Navy Seals commander insists foreign forces were brought in

Lite Beer

I have a friend in Sattahip who is a Thai navy seal. A more considerate and polite person you couldn't meet. These people train hard, often with U S navy seals and their loyalty to Thailand and the risks they take, even in training, should not be trivialised.

Well, I was in the UK SAS Reserves (23 Regt) for 5 years a very long time ago, and I know what the training is like. However, some years back I was teaching a corporate class near Don Muang for a Government-related body. One of my students was something big in security and an ex-commando with the Thai army.

He told me that quite some years ago 20 Thai commandos were sent to Hereford to train with the regular SAS (22 Regt). They were back in Thailand after a week. It was too cold for them. They were sent to the Brecons in Wales during winter, (standard place for training Brits) where they froze. They were supposed to jump into a lake in November in full kit and bergen (backpack) and stay in the water for 5 minutes. They refused and were RTU'd (Returned to Unit) ie, sent back to Thailand in disgrace.

So I have some scepticism about your claim that they are that good. They may be good in Thai terms, but not THAT good.

I really can't see why a Thai special forces unit needs to be able to endure extreme cold when their only likely area of operations would be in the tropics.

After living in a reasonably cold (in winter) area, I have lived in the tropics for more than 10 years. Now, anything under 20 degrees chills me to the bone, but that might be old age.

it's not about if they need to endure it or not - they "refused" - they just have not got it.

Their leadership is as corrupt as they come only interested playing their power games and making money.

An army without discipline is useless - and discipline is not actually a Thai trait isn't it - but mai pen rai.

• Like 2

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend in Sattahip who is a Thai navy seal. A more considerate and polite person you couldn't meet. These people train hard, often with U S navy seals and their loyalty to Thailand and the risks they take, even in training, should not be trivialised.

Well, I was in the UK SAS Reserves (23 Regt) for 5 years a very long time ago, and I know what the training is like. However, some years back I was teaching a corporate class near Don Muang for a Government-related body. One of my students was something big in security and an ex-commando with the Thai army.

He told me that quite some years ago 20 Thai commandos were sent to Hereford to train with the regular SAS (22 Regt). They were back in Thailand after a week. It was too cold for them. They were sent to the Brecons in Wales during winter, (standard place for training Brits) where they froze. They were supposed to jump into a lake in November in full kit and bergen (backpack) and stay in the water for 5 minutes. They refused and were RTU'd (Returned to Unit) ie, sent back to Thailand in disgrace.

So I have some scepticism about your claim that they are that good. They may be good in Thai terms, but not THAT good.

I really can't see why a Thai special forces unit needs to be able to endure extreme cold when their only likely area of operations would be in the tropics.

After living in a reasonably cold (in winter) area, I have lived in the tropics for more than 10 years. Now, anything under 20 degrees chills me to the bone, but that might be old age.

They were sent to train with the SAS - that's how the SAS train. Perhaps their senior officers thought it would be all som tam breaks and a gentle stroll up a hill now and again. Er, not quite.

And yeah, I feel the cold now as well after the same length of time as you. But not chilled to the bone, more like a nice cool bracing morning. But then again, I am ex-SAS ... whistling.gifwhistling.giftongue.png

• Like 1

it's not about if they need to endure it or not - they "refused" - they just have not got it.

Precisely my point. Whooshed over someone's head though ... whistling.gif

Edited by Mister Fixit

Cambodians brought to Thailand to deal with the red protesters in 2010, and the yellow protesters in 2014...

Well, it makes the things rather confusing laugh.png

Personally I would not attach too much importance to this "secret information" he was supposed to take with him to his grave...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, he's saying Cambodians were brought in to assist the red side in 2010 and now in 2014 . . . get it?

No, he is not. He is just saying they came in, without alluding as to which side brought them in.

Ok ok ... I get it...

Everybody is confused by this confusing piece of information... which made a poster above confusingly assume that the reds were at fault, while the confusing reality could be that the Cambodians work for the yellows...

Clear enough :lol:

Or maybe it is just one more lie (from confused yellows)...

• Like 1

"Rear Admiral Winai admitted that he wouldn’t care less whether he would be demoted, sacked or jailed for the confidential information he exposed about foreign armed elements and for the stance he has taken to side with the people instead of the government."

What chance has democracy got in Thailand while the armed forces are still full of treasonous officers like this idiot?

Cambodians brought to Thailand to deal with the red protesters in 2010, and the yellow protesters in 2014...

Well, it makes the things rather confusing laugh.png

Personally I would not attach too much importance to this "secret information" he was supposed to take with him to his grave...

No, he's saying Cambodians were brought in to assist the red side in 2010 and now in 2014 . . . get it?

No, he is not. He is just saying they came in, without alluding as to which side brought them in.

Ok ok ... I get it...

Everybody is confused by this confusing piece of information... which made a poster above confusingly assume that the reds were at fault, while the confusing reality could be that the Cambodians work for the yellows...

Clear enough :lol:

Or maybe it is just one more lie (from confused yellows)...

No confusion at all. There's only one person involved in all of this who has VERY close ties with Cambodia.

• Like 2

In 2010 "Invisable third hands or MIB" were blamed for attacks on both sides.

Since both sides were attcked in 2010, maybe their were two differnet groups of "Invisable third Hand MIB".

Each with their own sponsors and agenda.

Shootings and attacks of both Police and Protesters alike in December. Then other attacks and bombings against Protesters, and today an attack on a Red Shirt Leader.

Maybe there are two groups of MIB this time as well.

• Like 1

Think about it. Where have we heard these people are from? Who do we know that has a very good relationship with the leader of THAT country? To me, it is perfectly clear who is backing this.

Cambodians --> Hun Sen --> Thaksin. Brilliant deduction.clap2.gif

Guess it never occured to you that cambodian mercenaries could be hired by anybody ? (If they ever mingled in Thai matters at all, seems that this rumour was brought up in every conflict for at least 20+ years.)

By anybody I mean Thaksin, any faction in the military, yellows, any third or fourth hand or maybe nobody.

Edited by longtom

"We, um, use commandos in drug investigations...intelligence operatives just don't work, and we, uh, always issue them silencers because, well, we want to be silent. And, uh, it's a coincidence that General Prayuth and I just coincidentally both said that those responsible should of, well, not been born on Thai soil, just like I said. Really, it's the funniest coincidence. It just proves we are with the people together amen. And, um, we never attacked that police station with thirty officers, to collect a debt no one can account for, and it really never happened. And, um, it's those Cambodians! That's it, those same evil Cambodians that want to steal our Preah Vihear temple (when they are not dodging falling satellites twice in two months, of course). And there is no human trafficking unless it is done by foreigners! There, I said it and that just makes it true.

That's it. It's them dam_n Cambodians. That's it. We have evidence, and as soon as I can get the boys in the lab working overtime we will present it to all of you, sometime around 2027. And that DNA the police got in the hat they found from the grenade attack, well, I demand we get it back so we can disprove these allegations immediately. And if you don't give it back to us,. well, we will just take it back, as soon as we figure out who to pay off, I mean compensate, and do not even ask for a sample to match--that is not Thainess. We might even sue for asking for such an outlandish request. And Suthep, well, we're old friends and he would neither lie for us nor break the rules, it was proven his corruption never happened, and, well, he is just the right person for all of us right now. Don't ask why, that's a bad question. Ask where..and where...is Thailand, and Thainess trumps what you deranged westerners call logic every time. If you're really upset, take some time off in Phuket and rent a jet ski. That, I promise you, will do the trick. There is only one bad man in the entire country, and he does not even live here anymore. We will act for the people, meaning the people we work for. Nobody else ever really counts."

Pretty accurate, do you work for NottheNation ???

Another website alleges that the good Admiral is a nephew of Suthep.

Any body know if that's true ??

Sutheps fiasco is doing a great service in highlighting the right wing royalist extremists to the Reds. Another senior ranking military man showing is true colours and closing ranks. I just prey for their sake that they dont meet the same fate as Caucescu somewhere down the road. Few would complain if they did

I'm not sure what he means. Is he saying that the democrats brought in mercenaries to kill redshirts in 2009/2010 or that the other side is doing it now

both. TS (not to be confused with transexual) and cambodia's Hun Sen are Dictator buddies. THey love nothing more than F'n up their own people and stealing National assets. Im sure the conversation went like this...

TS: Hey buddy, my red shirt army isnt so eager to kill thais anymore, can i borrow a cup of sugar, i mean, ten van load of social deviant we could easily have swim with the fishes see?

HS: hold on a sec, im a bit busy killin some garment workers who want a raise cause i F'd up. can we talk over skype, so the NSA can track it?

TS: wait what? I though the NSA only recorded LINE convos. OOps.

these Special ops guys are not the bad guys, at the same time, i would not want to get caught between them and their target.

• Like 1

geriatrickid, on 22 Jan 2014 - 20:50, said:
chrisinth, on 22 Jan 2014 - 20:05, said:

Perhaps this is the reason he is making statements now. As a serving officer, he also has to take orders from on high. As the commanding officer of a special operations unit, I would speculate that some of these orders come from government.

If he is told to keep his mouth shut, he will do exactly that. Until he has had enough and rebels, as seems to be the case now.......wink.png

Just sayin'. Lets keep options open from both sides.

I could see some validity in your point IF the military actually took its orders from the elected government of Thailand.

In case you forgot, the military has repeatedly stated that it does not answer to the government, whether it is PTP or Democrat.

The old adage of giving someone enough rope until he hangs himself seems to be applicable in this case.

Is the admiral talking about now, or 2010?

Anyway, apart from that we seem to have gone off on a tangent. Perhaps I have read it wrong, but was the admiral not saying that he had information about the government (or somebody) bringing in mercenaries, and not actually admitting that his boys were 'playing'?

As the commanding officer of the special forces/covert ops, it would seem reasonable that if anyone had that sort of information, he would be a very good candidate.

Edited to add.

Edited by chrisinth

This same senior officer had earlier - in a story published by The Nation earlier today - confirmed this with greater details that can be read on thaivisa's news stories page. In that story he revealed that Cambodians were being smuggled across for the purposes of dealing with the protesters. He also claims that this happened in 2009 and 2010, and wondered why the police hadn't done anything about it. As the Yingluck administration has already had conferences with media outlets today, with a warning not to provoke unrest - this kind of news story may very well disappear, as the Yingluck administration now takes aim at the free media in their effort for complete control of the narrative.

Shouldn't this blokes inactivity to prevent this, represent a gross dereliction of duty. Non allied forces operating on thai soil would mean that he would be absolutely obligated to intervene.

By his inactivity he has broken his oath to the country. Shouldn't he be removed from the army for his complicit.activity.

Interesting point. I would think that if foreign troops were entering Thai soil, the group tasked with repelling them would certainly be the Navy Seals, rather than fat police who are normally tasked with

collecting money for no helmet fines.... Guess it comes down as to whether or not his knowledge was before or after the fact.

Isn't that exactly what the armed forces ate meant to do?

Prevent foreign forces from entering the country? Irrespective of what the police or immigration to do, they have every right and are completely obliged to intervene?

• Like 1

He already stated that he saw 10 vans filled with Cambodians crossing the border and he knew that as they were passing in the night that they were Cambodians and not Thais looking like Cambodians. And he knew they were headed for the protesters to commit violence.

Then later the same Thai naval officer claims expertise in examining the photos of the grenade thrower and can even identify the type of throw and where he received his throwing training. My lord, put this Thai naval officer in charge of all investigations at once. He is uncanny from his naval post identifying 10 land vans crossing with Cambodians, not Thais who appear Cambodian. The naval office then examined the photos and was able to pinpoint the throwing technique and where the thrower received his training.

This Thai naval office has uncanny ability to read the stars and foresee the future. How could the supreme commander of Thai military force overlook this naval officer and not put him in charge of all investigations of national security in Thailand? Now he states that he doesn't care if they sacked or jailed him for revealing top secrets. Sounds like he has been smoking some of the confiscated narcotics.

• Like 1

Holy crap, I just got home from a road trip and opened TV.

Now the nationalistic, hegemony of Thailand is being outsourced for internal political violence? Is this Cambodia or Laos again?

This has the hallmarks of a 3rd grader deflecting blame for his lads running amok, off duty, or otherwise, for a few thousand Baht.

Guess we'll see some further evidence and/or information about what this is all about.

My apologies, snap response, didn't read all the pages.

Edited for obvious spelling. There are probably others. Don't bloody well hang me.

Edited by 55Jay

And if they had to do an operation to say free some hostages or part of a peace keeping force in the UN in far flung parts of the world like they have before ?

Come on even you can see the sense in a special forces unit being able to cope with ... well special or extreme conditions and perform, or they arnt special forces.

It dosnt really do to say im not getting in that cold water and i suspect it was a shock to find out what real special forces have to go through. Im sure they are great lads all the same and no doubt tip top in the jungle.

I'm afraid that I'm rapidly losing confidence in these so-called "special forces" with their low temperature intolerance. What if some VIPs had been taken hostage in MBK, and MBK happened to have their air-con turned up too high? (as they sometimes DO, by the way) Are you telling me these guys would refuse the mission, with some excuse like, "I'm sorry, precious, we don't do COLD!"

Edited by tilac2
  • Like 1

And if they had to do an operation to say free some hostages or part of a peace keeping force in the UN in far flung parts of the world like they have before ?

Come on even you can see the sense in a special forces unit being able to cope with ... well special or extreme conditions and perform, or they arnt special forces.

It dosnt really do to say im not getting in that cold water and i suspect it was a shock to find out what real special forces have to go through. Im sure they are great lads all the same and no doubt tip top in the jungle.

I'm afraid that I'm rapidly losing confidence in these so-called "special forces" with their low temperature intolerance. What if some VIPs had been taken hostage in MBK, and MBK happened to have their air-con turned up too high? (as they sometimes DO, by the way) Are you telling me these guys would refuse the mission, with some excuse like, "I'm sorry, precious, we don't do COLD!"

I'm sure the lads will cry themselves to sleep when they find out they are losing the confidence of some farang keyboard warrior.

BTW does she call you "darkling" as well?