Thai language learning resources online

wym

Necessary but not sufficient.

Actually best way is full-time degreed native-central-speaker tutor scheduled at your convenience at least 15 hours a week, probably available for 10-12K B/mo.

But create your own curriculum and learning materials, just use them for pron practice and having a schedule to keep on track.

In the meantime, thought these online resources might be helpful to some.

Necessary but not sufficient.

Actually best way is full-time degreed native-central-speaker tutor scheduled at your convenience at least 15 hours a week, probably available for 10-12K B/mo.

But create your own curriculum and learning materials, just use them for pron practice and having a schedule to keep on track.

In the meantime, thought these online resources might be helpful to some.

I've never used these resources.

Why should the tutor have a degree? This is a common misconception that a goof Thai tutor should have a degree in English. It is best if the tutor speak Thai always. Immersion, IME is the best way to learn. In my case, having Thai friends that couldn't speak English and living in a place(Nontaburi) where most locals didn't speak English.

For me, same way I (mostly) learned Chinese -- get a good dictionary or 2 and start writing words in Thai script over and over filling up multiple notebooks. When in Thailand, it's easy to practice as most Thai people speak Thai. Note: started learning Thai when internet in its infancy. (Roberson's Practical English/Thai 1969 edition purchased 1988)

Edited by JLCrab

I've never used these resources.

Why should the tutor have a degree? This is a common misconception that a goof Thai tutor should have a degree in English. It is best if the tutor speak Thai always. Immersion, IME is the best way to learn. In my case, having Thai friends that couldn't speak English and living in a place(Nontaburi) where most locals didn't speak English.

Never said anything about English.

Just meant an educated Thai, degree in anything. Since it won't add much to the cost anyway, and you're more likely to get someone with a reasonable accent/pronunciation - starting with a native central dialect speaker - from a classist point of view, as opposed to a country bumpkin's.

Personally I would prefer someone who didn't have any English, and certainly shouldn't be used in the teaching process, except in the very early stages to make things easier for straightforward vocabulary explanations.

Someone who spoke English properly enough to be able to use it in teaching would be very very hard to find, and of course much more expensive, probably by a factor of 3 or 4

Marry a beautiful young Thai that speaks not a word of English and is not interested in learning it.

Move to an area with no English speakers and do your best to make friends and get to know your neighbors.

Get so broke you need to live on under 20K per month and decide you want to actually live well on that.

• Like 1

Marry a beautiful young Thai that speaks not a word of English and is not interested in learning it.

Move to an area with no English speakers and do your best to make friends and get to know your neighbors.

Get so broke you need to live on under 20K per month and decide you want to actually live well on that.

20K! why so much?