Phuket Court denies bail for Garry Halpin, former Tourist Police Volunteer

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now to the second post, I think all foreign tourist cops are dregs, looking to make themselves important, losers with too many chips on their shoulders. All the ones I have seen are ignorant, rude in speech, always trying to talk down to one and basically have no manners, plus their schooling seems to have ended at 15 or 16 years old, latest.

May I politely suggest that there are many exceptions to the above - you seem to have met the wrong 'uns.... coffee1.gif

Simon (Msc, MA, BSc [Hons-1], DUC)

• Like 1

wow... this clown has seen with his own eyes what happens to offenders, the farangs and poor Thais (the rich ones pay a bit of tea money and are gone from the system.. allegedly) when they get collared and sent down and yet he does it anyway? Not too much sympathy I'm afraid especially as he's probably had a hand in other people's downfall. His time in prison will be less than happy methinks

You do not know if he has "had a hand in other peoples downfall." Get a life.

Get a Google.... "Top Cop cleared South African Cash for Freedom" .... This low life is well known around Chalong and Rawai for shaking down tourists. This is just one example. There are many many. Halpin, a well known lawyer and the policeman shared 800,000 Baht.

Edited by Nip
  • Like 1

Google...Top Cop cleared South African Cash for Freedom

I Googled and found nothing......

It's the headline from a Phuket Gazette story. Halpin set up the South African guy for an 800K scam.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 9.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why does this guy ( even though he looks a little ill in the photo ) look very familiar? Was he one of the tourist cops in the big trouble series, or does he just look like someone i may have seen before???

As I never went to University, I would not know if he looks like someone you have seen before.maby someone with a higher intellengance that I can answer that for you.

Nope!

You never seen him before.

Your Welcome.

• Like 1

You are wrong on all counts.

Yes, I remember. That is not what you said. You are now saying

"In Thailand anyone who gets arrested is automatically guilty because the Thai police never ever arrest innocent people!"

If you were trying to be sarcastic then that means that Gary possibly could be innocent, so you agree with my point.

That is a lot different to your first quote

"that if the police in Thailand arrest a person then they are automatically presumed guilty, even the courts will presume they are guilty. Do they?

Automatically assumed guilty by who? You?

Can't you see the difference between your two statements? Doesn't really matter because both are nonsense.

You say "even the courts will presume they are guilty." You sound like you must be a member of the bar. I think I know which one.

2. Office of the Attorney General

A public prosecutor is an official under the office of the Attorney General and is governed by the Regulation of Public Prosecutor Officers Act 1978 (B.E. 2521). The Office of the Attorney-General, formerly called the Public Prosecution Department, was separated from the Ministry of Interior and became a state agency under the direct supervision of the Prime Minister in 1991 to make the Office free from outside influence and interference.

The public prosecutor is responsible for bringing a criminal prosecution on behalf of the government and represents the government in civil cases where the government is a party to the proceedings. When the investigation is completed, a report is filed with the public prosecutor, who then prepares an indictment and gives a copy to the accused or his counsel, who enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.

Based on the plea and the evidence that has been gathered, the judge either accepts a case for trial or dismisses all charges. Trials are normally held in open court, and the accused is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty. If the defendant has no counsel and wishes to be represented the court appoints a defence attorney. During trials, accused persons or their counsels can cross-examine prosecution witnesses and re-examine defence witnesses.

ref:http://www.thailawonline.com/en/others/criminal-law/criminal-law-in-thailand.html

The Thai Criminal Court hears two types of cases: (1) cases in which Defendants are accused of criminal conduct by public prosecutors, and (2) cases in which the Court accepts the prosecution of a criminal case arising from a civil lawsuit filed by a Plaintiff. In either type, one of the first courses of action for Defendants is to apply for a provisional release pending trial to avoid being detained or, what is more commonly known as posting bail. Essentially, the Court will allow the temporary release of Defendants during trial because the core principle of Thai criminal proceedings is that Defendants are innocent until proven guilty, as stated in the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand of 2007, Section 39. Limitations on bail are detailed in the Section 108/1 of the Criminal Procedure Code and require the Court to withhold the release of Defendants if there is reason to believe that the Defendant will escape, tamper with evidence, or otherwise cause any difficulties.

Ref:http://www.csbc-law.com/thai-law-insights/foreign-defendants-bail-in-thai-criminal-courts-and-implications-on-travelling-businesspeople.html

But I am sure you know better.

Then you say " Now to the second post, I think all foreign tourist cops are dregs, looking to make themselves important, losers with too many chips on their shoulders. All the ones I have seen are ignorant, rude in speech, always trying to talk down to one and basically have no manners, plus their schooling seems to have ended at 15 or 16 years old, latest."

You must have spent many years traveling around Thailand in the company of all the tourist cops, or is that just a slight generalization? How many tourist police have you actually met or you really just mean seen and can know all that just by the way they look?? Where do you get your analytical skills from that you can make such broad sweeping statements?? As I said in my post "Or is his guilt and hang him high mentality just based on your prejudice of him being a volunteer tourist policeman?" Looks like you have just answered my question again.

Maybe you are just jealous they possibly had more schooling than you.

You say "As this thread is about Gary the presumed guilty ex.oink then I will not discuss the workings of the Thai police as they are off subject. So no comment about the Thai hot fuzz."

Presumed guilty by who, you? I thought the workings of the Thai Police was part of this subject. So now you are calling them hot fuzz, sounds like a comment to me.

And lastly, I don't drink and haven't been drunk since I was in my early 20's, so wrong again..

Your and some other posters speed of condemning someone they don't know, on a thread of evidence and lack of empathy is outstanding.

And no, I am not a tourist policeman. Peace man.

The highly trained and highly paid Thai police must be totally infallible and would never set anyone up in your eyes? Never telling any pork pies? Amazing, even in Australia there have been many police found to have set people up for various reasons. One of many examples that springs to my mind is Roger Rogerson. Try googling him if you can put your beer down and know how to. Glad that could never happen in Thailand. Without knowing Gary, or his side of the story and based on evidence of a Thai newspaper article, which we all know are always sourced by the best investigative reporters in the world, being always 100% accurate, you can make this educated assumption he is guilty. Or do you know something we don't know? Maybe you will need to pray to your invisible friend if you end up behind bars.

Or is his guilt and hang him high mentality just based on your prejudice of him being a volunteer tourist policeman?

Tell me now, do you think all tourist police are the scum of the earth and all the Thai police would never dream of perverting the course of justice are only there to put evil criminals behind bars?

I am not saying he is guilty or innocent based on the small amount of evidence I have seen, but i think the very least he deserves is for any decent person to keep an open mind. I do know he devoted much time and energy helping many people in Phuket including myself on two occasions and helping out at Phuket bike week.

He should at least be treated as being innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt which is the case in any civilized country. Even if found guilty that really does not mean he is guilty or if that was the case then no one would ever have been executed and later been found to be innocent and exonerated.

Treat him with the respect he deserves !!

Respect! What respect does this asswi*e deserve pray tell? He's just another pathetic wannabe cop who was dealing dope. A loser who could legally don a silly uniform and then believe that he had the power to command the public. I have seen too many of these toady foreign tourist cops who are just full of their own self importance. In any civilized country these prats wouldn't even be employed as police station cleaners.

As AC/DC said, "Good riddance to bad rubbish".

Sent from my e1909c_v77_gq1008_a41_6628 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Read what I posted again, that's if you can, my first post remember. I said that if the police in Thailand arrest a person then they are automatically presumed guilty, even the courts will presume they are guilty.

Now to the second post, I think all foreign tourist cops are dregs, looking to make themselves important, losers with too many chips on their shoulders. All the ones I have seen are ignorant, rude in speech, always trying to talk down to one and basically have no manners, plus their schooling seems to have ended at 15 or 16 years old, latest.

As this thread is about Gary the presumed guilty ex.oink then I will not discuss the workings of the Thai police as they are off subject. So no comment about the Thai hot fuzz.

You seem determined to pick at me over what I said about gary the ex oink. Well, what the law books say and what actually happens in reality are very different. In reality everyone, cops, judges, lawyers, probation, automatically assume that anyone who has been arrested is guilty. Thailand always has been that a person is guilty until you can prove their innocence, and normally innocence comes at a high price. Either one pays the police off before going to court, or if the case reaches the court, then one needs to pay the prosecutor and/or judge. Thai jails are full of poor people, as the rich manage to always slide away. When a person claims innocence, their trial will always happen many years later, as the courts blackmail a person into saying guilty. For a guilty plea the sentence will be reduced by half but when a person gets found guilty, and the poor always do, then the person gets double jail time. Gary oink is going to be in jail for quite some time, then deported and blacklisted (100 years).

As for my education level, well, I maybe a bit stupid at times but I'm certainly not that daft to get involved with asswi*e foreigners who wear stupid tourist cop uniforms. Happy now? Finished your silly little crusade now?

You say "As for my education level, well, I maybe a bit stupid at times" clap2.gif To me looks like it is another one of those times you are being a bit stupid. Fantastic, at least we have one point we can agree on. cheesy.gif Silly little crusade? No, I don't have a silly little crusade. Yes, I will finish in this conversation with you because I have waisted enough time here beating my head against a brick wall.

It's the headline from a Phuket Gazette story. Halpin set up the South African guy for an 800K scam.

Where? I found nothing either.

You are wrong on all counts.

Yes, I remember. That is not what you said. You are now saying

"In Thailand anyone who gets arrested is automatically guilty because the Thai police never ever arrest innocent people!"

If you were trying to be sarcastic then that means that Gary possibly could be innocent, so you agree with my point.

That is a lot different to your first quote

"that if the police in Thailand arrest a person then they are automatically presumed guilty, even the courts will presume they are guilty. Do they?

Automatically assumed guilty by who? You?

Can't you see the difference between your two statements? Doesn't really matter because both are nonsense.

You say "even the courts will presume they are guilty." You sound like you must be a member of the bar. I think I know which one.

2. Office of the Attorney General

A public prosecutor is an official under the office of the Attorney General and is governed by the Regulation of Public Prosecutor Officers Act 1978 (B.E. 2521). The Office of the Attorney-General, formerly called the Public Prosecution Department, was separated from the Ministry of Interior and became a state agency under the direct supervision of the Prime Minister in 1991 to make the Office free from outside influence and interference.

The public prosecutor is responsible for bringing a criminal prosecution on behalf of the government and represents the government in civil cases where the government is a party to the proceedings. When the investigation is completed, a report is filed with the public prosecutor, who then prepares an indictment and gives a copy to the accused or his counsel, who enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.

Based on the plea and the evidence that has been gathered, the judge either accepts a case for trial or dismisses all charges. Trials are normally held in open court, and the accused is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty. If the defendant has no counsel and wishes to be represented the court appoints a defence attorney. During trials, accused persons or their counsels can cross-examine prosecution witnesses and re-examine defence witnesses.

ref:http://www.thailawonline.com/en/others/criminal-law/criminal-law-in-thailand.html

The Thai Criminal Court hears two types of cases: (1) cases in which Defendants are accused of criminal conduct by public prosecutors, and (2) cases in which the Court accepts the prosecution of a criminal case arising from a civil lawsuit filed by a Plaintiff. In either type, one of the first courses of action for Defendants is to apply for a provisional release pending trial to avoid being detained or, what is more commonly known as posting bail. Essentially, the Court will allow the temporary release of Defendants during trial because the core principle of Thai criminal proceedings is that Defendants are innocent until proven guilty, as stated in the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand of 2007, Section 39. Limitations on bail are detailed in the Section 108/1 of the Criminal Procedure Code and require the Court to withhold the release of Defendants if there is reason to believe that the Defendant will escape, tamper with evidence, or otherwise cause any difficulties.

Ref:http://www.csbc-law.com/thai-law-insights/foreign-defendants-bail-in-thai-criminal-courts-and-implications-on-travelling-businesspeople.html

But I am sure you know better.

Then you say " Now to the second post, I think all foreign tourist cops are dregs, looking to make themselves important, losers with too many chips on their shoulders. All the ones I have seen are ignorant, rude in speech, always trying to talk down to one and basically have no manners, plus their schooling seems to have ended at 15 or 16 years old, latest."

You must have spent many years traveling around Thailand in the company of all the tourist cops, or is that just a slight generalization? How many tourist police have you actually met or you really just mean seen and can know all that just by the way they look?? Where do you get your analytical skills from that you can make such broad sweeping statements?? As I said in my post "Or is his guilt and hang him high mentality just based on your prejudice of him being a volunteer tourist policeman?" Looks like you have just answered my question again.

Maybe you are just jealous they possibly had more schooling than you.

You say "As this thread is about Gary the presumed guilty ex.oink then I will not discuss the workings of the Thai police as they are off subject. So no comment about the Thai hot fuzz."

Presumed guilty by who, you? I thought the workings of the Thai Police was part of this subject. So now you are calling them hot fuzz, sounds like a comment to me.

And lastly, I don't drink and haven't been drunk since I was in my early 20's, so wrong again..

Your and some other posters speed of condemning someone they don't know, on a thread of evidence and lack of empathy is outstanding.

And no, I am not a tourist policeman. Peace man.

The highly trained and highly paid Thai police must be totally infallible and would never set anyone up in your eyes? Never telling any pork pies? Amazing, even in Australia there have been many police found to have set people up for various reasons. One of many examples that springs to my mind is Roger Rogerson. Try googling him if you can put your beer down and know how to. Glad that could never happen in Thailand. Without knowing Gary, or his side of the story and based on evidence of a Thai newspaper article, which we all know are always sourced by the best investigative reporters in the world, being always 100% accurate, you can make this educated assumption he is guilty. Or do you know something we don't know? Maybe you will need to pray to your invisible friend if you end up behind bars.

Or is his guilt and hang him high mentality just based on your prejudice of him being a volunteer tourist policeman?

Tell me now, do you think all tourist police are the scum of the earth and all the Thai police would never dream of perverting the course of justice are only there to put evil criminals behind bars?

I am not saying he is guilty or innocent based on the small amount of evidence I have seen, but i think the very least he deserves is for any decent person to keep an open mind. I do know he devoted much time and energy helping many people in Phuket including myself on two occasions and helping out at Phuket bike week.

He should at least be treated as being innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt which is the case in any civilized country. Even if found guilty that really does not mean he is guilty or if that was the case then no one would ever have been executed and later been found to be innocent and exonerated.

Treat him with the respect he deserves !!

Respect! What respect does this asswi*e deserve pray tell? He's just another pathetic wannabe cop who was dealing dope. A loser who could legally don a silly uniform and then believe that he had the power to command the public. I have seen too many of these toady foreign tourist cops who are just full of their own self importance. In any civilized country these prats wouldn't even be employed as police station cleaners.

As AC/DC said, "Good riddance to bad rubbish".

Sent from my e1909c_v77_gq1008_a41_6628 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Read what I posted again, that's if you can, my first post remember. I said that if the police in Thailand arrest a person then they are automatically presumed guilty, even the courts will presume they are guilty.

As this thread is about Gary the presumed guilty ex.oink then I will not discuss the workings of the Thai police as they are off subject. So no comment about the Thai hot fuzz.

You seem determined to pick at me over what I said about gary the ex oink. Well, what the law books say and what actually happens in reality are very different. In reality everyone, cops, judges, lawyers, probation, automatically assume that anyone who has been arrested is guilty. Thailand always has been that a person is guilty until you can prove their innocence, and normally innocence comes at a high price. Either one pays the police off before going to court, or if the case reaches the court, then one needs to pay the prosecutor and/or judge. Thai jails are full of poor people, as the rich manage to always slide away. When a person claims innocence, their trial will always happen many years later, as the courts blackmail a person into saying guilty. For a guilty plea the sentence will be reduced by half but when a person gets found guilty, and the poor always do, then the person gets double jail time. Gary oink is going to be in jail for quite some time, then deported and blacklisted (100 years).

As for my education level, well, I maybe a bit stupid at times but I'm certainly not that daft to get involved with asswi*e foreigners who wear stupid tourist cop uniforms. Happy now? Finished your silly little crusade now?

You say "As for my education level, well, I maybe a bit stupid at times" clap2.gif To me looks like it is another one of those times you are being a bit stupid. Fantastic, at least we have one point we can agree on. cheesy.gif Silly little crusade? No, I don't have a silly little crusade. Yes, I will finish in this conversation with you because I have waisted enough time here beating my head against a brick wall.

***Oh, Mr.Ph.D! Did you mean waisted or wasted? Bye.***

Edited by Hawk

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2013/12/garry-takes-dive.html

Check this little morsel out, and the comments that follow it, as it seems Garry plonkett was a very greedy, naughty guy in Phuket, a druggie, a scammer and a leech. So the truth is coming out about Garry the ex oink but then it was bound to eventually. Read the last comment by statmonkey, enlightening.

Edited by Hawk

Here it is. If you go back through the links Halpin forced the guy to sign a police statement written in Thai ..... http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11222.html

Having had the great opportunity to own a bar or two around the world and not defending this guy at all but you can very easily be set up by local cops in the pay of a competitor or just someone who doesn't like you. In my first cafe I had to search behind the cushions every time one of my competitors came in, he would leave drugs all the time just before the bar got searched by the local Jandarmerie. But we were always onto him and the bag went into the canal (on 5 separate occasions) 10 minutes before they walked in.

Not saying he is innocent and it doesn't state whether or not he has pleaded guilty or not guilty but in Thail;and there is always that lingering doubt that the corrupt police system is at work.

I have no respect for tourist police volunteers as they must have mental problems to want to bust their fellow countrymen but I feel sorry for this guy; he looks a wretched human being in the picture. I hope he comes through this a better man.

So you got no time for the police in your own country.Dont they bust fellow countrymen? Everybody hates the cops, till they need them.

• Like 1

Why does this guy ( even though he looks a little ill in the photo ) look very familiar? Was he one of the tourist cops in the big trouble series, or does he just look like someone i may have seen before???

As I never went to University, I would not know if he looks like someone you have seen before.maby someone with a higher intellengance that I can answer that for you.

Nope!

You never seen him before.

Your Welcome.

Thanks mate, Ive been told, now I can sleep in peace.

wow... this clown has seen with his own eyes what happens to offenders, the farangs and poor Thais (the rich ones pay a bit of tea money and are gone from the system.. allegedly) when they get collared and sent down and yet he does it anyway? Not too much sympathy I'm afraid especially as he's probably had a hand in other people's downfall. His time in prison will be less than happy methinks

Get a Google.... "Top Cop cleared South African Cash for Freedom" .... This low life is well known around Chalong and Rawai for shaking down tourists. This is just one example. There are many many. Halpin, a well known lawyer and the policeman shared 800,000 Baht.

I am terrible terrible sorry that I have tarnished the image of TV by making a false statement. My apologies.

I am terrible terrible sorry that I have tarnished the image of TV by making a false statement. My apologies.

Silly person, it's your own reputation you've tarnished if anybody's, not TV. Anyway, now you know something you didn't know before so where's the harm?

Here it is. If you go back through the links Halpin forced the guy to sign a police statement written in Thai ..... http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article11222.html

Well, you got the headline almost right, but there is no mention of Gary Halpin in the article. It is about a Chalong Police duty officer Boonlert Onklang, who was cleared.

I said go back through the links and you will see how Halpin pushed the guy to sign a report in Thai he did not understand. Boonlert was transferred soon after.

I have no respect for tourist police volunteers as they must have mental problems to want to bust their fellow countrymen but I feel sorry for this guy; he looks a wretched human being in the picture. I hope he comes through this a better man.

So you got no time for the police in your own country.Dont they bust fellow countrymen? Everybody hates the cops, till they need them.

Nice try but not true. I had a girlfriend back in farangland who was a cop and I have lots of respect for them. I also used to wear a uniform and was prepared to die for my country. This Halpin character isn't a real cop; he is an opportunist and a wannabe cop. There is a huge difference. But, thanks for trying to paint me as a cop hater.

I said go back through the links and you will see how Halpin pushed the guy to sign a report in Thai he did not understand. Boonlert was transferred soon after.

Ok, I have found what you are talking about "While still in the cell a police officer brought a statement written in Thai for Sequeira to sign. He refused as he didn’t understand the document. But a New Zealander introduced to him as a tourism police officer and one of the few officials who could speak English, told him it was safe to sign the document as it was “just a formality”."

There is no mention of Gary by name and I don't know if Gary was the only tourist police from New Zealand working at Chalong, but the odds are it was him.

The story in http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/my-r200-000-holiday-hell-1.1147472#.Ut-hsEDQMnI

But convicting him over this on the basis of a newspaper article from South Africa, when Sequeira possibly had fake $US and if he did would be trying to blame others and plead innocent, again needs to be looked at in perspective. Gary was not charged. The other officer was, but cleared. Whether a person is found guilty of innocent by a court is never infallible. To believe what you read in a newspaper is not a good way to think you know the truth. Gary didn't have a trial. I haven't heard his side of the story. What the truth is I don't know, but many people will jump to assumptions.

When someone is accused of something, does not mean they are guilty.

• Like 1

I proffered just one instance there are many more. I have hands on knowledge and in the fullness of time the scrum bag will be exposed.

See his face in the picture...

I have seen this look before working on the fugitive gang task force in my prior life... what he's trying to say, without saying it is..

"will you please kill me.."

Guilty or not, this guy is in for a rough time ahead..and he knows it.

So you lot spend hours on TV bemoaning your perception of the Thai police as absolutely incompetent, then rush to condemn this man because those same police have taken him into custody. The mind boggles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...