Visa/Master Card credit cards

loongdavid

Further to my previous postings re this topic I want to share the following with you.  Having already been denied a Visa credit card with both KTB and GSB banks on the basis that "we do not issue credit cards to foreigners", I thought I would try Citibank being a USA based and global bank.  I duly filled in the on-line application form, which incidentally was available in English, and was informed I would be contacted the next working day.  True to their word a young Thai male phoned me to tell me that as I was retired and did not have a work permit they would not issue me with a Visa card.  Following a long conversation that went round in endless circles, I finally extracted from him the real reason - yes, you guessed it, "we do not issue credit cards to foreigners".   I reminded him that that statement was both inflammatory and racist and was against Citibank policy.  He then said that Citibank only trades under that name in Thailand and the cards are actually issued by Bank of Thailand.  The fact that I bring monthly into Thailand an amount far in excess of any money local Thais earn was of no consequence and if I were Thai earning 5000 baht a month I would be eligible for a Visa card.  I have subsequently tried to contact Citibank USA via e-mail to bring this to their attention but they don't have an e-mail address.

PS.  Last week I made application to an o'seas bank for a Visa card and received it in the mail today - 5 days later!

I have visa and Amex from Bangkok bank. I also have a work permit and married to a Thai. The reason, I wanted to have it was that even having credit cards from my own home country, I would have the extra charge of currency fee. It lowered the cost by using a local credit card.

I keep 400,000 baht year in a thai bank account ( makes it easy for my visa) and I used that bank account in my application for the credit card. When I buy things or borrow money from the card it doesn't change anything from the bank account. It might if I stop paying my monthly credit card bills.

If the OP is able to show he has assets in Thailand, I'm sure something can be arranged. 

No assets nor work permit are required. One doesn't need to be married either.
Have some money ( conditions applied ) with them and Bangkok Bank will eventually grant the OP with the credit cards
Other banks do it as well but not Standard Chartered, not Ctitybank either.
As for the remark that the cards are issued by the Bank of Thailand, it is doubtful: they have the details on file ( as well as all future credit records) but I believe that the approval is granted by an independent agency
I will also second Suradit69 statement regarding the difficulties for a non national to get a credit card, at least in Europe ( I don't know about the States but it seems to be the same from the post): my Thai friend and I ( registered partnership) went to a bank in my country of origin. We applied, deposited 500 as required and the clerk found no problems with that. A week later, I was called and told that my partner wouldn't be allowed to open an account ( hence no credit card : Thai citizens, dixit a rather embarrassed employee, were on a black list.... ( It may have changed since 2005)
A couple of years later we eventually opened an account and got the credit cards from another bank there ( they almost declined my friend's application for a credit card, but when they noted that we would not open the account if no cards were given to my partner, they did reconsider ).
Actually this is not an issue anymore as we have got married since.
Therefore, I would say that it is easier to get what you need in Thailand if, and when, one has the funds. Nothing to do with protectionism or subtle racist induced comment. It is just that it is easier to flee when one is foreigner ( it doesn't mean that some Nationals do not miss their payments, purposely or not, it is just that banks trust that it is easier to get a hand on the bad payer's assets when it comes to nationality )
Banking is a business and everyone, in any businesses, tends to be careful when it comes to let somebody play with the business' money Edited by alyx

Heres an option. Korean Air has a visa out of US Bank and there are no forgien transaction fees. Terms are better than thai issued card and has the smart chip. Also benifits flying back to US, Korean is the cheapest and quickest back to Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a citibank credit card. The requirements have been quite simple. Income of above THB 50.000. Work permit and visa or extension of stay for at least one year. No deposit needed or any guarantor.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It  seems strange to me that you can have a credit card with a work permit, not with a state pension from abroad.

It seems easy to me to lose your job, and run out of the country.

Not so evident IMHO to lose your pension.

Many thanks to all those who took time to give me constructive comments, and to those who chose to give negative ones and be abusive - well, you try to have a nice day anyway.

Points I have been confronted with...

1.  Only US citizens can obtain a credit card at a US bank (and some others) as they require a US Social Security number which I don't have.  Likewise, making a CC application through most airlines also requires an applicant to have a US SS No.

2.  To be told when applying for a CC on a Thai bank that "foreigner's cannot get a CC" on a Thai bank is according to an official at the Thai Central Bank an illegal statement.  I had previously correctly assumed that the comment was/is both inflammatory, racist and in breach of both Thai and International law. (I've done my homework)

3.  Ones ability to skip town owing money is no less with holders of a work permit than it is with retirees holding an AO Immigration visa.  It would appear that Thai banks are adopting the easy way out by simply naively stating that "foreigners cannot get a CC".

Having said all that, I have now been able to obtain a Visa credit card from a foreign bank other than in Thailand or USA so I'm happy.  I guess we will have to wait for Thai banks to catch up with 21st century banking.

Why would that be?
Banks are keen on granting credit cards to regular income customers
Of course the risk might be greater with foreigners but I am sure it is taken in consideration that these working people would think twice before spending more than they can afford
Statistically they certainly do not represent a great risk, I guess ( although I have no evidence of that )

Many thanks to all those who took time to give me constructive comments, and to those who chose to give negative ones and be abusive - well, you try to have a nice day anyway.

Points I have been confronted with...

1.  Only US citizens can obtain a credit card at a US bank (and some others) as they require a US Social Security number which I don't have.  Likewise, making a CC application through most airlines also requires an applicant to have a US SS No.

2.  To be told when applying for a CC on a Thai bank that "foreigner's cannot get a CC" on a Thai bank is according to an official at the Thai Central Bank an illegal statement.  I had previously correctly assumed that the comment was/is both inflammatory, racist and in breach of both Thai and International law. (I've done my homework)

3.  Ones ability to skip town owing money is no less with holders of a work permit than it is with retirees holding an AO Immigration visa.  It would appear that Thai banks are adopting the easy way out by simply naively stating that "foreigners cannot get a CC".

Having said all that, I have now been able to obtain a Visa credit card from a foreign bank other than in Thailand or USA so I'm happy.  I guess we will have to wait for Thai banks to catch up with 21st century banking.

Hey , I am glad you have got what you need.
I am a bit confused by your three remarks, and the conclusion
Would you care to establish the difference between remark 1 and the remarks 2 and 3
To me, they seem to be stating exactly the same conditions
I might add, regarding the conclusion, and reflecting your first remark, as a foreigner ( I am not a US citizen! that is being a foreigner! isn't it?) I wouldn't be entitled to a credit card in the States whereas in Thailand I am. Edited by alyx

It  seems strange to me that you can have a credit card with a work permit, not with a state pension from abroad.

It seems easy to me to lose your job, and run out of the country.

Not so evident IMHO to lose your pension.

Why would that be?
Banks are keen on granting credit cards to regular income customers
Of course the risk might be greater with foreigners but I am sure it is taken in consideration that these working people would think twice before spending more than they can afford
Statistically they certainly do not represent a great risk, I guess ( although I have no evidence to support that ) Edited by alyx

It would seem that many of the 'so called conditions' that an individual bank applies to a customer making application for a CC are based (notwithstanding language difficulties) on the beliefs of the individual bank employees own interpretation of the bank's policy.  Or, if they don't know, they will make them up as they go along.  Hence the example whereby an application in Bangkok may succeed but an application on the same bank in, say, Korat, will not.  I would have happily tried the Bangkok Bank but there isn't a branch within 130kms of me and not an ATM to be seen.  Anyway, all is well and I live to enjoy spending my money.  

I have a Visa Credit Card (actually a Toyota/Visa) that was first issued by a Bangkok Bank branch in Chiang Rai -- in 1996. The way I got the card was simple -- it's called "establishing a business relationship", much the same as one would go about establishing a business relationships in the west.  A personal friend who already had a business relationship with the branch recommended me.

I have an account at the bank, but the balance has not always been as high as the credit card limit. 

My renewal card was upgraded to "platinum" and good for 4 years.

Yes, I am a "foreigner".  No, I am not a business owner nor work permit holder.

• Like 1

It would seem that many of the 'so called conditions' that an individual bank applies to a customer making application for a CC are based (notwithstanding language difficulties) on the beliefs of the individual bank employees own interpretation of the bank's policy.  Or, if they don't know, they will make them up as they go along.  Hence the example whereby an application in Bangkok may succeed but an application on the same bank in, say, Korat, will not.  I would have happily tried the Bangkok Bank but there isn't a branch within 130kms of me and not an ATM to be seen.  Anyway, all is well and I live to enjoy spending my money.  

Really?

Bangkok Bank Kantharalak 524 Moo 1 Sinpradit Rd. knong Ya lat Kantharalak Sisaket 33110 Tel : 0-4562-8045, 0-4562-8048, 0-4462-8051 
Bangkok Bank Kanthararom 85/5 Moo 6 Ubon-Si Sa Ket Rd. Khoon Kanthararom Sisaket 33130 Tel : 0-4565-1030 
Bangkok Bank Khukhan 599 Moo 6 Ban Phum Huai Nae Khukhan Sisaket 33140 Tel : 0-4563-0031, 0-4563-0040 
Bangkok Bank Rasi Salai 283 Moo 2 Ratpracha Rd. Muang Dong Rasi Salai Sisaket 33160 Tel : 0-4568-1091, 0-4568-2485-7 
Bangkok Bank Si Sa Ket 975/6-8 Khukhan Rd. Nai Muang Muang District Sisaket 33000 Tel : 0-4561-1706, 0-4561-2202-3 
Bangkok Bank Yang Chum Noi 322 Moo 3 Yang Chum Noi Yang Chum Noi Sisaket 33190 Tel : 0-4568-7127, 0-4568-7125

• 6 months later...
If a foreigner requires a citibank card the minimum monthly income required is 80k baht per month which should reflect in ur bank statement with a proof of work in a company in Thailand.work permit a letter from employer

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have Gold Visa Credit Card from Autayha Bank and Platinum from Citi Bank, Thailand, no over seas bank accounts, not extensions of other accounts.

Maybe they are being polite and you dont meet their risk criteria? 

I 'think' this has been covered many times before, but, here's my experience. I am here on a retirement extension and currently have an SCB Platinum credit card. The procedure was that I transfer money into a fixed term savings account, the passbook is held at my branch, and I get a credit limit of 50% of whats held on deposit. 

Oh, and I should add, I do live in Isaan not Bangkok, so this isn't limited to the metropolis

Edited by GinBoy2

I don't consider it to be a credit card..bcz bank plays 100% safe on ur money so it's just like debit card first u deposit and then u can use a part of it through ur card

Well that may be true, however there are many things that you can't do with a Thai Debit Card, try online purchases, and need a 'credit' card. In the US the concept of a secured credit card isn't new and is frequently used, maybe thats why I don't really see an issue with it, I get interest on my money and I pay everything off every month...and SCB actually give a pretty decent rewards program to boot

I don't consider it to be a credit card..bcz bank plays 100% safe on ur money so it's just like debit card first u deposit and then u can use a part of it through ur card

Well that may be true, however there are many things that you can't do with a Thai Debit Card, try online purchases, and need a 'credit' card. In the US the concept of a secured credit card isn't new and is frequently used, maybe thats why I don't really see an issue with it, I get interest on my money and I pay everything off every month...and SCB actually give a pretty decent rewards program to boot

I dont know about a Thai debit card, as I dont have one,

but if they have the visa, logo I am willing to bet thy work like any other debit card with the Visa logo.

I have a US issued debit card, with the Visa logo that I use for all my online purchases, airline tickets, hotel reservations and car rentals in the US and around the world, with no problem ever.

I have a dedicated checking account from which the card is issued, in which I only keep a couple of thousand dollars to cover my purchases,is the card is compromised I can only be hit for that amount and the bank will refund it with in 5 days. If I need more funds to cover purchases, I transfer funds electronically from my other  accounts.  

I actually have a credit card from krungsri. Is was very simple, but is a secured debit card . If you put for istance 100.000 thb in the account you have a credit line of 90.000 thb. The credit card is also free, and when you spend they give you points. Also there is an insurance against fraud and a very good application for iPhone where you can check everything and even pay with the application the balance of the credit card . I actually think is a very good solution for a foreigner living here . Hope this help

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 2