossible to find in the West OR impossible to find a version even remotely approaching the quality level in Thailand

Talk about a deal.........renting a house here in Udon (3 bedroom/3 bathrrom) on 2 rai for 2500 a month. Internet is 850, water 100, Cable is 375, electriction 1000. Cannot find that deal anywhere I know of in Farangland, USA.

Same deal in my home State would be about 60,000. A night out is way cheaper here..with added benefits.

So, yes, Thailand is definitely cheaper... if you rent!!

dam_n, I spend a lot of my time in Singapore. My monthly rent for a closet-sized condo is 3000 (and that's in US dollars!). A Honda Civic would cost me more than US$100,000. I could go on. Suffice it to say, even when factoring in airfare and the occasional hotel (if I don't stay at my gf's place), I actually save money when I go to Thailand, even for short stays.

Edit: cute ... I didn't realise dam_n is still considered a naughty word, but the system automatically changes the spelling to something apparently more harmless

I'd much rather mention this than give the troll OP any satisfaction - yeah, i noticed the funny prudey dam_n, but what amused me is that it doesn't touch BLOODY at all !

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Aussie friends ask me that whenever I have a little whinge about anything.

I answer them by saying "and If you don't like Australia, why stay there?"

Note to self: For every 1 thing I don't like about Thailand there are at least 7 things I don't like about Australia!

• Like 1

Unlike in their home countries, foreigners in Thailand are surrounded by people whom the often don't share a language with and as a result, they can't casually vent their frustrations the way they did back home. They see Thaivisa as a meeting place of people more of their own kind and as a result you see more venting of frustration here than would otherwise be normal. It's not that people here can't handle Thailand, though those ones certainly exist, It's that this is where they feel comfortable venting frustrations and asking advice from others who share a similar situation. Its not much different than the banter in a lot of westerner frequented pubs.

• Like 1

I lived in patts.2yrs.early 80's there was hardly any crime I felt safe,but since living here north-east I and my wife are not sure we done the right thing moving back to Thailand perminantly.apart from the warm weather helps with my athritus it seems to be getting lawless,it doesn't seem anybody care's what happens and what I have noticed the future [kids] have no respect.

my wife likes being close to her sister and only 3hrs.away from her brothers sways it for her,for me its where the wife goes I go.

Unlike in their home countries, foreigners in Thailand are surrounded by people whom the often don't share a language with and as a result, they can't casually vent their frustrations the way they did back home. They see Thaivisa as a meeting place of people more of their own kind and as a result you see more venting of frustration here than would otherwise be normal. It's not that people here can't handle Thailand, though those ones certainly exist, It's that this is where they feel comfortable venting frustrations and asking advice from others who share a similar situation. Its not much different than the banter in a lot of westerner frequented pubs.

I think that sums a lot of it up ... and some see the glass half empty and some half full... I just wish we had a nice lounge bar on TV to separate the toffs from the hoi polloi in the public bar...

as for the bit that it doesn't sum up... only a minority of farangs in Thailand use TV; most of the happy adjusted ones don't have the time or interest.

Many complicated answers.

The people who don't like it are jealous wanke_rs writing from another country. biggrin.png

You can tell this because of all the basic stupid mistakes they make when talking about Thailand.

Why the people post in the Thai news forum confuses/amuses me. I can't think of a reason. You can tell they don't live in Thailand and have no in depth knowledge about Thailand.

I agree totally!

Maybe also had one bad experience here on a 2 weeks visit and figures one bad apple spoiled the whole lot.

I love it. Will never leave. Can't think of a reason to want to go.

Thai people don't like beards. If you were told you must shave or leave, what would you do?

Well, I never heard that one before. But if were true let me put it to you this way.

I don't really like taking my shoes off every time I enter a house or certain building, especially when I am wearing Running Shoes, but I do. It is there country and there custom, so as a welcomed visitor I respect that. You should to. If I really hated doing this then I would avoid going to these places and stay at home. Were I could sleep with my shoes on if I wanted to, and not offend anybody. So here is my answers to your question as follows:

1) If you want to stay here shave your Beard.

2) If you don't want to shave your Beard then go home quietly.

3) If you want to come here knowing ahead of time that this is a Thai Tradition or Custom, and yet you want to fight for your rights to be able to grow a Beard in Thailand, then stay at home. You won't change anything! You will just make it worst for the rest of us who like it here. Probably also get yourself locked up for that to, which I guess is not a great way to spend your holiday!

Lastly

4) With a Beard, some Thais might think that you are from Afghanistan. In that case they may not want you here. This is because they already know you spent all your money on a Grenade Launcher and an AK-47 and don't have any money left over for Hotels Rooms, Bar Girls, and Booze. Or your ticket home. Which you would not have needed if you did not come here in the first place.

You're making the same mistake that many make when discussing this type of topic. There's a difference (huge difference) between venting/complaining and hating. The former is perfectly ok, even normal. The latter I personally despise. You have to admit that there are a lot of haters on TV. And I despise them all.

Stupid post!

People love to blow off steam, and this forum is the ideal platform; you'd soon be very unpopular if you were to rant about your dislikes everywhere you go. At least here there are like/unlike minded people so we can all 'ave a go.

If your point is for self justification [of reason why you stay], it's still stupid. If it's yet another 'bugger-off then', don't you think we are all a little tired of it by now.

Wherever you are it's healthy to exhaust frustration in a sensible manner. Better that than bottling it up.

Probably has something to do with things being less expensive (if it was more expensive then my home country, I likely would not be here).

Care to give me a list of things that are cheaper here ?

I didn't think so.

Water, (bottled or from the tap)

Electric

Plumbers

Builders

Building supplies ( no way could you build an extension on your house in UK for 5K)

Planning permission and fees would cost almost that.

Gardeners, cleaners, ....the list goes on....

Meaning what?

I was just saying that most things are cheaper here, property being 'dirt' cheap in comparison to the UK, no need to be a t**t mate.

I was replying to another post, anyway, if you read it properly, it says i could buy property here, didnt say i could own it, so jog on, and twist someone else's words around that gives a toss....

You never seem to be happy unless you're trying to wind someone one up.

Meaning what?

I was just saying that most things are cheaper here, property being 'dirt' cheap in comparison to the UK, no need to be a t**t mate.

I was replying to another post, anyway, if you read it properly, it says i could buy property here, didnt say i could own it, so jog on, and twist someone else's words around that gives a toss....

Stop feeding the hungry troll...

A simple question but a dumb question too. If you don't like something in TH (like corruption, greedy politicians, extremely high accident rate, drug, etc.) this doesn't mean at all you don't like Thailand I guess.

Meaning what?

Stop feeding the hungry troll...
Yes, you are right....sorry...555

He can troll me if he likes,it is like water off a duck's back to me, no problem....

I love it, my only, negativity, is driving, its dangerous..

Love the Weather,People are nice,Cost of living great..

All good stuff...

Same Same. Dangerous driving and yapping dogs are my gripes. Otherwise love the place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app