Thai protesters fight on despite state of emergency

webfact

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they had accepted talks with Yingluck, or gone home a month ago, what would have changed?

As oppossed to now? Apart from traffic disruption and the amount of homeless around asoke multiplying to about 100 what has changed?

They could have got her to resign and an election wad called. They`ve already had their victory, now piss off home.

If they had accepted talks with Yingluck, or gone home a month ago, what would have changed?

My own feelings on this is that Yingluck felt invincible and able to steamroller her very corrupt schemes into effect, but that seeing 300k people on the streets on the capital in Nov/Dec she no longer felt that way. But my point is more from a democratic perspective ; you massprotest to make the errant leader listen and engage in talks and to rectify what was causing the problem. She did offer talks and early elections, and to discuss a reform of the system, all as a result of the 300k massprotest, and this was before the majority of deaths and injuries occured. Massprotest is different to overthrow movements, you massprotest to make a statement for the whole nation (and the world) to see, and to make the leader listen. I think this peaceful massprotest occured over a month ago, and since then we have gone into overthrow movement which is by its very nature confrontational and can lead to massive loss of life, or even a lockdown security-state in response. But I've said what I think before, which is that Abhisit should have seized the moment and taken the battle back into Parliament, not left the political sphere and gone onto the streets. The point is that if Yingluck has learned from all this, we should leave the parties to debate it, and if she hasn't then it is time to do more massprotest at a later date. But now the situation is critical and it is a good time to pack up and go home before more innocent people are maimed or killed. It is just my opinion, and of course it is also what democracy actually involves.

• Like 2

crazykopite, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:50, said:
Costas2008, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:02, said:

"Thai protesters fight on despite state of emergency"

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

The protests will carry on till Yingluck her relatives and her puppet government are out.

I don't want to see more blood but as they say......No pain, no gain.

I guess you do not like the idea of democracy the shin family gave all people the right to vote rich or poor are you so blinkered that you think that Suthep and his elitist are any better maybe you should look into the Suthep family and see how corrupt they are indeed one son is in court this week for dodgy land deals on koh samui . Thailand is as corrupt as hell from the small business that will only take cash because they do not want to pay taxes to the very richest who pay off judges for crimes they have committed in order that they can avoid jail. there are places in the world who have self elected councils North Korea comes to mind maybe you should go and live there because if Suthep gets his way that is what Thailand will end up as , people with no rights except for with wealth.

First of all, I must Thank you for not suggesting I should go back to my own country, as many posters do.

Second, I don't think you understand or you know anything about Democracy.

For your enlightenment:

Democracy doesn't mean you can be elected by buying votes.

Democracy doesn't mean that you can give your people corrupt and dubious offers as the rice scheme that hurt your country, for the sake of getting their vote.

Democracy doesn't mean that because you have the majority you can pass an amnesty bill, that will release 20,000 criminals just for the sake of your criminal brother.

Democracy doesn't mean that you can offer your relatives important positions in the government. That's called nepotism.

I can give you many more examples of what the Shin family has used to abuse the idea and practice of democracy.

But I believe you heard all these before so you should be able to do the right judgment.

Similar acts called democracy in most other Democracies around the world so why not here. For the record both sides pay for votes. Taskin did get voted in many years ago without any of the above and would do so again with out any of the above. Comes down to numbers and theirs more poor folks than rich folks by along way. One hast to only look at the corruption in Greece & Italy for example, then chuck in the UK and USA. Its politics

If there was a Razzie award for such articles this would win hands down. What a myopic rambling and manipulative piece off trash this is.

Why is it that when the refer to Thaksin they always mention that he was ousted in a military coup in 2010 but they fail to mention that he skipped bail and did a runner as his personal freedom was more important than his political convictions.

Furthermore, comparing the introduction of the current ED to that of 2010 is ludicrous and bears no resemblance whatsoever. In 2010 the protesters were extremely violent with rocket grenades,rife and pistol fire,buildings were being torched and absolute anarchy existed in the protest area. A far cry from the past two months but never let the facts get in the way of political positioning.

As to Mr.Antony Davis and his revelation that the current government were not holed up in some bunker but are talking the helm to avoid further confrontations and pave the way for the February elections.

If they were indeed as competent as Mr Davis eludes then why have they come out with a decree which is at this point in time is a toothless tiger and they have just set up a committee to determine what actions and sanctions should be implemented. This surely has been an option for many weeks now and it would only be fair to speculate that they have done bugger all and this is a last ditch panic move.

I truly hope that Mr Davis was not paid for his insight.

• Like 1

The protests will carry on till Yingluck her relatives and her puppet government are out.

Well, I don't agree. The reds made school children march, and some protested. Now, the yellows ousted a school director as reported by the Nation. "The protesters said they were not happy with Mr Khamnai's role because he had never taken part in political activities organised by the PDRC leadership and supporters in Trang who had sought his cooperation. They claimed his behaviour indicated that he is a supporter of the red-shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship."

So, both sides are saying "you must be with us, or you are automatically against us."

You, my Greek friend, whose ancestors gave the world democracy, and whose people also made Greek food a gift I enjoy immensely, are way off the mark.

You can't beat a Capitalist Protestor can you??

"Hello, I give you money and you stay here and blow whistle?? " " ...okay shoooaahh ...Mr Mr ..am I red or yellow this time?? "

yes ,it like that .

The same as voting:"Hello, I give you money and you vote for me ??"

Very democratic !

The other half was telling me that some of the protestors camping out are actually getting paid 500bt a day to be there!

I take it your 'other half is a red shirt supporter?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nope.. Said she saw some interview on television. A woman said she was getting paid 500bt a day and that she also got paid 500bt a day cple years back protesting for the other side, not caring about the 'cause'. I dunno, maybe she was making it up.
What I have seen on TV is that Shutep is collecting money from supporters in bags, and a lot of it.

So it seems the other way around.

• Like 1

Protestors must of been 'fighting on' somewhere else today...Out and about today, on entering Asoke / Sukhumvit area 20 people and a soi dog in front of the stage listening to music (if you can't get a crowd the solutions seems to be to turn up the volume), very few people wearing protest paraphenalia or whistles, overstocked protest vendors must be in a slump now along with the other businesses on Sukhumvit.

But replacing the protesters is a real sense of heightened security with guards around everywhere, the Citibank building on the corner with only one entrance via the flyover, entrance guarded by security, and just like during 2010 SOE the army guys on the flyovers in camouflage or green uniform. Add to that a lot of small groups of men in uniforms heading for the trains or in the BTS. Moving out to new positions I guess. I'll bet if you're looking like a protestor you're getting a lot of eyes on you from the guards, police and army guys. Or well protected, depending your point of view.

• Like 1

Skywalker69, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:29, said:
Richie23, on 22 Jan 2014 - 15:20, said:

The other half was telling me that some of the protestors camping out are actually getting paid 500bt a day to be there!

Sorry but suggest you take your head out of the sand

Nope.. Said she saw some interview on television. A woman said she was getting paid 500bt a day and that she also got paid 500bt a day cple years back protesting for the other side, not caring about the 'cause'. I dunno, maybe she was making it up.
What I have seen on TV is that Shutep is collecting money from supporters in bags, and a lot of it.

So it seems the other way around.

Sorry, forgot the link.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303393804579310222926026720

sick post. Since no pain no gain, go and join the front line ya mounaki!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As oppossed to now? Apart from traffic disruption and the amount of homeless around asoke multiplying to about 100 what has changed?

They could have got her to resign and an election wad called. They`ve already had their victory, now piss off home.

What difference does an election make?

She's still there. That's not a victory.

• Like 1

And the ghost of Pibul Songkram told me you got paid 1000 baht to make up that crap. Show some proof please or stop spreading lies...

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

My own feelings on this is that Yingluck felt invincible and able to steamroller her very corrupt schemes into effect, but that seeing 300k people on the streets on the capital in Nov/Dec she no longer felt that way. But my point is more from a democratic perspective ; you massprotest to make the errant leader listen and engage in talks and to rectify what was causing the problem. She did offer talks and early elections, and to discuss a reform of the system, all as a result of the 300k massprotest, and this was before the majority of deaths and injuries occured. Massprotest is different to overthrow movements, you massprotest to make a statement for the whole nation (and the world) to see, and to make the leader listen. I think this peaceful massprotest occured over a month ago, and since then we have gone into overthrow movement which is by its very nature confrontational and can lead to massive loss of life, or even a lockdown security-state in response. But I've said what I think before, which is that Abhisit should have seized the moment and taken the battle back into Parliament, not left the political sphere and gone onto the streets. The point is that if Yingluck has learned from all this, we should leave the parties to debate it, and if she hasn't then it is time to do more massprotest at a later date. But now the situation is critical and it is a good time to pack up and go home before more innocent people are maimed or killed. It is just my opinion, and of course it is also what democracy actually involves.

I agree that if they had stopped after the amnesty protest, they could have made a statement.

But they decided that that wasn't enough. They decided that Yingluck had to go and that they needed to stop Thaksin's influence. Now they can't stop if that doesn't happen. Going home now will mean that the last 2 months has been pointless to them.

my wives family got 2000 baht in 2010 for attending and one of them an organiser got 200,000 baht since they are on commission but next time organiser did a runner and they never got paid but they still love Taksin

They are complaining that yellows are kineo and only offer 300-500 baht

Still they are hoping anti for their vote will go up from 500 to 1000 baht but worried election might not happen. I told them to cheer up since thyme ight get 2 bites at it and since they take from all sides could be nice little earner

Protestors must of been 'fighting on' somewhere else today...Out and about today, on entering Asoke / Sukhumvit area 20 people and a soi dog in front of the stage listening to music (if you can't get a crowd the solutions seems to be to turn up the volume), very few people wearing protest paraphenalia or whistles, overstocked protest vendors must be in a slump now along with the other businesses on Sukhumvit.

But replacing the protesters is a real sense of heightened security with guards around everywhere, the Citibank building on the corner with only one entrance via the flyover, entrance guarded by security, and just like during 2010 SOE the army guys on the flyovers in camouflage or green uniform. Add to that a lot of small groups of men in uniforms heading for the trains or in the BTS. Moving out to new positions I guess. I'll bet if you're looking like a protestor you're getting a lot of eyes on you from the guards, police and army guys. Or well protected, depending your point of view.

There is no one at the stage in the morning. They are still in there tents in various places further from the stage.

There are a few people there by lunch time, but they are generally staying out of the sun.

By evening it ramps up a bit, and there will be a few thousand there during the evening

But, regardless of the numbers at various times during the day, they still have there stages blocking the intersections, which is their aim.

There is no one at the stage in the morning. They are still in there tents in various places further from the stage.

There are a few people there by lunch time, but they are generally staying out of the sun.

By evening it ramps up a bit, and there will be a few thousand there during the evening

But, regardless of the numbers at various times during the day, they still have there stages blocking the intersections, which is their aim.

I have been there in the evening and a several hundred would be kind, in your dreams a few thousand even if you count anyone within a 2 soi radius, but then we know how protest supporters love to lay claim to anything up to six million.

Yes, the police so far have allowed them their fig leaf and how long that will last is TBD. For the empty stages make more of a statement of how shallow and weak their support has become. A pyrrhic victory at best.

I have been there in the evening and a several hundred would be kind, in your dreams a few thousand even if you count anyone within a 2 soi radius, but then we know how protest supporters love to lay claim to anything up to six million.

Yes, the police so far have allowed them their fig leaf and how long that will last is TBD. For the empty stages make more of a statement of how shallow and weak their support has become. A pyrrhic victory at best.

I live next to one of the protest stages. In the evening there are easily more than "several hundred".

• Like 1

The is an old saying in My home land, Mongolia

"He who laughs last, did not understand the joke!"

The damage this Sethup man is a causing to Thailand, get in there and break it up,about 06.00 in the morning should do its

And then watch the anti-government protesters gain momentum (and a Martyr) and things will really hot up...

... and the Government knows this, thats why they are sh*t scared to do anything.

-I really don't see where Yingluck can gain any thing out of this. Just because she breaks up groups of over 5 isd not going to change the publics opinion of her and her government in a favorable way.

If any thing it will influence the ones who haven't made up their mind yet. They will look at it and say the government calls for Democracy but will not let any one protest. On the other hand if she doesn't enforce it the undecided will think she is just all talk.

I think she has made another mistake. Bad as it was for her this will just make it worse. The people who have gone home will still be against her. Seems strange to break up the opposition protests when they are the ones being attacked. I wonder if her brother approved of this.rolleyes.gif

I guess you do not like the idea of democracy the shin family gave all people the right to vote rich or poor are you so blinkered that you think that Suthep and his elitist are any better maybe you should look into the Suthep family and see how corrupt they are indeed one son is in court this week for dodgy land deals on koh samui . Thailand is as corrupt as hell from the small business that will only take cash because they do not want to pay taxes to the very richest who pay off judges for crimes they have committed in order that they can avoid jail. there are places in the world who have self elected councils North Korea comes to mind maybe you should go and live there because if Suthep gets his way that is what Thailand will end up as , people with no rights except for with wealth.

Everyone had the right to vote before Thaksin came along.

I'm sure you know,You can't get the Posters these days!

street trader trying to sell protest guff in banglampu this evening some guys rocked up and started getting agressive and kicking the traders stuff it all over the road claiming it wasnt ok to sell outside protest areas and that they are taking money from the protesters. Clearly these were either protesters or guards... helped the guy pick up his stuff after they had gone and asked him if he was selling good ? he said no one wants to buy now, very bad business customers all gone home or already have everything.

Nearly felt sorry for him, nearly.

Shame how the Bangkok Post contributes to the financial destruction of its own nation. Front-page today for example, indicates Hedge Funds are shorting Thai economy by $4 billion. We recall that Hedge Funds have been credited with the downfall of entire nations in the past? They're now targeting Thailand. What can we expect? Their preferred weapon of mass destruction (to coin a Max Keiser phrase) is called a Credit Default Swap. These are contracts which pay off a boatload of treasure if a credit event occurs such as a bankruptcy or national crisis. Yes, its true, you can bet against the demise of your competitors, and use leveraged play-money provided by the banking system to do so! Such things generate huge profit, but also great anxiety, in this new world of financial dis-order. A world in which hedge- fund managers are more powerful than generals and as pitiless as terrorists. Their assets dwarf 'retail' equity markets, and power is further guaranteed acting in their role as 'security agents' on behalf of governments. They monitor every retail investment, betting against them, precipitating crisis via rumour, innuendo, falsehood, or emphasis on the negative. Retail investors are duped, mocked, and monitored down to every desktop computer. Contracts are systematically taken out in opposition to public sentiment no matter how virtuous, honest or noble the citizens investment. Hedge-funds then, a pseudonym for Heartless Liars. Back to the news today though, whether its true or not, may well result in a more rapid suppression of public dissent tomorrow, perhaps even murder, as authorities respond to appearances. Hedge-fund activity in this instance, and in many other examples, works against the interests of the economy and community as a whole. In short, its evil. Yes, I said it. Meanwhile, Thailand's democracy goes on, active public debate continues, and the community resolves issues in substantive ways, not behind closed and secretive doors of power. This democracy is still a place for people to gather and speak. Words from Hedge Fund sources however, are far more damaging. Today millions lie on the beach, planes fly as usual, buses run, the country functions relatively normally, factory's haven't stopped churning out consumer goods, trade thrives. Hedge Funds on the other hand would have the world believe otherwise, and cover its malefic intent with half-truths, quietly placing foul bets that take advantage of apparently bad-news. They are the original merchants of fear, precipitating violence and disorder in their wake. How easy it must be for example, to assuage an Editor to print bespoke news tailored to a bank's agenda when a journalist's salary is probably less than a traders annual drinks tab. In this era then, it doesn't take much to see the subversive side of Credit Default Swaps. They've been around since US financial re-regulation in 1997 (see link below), and have been steadily destabilising communities, stripping the wealth and savings of millions throughout the world since. Ten years after 1997, the bankers laid down a massive bill for payment (has anyone noticed these crisis keep coming around every ten years or so?) Since then, traders have remained in abeyance, at least in terms of betting against the US and UK economies, while overcoming what some call an image problem. In the ceasefire, US and UK markets reached new highs, while hedge funds have been roaming in less politically sensitive foreign markets, driving values up last year in the Securities Exchange of Thailand (SET) for example, making massive conventional purchases, swelling public confidence, drawing in money, and by the mark, pulling the rug out with colossal, withdrawls leaving a mass of unfortunates holding the bag. I suspect the Government of Thailand used vast cash reserves to buy back shares to stabilise the market during the exodus of hedge-fund money. Though we might never know the truth of it, but given the Thai governments recent talk about borrowing (where for years the Thai Government's cash position was healthy) suggests something major is going on. Risky indeed though to take on the might of an organised banking casino that has more money than anyone else, the power to buy any hand, any game. George Soros for example, who in 1992 brought down the Bank of England by persistently upping the ante until the bank ran out of money. A poor Chancellor of the Exchequer squandering the nation's resources trying to buoy pound sterling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros). Banks on one hand, hold up a nation, but now choose to mutilate and disfigure it too, hiding shamelessly behind a veil of confusion and intimidation. Few understand for example, the workings of the derivatives, options, futures, market. Those who do, often join and don't talk. Inside the casino earnings are massive. Who pays the winners? The system is meant to be self-sustaining as long as enough money exists in the monetary system to pay everyone off. I contest that 2008 saw such a demand, not from the sub-prime housing-loan market, but from Hedge Fund contracts that needed paying off. The sub-prime was part of the problem used to cover and camouflage, so protecting the interests of the bankers and their ghastly casino operation. The overnight money markets dried up, the crisis went worldwide, and governments everywhere printed money. This was given to a small number of winners who ran off into early retirement with obscene amounts of (taxpayer) money. Conditions for a repeat are still in place. Important to note too that bankers profits increase with volatility in our new world disorder. Volatility is crucial. Widen the margin between peaks and troughs, increase incidence and duration, short or long the market, spread propaganda. Sit back and watch the money roll in under this artificial cloud of fear or doom. Rejoice in bonuses while homeless fill the street, ordinary people are fired, businesses are forced into bankruptcy, and the conscience of all people's remain depressed and blighted by the despicabile and insidious nature of the new world disorder. The steady, rational, growth our parents encouraged seems now an anathema to these people. Dramatic, reckless, volatility, the preferred state. Bankers and traders proving to be the most dangerous anarchists of our time.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1877351_1877350_1877322,00.html

Pyrrhic victory? I'm not sure the red handbook approves drawing attention to the number of dead and wounded protesters, or the total 'incompetence" of the BIB in stopping or apprehending Thaksin's little helpers.