Thai Bashing..sort of

drx13

I have been trying to register my will at the provincial amphur. My will effectively is a trust fund to take care of all future need, (including my condo),of a largely unwanted 4 yo Thai boy, I have devoted most of the last 4 years to his health, welfare and education at some considerable emotional and financial cost,and feel privileged to see his development.

The above information is not relevant to my "complaint", and neither are the staff at the Amphur knowledgeable of this or the trust. but is revealed to

indicate my exasperation at "attitudes".

However, here is my beef, I am asked to take two Thai witnesses to the Amphur to witness the deposit of the will, NOT as signatories on the will as this has been done.

I do not know any Thais who are free to go with me, it is some distance.

A Thai translator called the supervisor and asked him if any of the staff might be witnesses (for a good "consideration",). The answer was NO.

I and many I know would risk their lives to save others but......

Could be that you have approached the Amphur representative in the wrong manner. Asking over the phone if a bribe is required may easily have caused offence. Amphur staff will act as a witness and will let you know if a witness 'fee' is necessary or not as a part of the process to register a Will.

Edited by simple1

Could be that you have approached the Amphur representative in the wrong manner. Asking over the phone if a bribe is required may easily have caused offence. Amphur staff will act as a witness and will let you know if a witness 'fee' is necessary or not as a part of the process to register a Will.

I did not speak to anyone.a Thai lady who does translations did all the talking.

Money is not a problem in obtaining witnesses, I have approached some motosai guys even with a written request (from the translator),

asking them to just say their price, I would not argue, have never ever "bargained' for anything here as the sums are so trivial.

Their responses engender such protracted debates among themselves, they seem like the current situation in trying to get a Peace Conference on Syria.

I believe the requirement is so far outside their normal millieu, that I may have well been asking them to fly to the moon with me.

Edited by drx13

Once again WHERE ?

Had no problem in having the ladies at the Amphur in Bamlamung witness my signature for my will, no price was mentioned and after they had witnessed it I gave the each 100THB before I left the office. Therefore it was seen as a gratuity and not a bribe

Nakorn Si Thammarat

And the "trust fund" aspect raises a flag for me as far as I know such legal mechanisms aren't recognized here.

Assume you'd have lawyers involved, can't they provide witnesses for you?

My trust fund means leaving all my assets to someone I trust to carry out my wishes.

I can't see the perception of lawyers fitting my criteria

And the "trust fund" aspect raises a flag for me as far as I know such legal mechanisms aren't recognized here.

My trust fund means leaving all my assets to someone I trust to carry out my wishes.

I believe the correct term would be 'executor of an estate'.

• Like 1

How could it be considered a bribe, (persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.)

It is the usual "nuthin' for nuthin" mindset the guy appreciates.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

I believe the correct term would be 'executor of an estate'.

Tywais is correct and and the executor does not have to be a Thai, can be a farang. Also any lawyer can be an executor, although most Thais don't trust lawyers to follow your wishes when you are no longer in a position to make your wishes known

I think you will find the word used in the English language version of the Thai Civil Code is 'Administrator' as in --

Section 1711. The administrators of an estate shall included the persons appointed by will or by order of the Court.

Section 1712. An administrator of the estate by will may be appointed:

etc.

How could it be considered a bribe, (persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.)

It is the usual "nuthin' for nuthin" mindset the guy appreciates.

Proactively offering a "consideration" can very easily be interpreted as bribe for assistance/shortcut for usual bureaucratic process.

OP: OK sounds like your translator has gone about the process the wrong way. The Amphur where you reside may be 'different', but it's standard practice for Amphur staff to act as witnesses for registering a Will. If I were in your shoes, just go to the Amphur, if translator is unable to attend, just make sure she/he is available by phone should you run into any communication barriers

EDIT: Unless you have already done so, get the Thai language version of your Will independently verified to ensure compliance to your wishes and no untoward Clauses have been inserted.

Edited by simple1

I think you will find the word used in the English language version of the Thai Civil Code is 'Administrator' as in --

Section 1711. The administrators of an estate shall included the persons appointed by will or by order of the Court.

etc.

No-one is administering any estate/s..It is pure and simple, the guy gets my assets, whether they are 50 baht 0r 50 million baht

and does as he sees fit. Like I give you 5000 baht to spend, it's up to you, spend it, save it, set fire to it..NO lawyers involved.

I took advice from a partner in Freeman, Hardy and Willis.He said difficulties can be created, to elicit fees by the unscrupulous.

I can even arrange it so he gets them before I die, quite simple.

Actually what I expected along with the helpful advice I have thankfully received, was some input from our experts on Thai culture, how the simple requirement of putting pen to paper, could be an issue.

For Mr.Simple...quote "EDIT: Unless you have already done so, get the Thai language version of your Will independently verified to ensure compliance to your wishes and no untoward Clauses have been inserted."

1. My will makes no mention of my wishes and my "beneficiary" does not read Thai and to me it was a given to check the translation, since the substance is about a dozen words, it was not difficult.

Interestingly the Amphur staff scrutinised it endlessly, and it really has nothing to do with them, not that I minded, but curious why.

Edited by drx13

No-one is administering any estate/s..It is pure and simple, the guy gets my assets, whether they are 50 baht 0r 50 million baht

and does as he sees fit. Like I give you 5000 baht to spend, it's up to you, spend it, save it, set fire to it..NO lawyers involved.

I took advice from a partner in Freeman, Hardy and Willis.He said difficulties can be created, to elicit fees by the unscrupulous.

Not that simple in actuality. you need to be careful here as the Thai laws follow the below or else the state may get it all. In other words, if it doesn't fall into the below list the person, regardless of your verbal intention, may not see it. Seems the term executor and administrator are synonymous based on several Thai law firms using them interchangeably.

Thailand inheritance law

When a foreign with assets in Thailand dies and there is no last will the execution of his Thailand estate is governed by the law of the state of which he was a national at the time of his death, unless at that time of his death he was more closely connected to (another state) Thailand, in which case Thai law could apply. Say the foreigner is married to a Thai and resident in Thailand the situation is different from a foreigner who is only periodically (on holidays) in Thailand. When there is no last will or testament and Thai law applies the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code specifies that the assets will be distributed amongst the statutory heirs. There are 6 classes of statutory heirs (section 1629 Civil and Commercial Code) and they are entitled to inherit in the following order:

1. descendants
  2. parents
  3. brothers and sisters of full blood
  4. brothers and sisters of half blood
  5. grandparents
  6. uncles and aunts

So long as there is an heir surviving in one of the classes, the heir of the lower class has no entitlement to share in the assets. The one exception is where there is a descendant and a parent in which case they take an equal share (section 1630). If there is more than one heir in any one class, they take an equal share of the entitlement available to that class. The surviving spouse is a statutory heir but their entitlement depends on what other class of statutory heir exists. If there are surviving children of the deceased, the spouse and children take the estate between them. Therefore, if there are three children, then the estate is divided in to four equal shares. If you are married, in Thailand your spouse may not be entitled to your entire estate when you die, or if you are unmarried but living with a Thai partner, your partner may not be entitled to anything at all.

bangkoklawonline

Another site - Chaninat & Leeds

The dysfunctional relatives of the child know nothing of my will/intentions and will have no idea of who is paying the bills. How can the bills be verified ? you will ask. The main billpayer has watchdogs,known to him but again anonymous to others..

How can I trust these people ?

"We wuz in Joliet togedder"

I think the OP should well be receive advice under Thai law as to what may entail if the beneficiary is not persona juris at the time of his possible demise.

The more probable but not all possible what-ifs? are covered. Possible demise. ??

Edited by drx13

I think the OP should well be receive advice under Thai law as to what may entail if the beneficiary is not persona juris at the time of his possible demise.

The more probable but not all possible what-ifs? are covered. Possible demise. ??

Yes -- so what if you drop dead before the kid turns 18.

etc.

Actually what I expected along with the helpful advice I have thankfully received, was some input from our experts on Thai culture, how the simple requirement of putting pen to paper, could be an issue.

For Mr.Simple...quote "EDIT: Unless you have already done so, get the Thai language version of your Will independently verified to ensure compliance to your wishes and no untoward Clauses have been inserted."

1. My will makes no mention of my wishes and my "beneficiary" does not read Thai and to me it was a given to check the translation, since the substance is about a dozen words, it was not difficult.

Interestingly the Amphur staff scrutinised it endlessly, and it really has nothing to do with them, not that I minded, but curious why.

Since your Will didn't will anything, it is understandable why the Amphur staff scrutinized it endlessly. They were probably trying to understand exactly what you were doing there. I don't understand what you were trying to accomplish and I speak English

When my will was submitted to my Amphur it was both in English and Thai so there was no question in my mind what it said. The Thai language version does have precedence when it is submitted to the court when I die, not surprising since this is Thailand after all

Also don't really understand how a partner in Freeman, Hardy and Willis got into the act ? Are they a Thai law firm located in Nakorn Si Thammarat ?

Once again WHERE ?

Had no problem in having the ladies at the Amphur in Bamlamung witness my signature for my will, no price was mentioned and after they had witnessed it I gave the each 100THB before I left the office. Therefore it was seen as a gratuity and not a bribe

Nakorn Si Thammarat

no trusts in thailand

amphur will is for division of assets only, no conditions, simple wording

The dysfunctional relatives of the child know nothing of my will/intentions and will have no idea of who is paying the bills. How can the bills be verified ? you will ask. The main billpayer has watchdogs,known to him but again anonymous to others..

How can I trust these people ?

"We wuz in Joliet togedder"

you cant, there is a company in chiang mai doing wills.

administering trusts, investing money.

essentially they try to steal the lot.

thailand is full of foreign crooks posing as businessmen, financial advisors and managers.

as long as they pay off the police and judges, you have no protection at all.

your money will just disappear, sorry bad investment, gone.