PCAD protests threaten rare fish breeds

webfact

PCAD Protests Threaten Rare Fish Breeds
By Khaosod English

fish.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of rare fish are at risk of oxygen starvation after anti-government protests cut the electric supply to the headquarters of the Fishery Department.

Supporters of People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) marched to the Department and severed both water and electric supply to the buildings, in order to force the officials there to abandon their works.

PCAD has vowed a disruptive campaign against state agencies until Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra resigns.

But Mr. Niwat Sutheemeechaikul, Director of the Fishery Department, complained that more than 100 species of rare fish stored in the Department′s museum and research facilities are already suffering from the power cut imposed by PCAD.

The fish - both Thai and foreign - started to display signs of oxygen deprivation, such as swimming into the glass wall and moving slowly, according to Mr. Niwat.

The laboratory is also left with skeleton staff, as many officials have been forced to leave the facilities and work elsewhere by the protesters who showed up at the Department almost everyday, Mr. Niwat said.

Only a few security guards are currently stationed at the facilities to refuel the backup oxygen generator attached to fish storage, according to Mr. Niwat. He said the guards are forced to work in darkness as there is not enough fuel in the emergency generator to power the lights.

If the situation continues, Mr. Nitwat warned, all the fish would eventually die, which would be a great loss for the nation′s scientific pursuit.

He said his staff have tried negotiating with the protesters, but they have steadfastly refused to restore the power to the Department.

"We have to let it be," Mr. Niwat told our correspondent, "Since we can′t negotiate with the protesters, I don′t know what else we can do".

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1ETXdPVEl3T0E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-22

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where are the police, what the hell are they doing. Once again some want to call this a peaceful protest. They should be a shame of themselves.

"Where are the police, what the hell are they doing."

You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.rolleyes.gif

(F.Urquart)

<deleted>! Can't they think of anything more substantial to blame on the protesters? It took exactly 6 posts for somebody with a modicum of intelligence to suggest a workable solution to this monumental problem. If that's too difficult, how about a tank of compressed air, or even a bloody push-bike pump.

• Like 1

I sympathize with the fish and I think the electricity should be turned on. But I am also aware of the kinds of stories that Khaosod is covering. When Cambodian mercenaries are being smuggled in to deal with the protests - a revelation confirmed by a senior official in the Thai Navy, and when grenades are being launched at protesters, Khaosod is in the South covering a story about a man who was " chastised " by protesters, and now about fish. Yes, please turn on the power. But Khaosod - please show some balance in your stories.

post didnt go through, when you do a tank for rare breeds of fish you calculate the surface area to the total volume of water and work out exactly how many fish can survive in the tank without power, at least this is what someone with the necessary knowledge on the subject would do. All this does is shows the lack of thought processes in the heads of the fisheries department, the fault rests squarely with them and has nothing to do with anyone else, if the power had gone off due to another reason who in the hell would they blame, morons.

• Like 2

I sympathize with the fish and I think the electricity should be turned on. But I am also aware of the kinds of stories that Khaosod is covering. When Cambodian mercenaries are being smuggled in to deal with the protests - a revelation confirmed by a senior official in the Thai Navy, and when grenades are being launched at protesters, Khaosod is in the South covering a story about a man who was " chastised " by protesters, and now about fish. Yes, please turn on the power. But Khaosod - please show some balance in your stories.

No it is anyway fake.....they have emergency generator for a few thousand Baht or the fishes die at every electric problem.

• Like 2

"If the situation continues, Mr. Nitwat warned, all the fish would eventually die, which would be a great loss for the nation′s scientific pursuit......." Do they have much of a scientific community here?

They do a lot of good research on farming of fish and many other types of aquatic animals, but unfortunately not a lot of it gets published in English language journals.

• Like 1

post didnt go through, when you do a tank for rare breeds of fish you calculate the surface area to the total volume of water and work out exactly how many fish can survive in the tank without power, at least this is what someone with the necessary knowledge on the subject would do. All this does is shows the lack of thought processes in the heads of the fisheries department, the fault rests squarely with them and has nothing to do with anyone else, if the power had gone off due to another reason who in the hell would they blame, morons.

"If the power had gone off due to another reason" But it didn't did it,

and the law breaking thugs will not let the power and water to be restored, ie the OP says the protestors will not negotiate...

I would wager that if some mob cut your power and water to your home and or business and prevented it from being restored you would be more than a little pissed off,

or dose the fault lay squarely with you??? Once again your last comment at who it fits much more...w00t.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

The fault is with the protestors that cut the power and water, FACT...

Have you ever heard of a storm in a teacup?

I would have thought that if the fish are so important that they would have back up power for the tanks.

They do have a fairly large diesel generator there, but it's a large system to run (there's a two storey public aquarium amongst other things). I don't know how long it can run without maintenance or whatever.

Apparently they were planning to restore power out of consideration for the animals, but I don't know if they have or not.

Where are the police, what the hell are they doing. Once again some want to call this a peaceful protest. They should be a shame of themselves.

Well, if the man has any brains he should invest in a small generator, dont u think? u can get one for about 20,000 or a good second hand one for about 12,000. if his fish are that important to the future of Science. As for the police, they are in a hell of a lot of trouble at the moment.

Revolution summary Wednesday:

Killed a few hundred innocent fish! Check

Vandalised police-sign! Check

Closed provincial offices of own voters! Check

Threatened to kidnap chief of police and politicians! Check

• Like 2

<deleted>! Can't they think of anything more substantial to blame on the protesters? It took exactly 6 posts for somebody with a modicum of intelligence to suggest a workable solution to this monumental problem. If that's too difficult, how about a tank of compressed air, or even a bloody push-bike pump.

Or just move the fish off-site to another facility where there is electricity and compressors. Having worked in aquaculture in Thailand and knowing the workings of the Fishery Dept relatively well, they have heaps of funds, equipment and resources, and it would not be hard to save the fish, if they wanted to. This is just propaganda, pure and simple, and the "rare fish" will be made collateral damage in this increasingly bizarre, complex and hostile conflict. wink.png

• Like 1

Well, if the man has any brains he should invest in a small generator, dont u think? u can get one for about 20,000 or a good second hand one for about 12,000. if his fish are that important to the future of Science. As for the police, they are in a hell of a lot of trouble at the moment.

Your talking about the entire thai fisheries dept stocks.. Not some little tank needing a few amps..

They have a generator.. Its currently running flat out doing its job as a backup system.. The overall design is for emergency short term outages, not days becoming weeks without power.

Get the police in there.. Clear the law breakers.. Restore power if only to the essential systems. Stop letting a few 1000 people cause such damage and destruction.

• Like 2

Although I agree that the power should be restored to the facility so that the fish are not allowed to die, I also see the other side of this. Any proper engineer would look at the electrical loads of the necessary equipment and design in some fail-over systems and emergency generator systems of sufficient capacity to power the life support for the aquatic life that is critical to the scientific community. When things of such a critical nature are not considered, it makes it obvious that the responsible persons are not in the least bit "responsible" in their attitude, nor do they employ "joined up thinking"...

• Like 1