Thai Airways...a basket case!

GinBoy2

I needed to fly down to Bangkok from Khon Kaen for the day next week and was looking to book a flight. Checked the schedules and lo and behold I find TG has cancelled the morning flight. I can only assume this is due to the introduction of Air Asia KKC-DMK last Nov, which departs the same time. Rather than compete on price (their fares are 2x the Air Asia price) simpler just to cancel the completing flights in the morning and evening.

You have to wonder what the political flunkies running this fiasco are thinking. Maybe its time to cut the Govt strings, let it actually run as a real business, and get some real airline business types to run it as a business, rather than a hobby

I don't understand your point. Thai Airways hasn't done anything mysterious..

There are 4 flights daily at approx. 4 hour intervals starting at 8:45. Air Asia only offers 2 flights with one at 8:35

It is normal business practice for airlines to adjust their schedules to reflect loads. If a flight was cancelled it was most likely due to there not being enough pax to justify the economic cost of the flight or there may have been a shift in equipment. The flight at 8,45 still is on the TG schedule. This happens every day with airlines, evenwith low cost carriers such as RyanAir. You criticize TG for lacking business sense. I believe it is you without any business sense.

If the airline had to drop a flight, then it makes sense to drop the flight that is the least profitable. The consumer still has an alternative. You want TG to lower its prices to satisfy you. Really? TG's costs are higher because of the interline services it provides and the significantly higher costs of flying into BKK. TG has a more intensive maintenance schedule than some of the regional LCCs. One can easily reduce costs by stretching the maintenance intervals. This issue has been discussed to death. The landing fees are approximately 40% higher at BKK. The delays associated with ground and air traffic at BKK add to fuel costs. And yet here you come to demand that TG subsidize your air travel.

So don't compete...roll over an die instead.

• Like 2

I think the reason is more likely events in BKK at the moment. A lot of the people on the morning flight are government or state workers who do not pay for their own fare. The demand has dropped to the ongoing protests.

The other point worth making is that the re-introduction of Air Asia to Khon Kaen has reigned in Thai's ever increasing fares to BKK.

If they want to save money they could abandon those stupid meal boxes they hand out. Most people walk off the aircraft with them unopened.

The city really needs Air Asia and other carriers to justify the money spent several years ago on the airport.

Edited by Jay Sata

Thai are like a lot of flag carriers such as KLM and Qantas. They lost the plot and regular customer base a long time ago.

Thai are also saddled with all the government freeloaders who use the airline as if they were shareholders.

Their domestic service is fine. Khon Kaen is served by a wide bodied Airbus but they need to cut the frills and drop the prices on domestic routes to compete with Air Asia.

Nothing to do with the original post for which I apologise, but the heading fits perfectly.

Today I looked on Skyscanner fo BKK to London in July. I wanted direct, economy class. The results were:

Eva Air GBP699, BA GBP741, Thai GBP1,970!

I actually booked BA premium economy for under a grand but why is Thai just so far out of line?

I think the explanation is something along the lines that while Thai list their standard recommended retail type fare on the website, they also release tickets to travel agents at much lower prices. Next time you want to fly Thai try taking a look at saveflights.com and see how their prices compare for Thai Airways flights. Should be much cheaper than the Thai Airways site.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with the original post for which I apologise, but the heading fits perfectly.

Today I looked on Skyscanner fo BKK to London in July. I wanted direct, economy class. The results were:

I actually booked BA premium economy for under a grand but why is Thai just so far out of line?

I used Kayak and came up with EVA £1278, Thai £944, BA £732 , SQ £958 KLM £909

The shocker is Etihad at £499

Is TG really that far out of line? Some of the cost differences might be attributable to the departure time, direct vs. connection, home base advantage, Quality of service. (Ok, if you slam me there on questioning quality for TG, but TG does offer more space as it seats usually are have a pitch of 34" while Etihad, KLM and BA squash the cattle class pax into 31" pitch seats. EVA comes in at 31"-32" depending on the equipment. That pitch makes a very big difference on a longhaul. The F&B on TG economy is arguably superior to that of its lower cost rivals above. I have a couple flights in the coming months on TG on the Brussels and Frankfurt routes. While I am not thrilled about the lack of lie flat in business, I am just happy not to be flying Lufthansa with its seats and limited F&B offering.

• Like 1

Is TG really that far out of line? Some of the cost differences might be attributable to the departure time, direct vs. connection, home base advantage, Quality of service. (Ok, if you slam me there on questioning quality for TG, but TG does offer more space as it seats usually are have a pitch of 34" while Etihad, KLM and BA squash the cattle class pax into 31" pitch seats. EVA comes in at 31"-32" depending on the equipment. That pitch makes a very big difference on a longhaul. The F&B on TG economy is arguably superior to that of its lower cost rivals above. I have a couple flights in the coming months on TG on the Brussels and Frankfurt routes. While I am not thrilled about the lack of lie flat in business, I am just happy not to be flying Lufthansa with its seats and limited F&B offering.

No point in trying to use common sense it detracts from the Thai bashers fun.

• Like 1

Not sure what the OP's point is exactly? Very confusing points, berating TG for efficiently managing their fleets/routes at the same time denigrating them for high fares, potentially cancelling one out of four dailies. confusing DMK and BKK, etc. etc. Passive-aggressive much?

Yes, TG is in a challenging position having to be all things to all people, and they face huge hurdles managing all those expectations (long haul, premium cabin, tourist destination, bulk of revenue in foreign currencies, revolving management/board, a board packed with political cronies, et al.).

All that said, I am still seeing four dailies BKK-KKC on TG - on the days I looked at, although the first flights do have unusual numbers, i.e. 2040/2041. And I see a mix of equipment: A320, AB6, 734. Some people might take TG to connect to/from int'l flights at BKK, others may be more interested in price, are terminating at DMK, so FD is an option for them.

• Like 2

Found if your fixed on the day and date there can be a hugh difference on price..

My last overseas flight was to Australia.. no fixed date but all within the same week..

Air Asia 31,600 baht up to 36,xxx baht... this changed if booking another month in advance to 16,xxx baht

Thai Air direct from website 26,xxx baht any day

from Travel agent in Thailand with there 200 baht booking fee 20,196 baht.... and was a very good flight direct and at a good time for me.

Last few years have always found a better price by phone or emal to a Travel Agent

Did you try to book it from the UK? Probably a lot cheaper (I mean flight BKK-London book from UK). Just as flights from Amsterdam to Bangkok are more expensive than buying a ticket Antwerp-Amsterdam-Bangkok, just as booking from Holland Amsterdam-Bangkok is more expensive than booking from Bangkok Amsterdam-Bangkok.

Just airline pricing policy.

Dunno where or how the OP checked Thai Air's KK schedules.

But when I check Thai Air's website today, they still show four daily flights departing KK for BKK, departing at 8:45 am, 12:30 pm, 5 pm and 8:10 pm.

Based on their website, the cheapest fare they offer for the trip is the early morning flight, which comes in at a "steal" for only 4000b RT per person as their "Saver" fare. It's an A320 into Suvarnabhumi with a 20 Kg baggage allotment per passenger.

I don't understand your point. Thai Airways hasn't done anything mysterious..

There are 4 flights daily at approx. 4 hour intervals starting at 8:45. Air Asia only offers 2 flights with one at 8:35

It is normal business practice for airlines to adjust their schedules to reflect loads. If a flight was cancelled it was most likely due to there not being enough pax to justify the economic cost of the flight or there may have been a shift in equipment. The flight at 8,45 still is on the TG schedule. This happens every day with airlines, evenwith low cost carriers such as RyanAir. You criticize TG for lacking business sense. I believe it is you without any business sense.

If the airline had to drop a flight, then it makes sense to drop the flight that is the least profitable. The consumer still has an alternative. You want TG to lower its prices to satisfy you. Really? TG's costs are higher because of the interline services it provides and the significantly higher costs of flying into BKK. TG has a more intensive maintenance schedule than some of the regional LCCs. One can easily reduce costs by stretching the maintenance intervals. This issue has been discussed to death. The landing fees are approximately 40% higher at BKK. The delays associated with ground and air traffic at BKK add to fuel costs. And yet here you come to demand that TG subsidize your air travel.

Are you for real and stating that you believe Thai Airways HAS business sense? As for why TG is high priced you forgot to note the fact that small countries come to Thai Airways to learn about corruption, different engine suppliers on the same model airframes, 3 people for every position, free flights for anyone connected enough etc. How does Scoot offer cheaper fares than Thai Airways? They are a Singapore carrier: are they stretching maintenance intervals? They fly out of Swampy. Mystery: how do they do it cheaper than TG???

Are you also stating that LCC's like Air Asia, Nok Air, Lion Air, Tiger, somehow convince the manufacturer to lengthen their maintenance intervals or are you stating that they just don't do them on time? Which maintenance intervals are you proclaiming to be stretched? 'A' checks, 'C' checks, 15 month checks, life limited component changes, calendar items. Please elaborate on why you know that these LCC's are cutting corners on maintenance. I am sure that the Director of Maintenance at these airlines would love to hear your proof.

Did the OP really DEMAND that TG subsidize his air travel?

whistling.gif I haven't flown Thai International since October 2010 .... when I flew from Boston Mass to Bangkok on my retirement to Thailand flight.

At that time I purchased a one way ticket Boston to Bangkok from an AGENT (not on the internet), in the agent"s office in Mass.

The Agent's price for that Thai flight was about $300 U.S. CHEAPER than any other airline's price online for the same routing that I could find for any airline.

Therefore, I conclude from my own experience, that Thai International DOES at least sometimes sell it's tickets through it's agents at least in the U.S. at prices lower than any online price.

And I paid the agent in cash, with NO credit card fee added in.

And no credit card required.

Now that may NOT be true now, but it was in October 2010 .... because I myself saw it and used it.

Are you for real and stating that you believe Thai Airways HAS business sense? As for why TG is high priced you forgot to note the fact that small countries come to Thai Airways to learn about corruption, different engine suppliers on the same model airframes, 3 people for every position, free flights for anyone connected enough etc. How does Scoot offer cheaper fares than Thai Airways? They are a Singapore carrier: are they stretching maintenance intervals? They fly out of Swampy. Mystery: how do they do it cheaper than TG???

% higher at BKK. The delays associated with ground and air traffic at BKK add to fuel costs. And yet here you come to demand that TG subsidize your air travel.

Are you also stating that LCC's like Air Asia, Nok Air, Lion Air, Tiger, somehow convince the manufacturer to lengthen their maintenance intervals or are you stating that they just don't do them on time? Which maintenance intervals are you proclaiming to be stretched? 'A' checks, 'C' checks, 15 month checks, life limited component changes, calendar items. Please elaborate on why you know that these LCC's are cutting corners on maintenance. I am sure that the Director of Maintenance at these airlines would love to hear your proof.

TG has enough business sense such that it has maintained its long haul profitable routes. It's code sharing routes in asia with *A have historically been profitable when the political climate is calm. Where it has lost money has been on the domestic routes. TG is like every other large carrier in that it can't make money on short routes if it provides the current service levels and operates from the relatively expensive BKK hub. This is why Thai Smile was set up. You assume that all LCCs are the same. Nok is most definitely not the same as Air Asia and its fares reflect that.

You haven't the slightest clue as to what you are saying in regard to Thai Technical Services. If Thai's maintenance quality is so bad, why does it hold the highest certifications possible from the EU regulators? The LCCs you reference don't. Are you even aware that Thai was recently selected to become Airbus' local maintenance training centre in the region? Yes, they are so bad, Airbus selected Thai. Why is Thai the go to maintenance facility for airlines in Thailand. Are you even aware that Nok is serviced by Thai Technical?

It is not unusual to have different configurations on the same type of aircraft. In respect to engines, it depends upon the year the equipment was purchased and from where it was sourced. You do realize that some airlines will have RR engines while others have the PW version even though the airframe is the same. A lot depends upon routes and experience levels with the equipment. In respect to LCCs and their maintenance, go read the investor presentations. It's part of the cost containment strategy to hold off on overhauls and major work as long as possible, i.e. taking it to the maximum period. International airlines that service the USA and EU can't do that because of the cost of IROPS. I'll dumb it down even more: When a TG flight breaks down overseas, TG can get stuck with some heavy expenses such as hotels, food and replacement flight(s). When's the last time a LCC ever put anyone up in a hotel when one of its planes broke down? Are you even aware that many of the LCC airlines operate on a leasing system that sees the equipment returned to the manufacturer right before the maximum heavy maintenance period is reached. Do you know who is the leader is in that? Ryanair. The strategy works well when leasing costs are low, but the day when interest rates increase, the approach goes out of wack.

You bring up Scoot. Your example is rather idiotic. Do you realize that SIA created Scoot? Why don't you ask the same question of SIA as to why its airfares are higher than Scoot, And now back to Air Asia. Does Air Asia offer the same service levels as a mainline carrier? When's the last time FB transferred your bags between flights? Smile will do it. What are FB's policies on IROPs and changes? When an FB ticket with all the options is taken, it prices out as comparable to Smile. Not every passenger wants to get hit with additional charges for baggage, meals, changes etc. The LCC model works for some pax, but not all. It doesn't even work in all markets. Ask FB why it has taken losses in the Phillipines market to the point that it has written off its investment. Look at the FB investors presentation and you will see that all is not wonderful for FB in Thailand, as its costs have increased to the point where it had to increase its baggage surcharges. Are you even aware that FB faces its own problems with the entry of Lion?

The OP complained about the cost of a Thai domestic ticket and wants a lower cost. Why should Thai Smile lower fares if it doesn't have to? Why give up revenue? Do you even know what the load factors are on Thai Smile? They broke 80% before the political troubles. Air Asia has been hovering at 81-83%. So again. it begs the question, if Thai are so incompetent and the fares so high, how is that Thai Smile has managed to increase its load levels while Air Asia has suffered setbacks ? FB works for some people, and that's wonderful. However, not everyone wants to ride a bus.

% higher at BKK. The delays associated with ground and air traffic at BKK add to fuel costs. And yet here you come to demand that TG subsidize your air travel.

TG has enough business sense such that it has maintained its long haul profitable routes. It's code sharing routes in asia with *A have historically been profitable when the political climate is calm. Where it has lost money has been on the domestic routes. TG is like every other large carrier in that it can't make money on short routes if it provides the current service levels and operates from the relatively expensive BKK hub. This is why Thai Smile was set up. You assume that all LCCs are the same. Nok is most definitely not the same as Air Asia and its fares reflect that.

You haven't the slightest clue as to what you are saying in regard to Thai Technical Services. If Thai's maintenance quality is so bad, why does it hold the highest certifications possible from the EU regulators? The LCCs you reference don't. Are you even aware that Thai was recently selected to become Airbus' local maintenance training centre in the region? Yes, they are so bad, Airbus selected Thai. Why is Thai the go to maintenance facility for airlines in Thailand. Are you even aware that Nok is serviced by Thai Technical?

It is not unusual to have different configurations on the same type of aircraft. In respect to engines, it depends upon the year the equipment was purchased and from where it was sourced. You do realize that some airlines will have RR engines while others have the PW version even though the airframe is the same. A lot depends upon routes and experience levels with the equipment. In respect to LCCs and their maintenance, go read the investor presentations. It's part of the cost containment strategy to hold off on overhauls and major work as long as possible, i.e. taking it to the maximum period. International airlines that service the USA and EU can't do that because of the cost of IROPS. I'll dumb it down even more: When a TG flight breaks down overseas, TG can get stuck with some heavy expenses such as hotels, food and replacement flight(s). When's the last time a LCC ever put anyone up in a hotel when one of its planes broke down? Are you even aware that many of the LCC airlines operate on a leasing system that sees the equipment returned to the manufacturer right before the maximum heavy maintenance period is reached. Do you know who is the leader is in that? Ryanair. The strategy works well when leasing costs are low, but the day when interest rates increase, the approach goes out of wack.

You bring up Scoot. Your example is rather idiotic. Do you realize that SIA created Scoot? Why don't you ask the same question of SIA as to why its airfares are higher than Scoot, And now back to Air Asia. Does Air Asia offer the same service levels as a mainline carrier? When's the last time FB transferred your bags between flights? Smile will do it. What are FB's policies on IROPs and changes? When an FB ticket with all the options is taken, it prices out as comparable to Smile. Not every passenger wants to get hit with additional charges for baggage, meals, changes etc. The LCC model works for some pax, but not all. It doesn't even work in all markets. Ask FB why it has taken losses in the Phillipines market to the point that it has written off its investment. Look at the FB investors presentation and you will see that all is not wonderful for FB in Thailand, as its costs have increased to the point where it had to increase its baggage surcharges. Are you even aware that FB faces its own problems with the entry of Lion?

The OP complained about the cost of a Thai domestic ticket and wants a lower cost. Why should Thai Smile lower fares if it doesn't have to? Why give up revenue? Do you even know what the load factors are on Thai Smile? They broke 80% before the political troubles. Air Asia has been hovering at 81-83%. So again. it begs the question, if Thai are so incompetent and the fares so high, how is that Thai Smile has managed to increase its load levels while Air Asia has suffered setbacks ? FB works for some people, and that's wonderful. However, not everyone wants to ride a bus.

Nice response geriatrickid, full of details and facts, however, I gave up on TG years ago even with a high mileage Orchid card. Reasons, old tired aircraft, long haul flights with no individual IFE, seat pitch was tight, price, and believe it do not, I was getting increasingly concerned about the number of drunk, foul mouth passengers being carried.

Just two days ago I flew LHR-SINGAPORE - HK with SQ on a 380, a wonderful experience, the 380 is such a quiet aircraft, the food was fantastic, and there were literally hundreds of IFE. Programmers to select from.

TG appear to be lagging behind big time, or perhaps long past their sell by date.

No point in trying to use common sense it detracts from the Thai bashers fun.

I had no intention of booking with Thai or I would have searched further. And of course price isn't everything, that is why I booked BA Premium.

Incidentally I searched exactly the same dates with Kayak and Thai came up with GBP1965.

Just looked on Thai website, shows 892 pounds return.

Personally I find Thai good service. Just come back from Frankfurt on 380 business class and this is one of the best.

To stay on the point of the OP. Thai Smile has also concelled its early morning flight fron Udon Thani to BKK. The reason given for this was because the aircraft were needed elesewhere. Nothing whatsoever to do with Bangkok Airways operating a competing service to Swampy that departs 30 minutes later. Next month Bangkok Airways will have three services a day from Udon To Swampy. All of them compete directly with Thai Smile's 3 scheduled flights.

Now to stray off topic, but still keeping to some earlier posts. Recently, there was a good chance that I would have to fly to London at short notice. I did a detailed Internet search of available flights and prices. I do not mind an indirect flight if the lay-over is short and the price is right. Qatar Airways was the best and cheapest option for an indirect flight. BA were the best value direct flight. Thai Airways International, however, only have one direct flight to London. They advertise two direct flights a day. However, for the time being at least, the A360 flight is to Frankfurt and route share from there to Heathrow - but they price it as a direct flight to London.

Pulling all this together, I conclude that Thai Airways International and it's sibling, Thai Smile, are simply cutting costs not trying to be competitive.

• Like 1

Thaksin's two daughters took 150k of luggage (eight cases) to the UK recently and of course flew first class.

I'm sure the fact their aunt is the PM and various members of the Shin clan are in high positions helped smooth their path en-route to London.

The Thai Finance Ministry owns 51% so there are plenty of spaces for government officials and their families.

Nice response geriatrickid, full of details and facts, however, I gave up on TG years ago even with a high mileage Orchid card. Reasons, old tired aircraft, long haul flights with no individual IFE, seat pitch was tight, price, and believe it do not, I was getting increasingly concerned about the number of drunk, foul mouth passengers being carried.

Just two days ago I flew LHR-SINGAPORE - HK with SQ on a 380, a wonderful experience, the 380 is such a quiet aircraft, the food was fantastic, and there were literally hundreds of IFE. Programmers to select from.

TG appear to be lagging behind big time, or perhaps long past their sell by date.

All legitimate points. Last year I flew 1st on the Rome- BKK route. The B747 was a disgrace. The equipment on the BKK-HKT routes was embarrassing as was the quality of pax. TG faced/faces the same obstacles as other large *A members. TG has started to respond by refurbishing the interiors of its equipment and improving its F&B service. The decrepit B747 have been dealt with. The long haul equipment on the routes subject to competition have the new seats. The use of the AB380 on some routes has helped TG. The change to Smile on domestic is working. Still lots of ground to make up, but its a step in the right direction. Lout load factors are a problem for any airline. Fortunately, the troublemakers tend to pick the all inclusive Thomas Cook or Jet Star options.

I tried to rebook my ticket BKK to Frankfurt 2 weeks ago on Sunday Jan 12th. Phoned all possible numbers on the website. No reply, No reaction to my emails, nothing. So I ws forced to travel on the 13th.
No response to my subsequent complaints.

I dont accept this level of service so goodbye Thai Airways, welcome Etihad.....(their callcentre is 24h manned and they are always helpful.....)

Any comment, ThaiAirways???????

Edited by MarkGM1957

Thai are also saddled with all the government freeloaders who use the airline as if they were shareholders.

Do shareholders get special treatment on Thai? What perks are there?

I'm still not sure I understand what your post means. You're saying that many government members fly free ("freeloaders") as though they were shareholders. Thai's shareholders certainly don't fly free. Where am I going wrong?