How to bring an invention to market?

Hello All, I have always been interested in thinking of new ideas/products before I go to sleep etc.I do write these down in a book I have, I had a book before but a housemate with a chip on his shoulder stole it when he left the house facepalm.gif ,

Anyway does anyone know the steps to bring a new product to market or are there companies in Thailand/China that will take it to market for you? And what would the charge be for a new kitchen tool etc?

Your knowledge or advise will be much appreciated.. thumbsup.gif

Main thing bothers me here is as soon as it's out you'll have Somchai Bloggs et al copying it and selling it for peanuts without repercussion.

That's why you patent the idea first.

Op research how to worldwide patent. It doesn't cost much to do so.

For sure patent early but No. 1 make sure there really is a market and the price is right. Some years ago I invented a portable BBQ. It was all steel, collapsable, simple and shaped like an hour glass. Anyway it looked very good, and worked very well on virtually no fuel. This was in the UK. My engineer partner produced a small first run. But the cost was quite high - about 70 quid. We didn't have enough money to market it properly, BUT at the same time, a Japanese company launched Hibachi BBQs - 15 quid - end of story. So moral, think it all the way through from concept to user. What you may think is a brilliant idea, just may not appeal to everyone. Best ideas are the simplest and cannot be easily copied eg - paperclip, cats eyes, post it notes, etc. Also work out what you are best at doing, ie design, ideas, production. and get others to do the other stuff. Finally, resist the urge to tell even your mates what a clever fella you are. So many good ideas get stolen through casual conversations. But enjoy the challenge - see a website called - ideas generation, an interesting group.

• Like 1

In Britain we invent things then give them to America. we don't bother with patents, that's why we are skint.

but sometimes the Americans reject British inventions like... the tea tax wink.png

you guys must be in HEAVEN knowing the usA president wants the country to be just like you goofballs- no offense!

• Like 1

Depending on the items things like 3d printers and kickstarter.com are revolutionising the invention marketplace.

Build a fully functional prototype cheaply and then get your users to say if the idea has any demand, funding the production run with minimum risk.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Britain we invent things then give them to America. we don't bother with patents, that's why we are skint.

but sometimes the Americans reject British inventions like... the tea tax wink.png

And sometimes we just gave stuff away for free which was worth a fortune

"Although the Tizard mission was hailed as a success, especially in radar, it is possibly significant that on his return to London on the 8 October 1940, Tizard found that his job no longer existed.

Although the German bombing of the UK was largely over by the time that the new radar systems were in production, the technology such as aircraft radar and LORAN navigation greatly helped the Allied war effort in Europe and the Pacific, for example almost eliminating the threat from German submarines.

The main success of the mission had been the transfer of radar technology, but the mission also opened up channels of communication for jet engine and atomic-bomb development and is seen as one of the key events in forging the Anglo-American alliance. However, the UK was in a desperate situation and was compelled to release technology that had immense commercial value after the war."

Main thing bothers me here is as soon as it's out you'll have Somchai Bloggs et al copying it and selling it for peanuts without repercussion.

No such thing as a worldwide patent. Patent protection begins and ends at the border.

You can file for a patent in every country, and there are some groups of countries with patent treaties.

Bring money. Lots of it.

Just a short summary based on a real quick Google search:

http://www.inpex.com/Newsletter/2006-08-01-exhibitor-world-patent.aspx

http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/en/patents_faq.html

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I would just like to add that I have 7 patents to my name and nary a schilling to show for it all. It is extremely rare to have an invention that can be patented and then turned into real money. I continue to innovate and market new products but I rely mostly on my vision to stay ahead of the competition and my ability to market while staying under the radar of the bigger boys and keep my secrets from them. The art of obfuscating (making the "magic" seem like it is something else) is very hard for honest people to do, but must be mastered if you are to ever make any money off an invention.

Unless things have changed in the last 10 years; there is no such thing as a world wide patent.

The other issue with a patent is it is only as good as your ability to afford lawyers to defend it.

• Like 1

Hello imfao,

It is very hard to get an invention to market. I've tried a number of times with little success.

I've learnt the following:

Ideas are cheap: There are many brilliant ideas floating around which no one has developed.

It takes serious money: If you borrow it is very risky, someone else will probably end up owning your invention.

Doing it with small money is possible, but few succeed.

Developing the product is easy: The whole secret is in the marketing and distribution.

You have to give a huge cut the wholesalers and retailers before they will touch it.

I could go on.

But notwithstanding the above: Good luck and best wishes!

• Like 1

First thing is you need to consider "how to" all of the below though not necessarily in the order given!

A. Creating a working prototype. Can you do your own or do you need help?

B. What is your target market? Is this something for local sales, highly specialized etc..?

C. Is it in fact patentable?. or will a design copyright work as well?

D. 1.Assuming you would use cheap labour (local I would assume) would you want to oversee production and farm out marketing? or 2. farm out production and marketing? #1 will get you better returns but is a lot more long term headache. 2. means patent or design copyright first, then flogging the idea and/or putting up cash for manufacture and marketing of an untested product and just low % of sales.

These options are tricky. If you can do A. on the cheap do this first even if you need to find a friendly partner with manufacturing knowledge (production engineer) or someone else with production experience.

Considering B. Comes with the result of additional costing if it would need to shipped around will that in fact be cost effective? Ronco's "Pocket Fisherman" is a good example where D-1 was started and led to millions upgrading to D-2. Under a "Patent Pending" scenerio = C. Design Copyright

While I know no inventor (myself included) likes the idea, there is no free ride bringing anything to market, either a lot of hard work or cash (usually both). Stay well away of these companies that claim they can patent and produce your idea, every one that I have seen can never claim any success ratio that is better 1 in a hundred (usually a lot less) and will charge you money upfront to even listen. Getting the kid down the block with a CAD program to run out blueprints and private "Patent Attorney" for some cheap advice is your better bet until you know the ropes.

P.S. In my experience being able to prototype yourself and some sort of early cheap production ("under the radar of the big boys") is by far the most effective start. also as above (I was working on this when the post above me was made) Marketing is easy once you have something useful in hand. Advertising it is getting easier and easier via the net if your product would have a wide usage. Costing out tho is getting harder.

Edited by trihent
  • Like 2

To true after we Invented America. and a bit of help from the French Dutch Spain France, it would be like America trying to take on Russia and China together in today's terms. even Americas democracy is British form the Magna Carter,

we forgot to patent America to.

Edited by Thongkorn

Please note:

The British did not "invent" Taxes on Tea.

That form of taxation was first imposed in China about 1300 years ago.

Edited by Chairman Mao

Please note:

The British did not "invent" Taxes on Tea.

That form of taxation was first imposed in China about 1300 years ago.

Still, the Chinese eventually had to contract out the tax collection to the Brits.

but even if the product is patented and if copied, taking the case to the court is just a disturbance in our daily lives.

First thing is you need to consider "how to" all of the below though not necessarily in the order given!

A. Creating a working prototype. Can you do your own or do you need help?

B. What is your target market? Is this something for local sales, highly specialized etc..?

C. Is it in fact patentable?. or will a design copyright work as well?

D. 1.Assuming you would use cheap labour (local I would assume) would you want to oversee production and farm out marketing? or 2. farm out production and marketing? #1 will get you better returns but is a lot more long term headache. 2. means patent or design copyright first, then flogging the idea and/or putting up cash for manufacture and marketing of an untested product and just low % of sales.

These options are tricky. If you can do A. on the cheap do this first even if you need to find a friendly partner with manufacturing knowledge (production engineer) or someone else with production experience.

Considering B. Comes with the result of additional costing if it would need to shipped around will that in fact be cost effective? Ronco's "Pocket Fisherman" is a good example where D-1 was started and led to millions upgrading to D-2. Under a "Patent Pending" scenerio = C. Design Copyright

While I know no inventor (myself included) likes the idea, there is no free ride bringing anything to market, either a lot of hard work or cash (usually both). Stay well away of these companies that claim they can patent and produce your idea, every one that I have seen can never claim any success ratio that is better 1 in a hundred (usually a lot less) and will charge you money upfront to even listen. Getting the kid down the block with a CAD program to run out blueprints and private "Patent Attorney" for some cheap advice is your better bet until you know the ropes.

P.S. In my experience being able to prototype yourself and some sort of early cheap production ("under the radar of the big boys") is by far the most effective start. also as above (I was working on this when the post above me was made) Marketing is easy once you have something useful in hand. Advertising it is getting easier and easier via the net if your product would have a wide usage. Costing out tho is getting harder.

Correct!

If you have something useful in hand that is not yet in the market, it is very easy to introduce.

I have a friend once introduced to the market a product which others already have but what he introduced has a bit difference from others. It is made in Thailand.

Not that successful that made his boss millionaire of it. But it is now sold, used and reached till USA, UK, UAE, etc. And my friend also make good earnings out of it.

Edited by DGIE
  • Like 1

A MESSAGE FROM THE QUEEN

To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up 'revocation' in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except North Dakota, which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, David Cameron, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections.

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

-----------------------

1. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour,' 'favour,' 'labour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise.' Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').

------------------------

2. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as ''like' and 'you know' is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as U.S. English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take into account the reinstated letter 'u'' and the elimination of '-ize.'

-------------------

3. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

-----------------

4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not ready to shoot grouse.

----------------------

5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

----------------------

6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

--------------------

7. The former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.

-------------------

8. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

-------------------

9. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable, as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth - see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

---------------------

10. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialect in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

---------------------

11. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

---------------------

12. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

--------------------

13.. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

-----------------

14. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

---------------

15. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

God Save the Queen!

And sometimes we just gave stuff away for free which was worth a fortune

"Although the Tizard mission was hailed as a success, especially in radar, it is possibly significant that on his return to London on the 8 October 1940, Tizard found that his job no longer existed.

Although the German bombing of the UK was largely over by the time that the new radar systems were in production, the technology such as aircraft radar and LORAN navigation greatly helped the Allied war effort in Europe and the Pacific, for example almost eliminating the threat from German submarines.

The main success of the mission had been the transfer of radar technology, but the mission also opened up channels of communication for jet engine and atomic-bomb development and is seen as one of the key events in forging the Anglo-American alliance. However, the UK was in a desperate situation and was compelled to release technology that had immense commercial value after the war."

True in what you say, in so much as Radar was in fact a British Invention. But it was in existence prior to the German Bombing of the UK. That is why a small air force against such a huge one was so successful in the Battle of Britain. They had pre-warning of a bombing raid.

But most war historians would agree that had the Germans taken this new invention more seriously, and bombed all the Radar Towers first, it could be a totally different story as to the outcome.

But there is war time inventions, that Britain did not give to the Americans, but they gave to you. It was the one that ended the war actually. It was called "The Atomic Bomb". ,

Some great bits of advice. Good to see a serious topic being given attention. I still love playing with ideas, but I'm a bit slack on the detail. Unless yours is the one in a million, selling the idea to someone else seems to be the most likely way to make money. Someone told me that the cats eye inventor did a deal that he would get 0.001 of a cent for every cats eye on the road. Smart bugger, he died a very wealthy man a few years ago.