Too many dogs on Samui

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a lot to think about and you've obviously thought long and hard about the problem because I agree it is one. I've just seen this so I am going to mull it over and reply tomorrow, but I basically agree that something more constructive needs to be done.

• Like 1

1st question why do you have a dog do you plan on staying for the next 10 years of the dogs life span or turn it loose when you leave?n the

As for disposing of dogs read up on the Buddhist religion or go to the temple and ask them to kill some of the poor dogs they feed every day and wait for a reply just

be ready to get on your bike.

On the question about the Samui dog rescue have you called them and asked why they do what they do if not do so.

Seem's like you just came on here for a bitch.

How do you stop dogs from XXXXX mating ?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have then neutered or Spayed... Some Thai's and Farangs do get that done, but too many don't unfortunately... sad.png

It's free or cheap here to get it done... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I've got a solution.. Move back to England! If not, xxxxx moaning!! Personally I commend these so called do-gooders from these animal charity's that only do it to make themselves feel better! They do what they can do with the resources and funds available. But so long as your ok jack,xxxxxxx everyone else eh!

Edited by Rooo
Swearing removed.

I really agree with you. I'm also sick of getting chased, growled and barked at every single day as I try to do my exercise. One of my dog loving friends and long time Samui resident offered to come along one day to show me how to properly behave in dog language (screaming, growling back and acting dominant) to show the dogs my right of being on their street.

It works but I'd much prefer if I didn't have to do that. ;)

What worries me more is the owners complete inability to control their dogs. They often try to help and come out to scream at their dogs or try to put them inside but to absolutely no use. The dogs are masters up here in Phu Chaweng.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

An efficient and island-wide sterilisation program is the only realistic long-term solution. To be successful, it requires lots of resources - vets to do the sterilisation, shelter where the dogs can recover post-op and, above all, people who bring in the dogs. I don't see it happening unless the local powers that be get seriously involved, and I don't know what it would take for them to do that. Probably a lethal dog-borne virus, in which case they wouldn't sterilise, they would annihilate. Buddhism or no Buddhism.

What we can do is sterilise as many dogs (and cats) as we can. Catching a dog and bringing it to the vet is the easy part, taking care of the dog post-op when it's wearing a collar and needs to take meds is more time-consuming. Even if the entire expat community on Samui gets involved, you'll probably just make a dent in the general dog population. But a dent is better than a bulge...

When someone is sitting on a piece of hot metal that is burning their ass and they refuse to get up to solve the problem, I am not going to pay for painkillers to ease their pain.

An efficient and island-wide sterilisation program is the only realistic long-term solution. To be successful, it requires lots of resources - vets to do the sterilisation, shelter where the dogs can recover post-op and, above all, people who bring in the dogs. I don't see it happening unless the local powers that be get seriously involved, and I don't know what it would take for them to do that. Probably a lethal dog-borne virus, in which case they wouldn't sterilise, they would annihilate. Buddhism or no Buddhism.

What we can do is sterilise as many dogs (and cats) as we can. Catching a dog and bringing it to the vet is the easy part, taking care of the dog post-op when it's wearing a collar and needs to take meds is more time-consuming. Even if the entire expat community on Samui gets involved, you'll probably just make a dent in the general dog population. But a dent is better than a bulge...

When someone is sitting on a piece of hot metal that is burning their ass and they refuse to get up to solve the problem, I am not going to pay for painkillers to ease their pain.

And yet the hot metal is hardly culpable, and the tiniest drop of cool water may make all the difference for an atom or two of said hot iron - though no a***s be saved.

Edited by AngThong

And yet the hot metal is hardly culpable, and the tiniest drop of cool water may make all the difference for an atom or two of said hot iron - though no a***s be saved.

The culpability is in the lap (beneath it actually) of that person who refuses to stand up away from the hot metal.

You are spot on with your rant, some people think animals have the same or more rights than humans, animal control is practiced in all civilised countries for the safety of the the human population.

I have yet to see one male soi dog minus his balls.

from my observations, the Dog Rescue seem to be less proactive nowadays. A restaurant I know has called them a few times about a stray bitch who keeps having litters (has had 3) and still nobody has even attempted to collect her, the same restaurant has no trouble with the Dog Rescue collection box being emptied though. Maybe a harsh observation, perhaps others can shed light, don't want to bad mouth people trying to make a difference.

Perhaps a change in tact, go to these areas with excessive dogs, ask for a small contribution to round these dogs up and neuter from the people within the locality. Am sure most people would gladly give to see an actual round up in their neighbourhood.

We cannot even walk our dogs because of the fights that kick off with wandering dogs.

When out driving with my Thai wife I do not swerve to avoid hitting dogs she says no matter what I must not hit the dog, I will slow down and sound my horn but never swerve so many accidents are caused by idiots swerving to avoid hitting a dog

• Like 2

Bring in a couple of dozen Cajuns. Tell 'em that dogs are: 1) Good in a gumbo and 2) Out of season.

Seriously, though- if anyone comes up with a single (or annual or monthly) dose oral contraceptive for dogs and cats, I envision Thailand's next billionaire.

Barring that, I can't think of a solution that doesn't involve the meat trade. Which wouldn't be so bad if there were controls on which dogs were culled and how they were treated on their way to the table. But the horror stories and photos that pop up in the news just tear at my heart- thinking about my doggies.

Or it's billions of baht that will be siphoned off a surgical sterilization program, with probably no real results.

How many cents in the dollar ( satangs in the Baht ) from collections actually go towards operational costs & how much towards wages?

That would be an interesting read.

I don't often donate cash for that particular reason, not knowing the actual net result.I do not have any qualms donating goods thou.

• Like 2

I've got a solution.. Move back to England! If not, xxxx moaning!! Personally I commend these so called do-gooders from these animal charity's that only do it to make themselves feel better! They do what they can do with the resources and funds available. But so long as your ok jack,xxxxxxx everyone else eh!

I'm guessing that is your solution to everything.

marstons, on 23 Jan 2014 - 13:41, said:
AlfGarnett, on 23 Jan 2014 - 09:08, said:

from my observations, the Dog Rescue seem to be less proactive nowadays. A restaurant I know has called them a few times about a stray bitch who keeps having litters (has had 3) and still nobody has even attempted to collect her, the same restaurant has no trouble with the Dog Rescue collection box being emptied though. Maybe a harsh observation, perhaps others can shed light, don't want to bad mouth people trying to make a difference.

Perhaps a change in tact, go to these areas with excessive dogs, ask for a small contribution to round these dogs up and neuter from the people within the locality. Am sure most people would gladly give to see an actual round up in their neighbourhood.

We cannot even walk our dogs because of the fights that kick off with wandering dogs.

so why don't the restaurant take the dog to the vets them self and have her neutered, easily done. Start by using the donation box for funds

the collection box has a padlock on, they do ask about the dog every time the collection box gets emptied, but to no avail. This is a very timid dog, and runs a mile if anyone tries to get near it, would probably be a case of adding sedative to some food and leaving it out, then finding the dog !!! There are quite a few male dogs around the area that have not been castrated, and these have no owners so they could do with being round up tbh.

1st question why do you have a dog do you plan on staying for the next 10 years of the dogs life span or turn it loose when you leave?n the

As for disposing of dogs read up on the Buddhist religion or go to the temple and ask them to kill some of the poor dogs they feed every day and wait for a reply just

be ready to get on your bike.

On the question about the Samui dog rescue have you called them and asked why they do what they do if not do so.

Seem's like you just came on here for a bitch.

Been here more than 10 years already, and intend to spend the rest of my life here... as for the Buddhist religion, if you read my initial comment you would have seen that I actually mentioned the fact that solutions would be difficult, taking Buddhist principles into account. Re: dog rescue... it's obvious they do what they do because they feel good about rescueing dogs... but what they do actually contributes very little to the solving the dog problem on the island.

Seems to me like you just came on to bitch at someone - without actually adding anything constructive to the comment... ! :)

• Like 2

I've got a solution.. Move back to England! If not, xxxxx moaning!! Personally I commend these so called do-gooders from these animal charity's that only do it to make themselves feel better! They do what they can do with the resources and funds available. But so long as your ok jack,xxxxxxx everyone else eh!

Just the kind of pathetic comment I was expecting... there is always someone with the 'move back to England' response. Wonder if you will feel the same after you hit a dog on your bike and end up in hospital? If you have nothing to constructive or worthwhile to add to the conversation, go back to sitting outside 7/11 with a Chang eh. Jeez... sounds like the moaning is coming from you not me :) Have a lovely day.

From my own first hands experiences with Samui Dog Rescue, I totally agree about OP's statement. I would even use harsher words, but better not to in here...

They seems to always be too busy and overworked.

I was with a friend of mine when he nearly ran over a dog in the road (driving his pickup). The poor thing was obviously lost, and terrified. It had no road sense at all, and so - on the premise that it was only a matter of time before the dog was run over - or was hit by a motorbike (injuring someone), we stopped to try and help it. It took us nearly an hour to get its trust and managed to get it into the back of the truck with me. It was well fed and obviously a loved pet and well looked after (but no collar). We took it to dog rescue and all they said was that - as it was well fed, and not a street dog, that we should just take it back to where we found it and leave it to find its way home! After I pointed out the danger it posed to PEOPLE by wandering on the road, they just shrugged...'better to take it back, because look how many dogs we have here'! My mate just got the dog and tied it to their fence and told them he was not going to be responsible for someone getting killed or injured by this dog, or responsible for the dogs death. If they called themselves 'dog rescue', then here is a dog that needed 'rescue'!... and we left. At first I thought my mate was a bit out of order, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised he was right, and that their response was simply 'not right'. If they took in strays like this, then owners would at least know where to go to reclaim their lost pets... a good service to the community I reckon. Seems they are not interested in that aspect though... Having said that, this was a year or so ago, so they might have changed their attitude?

Edited by justanotheroldhippy

I would actually go as far as to claim everything has turned out to be some kind of "front" for the donations.

There's probably not that much of donations coming in anyway, and one could argue that more donations are always needed.

But it keeps the people going about their "hobby".

But the whole "Dog Rescue" thing is very disorganized and the people behind it seems to have lost the passion in it years ago.

• Like 1