Too many dogs on Samui

interesting but unfortunately sad topic.the solution have to be a long term one.

1.as harsh as it sounds- put 'em down.( i see no other solution with the current population)

thereafter

2. if somebody want to have a dog they have to pay taxes

3. laws if your dog harm somebody you are responsible( and enforce the law)

4.collar and leash is a must in public

5.mandatory insurance

yeah sound's like nanny state but some dogs are comperable with weapons and they are also controlled.and pls no reply comparing to trafic laws,this topic is about stray dogs.

I came to Thailand to get a way of the nanny state.

What you propose doesn't sound like a nanny state but is the nanny state. bah.gif

There are way more serious problems in Thailand than the dog "problem"

• Like 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really agree with you. I'm also sick of getting chased, growled and barked at every single day as I try to do my exercise. One of my dog loving friends and long time Samui resident offered to come along one day to show me how to properly behave in dog language (screaming, growling back and acting dominant) to show the dogs my right of being on their street.

It works but I'd much prefer if I didn't have to do that. ;)

What worries me more is the owners complete inability to control their dogs. They often try to help and come out to scream at their dogs or try to put them inside but to absolutely no use. The dogs are masters up here in Phu Chaweng.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Screaming , jumping off bike and aggressing feigning picking up stones works great until you meet a really BAD dog , then you're effed.

interesting but unfortunately sad topic.the solution have to be a long term one.

1.as harsh as it sounds- put 'em down.( i see no other solution with the current population)

thereafter

2. if somebody want to have a dog they have to pay taxes

3. laws if your dog harm somebody you are responsible( and enforce the law)

4.collar and leash is a must in public

5.mandatory insurance

yeah sound's like nanny state but some dogs are comperable with weapons and they are also controlled.and pls no reply comparing to trafic laws,this topic is about stray dogs.

I came to Thailand to get a way of the nanny state.

What you propose doesn't sound like a nanny state but is the nanny state. bah.gif

There are way more serious problems in Thailand than the dog "problem"

So your position is that because there are bigger problems in the world, why bother fixing any of the smaller problems?

Good one.

You'd probably think it a more serious problem if it was your friend/wife who was killed due to accidents caused by stray dogs, or it was you who was attacked by a stray dog.

But I agree with you on the nanny state. Don't need all that, just shoot the stray dogs. It's really not that hard, and contrary to popular belief, local Thais do it all the time if the dog problem affects them personally. They just don't care much about it affecting other people.

And the Buddhists objections are bullshit. The first precept of Buddhism only prevents Buddhists from personally taking part in killing. That's why they can happily eat meat (as long as somebody else kills it for them). There is nothing at all preventing a non-buddhist dog catcher from putting dogs down.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

How do you stop dogs from XXXXX mating ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have then neutered or Spayed... Some Thai's and Farangs do get that done, but too many don't unfortunately... sad.png

It's free or cheap here to get it done... thumbsup.gif

Yes even in England if a dogs turn on heir owner they put them down

If a dog turns on a stranger that is walking down the road then this in in executable

I would put them down with a nice injection

As the op is right they do carry rabies and all sorts of other illness

Dog rescue are not a

Government or organisation they do not have the authority to police the animals in the area

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

The biggest problem on the Island are humans not dogs. More and more obnoxious people are trashing the Island!

sorry.gifofftopic.gif

I do not disagree that "More and more obnoxious people are trashing the Island!" but this thread is about the large volume of stray dogs and the problems that they cause.

There is a very long list of things that could be written on a thread about 'Problems on Samui".

Perhaps you would like to start a thread on that one? Mind you - there is probably one already around somewhere.

• Like 2

<deleted>! It sounds like most of the people on this forum should be put down! Now that would make the Island a better place!

Yes cause humans go around chasing bikes and biting people I agree the last human I encounted chased me for a km cause sore be with another bitch

<deleted>! It sounds like most of the people on this forum should be put down! Now that would make the Island a better place!

Yes cause humans go around chasing bikes and biting people I agree the last human I encounted chased me for a km cause sore be with another bitch

I laughed more than I should.. :D

• Like 1

there were to many dogs when i first came here 19 years ago but i still came here to live. To many dogs in Phuket and Pattaya. Udon no stray dogs, must be government policy or some thing. Just part of life we have to live with in LOS. i have had hundreds of dogs neutered at my own expense, nobody ever wants to give a baht towards costs. Thais dont see it as a problem. So reap what we sow and wake up warm and happy every day as farangs in doggy world.

• Like 2

there were to many dogs when i first came here 19 years ago but i still came here to live. To many dogs in Phuket and Pattaya. Udon no stray dogs, must be government policy or some thing. Just part of life we have to live with in LOS. i have had hundreds of dogs neutered at my own expense, nobody ever wants to give a baht towards costs. Thais dont see it as a problem. So reap what we sow and wake up warm and happy every day as farangs in doggy world.

Yes but in thailand it is not a problem until it becomes a problem

All strayed should be neutered problem is that it has been left to charities to do it which is not far to blame dog rescue as they can only do so much

Then I suppose the dogs would have to be tagged somehow so one know which ones have been neutered

Plus rabies jabs

Or just kill them

Maybe a face book site where people can put photos of strays and locations so people know where to go and which dogs to aim for if they decide to do Anyhting

I don't know how to tag then to show what jabs they have had already

Yes but in thailand it is not a problem until it becomes a problem

All strayed should be neutered problem is that it has been left to charities to do it which is not far to blame dog rescue as they can only do so much

Then I suppose the dogs would have to be tagged somehow so one know which ones have been neutered

Plus rabies jabs

Or just kill them

Maybe a face book site where people can put photos of strays and locations so people know where to go and which dogs to aim for if they decide to do Anyhting

I don't know how to tag then to show what jabs they have had already

When Dog Rescue neuter's a dog or cat they tattoo inside the ear flap.

To be honest, i haven't really noticed a big increase in the street dog population. Nothing like the increase in traffic, loud music, garbage, greed and of course....aggressive tourists.

If anyone has a problem with street dogs then call the rescue centre.

• Like 2

To be honest, i haven't really noticed a big increase in the street dog population. Nothing like the increase in traffic, loud music, garbage, greed and of course....aggressive tourists.

As has already been pointed out many times, the rescue centre don't actually do anything.

It's great that you aren't personally affected by the dog problem though. Sweet anecdote.

Do u do allot of walking running cycling or motor bike riding ?

Who has "pointed out many times" that they don't do anything? Incorrect, they do.
It is a a crass uninformed statement....perhaps trolling or just a keyboard critic?
It's such a pity that people like you can only belittle the work (mostly voluntary of others).

They do an excellent job under very trying circumstances.
The lot of the stray dogs has improved immesurably over the last 10 years thanks to a few caring people such as Dog rescue, Elfie and others.
Gator.

I agree, the rescue centre has done a great job over the years. I've taken at least 15 cats and dogs for spaying and neutering since i've been here. Edited by PoorSucker
removed extra quotes

yes

let go from putting animals down peacefully to mass genorside. I like that 1

As has already been pointed out many times, the rescue centre don't actually do anything.

It's great that you aren't personally affected by the dog problem though. Sweet anecdote.

Who has "pointed out many times" that they don't do anything? Incorrect, they do.

It is a a crass uninformed statement....perhaps trolling or just a keyboard critic?

It's such a pity that people like you can only belittle the work (mostly voluntary of others).

They do an excellent job under very trying circumstances.

The lot of the stray dogs has improved immesurably over the last 10 years thanks to a few caring people such as Dog rescue, Elfie and others.

Gator.

yes there are allot of people who live criticing volentry services. Al; i can say if they reckon they can do a better job then why don't they

Dog rescue to a grate job but the truth is they don't have to and they are not responsable for every dog on the island. So if it is 0300 am in the morning an people are angry because they don't answer the phone or something then start your own bloody charity.

They are not getting paid and they are not responsable for all dogs. they do for love of the animals and they help when they can not when the cannot

• Like 1

They don't do anything to actually get the dogs off the street. Spaying/Neutering and nursing them back to health just so they can be released back onto the street doesn't help the problem at all. The dogs are dangerous, and should be euthanised.

Edited by pokerspiv

They don't do anything to actually get the dogs off the street. Spaying/Neutering and nursing them back to health just so they can be released back onto the street doesn't help the problem at all. The dogs are dangerous, and should be euthanised.

Don't feed the troll!!

• Like 1

I think before any more comments regarding the Dog and Cat Rescue Centre are made, perhaps head to Thaling Ngam or Chawang place, and take a look .... obviously not many people have been out to these places to look and see what is done there, or seen the amount of animals in care with the amount of room they have ... some of the comments are getting a bit silly! .... IMO....coffee1.gif

They are not released in to the streets after being treated...

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

I think before any more comments regarding the Dog and Cat Rescue Centre are made, perhaps head to Thaling Ngam or Chawang place, and take a look .... obviously not many people have been out to these places to look and see what is done there, or seen the amount of animals in care with the amount of room they have ... some of the comments are getting a bit silly! .... IMO....coffee1.gif

They are not released in to the streets after being treated...

Jimmy a picture says a thousand word's.

They're just across the street from my place and yes I've been there several times and I'm speaking from personal experience and what I've observed.

I have not been there in a couple or three years, but think your comment on post # 30 is perhaps right on, Mole ...thumbsup.gif

I used to take photos of the dogs and cats, but the many hours spent were never appreciated and she wanted imagine sizes that were too odd to figure out on a computer ... ... so I gave up.... facepalm.gif This was for exporting the better animals off to Europe etc.

I no longer have any images of either centres,.... and I am not heading out to get more! John1 ....tongue.png

I will say, that the vet and other volunteers, do a good job with what they have.... Management attitude needs to change to get more community help ! rolleyes.gif

I used to make generous donations, but now, would rather use a regular vet, which I do on occasion. ...