Passport expires in 5 months, visa expires in 12 days... what to do?

I am a US citizen who is currently in Chiang Mai. My US passport expires June 30, 2014. My current tourist visa expires Feb 3, 2014 (it has already been extended from the original 60 days, to 90 days).

It is my understanding that I need to get a replacement passport if I want to enter many countries (including returning to Thailand), as there is no longer 6 months remaining on my passport.

Do I need 6 months remaining on my passport to get a 30 day visa upon arrival when entering Thailand?

Does the same rule apply to Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Myanmar or any close Asian nations?

If I apply for a replacement passport now, seems this would create a problem since I only have 12 days remaining on my tourist visa? It On the consulate website it says 14 days processing time for new passports. This would force me to overstay my Thai tourist visa, which I understand is not a good idea!

So... WHAT TO DO??? :-( I would like to continue to travel in SE Asia until April/May timeframe, including return to Thailand.

Please advise the best thing for me to do at this point!

Freaking out a little bit because it seems I might be in a bit of a quandry here!

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

All countries in the region require 6 months for entry.

You should apply for a 7 day extension at immigration.

Then apply for a new passport. The average to get a new passport is about 10 days (mine was 10 days).

You will need to make an appointment at consulate to get the passport. Without an appointment you will not even be able to get through the front doors.

nickoffskiov

• Like 2

Try and get an extension. The worse that can happen is that it is refused then you will be clearer on your situation.

I know the circumstances are not identical but immigration gave me a one-year extension (retirement extension) when I only had four months validity on my passport. I got the extension transfered into my new passport later that year.

• Like 1

Try and get an extension. The worse that can happen is that it is refused then you will be clearer on your situation.

I know the circumstances are not identical but immigration gave me a one-year extension (retirement extension) when I only had four months validity on my passport. I got the extension transfered into my new passport later that year.

He will be able to get the 7 day extension without a problem.

If were to apply now for an extension you would only get an extension of 4 months and the have to apply for a new one when you got your new passport. Rules changed August of last year.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help and the info, guys!! smile.pngclap2.gif

I just talked with the US consulate... luckily they aggreed to squeeze me in for an appt on Thurs... otherwise i was going to have to wait a week to get an appt! blink.pngsad.png

So looks like I can apply for the replacement passport then, and get it in time assuming I can get the 7 day extension at immigration.

There wont be any issues getting a 7 day extension, even though I've already stayed 90 days? I see all this stuff online about what to do when you stay over 90 days, like that's when it becomes a problem!

And I am assuming I should go apply for the extension at immigration tomorrow, BEFORE applying for the replacement passport? Because I'm pretty sure you have to mail your existing passport with the applicaiton, to get the replacement...

Edited by Jason Green

You will not have a problem for going over 90 days.

Tell them you need the extra time to get a new passport and in put it in space provided on form for the reason.

They will give your passport back to you when you apply. The applications go in via their network. The issue date of your new passport will be the same as the date that you apply for it.

You will not have a problem for going over 90 days.

Tell them you need the extra time to get a new passport and in put it in space provided on form for the reason.

They will give your passport back to you when you apply. The applications go in via their network. The issue date of your new passport will be the same as the date that you apply for it.

THANKS SO MUCH, UBONJOE! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Your help and knowledge is very much appreciated! smile.png

Sounds like I might be good then... just under the wire! Rock the extension at immigration tomorrow, then appt for passport replacement on Thurs... might even get the replacement passport before the original visa expires! But better to have the exension to be sure...

Thanks again! smile.png