is it hit or miss when applying for a visa.i am recentley married to a thai and want her to come to england to see if she could settle or i will sell up and move to Buriram.Are there any tips on applying i am in England and the wife is in Thailand can she apply for a visa without me being there?

Binnsy,

Yes, she can apply without you being there. She will have to show that:

You are married;

You have sufficient accommodation for the 2 of you;

You have enough money to support yourselves; and

You intend to live together permanently.

The first 3 criteria are relatively straightforward. In order to satisfy the final rule, your wife will need to demonstrate the closeness of your relationship to date. She should submit evidence of phone contact, letters, e-mails, photos etc. to show the duration of your relationship and how close it is.

In order to apply, your wife will need to have a TB test conducted and complete an application form. She should then submit all of the papers to the UK visa centre and pay the £260.00 fee (in baht) plus the service charge. The visa centre then sends the paperwork to the embassy where it will be decided if your wife can have her visa immediately, or whether an interview is required.

Scouse.

Binnsy,

Yes, she can apply without you being there. She will have to show that:

You are married;

You have sufficient accommodation for the 2 of you;

You have enough money to support yourselves; and

You intend to live together permanently.

The first 3 criteria are relatively straightforward. In order to satisfy the final rule, your wife will need to demonstrate the closeness of your relationship to date. She should submit evidence of phone contact, letters, e-mails, photos etc. to show the duration of your relationship and how close it is.

In order to apply, your wife will need to have a TB test conducted and complete an application form. She should then submit all of the papers to the UK visa centre and pay the £260.00 fee (in baht) plus the service charge. The visa centre then sends the paperwork to the embassy where it will be decided if your wife can have her visa immediately, or whether an interview is required.

Scouse.

Cheers Scouse

Do they all apply even for a holiday visa?

I've merged your 2 topics in order to make life a bit easier.

The consulate in Chiang Mai does not process visa applications. All now have to be made through the visa centre. See here for details.

For a visit visa, your wife would have to show that her trip can be paid for, that she has somewhere to stay, and that she has a good reason to return to Thailand at the end of the holiday. Bear in mind that if you live in the UK, the visa officer might not believe that your missus is only visiting. Also, if your wife were to get a visit visa and then wished to settle in the UK, she would not be able to extend it in the UK and would have to return to Thailand in order to get another visa.

Just on the off chance, as well as a British passport, do you hold one for another European country?

Scouse.

is it hit or miss when applying for a visa.i am recentley married to a thai and want her to come to england to see if she could settle or i will sell up and move to Buriram.Are there any tips on applying i am in England and the wife is in Thailand can she apply for a visa without me being there?

Why don't you ask your local immigration department rather than asking advise on this forum???

Why don't you ask your local immigration department rather than asking advise on this forum???

The whole purpose of this sub-forum is to enable members to pose immigration-related questions.

What's more, many members have a wealth of experience in dealing with such matters and are more than willing to impart their knowledge.

Carry on posting binnsy.

Scouse.

• 2 weeks later...
the £260.00 fee (in baht)

The closest thing to a mistake by Scouse...

At the "embassy exchange rate", it's more like £280.00, and of course you can't pay in Sterling just to ensure the embassy makes their profit from their inability to use regular exchange rates.

the £260.00 fee (in baht)

The closest thing to a mistake by Scouse...

At the "embassy exchange rate", it's more like £280.00, and of course you can't pay in Sterling just to ensure the embassy makes their profit from their inability to use regular exchange rates.

You are right of course re the Embassy exchange rate, yet what the Embassy does is perfectly legal and enshrined in a consular fee statutory instrument which says that up to ten percent more than the actual exchange rate can be charged. The fee for settlement visa is fixed at 260 pounds.

At the moment with a true rate of almost 72 and an embassy rate of 70 one is ACTUALLY GAINING ie . The rate for settlement fee is baht 18,200. To buy baht 18200 you pay only 253 pounds so save seven pounds ! This however is not the norm. The Embassy rate held for many months at 75 to the pound when the actual rate was 68.50/69 so an extra 10 percent was payable .