Pattaya to Cambodia via van tour

Fabulousheart

My trip to Cambodia first impressions. Grumpy posters this is to share experience only.

I booked a 3 night 4 day trip to see Angkor Watt through a travel agent in Jomtien that all the agents use kctangkor.

My day started at 7 am waiting at condo for van pick up. The van was not crowded and I was able to sit in the front seat. On The trip to the border we stopped twice for gas and restroom. Other then the driver thought we where in a nascar race it was a pleasant drive. There was several times I swear we where less then an inch from other vehicles. It was then I decided best to read and listen o music.

At the border the van drops us off at a restaurant/visa processing center. We fill out paperwork and give them 1,200b and our passports. Then they drove us to a parking lot near the border. We met a guide in the parking lot then he hands us another form for Cambodia entry. At this point we do not have our passports or our visas. Apx 30 minutes of standing outside in a parking lot and someone shows up with our visa and passports. We all say great then the tour guide says no we have to wait for other van that left pattaya the same time. So an hour and fifteen minutes we all stood in a parking lot near the border waiting.

Well the problem was 3 Aussie guys decided to take a very loud Thai bar girl with them and did not tell the tour so we all waited. Also the other van waited and looked for someone in pattaya for 40 minutes and picked them up and dropped them off not far outside of pattaya. Further unnecessary delays on Thai ride of trip.

Ok so at apx 12:45 we proceed and go through Thai immigration. No problem. Then we walk to go through Cambodia immigration and you can either go in long line which takes apx an hour and they stamp your passport take photo and fingerprints. Or you can pay 200 b and the tour guide gets it stamped and no wait.Well most of us said ok pay 200bt and a few said NO. So we all would have to wait while the cheap Charlie's went through long line. So we all where forced to wait in line as we would not be able to take the free bus until all passports where stamped.

So we get the stamp and now have to wait for a free local bus to drive us 10 km to where the tour bus is.

So in summation we left pattaya and picked up people starting at 7 and made it to the border at 11:30. By taking a group tour it took three and half hours to get to the tour bus to take us to Siem Reap ie tripling plus the amount of time it should have taken. SO at 3 pm we begin now 2 1/2 hour Cambodia side drive BTW this is the VIP tour lol. Also FYI the speed limit on road in Cambodia is. 60 KMH and the bus never went over 80 KMH. And my first impression is the roads and quality of driving are by far superior to thai roads. They have the middle two lanes for cars and trucks and side lanes on both side for motorbikes and bicycles. Also I love seeing the volume of bicycles in Cambodia that use the side break down lanes. Also first impression is Cambodia is a much cleaner country. You do not see all the trash on the landscape as you do in Thailand.

The tour company is 100% at fault for mismanaging the trip. Now I know how to cross the Cambodian border I will do it on my own in future and hire private cars on both sides or fly. Going through the tour company added apx 3 hours plus to the trip that was completely unnecessary.

Another twist so the tour company guide who meets us at Cambodia side for the tour company hands out cards to everyone to use his private car service direct in the future it is better then going through agency that is paying him. you have to love that loyalty!

So we get to Siam Reap and the bus drops us off at one hotel. We are all staying at different hotels. The ones at the premium hotels have to take tut tut back to cheaper hotel for dinners that included in this VIP package I decided to walk the river and go out to dinner at a restaurant friends recommended. Now I check into,lovely hotel and I had booked king bed only and they say two twin. I laugh and just say no look confirmed king. I made the agent put it in writing. I am now in king room. The hotel said Thai agent can only sell to twin but did move me to king as it was not my fault.

The tuk tuks. Are so much nicer here in Cambodia. They are old horse carriages with fantastic soft thick cushions with a motor bike on front.

I went to the old market which is similar to Thepostit, soi bakow, night bazaar etc but much cleaner. Pop street which is similar to walking street has French architecture but clean and modern with the flashy lights and great entertainment and food.

The tour guide also had us change money at where the tour bus was boarding apx 10 km from border. saying we will need. Far from true most places have everything listed in US dollars including the markets. Also they are very picky money is not ripped or torn so be careful getting money back. Not one place has quoted me prices in local currency everything is in US dollars.

Also so far the people seem friendly and helpful. Yes I can see the same scams and games here that Thailand has but not as aggressive. It reminds me of Thailand as I it was when I first started coming. Cambodia has been a breath of fresh air literally!o

post-193109-13904334137312_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

There are so many things wrong with this summary, I don't know where too start!!! Most appear to be through your own lack of experience though, and perhaps some rose coloured glasses.

To summarise, there are plenty of enjoyable ways to visit Cambodia, a place I've enjoyed on numerous occasions, but your trip has been left to others (locals) to organise, and you've ultimately paid in terms of time, comfort, safety, and hard cash. Sorry!

Glad you're enjoying your trip though.

• Like 1

You must be right, how can I possibly put forward any argument versus someone so well travelled, and with that type of, "argument ending" comment???? Glad you enjoyed your first impressions were favourable!!!

Would it offend you if I asked what sort of prices (ripped off) you paid? The fact that you actually exchanged money, without doing your homework beforehand kind of paints a picture worth a thousand words!!! My apologies if I've got it wrong, but somehow I doubt it!!!

You've been had in every possible way mate, ot just a troll, because nobody is this gullible!!!!!

The intent was to show experience using agency to Siemrieb from pattaya and what happened. As I stated it was my first trip across border by land and I wanted to see the countryside. I also learned from it for the future but wanted others to know experience with using Thai agency for booking trips to Angkor watt. The hotel is lovely and perfectly situated near night market an pop street. The tour wad good for first time but would not do again.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

normally it is a gamble with your life to be in one of these mini vansvampire.gif

absolutely correct.

And these crazy, maniacs (minibus driver) were the reason, why I travelled with my own car to the Cambodian border the last few times, until I was 50 years old.

Sure, it was much more expensive.

But hey, you don't live twice (probably)....